PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek ornaments

matthewilw
11-22-2004, 01:26 AM
I realized recently that there are several start trek ornaments from past years that are roughly AF scale. I remember someone pointing the ornament from nemesis (I think it was the scorpion) but I have found two others that I think fit in even better (based off of pictures and sizes alone, seeing as I don't own either). First is the Delta Flyer ornament from 2002. I've always loved this ship, and wished they still made those star trek AF rip-offs just for this ship..plus any other shuttles would have been an adde bonus. Here is a link to an ebay auction for one : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41143&item=6131985207&rd=1

The second is the Rio Grande from Deep Space 9 that was released in 1999. I wasn't aware of how cool this piece was until I actually took the time to find some pictures of an out of box item. I personally do not think that the picture on the box does this item any justice. A link to an ebay auction for this is here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=37883&item=2287921546&rd=1

Keep in mind both have lights and sound, but draw their power from an outlet on a normal string of christmas lights. But I'm assuming the lights are just simple LEDs so it should be simple enough to cut off the wires and rig a small battery or two inside the item to operate the lights (I don't care for sound much). If anyone has either of these please post about how they fit in with other action fleet items. Also if anyone has either of these and would be willing to sell/trade let me know, thanks!

LTBasker
11-22-2004, 02:28 AM
Yeah the Delta Flyer wasn't bad, kind of small though. I don't have the Rio Grande so can't say much on that, but there was a TOS Shuttle released just after they started this. It's about the size of the Gian Speeder, and unfortunately the 'Flyer isn't much bigger.

If you want some ornaments that can really compete with AF pick up the diecast Slave 1 and NX-01 ornaments, they aren't very good for tree hanging but kick the pants off of what Hasbro released for Jango's Slave 1.

AndyW
11-22-2004, 02:52 AM
I so want that delta flyer one, looks really good.

AndyW
11-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Sorry for the above brief post, was on my way out to work.

These are almost impossible to buy in the uk other than online, I've never seen or heard of them anywhere (britcit, if you know of anywhere you've ever seen them, speak up sir!) but theres some new ones out now, the Vulcan D'Kyr Class Combat cruiser from ENT is one of them, looks great, just not sure where to buy it thats all.

Am after a Delta flyer, seen them for about $56 so far, so that buy it now for $25 is a bargin, I'd snap it up now if he'd ship worldwide!

matthewilw
11-22-2004, 07:28 PM
Sorry for the above brief post, was on my way out to work.

These are almost impossible to buy in the uk other than online, I've never seen or heard of them anywhere (britcit, if you know of anywhere you've ever seen them, speak up sir!) but theres some new ones out now, the Vulcan D'Kyr Class Combat cruiser from ENT is one of them, looks great, just not sure where to buy it thats all.

Am after a Delta flyer, seen them for about $56 so far, so that buy it now for $25 is a bargin, I'd snap it up now if he'd ship worldwide!

I found an auction that is located in the US and ships worldwide. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41143&item=6133351805&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Not sure if it helps ot not.

SWAFMAN
11-22-2004, 10:15 PM
I have the k-bop and rom warbird ones. One of the tips (guns) is broken off one of the bird of prey's wings, but the warbird is minty. I have the warbird displayed with my loose AFs. It looks great, except for having no stand. Scale-wise, it's smaller than an AF x-wing, y-wing or strike force k-bop, but not that much smaller. The sorta iridescent/pearlized paint makes up for any size difference, IMHO, although a skilled hobbyist could make it look awesome by highlighting the unpainted details in the mold.

JediTricks
11-23-2004, 12:37 AM
I am pretty sure you cannot take a Hallmark "Magic" Ornament and simply slap a battery into it. Christmas lights use an alternating current system which means the power supply is from the wall outlet, there generally aren't transformers which convert it to direct current (which is what a battery produces). You'd have to cut out the wiring and create a miniature DC-to-AC power converter to go inside along with the battery, all this of course after gauging exactly how much power the system needs.

britcit3
11-23-2004, 01:19 AM
MatW

As far as I am aware, these ornaments never make it to our shores (retail anyway).

I do have some - GSJ bagged me the SW Naboo set a few years ago - it's great.

I do want that Vulcan ship from ENT, but having to watch the pennies at the moment with Xmas just around the corner.

BC3

LTBasker
11-23-2004, 07:56 PM
I have the k-bop and rom warbird ones. One of the tips (guns) is broken off one of the bird of prey's wings, but the warbird is minty.

Same here on the Kbop, fragile little buggers. Guess it didn't help that all these years it's been been placed in the box loosely and able to tumble around. The Rom warbird's still pretty decent though, kinda hard to break that. One of mine's nacelles is kinda weak, was ok when we got it though. I think being tossed around inside the box might've knocked some of the wiring...

If you ever get the chance to grab the TOS Enterprise for a decent price I suggest you do so, it is hands down the coolest one. The LEDs around the saucer have their own blinking order and it's just freakin cool. Don't think the bussard collectors light up though, that's pretty much it's only weakpoint. It's just a little out of scale with the Galileo MM as well. If the MM was about half the size it is, it would likely be perfect.

Others that are pretty good are the Ent-D and Voyager and the Falcon.

I wish so much they would release a Shuttle Tyderium...

Btw Britcit, do you still want one of those Star Destroyers?

JediTricks
11-25-2004, 01:50 AM
My mom's fiance actually got that TOS Enterprise ornament as a gift and gave it to me! It's quite nice, but I actually like my Galileo 7 ornament a little better for some reason, I dunno why... maybe because it's Spock in that one. ;)

matthewilw
11-27-2004, 02:58 AM
I just won an ebay auction for a MIB Rio Grande Ornament for $8 including shipping..so I think I got a pretty good deal on that. When it comes in I'll take some pictures for size comparison if anyone is interested.

P.S. If someone could please PM me and inform me on how to upload a custom avatar it would be greatly appreciated.

JediTricks
11-27-2004, 03:55 AM
Nice get! I must admit, I'm thinking about caving in and getting that piece, the MM version doesn't quite satisfy my interest in this vehicle and the Playmates vehicle is unfortunately a little too misshapen.

You must have 100 posts to have a custom avatar, and then an upload field will appear in your avatar update page.

matthewilw
11-29-2004, 03:16 PM
I just found an interesting auction here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33856&item=2289624557&rd=1

I have never seen these before and was a bit intrigued by it. It just strikes me as more of a real ornament than most of the others.

JediTricks
11-29-2004, 11:19 PM
It's supposed to represent the stamp though, so it's basically just a flat picture of the Enterprise, not very ornament-y to me. ;)

matthewilw
11-30-2004, 12:29 AM
It's supposed to represent the stamp though, so it's basically just a flat picture of the Enterprise, not very ornament-y to me. ;)

I guess a 3D ornament of the ship does make more sense than a picture of it. But I always considered the ships ans such as more of a collector's item rather than a real ornament. Mostly because they're so bulky.

vulcantouch
12-08-2004, 10:26 AM
. . .as pictured in 4th pic down here (http://freespace.virgin.net/james.hobson/galstar.htm); and i'm willing to trade a whole passel o mostly klingon figs (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=264461&postcount=525) to get em :greedy:

matthewilw
12-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Well it looks like I won't be receiving my Rio Grande after all. The seller had given me a tracking number for the item..but the DHL website never showed a status for it. When I contacted the seller about it he contacted DHL and and was told that they were unsure of the packages whereabouts. The seller was very gracious and completely refunded all money paid to him for this auction and told me that if the ornament ever actually did show that I may keep it free of charge. It was very nice of him to refund my money..but I would much rather have the ornament. Now I have to try and win another auction at that price (I only have $10 on my paypal account before I have to confirm).

AndyW
02-09-2005, 10:30 AM
I've finally given in an bought my first hallmark ship. Was originally going to get the Vulcan Combat Cruiser first, but they had the runabout on offer so I thought I'd go for that one first, $15 dollors including shipping or 12 euros to me in real money. Not bad, I'm happy with that.

Also quite pleased with the site I've bought off, they are offering the Delta Flyer for $30 odd, which is a good price. Vulcan ship is about the same price. Will pick both of these up in the near future if I'm happy with the runabout.

AndyW
02-16-2005, 03:49 AM
Well, it arrived this morning, 6 days from the us, good service, would recommend them (hookedonhallmark.com) to anyone here. I am very impressed with the ship, wish I'd started collecting these in the past. Its a great size, about the same length as a furuta ship, but much bulkier, nice weight to it, but not heavy either. Detailing is top notch on all but the bottom of the ship. I've cut out the wires from the bottom (would never put it on a tree anyway) and the only mistake I've made is when I tried to remove the hook from the top it snapped before it came all the way out, so I'm going to have to grab some pliers and pull the little stub thats left out later.

Going to get the Delta Flyer next, bet that looks fantastic, think I'll be collecting more of these in the future. Matthewilw, try and pick another one of these up, you'll love the runabout.

matthewilw
02-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Going to get the Delta Flyer next, bet that looks fantastic, think I'll be collecting more of these in the future. Matthewilw, try and pick another one of these up, you'll love the runabout.

I actually won another auction back in december and received the runabout about just prior to christmas. I too was impressed with the level of detail, and, I too cut off the wires. But since it was christmas time I had to plug it in just to see what I was missing and I must say that the lights really make that piece come alive. My only disappointment with that ornament was the fact that it isn't held togethor with screws, it just appears to be glued togethor. So if I wanted to open it up and attempt to install free standing lights, I would have to risk damaging the ornament moreso than I would if it had screws. Oh well, I can always get another one for $10 or so to experiment on!

AndyW
03-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Delayed reply...

Glad you got one, I've been so pleased with mine. Finally got the little brass hook out properly and I've cleaned up my cutting of the wires so its not messy anymore.

Never lit mine up, have no christmas lights to hand, so I haven't seen what they look like.