PDA

View Full Version : The official Live appreciation thread

El Chuxter
11-18-2004, 01:13 PM
I could've put this in a PM to kidhuman, but perhaps my posting it as a thread will convince mabudon to check out some Live music. :)

My copy of Awake: The Best of Live came in the mail yesterday. This may be the best GH album ever. Not necessarily in the quality of the music, but in the completeness and value. No hit is missing, and two rarities (including their awesome cover of Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line") and an unreleased track from the Throwing Copper sessions are thrown on to fill the CD to capacity.

And the DVD that's included includes every video I'm aware of and several I wasn't.

I've been pondering making a Live mix CD for a while but never did so. I couldn't have made a better one myself. I highly recommend this to everyone.

Entertainment Weekly said about this compilation that the songs were even more unlistenable than when they first came out. This is further proof that the staff of EW are morons who have no taste and love jumping on bandwagons, and humanity would be better off if they were drug out into the street and administered severe public beatings. lol

Kidhuman
11-18-2004, 06:44 PM
I fel you can not contain Lives greatest hits to one CD. Every damn album has been worthy of a greatest hits. I think all in all, there is one song off of their albums I dislike. (Stage, for all those that care)

I need to go out and get this CD. And if you dont appreciate Live right now, listen to a few albums, but make sure you start at the beginning....

Mental Jewelry
Four SOngs( just 4 songs on this one, 2 from Mentla Jewelry and two new ones)
Throwing Copper
Secret Samadhi
The Distance to Here
V
Birds of Prey

and of course their greatest hits now.

Run out buy this and listen with your mouth agape at how wonderful they are.

(This message was not endorsed nor approved by Ed K., but if he read it, I would have free tickets to any concert I chose. )

:beard:

El Chuxter
11-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Actually, I'm 99.99% sure Four Songs preceded Mental Jewelry by a year or two. :D

I'd also say everyone should get "Good Rockin Tonight: The Legacy of Sun Records" for an indispensible Live track ("I Walk the Line"), but they were kind enough to put it on the GH album. Of course, it also has Tom Petty, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Sheryl Crow, Elton John, Paul McCartney, Carl Perkins, Chris Isaak, and more on one disc, so it's worth having anyway.

You hear that, Carl? :p

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-18-2004, 07:48 PM
Weird that you make a Live appreciation thread as today when i got home, i had a hankerin' to here some "Secret Samahdi" and i blared it for a good hour or so. In my opinion, that is their most underrated album, ever. I loved all the different directions it seemed to go musically and lyrically. I must admit though: i haven't kept up with their releases since SS as I just lost touch and went into a lot of different areas with my music. Maybe over X-mas, i'll downlo- i mean, BUY the rest of their discs.

I was also lucky enough to see them back in 2000 with the Counting Crows and it was an excellent show by both bands. Adam Duritz came out and sang some of "Dolphins Cry" with the band and Ed came out and sang "Hangin' Around" with the rest of Live, Counting Crows and the other opening act whose name eludes me. He can get the ladies goin' crazy with his wacky dance moves. I think he said he attributed his wacky dancing skills to be born in PA.
cheers! :D

P.S.- I love how we got all the "Members" of U2 posted in this thread. If only we can get somebody to get a Larry avatar! lol :crazed:

arctangent
11-25-2004, 10:06 AM
i have to say live are one of my favourite bands and very underated - never made a bad album. in fact never written a duff song. i was lucky enough to see them when they toured both throwing copper and secret samahdi and they are a great live band too. unfortunately i missed them touring the distance to here and i don't think they haven't been to england since (apart from supporting bon jovi at some huge outdoor gigs, which are not my thing).

stillakid
11-25-2004, 10:19 AM
I thought this was a thread to appreciate live music from everyone. Oh well. :)

I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing the DVD from Clapton's concert this summer. Wish I coulda been there...

arctangent
11-26-2004, 05:14 AM
I thought this was a thread to appreciate live music from everyone. Oh well. :)

ah, yes. back in the mists of time, when i actually used to go into record shops to buy music that always caused no end of confusion with the dimwitted record store workers. I actually remember finding throwing copper in the 'T' section and the staff thought it was a live album by a band called throwing copper. still i shouldn't complain because i did get it cheap because they had never heard of it :) !

Kidhuman
02-04-2005, 07:24 PM
And the DVD that's included includes every video I'm aware of and several I wasn't.

You got that right. I had no idea some of these videos existed. I am sure they might be some more out there as well.

I finally got this CD/DVD off of lay-a-way yesterday. This is the resaon I started the damn remote lost thread. Sweetrain or myself could not view the intrerview wiht Ed K., but now it is possible with the purchase of a Universal remote. The videos are amazing. I havent gotten around to listen to the CD yet, but will soon.

Ed K. is a bit out there and the interview helped explain alot of the songs/albums. I was right on a few of them , but off on a few others.

I would say my favorite video is Dolphins Cry. I love the part when he stomps and the floods come. Awesome Awesome. I am glad this CD/DVD has graced my collection.

TheDarthVader
02-13-2005, 11:36 PM
Live is a great band, and I just received this AWAKE cd in the mail. It is an awesome cd. Are all copies of Awake supposed to come with a DVD? The one I ordered from half.com did not come but with one disc. :confused:

B.
TDV

Kidhuman
02-14-2005, 07:01 AM
No, it was a special, they have both. Head to Wal-Mart or Target to get the DVD bonus one.

mabudonicus
02-15-2005, 10:12 AM
....perhaps my posting it as a thread will convince mabudon to check out some Live music...
Not yet, keep it up if ya like though, I'm awfully stubborn :beard:

JetsAndHeels
02-15-2005, 04:48 PM
I only have 2 Live albums, Throwing Copper and SS. I have heard good things about Awake, obviously from here and other sources...did anyone get the one called Birds of Prey? I only heard one single off of it and that was it. Not sure if it did well or was a flop.

El Chuxter
02-15-2005, 05:35 PM
I'm sure kidhuman will agree with me when I say Birds of Prey is one of their best. Unfortunately, like many other great bands, I don't think any of their albums are doing too well under the current "let's flood the market with the same Britney Spears crap" marketing strategy. :(

Kidhuman
02-15-2005, 08:37 PM
I actually havent listened to BOP much since I dont have a CD player in my car, but I like it alot. Would want to get more familiar with it. My fave is Secret Samadhi. Gotta love that album. ANd yes, since the market is flooded wiht the teeny bopper shhhhhhhhhhtuff, it doesnt get much air play or public announcements.

Kidhuman
03-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Me and Sweetrain are off tosee live on 4/30 in Baltimore. Cant wait to see em.

El Chuxter
03-17-2005, 01:06 PM
So you'll see Live live? ;)

Kidhuman
03-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Yeds and its about damned time

This is the fourth time Ihave had tickets for them. never seen them yet.

Kidhuman
03-21-2005, 12:36 PM
ANd it looks like Iwont be seeing them this time either. Ticketb**tard called and said it was canceled.

Kidhuman
06-01-2005, 01:12 AM
Woo-Hoo, got tickets to the Atalantic City Show on August 8th.

Kidhuman
08-09-2005, 12:11 PM
Saw them last night and damn this show rocked. IF you havent seen them Live yet, do so. They kicked arse last night.

Here is their setlist:

1. All Over You
2. Selling the Drama
3. Mystery (new song)
4. They Stood Up For Love
5. Run Away
6. Love Shines (new song)
7. Operation Spirit (changed lyrics)
8. Lightning Crashes
9. Sophia (new song)
10. The River (new song, new single)
11. Lakini's Juice
12. The Dolphin's Cry
13. I Alone
14. Show A Little Love (new song, previously unnamed 'love' song)

Encore:

15. Run to the Water
16. Heaven
17. **** Towne
18. Beauty of Grey
19. Turn My Head (Ed messes up the lyrics)
20. White, Discussion

Encore 2:

21. Dance With You

Ed sang the same verse twice in Turn my Head.

I wore a Vader mask the entire show. Got some strange looks from people, but I didnt care. It was all good.

AFter the show a friend hooked Sweetrain and myself up with backstage meet and greet passes. I had Chad Gracie(drummer) who is a big SW fan, sign the mask. He has a TIE Fighter engine for a ring tone. I will post the pics when I get them back.

I want to publicly thank Jimmy Lang(who is registered here as Lerxst) for the hook up with tickets and passes. You rock dude.

Go see this band if you havent, and if you never heard of them, go buy their CD's.

El Chuxter
08-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Judging from the number of new songs, I take it they have a new CD in the works? :)

Kidhuman
08-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Due out in November according to Ed at the concert. And all the new songs were that damn good. Sophia was my favorite out of them. Mystery was great as was The River. The one I didnt like too good was Love.

dr_evazan22
08-09-2005, 05:06 PM
There's a bar / club here in Wilm Called Kahunaville where they've played a number of times. I've missed them each time, learning about the show to late to change plans. I'll definitely go next time. I think my fav album, of theirs, is still Mental jewelry.

Kidhuman
08-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Ok, a few of us at the concert were wondering where a guy got a Kahunaville tour T-shirt from, so this clears it up for me.

JetsAndHeels
08-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Glad you had a great time KH. Sounds like alot of fun.

arctangent
08-12-2005, 06:23 AM
ooh, they played turn my head and dance with you! both those songs have such a deep, emotional meaning to me that's a very good set list. i wish live would tour the uk again. they have not been here for quite some time.

didn't know they have a new album coming. can't wait.

Kidhuman
08-12-2005, 08:58 AM
Yeah Dance with you is a great song. I actually used it for Sweetrains and my Wedding Song.

arctangent
08-12-2005, 09:04 AM
that is really nice kidhuman. a beautiful song to choose.

live are actually one of the few band i would like to release a live album who haven't done. they are just so good on stage. i would rather have seen that than a greatest hits package.

Kidhuman
08-16-2005, 09:06 AM
Here is a link to their upcoming sing The River. It is only a sample:

http://jb.promosquad.com/cgi-bin/swift-mp3.cgi?mp3=../audio/high/Live_TheRiver_hifi&spectrum=1&stop=2

Kidhuman
08-20-2005, 01:40 AM
Here is a link to a pic of Chad Gracie and Myself.

http://www.hannie.org/kh.jpg

Slicker
08-20-2005, 02:53 AM
Sweet pic KH. I love how I can see a little bit of the :beard: peeking out from under the mask.

Kidhuman
02-02-2006, 07:16 PM
The River, LIVES new single was released a couiple of days ago. If you go to www.friendsoflive and click enter website, the link to DL the song is below the pictures, just scroll down. Their new album is due out on April 11th. The album is called Songs From Black Mountain. Here is the Album Cover.

El Chuxter
06-11-2006, 02:45 PM
For some reason, no one put the new album on sale last week when it was released, so I ordered it from amazon.com. Thankfully, I added a book that wasn't going to be released for a few weeks to qualify for free shipping, because Circuit City advertised it in this week's circular for $8.99.

Needless to say, the previous order was cancelled. I expect to have Songs From Black Mountain in hand later today.

Kidhuman
06-11-2006, 07:08 PM
It is a pretty good album. I have had it for over two months already. Some of my faves are The River, Mystery, Wings and Sofia.

JetsAndHeels
06-11-2006, 10:22 PM
When Live goes on tour and does their concerts, do they call it "Live Live"?
Just curious.

Kidhuman
06-11-2006, 11:43 PM
No, LIVE at the (________)

Kidhuman
10-28-2007, 11:11 PM
LIVE has released a new album called Radiant Sea. It is compiled of Bootlegs of varoius songs with 2 new songs. You can hear one of the new songs, called Radiant Sea on their myspace page. The other one, Beautiful Invisible, I havent heard the whole thing of, just a clip. It doesnt sound that great but Radiant Sea is pretty good.