PDA

View Full Version : Darth Vader wake up call

DarthChuckMc
11-23-2004, 12:40 AM
Want Darth Vader to wake you up on Black Friday?

Go to www.target.com/wakeup, and the Dark Lord himself will give you a ring!

http://target.com/target_group/stores_services/wake_up_videos.jhtml

Don't forget to check out the Wake Up commercials. The Dark Lord himself stars along side model Heidi Klum!

stillakid
11-23-2004, 08:58 AM
I love the newest one:

http://www.theforce.net/holonet/newspics/target/heidarth_genvir.mov

But isn't it interesting that all the ads (Target, Sportscenter) are using "old characters"? Where are all the Prequel tie-ins, eh? :rolleyes:

DarthChuckMc
11-23-2004, 06:04 PM
But isn't it interesting that all the ads (Target, Sportscenter) are using "old characters"? Where are all the Prequel tie-ins, eh? :rolleyes:

Come May 19th, 2005 Darth Vader WILL BE a Prequel tie-in :D :p

ps. oh yeah....and R2 and 3PO are already in the Prequels.

pss. add Chewbacca to the list of Prequel characters, too. ;)

stillakid
11-23-2004, 06:18 PM
Come May 19th, 2005 Darth Vader WILL BE a Prequel tie-in :D :p

ps. oh yeah....and R2 and 3PO are already in the Prequels.

pss. add Chewbacca to the list of Prequel characters, too. ;)

Yeah, that didn't escape me. But I think it was the presence of a good ol' fashioned Stormtrooper (Sportscenter) that tipped me off that they chose Original Trilogy characters for the spots. While, yeah, some of these guys are in all of the films, the versions we see are fairly identifiable as being OT.

Not to bash the Prequels or anything, but I just find it interesting that Lucasfilm would agree to license the characters in this way but choose to use characters who are over 25 years old over characters who, supposedly according to the fanatics around here, should be equally popular because of the "success" and timeliness of the Prequels. I mean, why a Stormtrooper instead of a Clonetrooper? Where are the Kaminoans? Or Watto? All those Podracer guys? Heck, where's Jar Jar? Why isn't he sitting next to Heidi Klum?

Is this an admission by Lucasfilm that the Prequels haven't engaged the public in the same way as the OT films did? If not, then what other explanation is there? :confused:

DarthChuckMc
11-23-2004, 06:27 PM
....because they are using those OT characters to help push OT DVD sales?

just a guess, seeing as it just came out a little over a month ago....

stillakid
11-23-2004, 06:37 PM
....because they are using those OT characters to help push OT DVD sales?

just a guess, seeing as it just came out a little over a month ago....

Ahh, could be....could be.

But Sportscenter? :confused: I'm not convinced that that is the Sci-fi audience. Target, TRU probably. But Sportscenter? :confused:

Slicker
11-23-2004, 09:05 PM
Is this an admission by Lucasfilm that the Prequels haven't engaged the public in the same way as the OT films did? If not, then what other explanation is there? :confused: The prequels have only been around for a couple of years while the OT has been around for 25. I would argue it to fullest to say that Vader is the most recognizable movie icon ever and besides do you really want to wake to Jar Jar. That's a good way to start the day wanting to die.

stillakid
11-23-2004, 09:50 PM
The prequels have only been around for a couple of years while the OT has been around for 25. I would argue it to fullest to say that Vader is the most recognizable movie icon ever and besides do you really want to wake to Jar Jar. That's a good way to start the day wanting to die.

Roger that. And as Star Wars geeky as I might be with the toys in my closet and all, I'd still choose Heidi over Vader any day. Who wants to wake up to heavy man breathing? (Okay, some of you, but most of us no.)