PDA

View Full Version : The new action features... (SPOILERS)

JEDIpartner
11-19-2004, 08:08 AM
As I had previously stated, the action features don't seem to be impeding on the sculpts, which is a good thing. The AOTC/SAGA figures with action features were riddled with bad sculpts, single pose-blunders and a whole host of "lack of diverse play" issues.

Having a look at the cardbacks this morning, it's nice to see that we don't have anymore buttons.

Obi-Wan Kenobi has a: "Squeeze legs together for slashing attack!" blurb. (similar to the one SAGA Count Dooku)

Mace Windu has a: "Place lightning on shoulder. Squeeze legs together to throw lightning off!" blurb.

Chewbacca has a: "Squeeze legs together - Chewbacca's head and arms move." blurb.

Emperor Palpatine has a: "Pull back lightning and launch! Insert lightning and spin!" blurb. (similar to SAGA deluxe Mace Windu)

and finally...

Artoo-Detoo has a: "Attach arm and press droid down to make arm move" blurb. The arm attaches to Artoo's dome. It doesn't look like the rockets or middle leg are retractable, but at least the rockets aren't as stupid looking as the "flying Artoo" rockets. I'm not exactly sure WHERE Artoo is supposed to store that "attack arm" but either Hasblah or Uncle George took some serious liberties with that one.

aceguide
11-19-2004, 08:20 AM
As a collector I am pleased that the action features are a little less prominent. They certainly seem to have evolved, and while I might have accidentally sniffed some glue this monring, it would appear that Hasbro listened to some of the complaints from the EPII line...

As a parent I will tell you that at 8 years old the action features are a huge part of which figure makes the cut to the battle. I am continueally amazed at how the Jedi with the ability to slash are consistently on the "front lines" of the playroom floor. Just food for thought.

JEDIpartner
11-19-2004, 10:42 AM
I'm hearing you. I haven't an issue with e action features as long as they are relevant and done without aesthetically destroying the figure. I think they did a good job with this initial batch of figures.

Kidhuman
11-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Hopefully they stay like this. I dont want to see anymore Lolli-pop Mace.

jad
11-19-2004, 04:09 PM
Like most of us here, I would prefer no action features at all. But these figures look light years ahead of the crappy episode II figures. It actually looks like the sculpting is quite well done, and the paint job seems good enough. Plus they look like they actually have some pretty good articulation that won't be hindered by the action feature. And as long as the legs can still move along with being squeezed together, then thats fine by me. Atleast they won't have huge buttons on their backs :P

All and all I think I'll be quite satisfied with my purchases come midnight madness.

plasticfetish
11-19-2004, 04:40 PM
As I had previously stated, the action features don't seem to be impeding on the sculpts, which is a good thing. The AOTC/SAGA figures with action features were riddled with bad sculpts, single pose-blunders and a whole host of "lack of diverse play" issues.Amen... and yes, I'm happy that what we've got coming looks to be the best possible way of doing these "action features." Hasbro had said at Comic-con that we'd see them return to this line, so I'm not shocked or anything -- maybe I'm a little surprised that every figure has some sort of gimmick, but at this point I'm open to the whole idea. It all depends on how they effect the quality of the toy. If the gimmick makes the joints all loose and wobbly, then I'll be a bit miffed.

Some of the features even look fun :sur: the whole "squeeze legs together" idea always makes me laugh though.

As a parent I will tell you that at 8 years old the action features are a huge part of which figure makes the cut to the battle. I am continueally amazed at how the Jedi with the ability to slash are consistently on the "front lines" of the playroom floor. Just food for thought.Well, it all depends on the quality of the figure and how well the "action feature" works, but my 7 year old tends to leave those ones in the tote when he goes to play. Right now he's sitting on the floor here in my studio playing with -- SA Clone, (newer) pilot Luke, OTC (bendy knees are nice) Greedo, an old Snowtrooper, VOTC Stormtrooper, Imp. Officer, Jango (my head comes off) Fett, Throne Room Vader (that I hate, but he likes it 'cause the helmet comes off) and that other Vader with the soft goods and the interrogation droid.

The button-handicapped figures, unless they're really special to him like Vader (he's never met a Vader that he doesn't like) just never do what they're supposed to do -- and they don't stand up well.

-----

At any rate, it'll be fun keeping writing about the new features here when those figures start showing up.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-19-2004, 05:54 PM
While I don't like action features, the leg-squeezing variety are much better than the buttons. I doubt all of them will have a feature, I doubt some of the secondary characters would have them (I think Hasbro confirmed that). Here's some other kinds of features I'd like to see:
*Voices/sounds: Now how cool would a breathing Vader figure be?
*Light-up: C-3PO's eyes, they've already done R2 three times and the only 3PO with lights is the one with Saga Chewie.
*Firing missiles: Like the 2002 Clone Trooper. I think the best way to have features is to not have them at all.

Another downside to the figures of 2002 was the sabers. On Bespin Duel Vader, after whacking that pole thing with the flimsy little saber so many times the peg's gone lopsided. A lot of my sabers broke, not all due to features, but Screamin' Saber Throwin' Mace's accessory hasn't stood up so well.

JEDIpartner
11-22-2004, 03:51 PM
Apparently the Vader (who is decked out with loads of silver paint on his chest and shoulders) also has the "squeeze m'legs" feature as well.

It appears that "leg squeezing" is the preferred method of delivering the action this time around. Oy!

plasticfetish
11-22-2004, 09:08 PM
See, doesn't squeezing Vader's legs just sound... wrong?

JEDIpartner
11-24-2004, 09:00 AM
Yeah... heh heh...

Well... the good news is that even though this is in Collection 1 (the gimmick line), Vader has a bent right slashing arm and a ball-jointed left arm, soft goods inner and outer cloak (resembling the VOTC Vader) as well as a ball-jointed head!!!!

The pics are up at GH...

Here's ONE- hoping they won't be too upset that I "stole" it... go there for the rest!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-24-2004, 10:31 AM
Wow, that looks great! And they got his ROTS panels correct. I can't wait till April!!!

JEDIpartner
11-24-2004, 10:34 AM
They also got the helmet right as it does SOMEHOW look different in comparison to the OT version.

Kidhuman
11-24-2004, 09:19 PM
That is one sweet looking pic. He looks great.

JEDIpartner
11-24-2004, 09:55 PM
I'm stoked... :) I keep revisiting the pics. I love them!!!

Kidhuman
11-24-2004, 10:29 PM
Went over and looked at the Vader pic and saw this on the side of it

Collection 1
Sequence: 11
Includes: Lightsaber, Soft goods cloak and skirt
Action Feature: Lightsaber attack by squeezing legs
Retail: $4.99
Availability: April 2005

I guess the price raise isnt going to be on the E3 figures. Says 5 bucks.

BTW JP, was there more besides the Vader and if so, PM me a link please.

plasticfetish
11-25-2004, 01:43 AM
Not bad at all.

His skirt thing looks weird in that shot, but the cape looks to be handled better than the VOTC version I'd say. Are his legs kind of short? (Maybe it's just that photo.)

Hmmm. Looks like I'll need to make room for yet another Vader figure.

Kidhuman
11-25-2004, 07:39 AM
SWeet........the old darl lord has been picturized. Dooku.........

:beard: (http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=3659&zoneid=2)

^
|
|
|
click it

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-25-2004, 10:44 AM
Dooku looks awesome! Hopefully the cape will be the right color when he is actually released.

Maybe he's in Collection 2 because they've already given us enough leg-squeezing Dookus. :D Hopefully we'll get some more SA figures in Collection 2, like Padmé and some Jedi.

plasticfetish
11-26-2004, 04:33 AM
That Dooku's great! So much for them doing VOTC type figures for the prequels -- obviously we'll be getting that style and quality of figure from the regular lines now.

JEDIpartner
11-26-2004, 07:38 PM
The New Obi-Wan is up on GH. Here's a shot. Check out the head sculpt here (http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery.asp?action=viewimage&categoryid=3478&text=&imageid=12779&box=&shownew=).

Hasbro did us a huge favour of giving us an entire hand sculpted to his lightsaber along with an open hand you can swap out when he is not dueling! There won't be any lightsaber throwing this time around, kiddies!!!

Slicker
11-26-2004, 09:29 PM
That's quite a good likeness of Ewan they captured in that figure.

That Vader looks funny. In the pose they have him in it looks like he's doing opera or something. The figure looks great just a silly pose. Tee Hee!!!

Kidhuman
11-26-2004, 09:44 PM
These figures are looking pretty good. Gonna be a good line of figures it seems.

plasticfetish
11-27-2004, 01:19 AM
The New Obi-Wan is up on GH. Here's a shot. Check out the head sculpt here (http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery.asp?action=viewimage&categoryid=3478&text=&imageid=12779&box=&shownew=).Hmm, looks like he's been eating frosting.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Wow, that figure is much better than the carded pics implied.It actually looks like Ewan for once! I love the idea of interchangeable hands. I wonder why he has his TPM/AOTC-style saber as well as his ANH one? Maybe he uses both of them? In the insert pic he has the ANH one. Oh well, we've been given versions of both so it's not like we can't put it in his regular hand.

jad
11-28-2004, 04:18 PM
Man, I really hope the clone trooper doesn't have an action feature. But unfortunately if it's in collection 1 it probably will :( Most likely something like quick draw :rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
11-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Well... from the looks of it, it has a great pose, so it can't be all that bad!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-30-2004, 05:09 PM
GH has pics of the new Mace. Yeesh, what the hell happened? His shoulders have giant gaping spaces between his torso and arms. It looks good other than that, but it kind of brings it down.

Kidhuman
11-30-2004, 09:05 PM
GH has pics of the new Mace. Yeesh, what the hell happened? His shoulders have giant gaping spaces between his torso and arms. It looks good other than that, but it kind of brings it down.

I wanna know whats up with the force lightning shawl. That looks goofy. Anyway, looks pretty decent Except for what ya mentioned. Linnk is hidden to him. All the regualrs know where to click for it.

:beard: (http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=3675&zoneid=2)

Rocketboy
11-30-2004, 09:38 PM
I don't think he's that bad.
He tons better than the "Burping Contest" Mace Windu from AOTC.

Slicker
11-30-2004, 09:39 PM
Not too bad. I'm sure the joint thing can be attributed to it being a proto and just being thrown together for the pics.

plasticfetish
12-01-2004, 12:31 AM
Yeah, I think it may just be because it's a prototype also -- well, I hope it's because it's a prototype. I'll buy it simply because his mouth is shut. If the final product is assembled as poorly as that one, then I'll no doubt be pretty unhappy.

It looks good other than that, but it kind of brings it down.Yeah, it really does, but let's cross our fingers.

JEDIpartner
12-01-2004, 07:59 AM
Those are production units, not prototypes. I think some of the gaps are due to the action feature so he can "throw off" the Force lightning. For me, I really don't care since I'm not a Sam Jackson fan... *shrug*

Darth Alex
12-13-2004, 03:42 PM
GH has the Ep3 Clone listed with the squeeze legs, arm raises to fire gimmick.
WHY WHY WHY Hasbro? We don't need this....$6.99 for a SA Clone Ep3 Trooper with 2 blaster is enough.....if the action feature stinks, then you have a great looking albeit lousy army builder.
Enough with the hidden action features, please, GOD, make them stop....

Darth Alex
12-13-2004, 03:43 PM
Man, I really hope the clone trooper doesn't have an action feature. But unfortunately if it's in collection 1 it probably will :( Most likely something like quick draw :rolleyes:
Go over to GH.
The trooper does quick draw...:stupid:

StarmanSkywalker
12-13-2004, 04:24 PM
Actually I think the action features are great as they don't seem to limit the articulation or destroy sculpt. What I'd be against would be floppy limbs (like on the Saga Pilot Jango and the POC Boba).
Kids love these features. Good to hear that the leg squeezing action still allows to sit figures down.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-13-2004, 05:11 PM
If they have to do action features, this is definitely the way to go. From looking at them, you wouldn't know they had them anyway. I mean both the Saga Dooku figures are great and they have leg-squeezing tricks. Really, look at the Hangar Duel Anakin with his giant wheel coming out of his back with the new ROTS one. Which one is better? The new one, by far.

Unfortunately, the clone looks like crap with those enormous shoulders. Maybe it won't be so bad in reality?

Slicker
12-13-2004, 10:26 PM
At least they're showing some justification for the price hike. The POTC figures are the same type of figures they're always released and thus don't deserve the hike. Give them something extra, albeit action features, and it's justified.

Kidhuman
12-14-2004, 06:05 AM
The Saga Line has action features and they were cheaper

JEDIpartner
12-15-2004, 09:10 AM
...and looked it.

OC47150
12-16-2004, 11:13 AM
I will give the action features a chance. But I also hope Hasbro reverts back to basic figures.