PDA

View Full Version : Just how overpopulated is Endor?

El Chuxter
11-24-2004, 10:57 AM
Last night, I popped in my new Ewoks DVD and passed out from the non-stop monotony and silliness of about an hour of the cartoon. (Seriously, would it have killed them to at least have the coloration on Chirpa, Logray, and Teebo almost somewhat resemble the characters in the film? I mean, come on!)

But how the ding-dang-heckamadoodle many intelligent species are running around on Endor? I know I've still got 3/4 of the cartoon DVD to slog through, and I need to rewatch the live action films, but here's the list so far:

Ewoks: Well, duh. Of course there are Ewoks on Endor. Extremely common (so common that no human has travelled to Endor and not met them), and found in trees, on lakes, and probably every other environment on the planet.

Marauders: Really dangerous, but really stupid, space pirates who have been trapped on Endor so long that they can't remember how a starship works.

Teeks: Apparently rather rare according to reference materials, but common enough for Ewoks to dislike them and for one (named Yeep) to somehow end up in a galaxy-wide race just before the Clone Wars.

Humans: Not especially common, but we've got at least the Towani clan, Noa, the Empire, and an especially nasty (but again none too bright) Nightsister running around. Plus all remote planets in SW seem to have a few pirate or smuggler groups running around.

Goraxes: The only sentient being I can remember from Caravan of Courage, but I'm pretty sure there were others. Giants (again, no geniuses) who love to keep pet Ewoks in cages. Only one is referred to in the movie, but statements in both The Illustrated Star Wars Universe and the Jedi Academy Trilogy indicate it is, indeed, a race of creatures.

Yuzzums: Probably the most travelled of the Endor natives, since one bounty hunter Yuzzum is seen in Jabba's Palace (and, try as we might, we can't forget the soaring vocals of Joh Yowza).

I am not sure, but I seem to recall reading that the stupid-looking spider things from the Ewoks cartoons are supposed to be Yuzzums. If not, those things count, because they're obviously sentient.

Wisties: Possibly the dumbest of the batch of dumb critter ideas from the cartoon, these are basically fairies. How original. Lak Sivrak was too derivative to stay in the Cantina, so why couldn't these things get Special Editioned?

Duloks: Supposedly distant cousins of Ewoks, though they look more like the Grinch's extended family. (We can probably assume that, given the liberties the animators took with the Ewoks, Duloks are probably more like 12-foot tall green Wookiees with horns and tails.) They're also mentally deficient and apparently smell really badly and attract bugs, too. They're the main foes of Ewoks, though in a more useless and cornball way, as only an 80s cartoon villain can be.

Phloggs: Okay, take the dumbest of any of the other creatures and cut its intelligence by 90%. The result would still look like a Nobel prizewinning geneticist next to a Phlogg. These things are just honkin' dumb. (Of course, they do have enough sense to diaper their infants, which gives them a slight leg up on Ewoks.) All any two Phloggs have in common is their giant size, mishapen appearance (some even have horns), and orangish color. Oh, and their complete lack of brains.

Morag: What is she? I don't know! She looks kinda like the love child of a Marauder and a Dulok, but Marauders weren't mentioned in the cartoon, and she doesn't really seem to be a Dulok when she meets up with them. About all I know about her is that she was once defeated by Logray, since apparently back in the 80s the official LFL story on the Ewoks didn't yet mention that Logray was a charlatan and a bully. (Of course, I kinda prefer Logray being a real medicine man myself. :)) So she might be a representative of yet another Endor species.

Okay, there are at least eight (possibly at least ten) intelligent races on Endor. And figure in that several reference sources have justified the huge size of the Gorax and the trees by stating that Endor has low gravity due to its small size.

This is one majorly crowded planet we're talking about here.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-24-2004, 11:19 AM
http://starwars.com/kids/explore/eu/f20041123/index.html

There's some on here you missed.

I don't yet have any of these DVDs, but I've seen the VHS version. I don't think that Endor is overpopulated species-wise; I mean look at all the different species of animals on Earth.

I think we're so used to there only being one or two kinds of creatures native to each planet/moon in SW (Dugs and Grans are the only things on Malastare . . . riiight), but that's likely because the EU people are lazy - not in the case of the Ewok cartoon, obviously.

I guess we won't know for sure how many of each species there are, or how small Endor is.

In reality, they were just likely trying to make a cartoon with as many different kinds of beings on there as possible. I doubt they were thinking that 20 years later people would be wondering whether Endor was crowded. ;)

Exhaust Port
11-24-2004, 11:30 AM
I think a better question would be how can so many dumb creatures live on the same planet? :)

Slicker
11-24-2004, 11:35 AM
I think a better question would be how can so many dumb creatures live on the same planet? :) Do you really want me to answer that or would you rather answer that one yourself? ;)

El Chuxter
11-24-2004, 12:13 PM
Okay, on that page, I think we'll definitely have to consider sentient the Gupins and Dandelion Warriors. (Jeez, I can't believe I'm actually writing that! I have to keep thinking of Kit Fisto and Han Solo to keep any respect for Star Wars! lol) And the goofy spider things are Yuzzums (I didn't realize they were riding spider creatures). This brings the total (not counting any Ewoks episodes that aren't in these two mini-movies or any stragglers from Caravan of Courage) to at least ten, possibly eleven (the jury's still out on Morag's species).

I agree and disagree with you, Mr. JabbaJohnL. ;) The folks making the cartoons couldn't have cared less about Star Wars continuity as a whole. However, Lucasfilm has adopted the policy that everything is considered "fact" until it contradicts something at a higher level of canon/credibility. (Meaning the Ewoks cartoons did happen, but Teebo has vertical stripes in two shades of gray and wears a boar-wolf skull instead of a normal hood.)

Return of the Jedi is the only true canon source of Endor information, and only the tree-dwelling tribe of Ewoks appear on Endor in the film. However, Yuzzums were planned for Endor and somehow wound up in Jabba's Palace instead. Those two species are indisputable facts.

The next step down would be Caravan of Courage and The Battle for Endor since these two were based on Lucas' ideas. So Teeks, Marauders, and Goraxes are true, since they don't contradict anything from ROTJ.

Quite a bit further down the list are the Ewoks cartoons, but they're the only other source for sentient species not mentioned in one of the films. (The Wildlife of Star Wars only covers nonsentients.) However, aside from a few minor contradictions in the appearance and personality of individual Ewoks, there are no discrepancies with the films, so there's no reason to eliminate any of the species from the cartoons.

The EU doesn't only address the intelligent species on a planet because the writers are lazy, but because usually only the intelligent creatures have any impact on the story. Sometimes nonsentients contribute (the dianoga or the ysalimiri), and sometimes they're cool "window dressing" (the worrt and the scurriers), but usually there's no reason to go into detail. If Leia is speaking with the Noghri to set up a peace treaty with the New Republic, it doesn't matter if the native equivalent of a mouse is twelve standard centimeters long and has a mating call that sounds like Joan Rivers belching. . . unless Leia hears or sees it and it makes an impression.

However, if this mouse is intelligent, it likely will have an impact on the progression of events if it's present.

Most planets have a small number of native intelligent species, simply because that's the way we understand evolution to work. As cool as it is to imagine a world where there are humans, elves, dwarves, hobbits, orcs, goblins, ents, and trolls, it doesn't really happen that way. There are a few exceptions in SW to the "one intelligent species per world" rule. There are Jawas and Tuskens on Tatooine (though whether either is truly native has never been established). There are Mon Calamari, Quarren, and Whaladons on Mon Cal. (The Grans rule Malastare, but they're native to Kinyen.)

At least two reference books have stated that Endor is small and has a low gravity as a way of explaining the number of giant-sized species there. Plus, since it's technically a moon, it's safe to say it's probably earth-sized or smaller.

Two of the species mentioned (humans and Marauders) have a high level of technological sophistication, but neither is native. But just about all the species are at least at what we'd consider a Stone Age level. There are at least eight native intelligent species that supposedly evolved on a relatively small planet. . . and two of them are giant sized!

Where did these things come from? Duloks and Ewoks are supposed to be biological cousins, so they likely came from a recent common ancestor (think modern man and Neanderthal man). It's not at all hard to see Yuzzums and Teeks sprouting from the family tree pretty recently, too. Phlogs and Gupins could be relatives of one another, since Phlogs aren't that incredibly big, and they could be slightly more distant relatives of Ewoks. But the Goraxes, with their immense size, would have to be even further distant.

Wisties and Dandelion Warriors don't appear to be related to any other species, nor to one another. This means there are at least three divergent family trees that resulted in intelligence.

Factor in the fact that Goraxes are big enough to cause a danger to entire communities of the other creatures, a lot of the species don't get along very well, and that there's no way to avoid massive death tolls between the sorcerers fighting all the time and the Imperial invasion, and it doesn't make much sense that there are this many left!

Am I spending too much time on this? Absolutely! lol

2-1B
06-01-2006, 04:10 AM
I was fine with the Gorax from Ewoks Episode I and the marauders from E2 were really pushing it with me...but they were humorous so I let that slide. I mean, Teek has to have some fools to trick into doing their own re-enactment of the Han vs. Greedo scene, right ? lol

I drew the line at that witchbird-woman. That was enough. I also disapprove of the critters in the cartoon. I haven't watched that in years though, so I should probably revisit it on DVD (actually I never watched the DVD so I should watch it for a first time lol ).

Humans are cool because I'm sure Noah is a relative of Han Solo or something and Chux knows how I feel about ol' Teek A Boo so I don't need to keep heaping praise on him. :)

seanmcfripp
06-01-2006, 07:35 AM
Humans are cool because I'm sure Noah...

Doesn't Wilfred Brimley count as his own species? The guy eats oatmeal for cripes sake.

JimJamBonds
06-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Wow this is WAYYY to much thought for such a silly question. lol

basschick
06-02-2006, 10:36 PM
hey, i thought the everything being fact was about movies but i didn't hear it applied to toons. do you have a reference or a url for that?

I agree and disagree with you, Mr. JabbaJohnL. ;) The folks making the cartoons couldn't have cared less about Star Wars continuity as a whole. However, Lucasfilm has adopted the policy that everything is considered "fact" until it contradicts something at a higher level of canon/credibility. (Meaning the Ewoks cartoons did happen, but Teebo has vertical stripes in two shades of gray and wears a boar-wolf skull instead of a normal hood.)

Banthaholic
06-03-2006, 01:39 AM
Doesn't Wilfred Brimley count as his own species? The guy eats oatmeal for cripes sake.
Yes, but unfortunatly he is the last if his species. His father (while on his deathbed) once told him, "when gone have I the last of the oatmeal eaters you will be, pass on what you have learned". So when Wilfred goes (should be any day now) his species will be defunt
No wait, there is another Q-u-a-k-e-r

Jargo
06-20-2006, 02:38 PM
"the ability to speak does not make one intelligent"

sentient lifeforms. if a creature is self aware then it's sentient yes? I only regard the movies/tv movies as canon. far as I'm concerned there are ewoks and yuzzum and gorax and ponies and borra and blurrgs and condor dragons. there must be those little fairy like things too. and some pretty nasty plant life. Endor is a moon orbiting a gas giant. how it managed to evolve into a life supporting environment is puzzling but apparently it did.
under the atmospheric conditions we see it's likely there are dozens of lifeforms roaming the moon. we only get to see one small part of the place, a region. If i remember right the marauders aren't indiginous to endor so we can discount them outright. And Charal is just something to gloss over much like Cindel Towani. or the fact that the ewoks eyes turn really odd looking in the tv movies.
oh and there's ducks on endor too. ducks. And whatever sort of creature it was that was hanging from the net trap that chewie and the rebels walked into.

also the whole low gravity thing doesn't wash. sure the yuzzum have long legs and the gorax is ridiculously large but it doesn't explain the stunted ewoks. or teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek. Or noa having been there a long time and being so squat and round.

El Chuxter
06-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Noa crashed-landed with an entire cargo hold full of yummy instant oatmeal (cinnamon spice flavor, to be exact). That's why he's big and round.

Jargo
06-20-2006, 03:05 PM
and ewoks and teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek?

Dominic Guglieme
06-20-2006, 07:09 PM
The long yuzzum limbs were likely a climbing adaptation more than anything else.

heh, ya'll know I had a rough fanfic for the "new" band members outlined. I just never wrote it.

El Chuxter
06-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Actually, according to the EU, yuzzums live in grasslands. Go figure.

Jargo
06-21-2006, 06:44 AM
And carry firearms. Kind of a better gorax deterrent than a flimsy toothpick spear. They also got soul.

El Chuxter
02-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Since Wisties glow and appear to eat giggles (damn, that's worse than Mace's acting, and that kid makes Jake Lloyd look like Orson Welles), I must assume they're energy-based. Oddly, there are no other documented energy-based lifeforms on Endor.

2-1B
02-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Noa crashed-landed with an entire cargo hold full of yummy instant oatmeal (cinnamon spice flavor, to be exact). That's why he's big and round.

Probably why he needs to check his blood sugar. "Check it often."
But does Liberty Mutual extend coverage to Endor ? :confused:

Actually, according to the EU, yuzzums live in grasslands. Go figure.

Yuzzums...you mean like Joh Yowza ? Wasn't he a yuzzum?

All this talk about Ewoks is making me seriously consider watching Battle for Endor today. :)