PDA

View Full Version : Passing on VOTC droids

JON9000
11-21-2004, 03:05 PM
I just cannot bring myself to spend 10 bucks on figures do not have the added articulation as a selling point. The cards are nice, but I have been busting my figures out b/c they are just so darn cool.

I might have gone in for an R2 had he been packed with every accessory that he has already been released with and a removable serving tray. For $10 he should also have machine finished dome piece.

I do not know if I would ever plunk down $10 for a threepio. I cannot see it possibly being worth it. (interestingly, this the only VOTC figure I have yet to see on the rack).

JediTricks
11-21-2004, 06:02 PM
Totally understandable. I'm a sucker for R2, but that's the ONLY reason I went in for this figure - it's good, but it's not a $10 figure on its own merits, it's just a decent basic $5 figure. He's not without issues either though, the dome has a few smaller sculpt issues, the paint has some issues (like the white parts not matching up with other white parts, that one is a real killer), and the sensorscope is too short.

3PO doesn't even look like a decent $5 figure though, his sculpt and paint situations seem really hit-or-miss, and then he's got only 5 points of articulation, sub-standard to most other 3POs. Right now, I'm on the fence, I have all 11 other VOTC now but I'm still not sure what will happen if I see VOTC 3PO on shelves, I may end up passing on him. Then again, I plunked down ten bucks for VOTC Yoda as soon as I saw it even though that thing is not worth the money, but I didn't have as much negative opinion on him as I do for this 3PO figure.

Slicker
11-21-2004, 09:17 PM
To be completely honest none of these 12 figures are worth the $10 price tag but I still bought them all a) because I a pathetic completist and b) the pictures on these cards are great and totally make up for the price, IMO.

I've got the 3PO and I'm not too very impressed with it. His head seems a little small and his face is squished together making his mouth look weird. The R2 has the fault (if you want to call it that) of having the chrome dome and not putting much action in action figure.

Bacta Beast
11-21-2004, 10:39 PM
I just want to ad that i also think the C-3PO is a collossal failure on Hasbro part. They offer an apology to the fans, and make a new one NOW! When this line was announced we all thought they would be the ultimate, definative versions of these characters. Now, having seen most of them, it's a big let down! I don't mind paying the $10 if I get what I want. I don't think that stands are to much to ask for at that price, and they can't say they didn't think most people would open them, or why would they have wasted time and money on they articulation that they did provide! The Obi-Wan, and the 3PO are the worst in my opinion! And i'm sick of that stupid "bicep" cut they put on Vader! C'mon Hasbro! Would it kill you to give us one decent sculpt, clean, articulated, "award ceremony" C-3PO?!!! And quick putting shiny, chrome domes on R2!

To be fair, I think that Luke, Han, Boba, and the Trooper are great, I just wish they came with stands, and deeper peg holes!

Kidhuman
11-22-2004, 09:48 PM
I have 11 of 12 of these figures. To me, I only bought them because it was a limited run. I really didnt want to get the droids, but decided to just for the complete set. The only double I have is of the Stormtrooper. I am going to open one of those. I still need ot find Fett, I want 2, but will settle for one. I might pick them up if they ever go on clearance and open a set if possible.

Slicker
11-22-2004, 10:01 PM
KH I've seen and arse load of Fett's along with Stormies in VA Beach if you want to make the trip.

bobafrett
11-23-2004, 08:59 PM
I wonder if the "star case" they put around the figures, adds to the price? I mean, if they made the figures without the extra plastic case around it, would they be able to charge less at retail? I have paid around $5 for 1 or 2 star cases to protect certain figures I own. I did find Yoda, 3PO, R2 and Han to be dissapointing, so I only bought 1 of each. however, the Stormtroopers are so awesome, I bought 5 and opened 4 of them so far.

sumdumchum
11-23-2004, 10:41 PM
I have to say that these figures are absolutely not worth the price. Yes, the star cases do bring up the price and while it looks nice I think they're unnecessary. Plus they help scalpers and other people buy the figures open the case and return it with an old figure in the case. I can't begin to tell you how many old Vaders, 3P0s and R2 figures I've seen hanging on the pegs. Are the people taking the returns blind or just plain stupid? I was at walmart the other day and I showed my girlfriend (who knows nothing about star wars and the toy line. She has no interest and I don't bother to bore her with my sickness) one of the returned items hanging on the pegs and asked her "Do you see anything wrong with this?" and sure enough she said: "That figure doesn't belong in that case! It's old and used." Now, why can't a person who works in the store notice this? Ridiculous I tell you. I'll wait til these things are on sale if they ever go on sale.

JON9000
11-24-2004, 01:01 AM
The Stormie is worth it. But I think you will see these released more cheaply eventually- remember Fett 300?

Like I said, I could have dug R2 if he had come with everyaccessory imaginable- a sort of uber-R2, but no such luck.

And I just opened Vader. I thought his articulation would be like Stormie's. No such luck. Very disappointing, although he looks pretty good if you clip the cape back a little.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-24-2004, 11:58 AM
I have all of the VOTC figures, but haven't yet opened C-3PO, Chewie, Boba, or the Stormtrooper. Here's what I think of the rest:

*Luke - though he is a little short, even compared to X-wing and Jedi Luke, I think he's really good. The face is great for ANH-era Mark Hamill, and the articulation is awesome. I love how he can hold the saber with both hands. The cloth shirt can sometimes look too big but if you tuck it into his belt the right way, it works. I give him a B.
*Han - I have no idea why this guy was such a pegwarmer for a long time, he's awesome! The articulation is awesome. I like how his holster/belt can move. This is really the perfect Han. A+
*Leia - this one has pros and cons. The articulation is wonderful, but the face is horrible. It doesn't look remotely like her! I like the cloth skirt, though. B-
*Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi - if you keep the cloak on, it's fine. If you take it off, something's horribly wrong. The arms are creepy, his head's tiny, and he doesn't have any freakin' knee articulation! He can't sit and watch Luke practice his saber techniques. Crap! C
*Darth Vader - a winner for me. The only thing that's wrong for me is that his cape is too huge, but it looks cool. A+
*Lando Calrissian - much better than the POTJ version. The articulation is very well done. A
*Yoda - the cloth cloak is a little bulky, and the belt should be able to go around it! Maybe that's why the cloak folds over where it should go? I dunno. The face, cane, and snake are cool though. B-
*R2-D2 - this is the best R2 ever made. Unfortunately, though, after looking at the films I noticed his accessories are all wrong - the 1998 buzzsaw was more correct, the extension arm is on the other side of his body, and the smaller door is open from the wrong side. Oh well, it's still very nice. A-

JON9000
11-24-2004, 03:18 PM
I have all of the VOTC figures, but haven't yet opened C-3PO, Chewie, Boba, or the Stormtrooper.

Chewie Fett and Stormie are as articulated as Han and do not have obnoxious looking soft goods.

Once you dig into those three, you may feel a little more underwhelmed about R2...

bobafrett
12-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Of the 12, Chewie, Boba, and the Stormtrooper have the most articulation. 3PO could be sold for a dollar, and I am so upset that I wasted an extra $10 to but the rigid piece of garbage.

TheDarthVader
12-01-2004, 05:42 PM
I will eventually get all 12. Unfortunately, I like to get all of the figures. It is both good and bad. C3PO is by far the crappiest VOTC figure, as many have stated. Darth Vader, however, is my favorite and could be one of the best Vaders made. I really like this figure! I have not yet seen Chewie, Lando, Stormy, Boba, or R2 at retail. :( Maybe someday they will find their way to East Texas. I am hoping!

B.
TDV

Devo
12-01-2004, 08:46 PM
VOTC figures I'm considering to buy and why.....

Chewbacca - he looks very chewie-like, and some of my displays are lacking the appropriately tall chewies - in some I'm still using the muscly '95 Chewie and the small Boushh bounty Chewie - I'd like to replace all my short Chewbaccas, I want a Chewie that can kneel on top of or underneath the Falcon with a welder - I hope this one can.

Lando - I'm hoping he's taller than Lobot for once - can anyone confirm that? Also, although I love the POTJ one its only suitable for action scenes (during which he had discarded his cape), this one looks like he could have relaxed poses.

Vader - though I hate the soft goods I'd like a Vader who can kneel.

Boba Fett - I want a non-action pose Fett though I have a suspicion that this ones head is too small - the 300th fig Fett is fantastic for the scene in Empire where he fires on Luke but looks awkward in that pose in the bounty hunter line-up - the Carkoon Fett has a useless action feature and a very scene-specific gun firing position and is also not good for standing at rest as the feet are widely spaced with knees bent and he leans to one side.

Han Solo - Similar reasons to Chewbacca

Stormtrooper - I ordered 4 of them last week , still no word on when I'll get them or even if I'm getting them at all

I believe I will ignore the rest of the VOTC line on the grounds of complaints people have had and my own vehement hatred of soft-goods. Yes I want a shorter Tatooine Luke but not one with a bulky unrealistic cloth top.

JON9000
12-01-2004, 11:07 PM
Darth Vader, however, is my favorite and could be one of the best Vaders made.
My only beef with Vader is that they could have made him with the articulation of Stormie, Chewie, or Fett, and they decided not to. For $10, we deserve it.

Bacta Beast
12-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Of the 12, Chewie, Boba, and the Stormtrooper have the most articulation. 3PO could be sold for a dollar, and I am so upset that I wasted an extra $10 to but the rigid piece of garbage.

Just wanted to point out that Luke, Han should be included in that list, with Luke & Chewie leading. Luke has a torso joint and hip joints (allowing him to do splits) that the others don't have. In addition to having as much as the others. So as far as articulation Luke & Chewie have a least 15 points, while Han, Boba, and the trooper have 14 points each.
But you're right about the 3PO, I can't believe that Hasbro couldn't see how bad it sucked before they commited to it! Here it's supposed to be part of this "unltimate" line with "more articulation than you can imagine" and they gives us a piece of crap that's worse than the one they gave us back in '95,charge us more for it, and don't even give us any stands to wash it down with!

Bacta Beast
12-02-2004, 06:30 PM
My only beef with Vader is that they could have made him with the articulation of Stormie, Chewie, or Fett, and they decided not to. For $10, we deserve it.

I agree, even if it was just going with the ball joint elbows instead of that stupid triangle cut!

JediTricks
12-02-2004, 06:50 PM
VOTC Lando... I'm hoping he's taller than Lobot for once - can anyone confirm that?I can confirm that he's NOT, he's quite a bit shorter, heck, he's slightly shorter than POTJ Lando even.

Luke has a torso joint and hip joints (allowing him to do splits)Yeah, but the Hasbro designers made the hip joint squared off so minor spread poses can't be done, it's a really stupid mistake on their part IMO.

Kidhuman
12-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Well, I got all 12 now and an extra Stormie. Think I might start putting doubles on Lay-a-way now of some of these. 3PO is not one nor is R2.

plasticfetish
12-03-2004, 05:05 AM
I decided to "take one for the team." I picked up a VOTC C-3PO to open and photograph for the Database. This makes two of them (I did want one to keep carded) that I've bought, and now I feel twice as unhappy. I'm gonna need to looks at this one for a while in order to focus on just how bad I think it is. :ermm:

The photo below, including a new favorite figure, says it all for me.

Devo
12-03-2004, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE=JediTricks]I can confirm that he's NOT, he's quite a bit shorter, heck, he's slightly shorter than POTJ Lando even.[QUOTE]

I don't believe this. Shorter than POTJ Lando? That figure was tiny. VOTC Lando must be the size of a Leia figure then. Why can't they get it right? Lobot is tiny, Lando is taller than Lobot, its not hard to see.That must mean that Lando skiff and Lando General tower over the VOTC Lando. I just don't understand.

JediTricks
12-03-2004, 10:52 PM
I put them next to each other, I have my extra, de-caped POTJ Lando right here next to my keyboard and VOTC Lando on the floor, VOTC is a hair shorter than POTJ and that's not taking POTJ's bent legs into account. OTC Lobot over on my Ultarama display towered over VOTC Lando, like half a head taller at least.

Luke and Leia VOTC were also too short for their scale, it's only a few millimeters but in scale it makes a big difference. VOTC to me has been a massive rip-off, lots of issues - both big and small - on something with such a high pricetag and few (if any) accessories. Shrimpiness is a big issue to me.

Devo
12-04-2004, 11:27 AM
I put them next to each other, I have my extra, de-caped POTJ Lando right here next to my keyboard and VOTC Lando on the floor, VOTC is a hair shorter than POTJ and that's not taking POTJ's bent legs into account. OTC Lobot over on my Ultarama display towered over VOTC Lando, like half a head taller at least.

Luke and Leia VOTC were also too short for their scale, it's only a few millimeters but in scale it makes a big difference. VOTC to me has been a massive rip-off, lots of issues - both big and small - on something with such a high pricetag and few (if any) accessories. Shrimpiness is a big issue to me.

Right then. Thats another figure I don't have to buy, making my only must-have in VOTC the stormtrooper, which I ordered from forbiddenplanet international on 26th November and still haven't received. Prices were in british pounds so I assume I'm dealing with a UK based warehouse, just across the water from me so I was expecting to have my 4 stormies by now. Curious. Of the remaining VOTC I'll consider Chewie, Han, Fett, and Vader. The rest it seems have all gotten negative comments from too many people.

JEDIpartner
12-04-2004, 11:36 AM
I just cannot bring myself to spend 10 bucks on figures do not have the added articulation as a selling point.
Well... I totally have to disagree with you on the Artoo issue. It is THE finest Artoo figure made to date. I picked up two to open because they are just that good.

I'll probably ditch quite a few of the other Artoo figures and just keep the various accessories that went with them. This one is the perfect scale and the mechanics make the most sense (removable leg rather than a retractable one that doesn't retract all the way).

JediTricks
12-14-2004, 09:37 PM
I really wish they had at least put dullcoat on VOTC R2's dome, it looks so nice on Ep 1 R2.

Anyway, I got talked into buying the last VOTC 3PO at my local TRU yesterday. This figure is WORSE than I had been expecting, which is quite a feat since I had been told over and over by many folks to expect something pretty bad. The only reason to buy this figure IMO is to have a complete VOTC collection, if this were a basic $5 figure I would strongly recommend against buying it at that price, much less twice that.

Kidhuman
12-14-2004, 09:47 PM
That about the only reason I bought it JT. Its a wonder this one is the chase figure.