PDA

View Full Version : 1/6th scale dewback and sandtrooper

Wolfwood319
11-12-2001, 12:24 PM
I don't know if this is happening anywhere else, but the TRU in Arlington Heights, IL drooped the price of the 12'' Dewback. Its approximately $69 bucks if I recall. Its still not a lot, but at least its starting to drop, hopefully it'll go down more after Christmas.

Anyone else see the price drops?

ACPin
11-12-2001, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
I don't know if this is happening anywhere else, but the TRU in Arlington Heights, IL drooped the price of the 12'' Dewback. Its approximately $69 bucks if I recall. Its still not a lot, but at least its starting to drop, hopefully it'll go down more after Christmas.

Anyone else see the price drops?

I've gotten mine from a TRU which has closed now for the clearance price of $29.90 several months ago. :happy: It was the only TRU that I've known to have reduced it by that much. IIRC at one time the online TRU had them on sale at half the retail price and free shipping to boot.

master jedi
11-12-2001, 07:00 PM
My TRU sucks. They have a billion Dewbacks and they still them marked at $80.

El Chuxter
11-12-2001, 07:10 PM
Maybe the management of TRU should talk with the management of Target. As long as those Dewbacks have been sitting and gathering dust, they'd give us $100 to buy 'em if they used Target's philosophy on marking down exclusives. :)

Sith Worm
11-12-2001, 07:41 PM
I long awaited the drop ,but it never came I have kinda got tired of wanting for the dew to come down and don't have any intrest in it any longer mine also is at 80.00.

hamsterboy
11-13-2001, 01:53 AM
You would think someone at TRU would get a clue and drop the price on these things. It's been almost a year since they have been out right?

GNT
11-13-2001, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by hamsterboy
You would think someone at TRU would get a clue and drop the price on these things. It's been almost a year since they have been out right?

My TRU has got figures STILL that came out in like 1991/2! at full price still (not that I care anyway!) Their policy is "if they ain't bought within 10 years of stocking them,wait longer..." ;)

They never learn!

Sith Worm
11-13-2001, 06:52 PM
All the green cards at my TRU are 1.97 all the time!

JEDIpartner
11-19-2001, 04:19 PM
You call $69 from $79 a price drop??? HA!

Call me when these Ba$t@rd$ have been marked down to $39 and we'll discuss!

Jayspawn
11-19-2001, 09:58 PM
I'm in the same place with master jedi. My TRU has TONS of these guys at full price!

Dark Knight
11-20-2001, 01:48 AM
I would love for tru to drop the price. Every week I think the stack of 12" Dewbacks keep getting bigger.

Hehehehheehheheee

bgood3
11-21-2001, 10:08 AM
I am in St. Louis, MO and found the Dewback marked down to $29.98 yesterday. They had several of them in fairly good shape, because they were kept up on the top shelf for the last year and a half! I would think this would be happening at other stores as well. Happy hunting...

JEDIpartner
11-21-2001, 11:33 AM
Consider me "called"!!! :p

ACPin
11-21-2001, 12:26 PM
If you can't get to a TRU, try their online store since they also have it on sale as I have posted in the Just Found forums.

JEDIpartner
11-27-2001, 11:06 AM
Picked up the Dewback, but have a question regarding the Sandtrooper's armour.

Have the previous Stormtrooper sculpts had the same "rubbery" armour as this one or is this exclusive to the Sandtrooper due to the "sitting pose"?

Still... I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!:D :cool:

El Chuxter
11-27-2001, 06:01 PM
'Bout time! :D Looks like the online store is out of 'em, but I'm hitting every TRU in SoCal until I find one of these bad boys. (Shouldn't take too long, methinks.)

$30 sounds worth it. $80 does not.

Wolfwood319
11-27-2001, 08:42 PM
I hit my TRU shortly after the drop, and they are still plentiful. If you don't see them on the shelves, look around at the top of the X-style shelves where the action figures are. I know they put a lot of excess merch. up there and it can be difficult to see.

Also, ask to see if they have any in back, I'm sure they have loads of 'em.

ACPin
11-29-2001, 09:20 AM
They still had at least 20 of them in the TRU where I go to. Not as many Sith Lords two-pack and I still decided not to get one.

JEDIpartner
11-29-2001, 11:34 AM
They had NO Sith Lord two-packs at the ones I go to! BUGGER! :frus:

Darthhellspawn
11-29-2001, 02:20 PM
Thats Correct , prices did drop.
I went to TRUs this past sunday an indeed the lowered the prices
i paid for mine $ 30.00 , so that means 2 things, 1. A big cleareance is going to be happening to open some space at their warehouse for the Episode II line up.
2. No one wanted to pay $99.00 for the 12" Sand trooper w/ Dewback (that was my case) so they had to lower its price to sell it. Also Tie Interceptor arrived for $34.99 at TRUs Here at Puerto Rico...

I also found some POTF Coin edition figures for $3.99
I love this Cleareance SH#@
they should do it all the time

derek
12-29-2001, 10:05 PM
i was at toys r us the other day, and as reported here, the dewback is now selling for about $30. the punk sales boy laughed at me when i told him i paid $80. anyway, it's an ok piece, but not everyone thought so. what kept most of you from buying it? i bet it was one of the following:

1: too expensive
2: out of scale
3: don't collect the big stuff

i bet if the dewback had been in proper scale, they would of sold a lot better. unfortunately, we'll probably never see a 12 inch scale jabba because the dewback failure has retailers scared.

Jargo
12-29-2001, 10:19 PM
What stopped me buying it was that it looked like the vintage 4 inch scale one. Which looked nothing like a dewback IMO. Plus this thing was a lurid green colour and it's tail was bent in the package on nearly all of the ones I've heard of people buying.
Plus the fact that as an import to the UK it cost like twice what it did in the States... need I go on....?:rolleyes:

bigbarada
12-30-2001, 12:35 AM
Ugly. Expensive. Same crappy Sandtrooper (after seeing the Marmit Sandtrooper, I'll never settle for the Hasbro version). Plus, I really only have room for one big 12" scale item and the Speeder Bike with Scout Trooper has all of them beat.

hamsterboy
12-30-2001, 01:29 AM
I'll give another reason. Every single one I've seen,the box looks like crap. Banged up and what not.

GNT
12-30-2001, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by derek
3: don't collect the big stuff

Plus the fact that it was never sold here :( and even if it did it would be AU$200+

Obi-Don
12-30-2001, 08:23 AM
For me it was the price and I don't collect the big stuff.

Jayspawn
12-30-2001, 03:47 PM
Don't worry derek. I paid $80 for mine too. For some reason I was caught in the moment thinking these would be hard to find and me happening to have $80 on me at the time.

JEDIpartner
12-31-2001, 10:21 AM
I didn't pick it up originally because I don't usually collect the 12" stuff. I have a couple, but mostly because they were given to me as gifts (TPM Obi-Wan, Electonic Darth Vader, The Story of Darth Vader w/exclusive Anakin, TC-14, Amidala Senate Gown). I think the scale is off. The Dewback should be bigger and doesn't much look like the Dewback in the film. The tail thing is a big issue with me.

I ended up picking it up for $30 about a month ago. I have it on the top of my hutch at work and it looks impressive there, but I certainly wouldn't want it at home. Glad I have my own office for my "Star Wars overspill". :p

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-02-2002, 11:04 PM
As someone who doesn't collect the big stuff because it is:

a) too expensive-only have enough money to spend on the staples of life: Star Wars, movies, music, tacos, etc. ;)
b) takes up too much room/don't have the space-if you can navigate through my bedroom without stepping on something Star Wars related you can have it. My 12 inch collection, if I had any, would creep into the hall and into my brother's room effectively drowning him.
c) so used to playing with figs that are near the standard 3 3/4 size - 12 inch wouldn't seem right.

But I caved in to low prices (yet again :sur: ) and bought this beaut for $29.99 the other week. The shear length of the dewback is worth the 30 dollar price. It is cool to display and who knows, maybe it will scare would-be robbers from my room? :o I am also considering buying the 12 inch speeder bike from Target if the price drops any further. :greedy:

evenflow
01-06-2002, 09:03 AM
The Dewback was horrible. I would love to see a 12 inch scale Jabba though.

Starfig873
01-08-2002, 12:29 PM
Well, I'm ashamed of it now, but I picked this thing up for the original $80. I still don't think it's that bad to tell the truth.

Had I the chance to do it again, I surely would have saved the $80. :)
But no heavy regrets from me.

SithDroid
01-10-2002, 02:39 AM
I have a couple of reasons I never picked it up.

1. Too expensive.

2. No room to put it.

3. Every single box that it came in was dented, torn, creased, or opened. Why pay $80 for that.

My Toys R' Us here literally got in around 50 of them for Christmas of last year and they sat on the shelves and collected dust.

I don't believe the scult was bad. I've seen worse on the 12" series.

humsup
01-10-2002, 06:38 AM
The reason I never got it :

1. Not easy to find here in Singapore
2. If found, the money can sponsor you a trip to the moon.
3. Too big, no room.

So practically, my reasons may be similar to so many of us here.

Dark Knight
01-11-2002, 12:06 AM
There are many reasons why I did not get the dewback. I don't collect 12 inch figures. I don't want to spend $80 on a bad looking figure. Plus I running out of room to store star wars items in my room.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

nazgul2002
01-14-2002, 09:02 PM
Hey all,

Anyone who has or likes the dewback but hates the tail...

I saw a solution to this on another site, forgive me but I foget the source. Anyway this guy does modifications to just about everything Star Wars. He took a can of that expanding foam spray, cut a small slit in the underside of the dewbacks tail, inserted the tube in the tail slit hit the spray trigger and boom!

No more flat bent Dewback tail.

I personally never collected the 12" stuff, no room.

Good luck with the surgery!!!

Mandalorian Candidat
01-29-2002, 11:59 AM
Not to make you feel bad derek, but I thought that anyone who would buy that thing for $80 is a dope. It's really big, clumsy looking, and lacks good articulation. I'm surprised it took as long as it did to get down to $30. Geez, the Queen's ship took shorter time to get discounted even more.

Tarkin the otter
01-31-2002, 05:38 PM
I waited like everyone else until the price was right then bought it, threw away that horrible chunky hasbro sandtrooper & replaced it with a marmit sandtrooper. Looks o.k, except the dewback still looks like a giant hamster.

stillakid
01-31-2002, 06:12 PM
I don't collect any of the 12" stuff because it generally looks like crap. The bodies are terrible and the faces usually are worse. The one exception in my collection is the 12" Biker Scout. If they could commit that level of accuracy and quality to the rest of the line, then maybe...

Oh, and $80 bucks!? Talk about a markup. I'd pay that kind of money for a big ship or killer playset, but not a cheeseball 12" figure.

Casual George
02-28-2002, 03:53 PM
I have all the original 12" figures. Got them when I was a kid. I just stick to the 3 3/4 figures these days due to storage limitations.

DarthMaulSithLord
03-03-2002, 04:03 PM
I didn't get it because it was out of scale and ugly as hell. Little detailing, no features whatsoever and a sloppy looking Trooper which coulden't even sit properly. It was also way too overpriced, but at the current time all the Star Wars items are overpriced. I.e. B-Wing and TIE-Bomber all retail for $39.99 which IMO is way too much. If they were electronic the price would be perfect and i'd gladly empty my wallet to get two of each, but now there are just boring. $24.99 - 29.99 would have been a much better price. And i said it before and i will say it again, if Hasbro keeps this up they'll loose their SW license. The only thing that could get me back into collecting everything again is if they make stuff which has playability, endurability and availability! Give me non-window boxes and electronic features, they rule!

:frus:

brentfett
04-08-2002, 10:50 AM
Too big, too pointless!

DarthMaulSithLord
04-11-2002, 08:52 AM
Btw, is anyone still finding the 12" Speederbike w/Biker Scout? Now that is a thing i'd love to have! IMO this, Electronic Vader and the 12" Portrait Amidala's are the only decent 12" items they made since 1977.

:)

jedi_uk73
04-11-2002, 03:00 PM
No chance of every buying it in the UK, unless you want to pay 130. That's the going price.

It may go for $30 or so in the US, but by the time it gets over here, the price is really stupid. It is also an 'UGLY' piece, I never have liked it. I don't generally collect any of the 12" unless they are in the bargain bin.

The ONLY 12" worth buying was the Speeder Bike with Scout, fantastic sculpting. May possibly get Luke & Speeder but the Dewback is a BIG NO NO.

Hellboy
04-14-2002, 02:34 PM
I payed $80 for it and don't regret it for a second because it's in a perfect condition box and it's quite a unique piece when you think about it. I really doubt that you'll be seeing to many of these in the future MIB

stillakid
04-14-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Hellboy
I really doubt that you'll be seeing to many of these in the future MIB

...especially since we won't really be looking for them either.;)

jrviking07
04-27-2002, 06:31 PM
I never had enough money to buy the 12 inch figures