PDA

View Full Version : Understanding the Clone Wars

Rocketboy
11-24-2004, 07:45 PM
What's the deal with the Clone Wars? Some of it doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

From what I understand, when a planet/system defects to the Confederacy the Republic goes in, has a massive fight with them and the Seperatists (which may kill millions or more), in an attempt to force the planet/system back into the Republic.

So basically, it's a "stay in the Republic or we'll force you and kill many of you" mentality, right?
If so, were the Jedi too stupid to realize this?
If not, then what's the deal?
More poor EU?

Exhaust Port
11-24-2004, 10:58 PM
Do we know (non-EU) what the driving force is behind the expansion? What planets are they going after? Those that the Trade Federation ran in an attempt to secure raw materials for future growth?

stillakid
11-24-2004, 11:24 PM
Aside from the numerous other things I've found to be wrong about the Prequels, you've hit upon perhaps the biggest "what the ****?" there is.

Not only is Palpatine's "plot" poorly conceived and illustrated, but absolutely no explanation of any kind has ever been given as to the motivation for all of these star systems to defect. Or even be disgruntled. I mean, theoretically, we know that Palpatine is just trying to stir up trouble so he can step in and stage an underhanded coup. But in accomplishing that, he'd need to convince these other groups to want to leave the Republic with ....what? Why were they unhappy with the Republic? What went wrong? Where's the strife? From the looks of things, everybody in Prequel-land looks relatively happy. That whole Naboo thing was a hiccup and the Trade Federation got a little po'd, but they are just an organization, not a territory capable of "defecting." What about the rest of the freaky aliens in the Senate building? What are they all booing and cheering about all the time? What did little ET have to be angry about?

mabudonicus
11-25-2004, 08:04 AM
I think that the deal may be explained by the Republic becoming more about the "Big guys" than the majority , or the "little guy"

The naboo crisis was staged to highlight how, when something really needs to happen, the system won't allow it..... the republic is seen as inneffective and individual members become disillusioned, thus causing some members to look for an alternative... whether or not they realize that both "factions" are one and the same, it is an artificial conflict....

And stilla- yes, I think the deal is not that anyone is stupid, per se, so much as the "Big Picture" is far too big for many to comprehend... the Republic is useless, the separatists promise "fairness" and "action", that's all that counts, the Naboo situation (and not many realized that it was wholly constructed, not even the nemoidians necessarily, the "perfect assassin" like from the "Naked Gun") was more of an example for the other potential Naboo's out there...

That's how I sees it, anyways, it actually kinda makes sense to me somehow :beard:

And who knows what ET was so mad about, maybe long distance rates, their whole economy runs on telecommunications, so I've read :D

Slicker
11-25-2004, 10:15 AM
It could be like the whole cause for WWI. Treaties. If one star system has treaties with another vowing to go to war, defend, or follow said system then eventually you'll get alot of systems following one another.

Think about it. You could probably connect every country in the world through treaties. And if that's the case we may have had, through other countries, a peace treaty with Iraq.