PDA

View Full Version : Carded ROTS figures!

Battle Droid
11-15-2004, 09:54 PM
http://sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=30766

Kidhuman
11-15-2004, 09:57 PM
Hate the packaging, Obi's right arm looks like it needs to be amputated. Hoepfully it looks better in person.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-15-2004, 10:30 PM
I think these look fantastic!! I cna't wait to see them on the pegs next year!!! :D

Rocketboy
11-15-2004, 10:31 PM
Action features...wonderful.
:rolleyes:

Darth Mina
11-15-2004, 10:38 PM
Can't wait for these. thanks to the pakage I won't have to buy two of each It looks like I will beable to display them without opening :D

Darth Jax
11-15-2004, 10:59 PM
the packaging looks horrible. looks like lots of easily crushed bubbles. and the return of action features, how exciting.

Reefer Shark
11-15-2004, 11:16 PM
I really don't like that new packaging, way too garish IMO. The only figure I'm really interested in out of these four is the astromech droid. He looks pretty damn cool.

Some of those other figures (on the cardbacks) look really promising to me. I'm looking forward to seeing some better pics of those two Greivous figures, and the Clone Trooper.

Turbowars
11-15-2004, 11:51 PM
I agree, the packing sucks, but it is growing on me. I think it's just because the astro looks so cool as Reefer said. No mater how bad we hate the card we all will be running to the SW section to get them.:p

AmanaMatt
11-16-2004, 12:14 AM
Damn, those look horrible - I'll pass on all 4.

plasticfetish
11-16-2004, 02:06 AM
Action features...wonderful.
:rolleyes:Yeah, my thoughts exactly. But it does seem that Hasbro has the good sense to not use button activated gimmicks, as these are all the "squeeze legs" kind. At least they wont look stupid with big buttons coming out of their backs.

So...

Tion Medon looks cool to me. A basic alien with a weapon -- good stuff. R4-G9 looks super, he comes with some kind of holo-projection accessory it seems. Mace looks really good. I know it's hard to tell from these photos, but I think this one's gonna be a good one. (I hope! Most of the others have sucked.) No crazy face Mace this time. As for Obi-Wan, I really hope this one's decent. We haven't had a good Obi-Wan figure since... since... well, this one better be good. His beard looks a bit too dark in the photo, but at least this time he won't have a lame braid or have hair like a crazed drifter.

On the back of the cards, it looks like some good stuff. Looks like Anakin, Yoda, a Super Battle Droid (this time with some decent articulation I hope), Chewbacca, Clone Trooper, R2-D2 with little jet things, Grievous in a cloak, and then some other droid (or maybe it's Grievous without the cloak and a bunch of sabers?)

The cards are OK. I'm not wild about them, but they're not terrible. There's no way I'm gonna be able to find cases to put them in, so I'm pretty sure that I'll only buy a few to keep carded. But who knows? They may end up looking much better in person.

All in all, seems waaaaay cooler than what we had for AOTC so far.

evenflow
11-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Wow, action features, great. Anyway, its not that bad. I wish we could get clearer pictures on the figures ont he back.

LusiferSam
11-16-2004, 12:19 PM
You the funny thing is I was just thinking about the sneak preview figures first thing this morning. And now we have pictures, go figure. Like just about every one, the cards don't do much for me. But then again what did I care, I'm an opener. The action features' return is no big surprise to me. I still don't know if I'm going buy any of these. Hasbro just hasn't done a good job of convincing me to collect again.

Slicker
11-16-2004, 02:08 PM
I don't like the packaging it's just not Star Warsy and it looks down right cheesy. When pics of just the card were posted it looked good but with figs inside of them they pretty bad.

Glamdring7920
11-16-2004, 04:59 PM
Some people seem to think that there are two General Greiveous's (sp?) on the back of these cards. Well, it isn't. If you look at the text to the left of the pictures, then you can plainly see that the text is not the same length. The figure on the right (the one with all of the lightsabers) is General Greiveous, and the one on the left is too hard for me to make out, but this post is just to clear up any confusion that people may have.

jad
11-16-2004, 05:22 PM
Some people seem to think that there are two General Greiveous's (sp?) on the back of these cards. Well, it isn't. If you look at the text to the left of the pictures, then you can plainly see that the text is not the same length. The figure on the right (the one with all of the lightsabers) is General Greiveous, and the one on the left is too hard for me to make out, but this post is just to clear up any confusion that people may have.

One of them is General Grevious, while the other is one of his body guards. I wonder if the seller would be willing to send out better quality images if you asked him?

Battle Droid
11-16-2004, 06:06 PM
One of the Grievous' is a Sneak Preview Grievous, the other is in the basic assortment.

JEDIpartner
11-16-2004, 07:40 PM
At least the action features seem to be incorporated into highly articulated figures rather than action posed, single-purpose figures.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-16-2004, 07:43 PM
Meh, the figures are okay but I hate the cards. It almost looks too busy.

Mace Windu looks pretty good, though the action feature makes him lose points. Hopefully it's done well. He hardly has any accessories!

Obi-Wan, same thing. I'm glad that he comes with a saber and hilt, so they don't break like Saga.

Tion Meddon, we've seen before, I like it.

R4-G9 is pretty sweet. I like the holo projector, and the color scheme.

Here's what I make out from the cardbacks:
*Preview Starfighter - what we expected, I wonder if there will be one without Anakin? This doesn't look like Anakin's anyway, maybe we'll get Obi-Wan's without any figures and then a repaint as Anakin's.
*Anakin - too hard to see, can't tell if it's the one in the carry case.
*Yoda - this one was obvious.
*Super Battle Droid - this one better deliver, the other ones suck.
*Chewbacca - oh no, this looks like the VOTC one! He's in the same pose as on the VOTC cardbacks, this makes me worry. He better at least have a new head.
*Clone Trooper - here we go! Hopefully this is just the SA one with a ROTS head. Or, if they're in there, a straight re-pack of the SA clone.
*R2-D2 - we knew this was coming. This one looks to have something coming out of his legs, maybe it's a better version of the flying figure?
*Grievous's Bodyguard - can't tell much from this pic but he looks cool. I'll have to get two to flank my Grievous!
*General Grievous (Slashing Action) - looks like he really does hold 4 sabers. I wonder if it'll look doofy in the film. I bet the feature will make him whack his sabers together and have them fly across the room. :D

InsaneJediGirl
11-16-2004, 08:26 PM
The figures look okay,I would need to see them in person though or much better images to truly judge.I hate the packaging though,the bubble shape looks like it should be used for Buzz Lightyear or some similar Disney character.I open most of my figures but it isnt the point.

Too bad they didnt bring back the Vader head.Would have looked much better with some lava.

aceguide
11-17-2004, 10:23 AM
I like the look of the new cards. I also like the look of the new figures. There's another picture up at RS that shows the flyer included with the figs. I am looking forward to Anakin's starfighter - as well as the wookie super soaker!

Battle Droid
11-17-2004, 10:33 AM
Emperor Palpatine & R2-D2 carded!

http://www.behindthetoys.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7007

AmanaMatt
11-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Ok, the Emperor looks really scary and I have enough R2(s)....

Battle Droid
11-17-2004, 11:05 AM
Better pic of the back of Obi-Wan's figure card.

http://www.behindthetoys.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7008

Now showing a Darth Vader figure.

joe-da
11-17-2004, 11:26 AM
Action features disappoint me.... I'm hoping (fruitlessly) that there will be "regular" (& decent) versions of all the ruined-by-action-feature figures the day of release at Midnight Madness...

Battle Droid
11-17-2004, 12:30 PM
The back of Chewbacca's figure card.

From, http://www.behindthetoys.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7007

http://www.thompsonmotorsports.com/chewieIII.jpg

JEDIpartner
11-17-2004, 01:15 PM
Again... it doesn't look like the action features are going to impede the actual sculpt and overall playability of the figure. I'm pleased so far.

Slicker
11-17-2004, 02:06 PM
There's just something not right about the Emperor. He looks too old IMO.

evenflow
11-17-2004, 02:18 PM
I want the Emperor figure right now!!!!!!!!!! That is so awesome.

hango fett
11-17-2004, 05:30 PM
i don't like hoe the emperor looks on the front of the package...the picture they show makes him look too fat. other than that and the "wookie rage" it's all good
HF

LTBasker
11-17-2004, 05:41 PM
I can't really decide on these...the packaging gives off a feel as if it's just a line created for some two-bit kid's movie, made to look all flashy and such with no real point other than to attract attention- no matter what kind of attention. It's too much like the Shrek 2 packaging- but worse. I have a horrible feeling that the edges of Vader's helmet on the back are going to be prone to very easy damage.

The figures aren't looking too bad though, alot better than they did for AOTC. But I can't stand the look of the Emperor, is he going to be played by Future Dr. Smith from the Lost in Space movie? He looks ancient, fat, and like they used forty too many layers on the make-up. But I guess that's not Hasbro's fault really.. I just wish they would stop with the hood being raised above the head. It's not as bad as the Saga Emperor, but still pretty bad looking.

On the plus side though the Clone appears to be the SA Clone body just with a new head, woohoo. Hope that's not real hard to find.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Ooh, the R2-D2 figure looks awesome! Better flying rockets and a whole lot of plugins. I wonder why he'll need those?

This shows that Palpatine will become Emperor in ROTS. He looks too old and ROTJ-esque already, why does his skin already look so bad? Maybe something on Mustafar? Or Anakin shocks him too much? (Speaking of which, if you look closely on the Mace figure you can see the shock effect form R3-T7, so Mace will get shocked.)

I'm glad to see that Chewbacca isn't just the VOTC version. I think I need to see the figure's front until I make a judgment.

It looks like the cards for Obi-Wan, Mace, Tion, and R4-G9 were the overseas versions, the newer ones don't have so much writing on the bottom.

Darth Alex
11-17-2004, 06:22 PM
Again... it doesn't look like the action features are going to impede the actual sculpt and overall playability of the figure. I'm pleased so far.
Right on...your quote sums it up.

For as angry as I am at the lousy distirbution in NE PA right now(Fortuna...did you get lost here on the way from CHINA?), I HAVE to admit that these are lookin pretty good.
From what I see, I'm still buyin figures come February and April.
That General 'G' with the limb flailing and multi saber action sure looks sweet.

And I lost a bet. I did NOT think that these photos would surface before New Year's Eve. Oh, well. Spoiler mania, runnin wild, BROTHER!:greedy:

Tycho
11-17-2004, 09:04 PM
The only thing new and shocking I saw was Grevious' Body Guard Droid.

That looks COOL!

R2D2 is a nice and pleasant surprise I'll look forward to though.

The Greivous with all the lightsabers might be very cool - but I'll reserve judgement on it now.

I open them, so I'm not all that worried about the packaging. For kids it will sell. In fact the big words "WOOKIEE RAGE" and "DROID ATTACK!" etc. make it all more comic book fun and taken so less seriously!

Of course the OTC packaging was the best they EVER have done (with VOTC close behind it), but for the movie promo, I approve if it will keep kids buying and product moving off the shelves fast.

For you carded-collector guys: I give you my sympathies. This will look really wierd on your wall - lol ROTFLMAO! lol

It will be fun having these displayed on a wall when you have company over and they ask "You collect Star Wars toys?" and "How old are you?"

It's a sign guys: This is close to the last year and then it's time to grow up, LOL.