PDA

View Full Version : Will the basic figure price increase affect your collecting?

JediTricks
11-15-2004, 11:36 PM
As Jaff reported in another thread, Walmart is raising prices on the POTC figures thanks to Hasbro raising the price a buck, which will also affect Ep 3 figures. This isn't the first time Hasbro has raised the MSRP on basic figures above $5, and I believe that last price increase hurt sales (though it could have been the fault of the items that were being released or simply the marketing flood of Ep 1 overwhelming the market).

My question is, will this price increase change your collecting habits at all? For me, I was already planning to decrease my SW basic figure purchases just due to my lack of enthusiasm at what was coming, but knowing for sure that the very next new figure I pick up will MSRP for $6 instead of $5 may put a bigger damper on my collecting habits than I was expecting, to the point where even mildly-interested purchases may end up getting passed up. So how about you, will $6 a piece change how many figures you buy?

dindae
11-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Ultimately no. It didn't impact my collecting the last few times they tried it and it won't now. As I mention in the other thread I can't continue to ask Hasbro to give me more out of a figure and not be willing to see a price increase. This may affect the other things I collect like the TCG or DVD but not much in the grand scheme of things.

evenflow
11-16-2004, 12:10 PM
Sadly, it really wont stop me from buying.

Slicker
11-16-2004, 02:05 PM
I don't see it affecting my collecting. It is only a dollar and over the long run I don't see it costing me more than $100 extra a year at most. Except for next year but that is perfectly fine with me.

Ji'dai
11-16-2004, 04:31 PM
The Episode I price increase did impact my buying habits (that and a lack of enthusiasm for merchandise from a film I was ambivalent about). I still tried to collect the entire basic figure line but began to pass on many deluxe figures, vehicles, and playsets for the first time.

Even with the price increase, I will probably continue buying two of all the basic figures so long as they are not releases. But I'll likely pass on other E3 product; or wait until it hits clearance in order to make up the additional expense of the basic figures.

Jaff
11-16-2004, 06:55 PM
This will not affect my buying except any rehashes are out of the question now.

Darth Jax
11-16-2004, 09:04 PM
price increases will affect how many of every figure i buy. i'll still buy one of every figure, but may not buy as many duplicates to open. i'll pick up most of the openers when the inevitable clearance prices happen.

it's the other toys i purchase that will suffer most. if i'm spending more on star wars i have less to spend on them.

JediTricks
11-16-2004, 09:48 PM
I'm surprised at common theme in this thread, one that I wonder if Hasbro has considered. We're talking about an extra buck a figure, but that extra buck is apparently going to cost Hasbro sales in other related departments. For me, it's probably going to be the opposite, the figures will be a harder sell than ever, but I think I'll be more forgiving on vehicles (I guess because they are cooler to me and backwards-compatible with figures I already own).

Kidhuman
11-16-2004, 09:49 PM
I found htis wave this morning. I knew about the price raise in them. The pegs said 4.77 for SW figures that they were on, so they gave them to me at that price. So, if and when you find them, check the stickers, they have to give it to you for that price. And Jaff, dont be emailing the stores telling them to change the stickers. :D :beard:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-16-2004, 10:45 PM
They've been as high as $7 before (Episode I), so I don't think the Saga price of $5.88 will affect anything for me.

plasticfetish
11-17-2004, 03:53 AM
This isn't the first time Hasbro has raised the MSRP on basic figures above $5, and I believe that last price increase hurt sales (though it could have been the fault of the items that were being released or simply the marketing flood of Ep 1 overwhelming the market).Did the Episode 1 price increase hurt sales more than the drop in quality that we saw with most of the cheaper Saga figures?

I remember this subject coming up before, and so I tend to think that Hasbro's been paying attention to what we say around here -- but I have no problem paying a little more for a better quality toy. In this case though, they really must be the same (or better) quality as the old POTJ or Ep.1 figures.

If these toys end up being shlocky, poorly constructed, with bad paint and with lame gimmmicks, than they aren't going to be worth the increase. They won't be worth anything I suppose. But, if they're nicely done -- with great VOTC style articulation (which it looks like some do have) as well as great detailing, then they'll be worth an extra buck.

Either way, raising the price means most serious collectors will be a little more critical of the line. So I do hope that Hasbro pays more attention to quality. I think that the success of the ROTS line will help determine how far they take this entire toy franchise into the future. I can see terrible sales killing the line -- and just the same, I can see great sales helping them to decide that they may want to continue producing Star Wars toys for a long while.

DeadJedi
11-17-2004, 08:30 AM
Hasbro Star Wars figures are already very poor quality for money compared to other similar toys (i.e. collectible figures) on the market. They're nice and all, but too much money for too little product compared to, say, LOTR figures which are 30-40% bigger and 30-40% cheaper. As for vehicles, this goes double and triple again. Vehicle prices are just ludicrous.

Having said that, I have a very narrow collecting interest which is Anakin, Amidala and Vader so I can't see it impacting that much on me. Even with European and Canadian variations, I won't be buying more than 30 basic figures in 2005 and maybe 6-9 ulta/super/valuepack/2-pack bundles. But it means I won't go for the Anakin or Vader vehicles which may be available if I have to spend an extra $30-40.

OC47150
11-17-2004, 08:31 AM
The price of SW figures has fluctuated over the years. I'm not surprised by the new increase. It was bound to happen. And no, it won't effect my buying.

dindae
11-17-2004, 08:39 AM
So I do hope that Hasbro pays more attention to quality. I think that the success of the ROTS line will help determine how far they take this entire toy franchise into the future. I can see terrible sales killing the line -- and just the same, I can see great sales helping them to decide that they may want to continue producing Star Wars toys for a long while.

I read somewhere that Hasbro is planning on making figures for Star Wars, GI Joe, and Transformers for another five years. Of course terrible sales can always change plans. Since they have confirmed there will be a live action TV show and Animated show after the movie then I can see the line continuing for a long time.

"The "Star Wars" brand will live long after the last "Star Wars" movie. We're taking "Star Wars" to the television medium, where we've already had great success with our Emmy-winning animated series on the Cartoon Network.

As a result, we will have new live-action and animated TV shows over the next few years, and I think there's a bright future there for games based on these new properties as well as original "Star Wars" games like a new real-time strategy PC game that Petroglyph is developing for next year."

Jim Ward
LucasArts

jpc1193
11-17-2004, 08:40 AM
After reading all the comments in favorable reply, Hasbro must be elated!
Not many collectors can afford to pay for the already overpriced figures.
One figure = 2 or 3 gallons of gas.
It cost me 2 gallons of gas to get to the store in the first place.
If I buy one figure, it will cost me $10!
Therefore, I will be forced to be more selective in the future.
I will also pay more visits to The Dollar Store, where many will end up at, after others finally realise the effect of the increase.

Darth Jade
11-17-2004, 08:58 AM
They always start out high and then end up at half price or less on clearance when the stores realize that the market for SW figures is in the hands of the hard core fans like us and not the average shopper. You'd think Lucasfilms would get that too and market then to us and create the more abstact characters that we ask for. I mean how many Anakins do you need? And how many people actually like the "force action" figures?

waboritas
11-17-2004, 09:12 AM
Funny this got brought up yesterday. I am responsible for the purchasing of paper and janitorial products at my company. I met with my account manager to discuss increases in products we purchase from them yesterday. The price of paper, cardboard and fuel is going up. Fuel has to do with the manufacture of plastic and he mentioned toy prices would be affected by this as well as an example.

I agree with most of you in that I will be sellective what I buy and wait for them to go on clearance or on sale. We all know it will happen, its just too bad all these KBtoy stores are closing as they were one of the better outlets to score clearance items. I am not going to rush when they get released next year as I know I'll be able to get them marked down. We all remember how "tough" it was to get Count Dooku, Yoda and Anakin Hangar the first couple weeks after Ep. II was released and they became huge peg warmers. Patience, Padawans.

aceguide
11-17-2004, 10:28 AM
No - it will not effect my buying habots.

BUT

I think its a huge mistake. While they will make their extra 100 cents on collectors it will hurt them with the kids. $5 is the perfect price for a SW fig - 2 for 10; 4 for 20 - it just makes sense. Kids can weasle $5 easy. $5 and change is different...

Droid
11-17-2004, 10:33 AM
I will likely do with Episode III what I did with Episode II, buy a couple of figures when they were first released, and then wait for the prices to drop like a stone because the market is overflooded with product. I think I bought most of my Epiosde II figures for around $3.

Hasbro insists this is a line of toys for kids, well I think $1 price difference makes a huge difference to kids and makes kids less likely to buy. Hasbro either doesn't know what it is doing or secretly know collectors are their main customers.

I've seen Episode III packaging and I think they are doing what they did with the "Vintage" line, providing a lot more packaging then necessary to somehow justify the price.

I am sure not going to pay an extra dollar for a figure with a large silver button on the back so his arms make a motion, I can tell you that!

I'll be happy to pay an extra buck for the upcoming cantina aliens, but like others have said, this price increase will make me buy less duplicates and rehashes.

I for one will wait for sales and clearances. Just hope it doesn't kill the line! I still need Yarna and Hem Dazon.

tgr3328
11-17-2004, 10:43 AM
I too will buy just the ones that are really interesting and wait for the clearance sales to get the rest. They will no doubt also have a price drop as they did after EpII came out.

Rocketboy
11-17-2004, 11:12 AM
Is $1 really that big of a deal? For the most part, these figures have been roughly the same price since the beginning of the line, nearly 10 years ago, with a few short-lived price hikes. How many things out there cost the same amount today as they did 10 years ago? Not too many.

But, the higher price won't affect my buying habits too much. I tend to only buy what I really like, which as of late, hasn't bben too much.
I'll probably only pick up 5 - 10 Episode III figures in May, if that many.

darthverbo
11-17-2004, 11:19 AM
Why are they raising it a buck? They don't need to. They just want to line their pockets even more by raising prices on the most successful toy line in history.
It may affect my buying because I always want one to open, as well as one to keep MOC. I may have to give up the second purchase.
Why screw the most loyal toy fans Hasbro/Kenner has ever had???????

bobafrett
11-17-2004, 11:21 AM
I found the first 5 of the 05' series line. When I went to purchase them, they came up at $5.88, even though the peg said $4.88, and this is at the Wal-Mart that I work at. I told the cashier, but paid the price anyway, less my 10% employee discount. If I see the more expensive priced figures though, sitting on the $4.88 pegs next time, I will certailly wait for an associate to do a price check before forking over an extra dollar per figure.

I doubt the new price though will affect my collecting habits much at all, though I will be less likely to buy a second figure to open at the new higher price.

Ric Olie
11-17-2004, 12:32 PM
I wish the prices would stay them same but a price increase was going to happen. Atleast the figures are still cheaper then the Episode I line. My Dad works for Walmart so I can use his 10% discount on them as I have done in the past.

My money has always been limited so I'll only buy the figures if I really love the character or if that the only one left. If you don't buy it when you see it you probably won't see it again.

If you remember the AotC figures were 5.77 at Walmart when they first hit the shelves in April and they lowered them to 4.77 after the film came out. That could happen again.

realst8guy72
11-17-2004, 01:18 PM
i'll never quit!!!!!!!!!!!! i mean hell............. if the rebel aliance quit fighting when the empire built a second death star, we would be screwed !!!!!

Bobby Fett
11-17-2004, 07:42 PM
A price increase won't affect my buying habits.

To me, the value is purely in the enjoyment of collecting and displaying.

Kidhuman
11-17-2004, 10:02 PM
I found the first 5 of the 05' series line. When I went to purchase them, they came up at $5.88, even though the peg said $4.88, and this is at the Wal-Mart that I work at. I told the cashier, but paid the price anyway, less my 10% employee discount. If I see the more expensive priced figures though, sitting on the $4.88 pegs next time, I will certailly wait for an associate to do a price check before forking over an extra dollar per figure.

I doubt the new price though will affect my collecting habits much at all, though I will be less likely to buy a second figure to open at the new higher price.

Frett, the same thing happened to me and you are dam nsure I saved a buck on every figure. It was like getting a rebate, 5 figures, 5.50 saved. By law they have to give it to you for the price. And then with your discount it would have been like 4.30 for each figure.

I will not stop buying them. The only thing that irks me is the packaging. They must have made a deal with Rubbermaid, because these new packages wont be easily stotred in Rubbermaid totes like the past lines. I fit all of the POTF2, and Ep1 figures into a huge tote. Now we will be lucky to get ten of these into a tote.

Val Da Car
11-17-2004, 11:16 PM
To me, If the Ep3 figures articulation and paint jobs are closer in quality to the VOTC line (which btw the R2 in the pics I have seen look to be the VOTC R2-D2) the EXTRA BUCK is worth it!!!

Darth Mina
11-17-2004, 11:24 PM
Why is one dollar going to stop anyone? If 50 figures get released next year that is going to cost me 50 extra bucks but you can't not really put a price to the happines that getting new figures.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-18-2004, 09:45 PM
The price increase will not effect my buying habits at all. I don't think $5 figures made me go out and buy more figures, if anything I have cutback in the last few years. If I like a figure, I will get it, whether it cost $5 or $8 the price many of us paid back during the Episode 1 line.

03springfield
11-18-2004, 11:57 PM
The "What's another buck?" mentality is what Hasbro is counting on.
That's why they are raising the price of the BASIC figures now. Seven months of conditioning to the 5.88 price tag. So when May 05 comes around and the ROTS figure go to $6.99 we'll be chanting that mantra again.

JediTricks
11-19-2004, 02:50 AM
Did the Episode 1 price increase hurt sales more than the drop in quality that we saw with most of the cheaper Saga figures?

I remember this subject coming up before, and so I tend to think that Hasbro's been paying attention to what we say around here -- but I have no problem paying a little more for a better quality toy. In this case though, they really must be the same (or better) quality as the old POTJ or Ep.1 figures.I don't think we're seeing any difference in quality of toys, only quality of designs which is not something we the consumer would pay different for. Comparing the sculpts from Ep 1 to Saga, Saga has the superior sculpting much of the time, and besides the action feature figures, has better articulation, construction, and accessories. Heck, Saga also has MORE accessories much of the time.

I have a hard time paying another buck for these when I can go to WM and pick up a 6" Marvel Legends or LOTR figure with bigger or more accessories, better sculpting, equal or better paint, incredibly superior articulation, AND more expensive packaging! Sure, they don't have to pay a licensing fee on Marvel Legends (though they do on LOTR), but there is a ton of stuff going on in that line which more than compensates for that issue. Hell, I just saw a Spider-Man 2 super-poseable Spidey at WM for $4.88, this thing is nearly as limber as a human being, has a fantastic sculpt, and a large (if lame) accessory -- how is Hasbro going to try to compete with that when even Target asks only $6 for that Spidey?

The price of SW figures has fluctuated over the years. I'm not surprised by the new increase. It was bound to happen. And no, it won't effect my buying. Hasbro has tried to do what Mattel tried to do with their recent Batman & Masters of the Universe, try to get everybody in the industry to push the average price of figures up, but kids don't seem to want to spend that much for these figures and it ends up forcing the prices to go back down or the lines to end up folding.

I think its a huge mistake. While they will make their extra 100 cents on collectors it will hurt them with the kids. $5 is the perfect price for a SW fig - 2 for 10; 4 for 20 - it just makes sense. Kids can weasle $5 easy. $5 and change is different... I agree, though I think considering how many great figures are out there at the 5" and 6" scale for $6 or $7, I think $5 is the absolute maximum Hasbro can get kids to part with for these tiny figures with less accessories or articulation.

I know costs of raw materials have gone up, but technology has helped bring the costs back down too. If you make an extra buck off 50,000 collectors but lose out on the $5 of 25,000 kids who didn't end up buying the toys, there's a huge loss seen rather than a small gain.

If you remember the AotC figures were 5.77 at Walmart when they first hit the shelves in April and they lowered them to 4.77 after the film came out. That could happen again.You're right, I totally forgot about that. I refused to buy figures there until they lowered their price back to $5.

The "What's another buck?" mentality is what Hasbro is counting on.
That's why they are raising the price of the BASIC figures now. Seven months of conditioning to the 5.88 price tag. So when May 05 comes around and the ROTS figure go to $6.99 we'll be chanting that mantra again. Sounds to me like someone remembers how Episode I figures got to $7. ;) It's a good point, I hope you're wrong, but you could easily be right.

plasticfetish
11-19-2004, 05:13 AM
I don't think we're seeing any difference in quality of toys, only quality of designs which is not something we the consumer would pay different for.Yeah, well... the whole "quality" issue remains to be seen. These things could end up being garbage, but I think that some of the last years better figures -- cloud car pilot, general Lando, Dutch Vander or Dengar -- are more the kind of things that we're going to see. Those have been great in all sorts of ways (I think.)

Comparing the sculpts from Ep.1 to Saga, Saga has the superior sculpting much of the time, and besides the action feature figures, has better articulation, construction, and accessories. Heck, Saga also has MORE accessories much of the time.Again, yeah... I pretty much agree. Sure, the Saga figures had more detail than Ep.1, and will always stand out as being more complex, but I totally think that much of that worked to the line's disadvantage. I still frigging hate most of those push button gimmick early Saga figures, and as nice as they look carded or posed on a shelf, they're terrible toys to play with. That, and I really think that the production quality was in general really bad. God... look back at that "Throne Room Duel" Vader with it's horrid gimmick that didn't work most of the time, and it's parts that don't fit together very well. I opened two of those things, and they're both incredibly disappointing -- they look good on the shelf, but don't touch 'em because they're flimsy garbage.

So yeah... I agree, $5 is a much better price all around. It's obvious that they can make and sell really decent figures for that price -- so it does seem that they're simply taking advantage of the fact that we'll buy 'em anyway. But again, it's gonna depend on the overall quality. Look... we payed $10 for VOTC figures, so now Hasbro is thinking, "Gee, if they'll pay twice what those figures are really worth, an extra dollar for these will be nothing." Now, paying $7 for a similar quality figure almost seems like a treat, IF they really are well made... which remains to be seen. If we go back to poorly made figures, with silly gimmicks that ruin the toy (and genuinely bore kids I think) then I'm gonna be pretty PO'd that I had to pay an extra buck. If they're great, then I'll get over the price increase -- though I'll still probably wait to get a lot of stuff when it goes on clearance. ;)

kool-aid killer
11-20-2004, 05:27 PM
A dollar price increase doesnt bother me, though i think $5 is where Star Wars figures fit in terms of price compared to other figures. Like many have already said, for a dollar or so more you can already get some great figures from another line which will make the choice between Star Wars and Toy Line X figure a lot more favorable to Toy Line X should the price raise.

JON9000
11-21-2004, 02:54 PM
The price increase is a MISTAKE. Star Wars figures need more articulation to support higher prices. ROTS figures will sell well early on because of the movie buzz, but this time around I am going to pass on the initial rush and either wait for better versions to come out or buy them when they inevitably go on clearance.

Star Wars stuff is generally over priced. I saw a large Spider-Man figure with 60(!) points of articulation for less than the price of the VOTC 12 inchers.

Knightfall
11-21-2004, 07:12 PM
I was already going to be buying fewer figures next year just because I'm not interested in prequel stuff, but now it looks like I might not even be getting those. If I've got $5 in my pocket and I'm really in the mood for a figure, Star Wars is pretty much the only game in town. But for $6, I'll have to choose among Star Wars, Gundam, Justice League, etc...Star Wars' biggest edge was its lower price, and now that it's gone, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll be exploring their options.

LTBasker
11-21-2004, 09:23 PM
"It's only one buck" - For one figure, yes. How many people are only going to be buying a single figure?? A buck per figure adds up.

29 figures are being released at once, right? So with 2 of each figure at current prices it would be $290. Just one set would be $145. Now you add an extra $29? It'll be $178. That's quite a difference. And if you buy the 2 sets? $348.

I dunno about you, but that makes quite a difference in my book. That extra $29-58 would've been more than enough for a vehicle. Could've bought a Jedi Starfighter or more.

And what are we getting out of this? Stylized packaging? Pfft. You won't even be able to stack them against one another with this new bubble packaging, it'll be some of the most inconvient since....well it'll be the most inconvient ever. So we're supposed to pay an extra buck for even more inconvience? It was bad enough when even stacked the Saga packages took up more space than stacked POTF2/POTJ style packages.

It'll probably be even more prone to damage than usual with the way the ends of the Vader helmet are pointing out there.

Yes I realize the packaging is to attract more kids, but the OTC packaging did that too and it didn't cost $1 more.

I'm sorry but I just think that's bull for what we're getting. Below standard figures in inconvient packaging for the same price as ToyBiz's Spider-Man classics line. They're $5.88 at Wal-Mart and you get a super articulated 6" figure with the occasional base. We'll be paying the same price, for half the height and figures that hardly meet standards anymore.

I'm definitely going to be rethinking what I buy, I may just see what becomes hot and get that first then wait for the rest of the stuff to go down. I see Hasbro losing money from me unless the paint jobs are on better than they've been in years with no more figures looking like the paint was sneezed on. Maybe some actual weathering details? Some better articulation? It's doubtful we'll see this, so far from prototype images they look the same as a Saga figure.

X13VADER
11-22-2004, 06:42 AM
Well I did not think it would affect me either i was shocked when they said 7 dollars as a price. They went up 2 dollars here in michigan.:mad: .I realize that they have been at 5$ for 10 years now but a 40% increase seems a little much for me to take right now.And yes i did buy Sly Moore only cause i was already in the check out lane when they told me the price.$7.41 per figure.also i noticed sly moore has an ep1 label she was not in ep1.:confused:

Kidhuman
11-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Went up 2 bucks? What store did you buy them in?

TheDarthVader
11-22-2004, 09:55 PM
This is absurd unless each and every figure is made to the quality of the VOTC figures. I would gladly pay $5.88 for a well made figure. If these figures are just par, I will pass and wait until the price goes down.

B.
TDV

plasticfetish
11-22-2004, 09:56 PM
It's gotta be KB or K-Mart, their prices are always higher.

Kidhuman
11-22-2004, 10:01 PM
It's gotta be KB or K-Mart, their prices are always higher.

Thats what I was thinking, or CVS or something

X13VADER
11-22-2004, 10:20 PM
i bought the one figure from meijers in michigan ( its a big chain here in michigan) :mad: i would be happy if they were 5.88 after paying 7.41 for one. they are usally 4.99 at meijers at least for the several years

Kidhuman
11-22-2004, 10:22 PM
Gotta hit Wally World

Slicker
11-22-2004, 10:22 PM
I always thought Meijers was cheaper than most stores by a couple of cents, at least in my experience, but that's ridiculous. Maybe they're getting revved up for the holidays.

X13VADER
11-22-2004, 10:26 PM
not sure about youre wally world but mine still has nothing. :mad:

Kidhuman
11-22-2004, 10:37 PM
My Wally WOrld has been a treasure trove as of late. Found 11 VOTC, most OTC and POTC there. I didnt buy all the OTC but have seen 36 of 38 there. The last 2 Vaders are the ones i havent seen there.

plasticfetish
11-23-2004, 01:50 AM
Yeah... Wal*Mart's been really good to me lately, as much as I hate to admit it. :ermm: I've found everything but the Imperial Trooper figure, and the new (post)OTC figures there.

$7.41 is kind of a crazy price I suppose, after paying $5 for so long now. I kind of wonder if it just might be wise to wait and see if prices get a little more competitive all around.

bobafrett
11-23-2004, 08:52 PM
I have been working for Wal-Mart, but now they have me assembling bikes at an outside warehouse. I thought this would make me miss out on the new items, but management wants me to punch in and out at the store, then head to the warehouse. This gives me the chance to see what new figures have been stocked, as well as in the afternoon when I come back, the chance to see if any cases have come in on the trucks.

I'm not surprised to hear that Meiijer is charging more for the newer figures. Dirty shame, at least I don't live close enough to one, to include it in my daily stops.

JediTricks
11-25-2004, 02:01 AM
I saw a POTC Queen Amidala w/ Peace Ball at TRU for $5.99, that thing is SO not worth it... the guy who snatched it up right in front of me must have thought it was though. ;)

Slicker
11-25-2004, 08:32 AM
I would've tripped, then pushed him and hoped for a spikey pit to be in the path of his fall then we'll see how worth it it would've been.;)

Kidhuman
11-25-2004, 08:36 AM
Well according to this, ROTS will be 4.99, found it at GH

DARTH VADER- Lightsaber Attack!
Collection 1
Sequence: 11
Includes: Lightsaber, Soft goods cloak and skirt
Action Feature: Lightsaber attack by squeezing legs
Retail: $4.99
Availability: April 2005

JediTricks
11-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Isn't that just something GH threw together rather than official data? Jaff who works at WM as a toy department manager confirmed the Hasbro price increase on POTC will be on ROTS as well, and POTC at TRU are also $5.99 already.

Kidhuman
11-25-2004, 06:23 PM
I dunno, just posting what I saw. Maybe Hasbroken saw too many comlpaints and they decided not to raise the price.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I kill me :beard:

Ji'dai
11-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Maybe Wal-Mart will come through for us consumers when the ROTS figures are released and go back to the $4.77-$5.00 price range. I think the packaging will appeal (fool) parents & kids into thinking the toys are a $6 or $7 value, but I can't see Wal-Mart willing to risk being stuck with a bunch of overpriced product.

Veers
11-27-2004, 08:35 PM
I will still pick the new figs up. I found out last night the prices went up. I found the Amidala Celebration Wave and they were ringing up at $5.88 at Wallys. I had them adjust the price since they were hanging on the pegs listed as $4.77. I first thought it was a mistake, but I guess not.

Hellboy
12-04-2004, 02:40 PM
Well after visiting TRU today and seeing how they've now jacked up the price to $6.99 a figure I'm planning on being a bit more picky in my purchases. If this is the price point they're going to stay with I won't be buying anything more than openers from the new EPIII line. The silly card design and price increase are really pushing me over the edge. I might reconsider if the price point drops or if I can find the figures at a reduced price like we did with the Saga assortment but for now I'm sticking with openers and dropping my carded collecting for the immediate future. :cry: Good move Hasbro. :rolleyes:

OC47150
12-07-2004, 08:04 AM
I will say this: One of the fellow collectors I run around with sent an email saying one of our TRUs had the Pablo Jill wave on Thursday night. I didn't have time to stop by then, but did Friday night, and some of the figures were still hanging on the pegs.

mm74md
12-07-2004, 10:59 AM
I vaguely recall that when the Saga figures first came out, they were $5.99 then Wal Mart lowered them & forced all the other stores to follow suit. I'm hoping for the same thing with ROTS. I can see that they may be priced higher as the clock ticks closer to 5/19/05 and everyone is really juiced for the products (ie - kids). Then once June hits they could go down again to move the stuff out.

Here's hoping!

AmanaMatt
12-08-2004, 07:01 PM
Since this is not the first time the prices have been $6.99 or so, this should come as a shock to only new collectors. They should have raised the price for the EP III figs only, that way, some would not have been affected. Considering I am now only a Original Trilogy completist, this will have little bearing on me.....so far, most of the EP III figs coming out do not seem worthy of the increase, so Hasbro is just making my decision easier.

Old Fossil
12-09-2004, 02:02 PM
Won't affect my SW buying habits. I've been winding down my collection over the last few months, anyway. I loathe the ROTS packaging design, and so won't be buying any to keep on the card. I will probably stick to a few core characters, whatever protocol and astromech droids make it into the line; and any Wookie figures I find on the pegs shall be FAIR GAME!!! :D

Kidhuman
12-09-2004, 05:52 PM
The basic 1 dollar price is not going to affect me. Wal-Mart having them for 5.88 is good. If they were 6.99 at all stores, I would most likely cut down.

Banthaholic
12-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Another price increase in. Just back from TRU, and galactic buddies have rised a $1 from $4.99 up to $5.99, and to answer the question yes it will affect my spending. These were bought for me by my fiance and they will all be getting returned tomorrow. TRU has been officially cancelled off of my SW runs.