PDA

View Full Version : What Other Passions Do You Have?

Slicker
11-27-2004, 02:07 PM
We all know that everyone in here loves Star Wars. But in an attempt to get pick your brain apart and find out what else we like I'll pose the question of what else in life besides SW do you have a passion for? Mine is WWII. I could go on for hours and hours about everything from certain battles, dates, people, individual units, vehicles, etc. You don't want to get me started because I won't stop.

scruffziller
11-27-2004, 03:20 PM
Hip Hop music and history. Again, me too, I can go on and on about it.

Rocketboy
11-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Art - I am an art geek.
Stone Temple Pilots - My absolute all time favorite band (Velvet Revolver is great too, but pales in comparison, IMO).
Other major interests, but I wouldn't quite call them passions:
DVDs - I love movies.
Books - I have too many and too many I haven't read.
WWII - I find everything about it facinating.

InsaneJediGirl
11-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Books-Especially anything before 1950.I only have a few above that time period,but its more of a search for books that I really like.
Gardening-I can fiddle around with my plants for hours,pretty good at it,only killed off a few things so far ;)
Astronomy-I'm a total science freak,and the possiblity of aliens and just the wonder of the sky keeps me interested.

Interests,but not passions would be video games and DVDs.Both are great,just not a total passion with me :)

Exhaust Port
11-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Aviation - everything from the current industry to history of commerical and military aviation as well as pilot stuff. I could go on for hours....
History - Primarily the 20th century military history especially those events revolving around aviation.
Transit vehicles - Classic transit buses primarily but also classic rail equipment.
Astronomy/Science - I love astronomy but I'm not even close to being knowledgable but find it incrediably insteresting. I read books about astronomy as well as astrophysics to whet the appitite. Also just science in general is very enjoyable.

I also have a list of strong interests...

80's television - I'm in heaven now that they are being released on DVD.
Movies - I'm not one to see too many movies in the theater but I really enjoy sitting down and watching things on my own TV.
College Football - it borders on a passion but it's only a few months of the year (at least for me)

--------

It's no suprise to see so many repeats among our forum members on this relatively new/young list. :)

Turbowars
11-27-2004, 09:03 PM
My wife;)
Late 60's and early 70's Muscle cars
My 96 Dodge Ram Sport making it sportier, just got 20's on her!
Wanting to buy a home.

Slicker
11-27-2004, 09:48 PM
Thank you for mentioning your truck Turbo. That's the other thing of mine that I love and don't let anyone mess with. I'm saving money now so come spring I can blow all of it on my truck.

Turbowars
11-27-2004, 10:08 PM
No problem. Yeah right now I'm in the process of getting 20 inch wheels on mine. I'm putting the 05 20" Ram wheels on, but ran into a few problems, but they will be on soon. It will stay stock height and the tires will fill up the wells a bit more. Next up is a Fiberglass Tonue cover, Rear disc brake conversion and new Rancho shocks.

Slicker
11-27-2004, 10:28 PM
I'd like to get some 20's but there's no way you could ever get them on a lowered Blazer so I'll stick with the 18's.

Bobby Fett
11-27-2004, 10:50 PM
In no particular order:

Military aviation 1914-1960's
Warships 1880's-WWII
MiG fighters
WWI Fokker fighters
Santa Fe Railroad
Southern Pacific Railroad

Dang, how could I forget the Evil Empire a/k/a the New York Yankees?

Slicker
11-27-2004, 11:08 PM
I'm starting to see even with the few post that we have a recurring aviation and war theme going here. I almost expected it since the 2 other people I know on here are into WWII. Interesting.

Rocketboy
11-27-2004, 11:09 PM
Oh. I forgot hockey and attractive women.

But I guess the latter is pretty much a given for most guys. :D

Rebo's_Guitarist
11-27-2004, 11:13 PM
Cars, I am ICAR certified, meaning I am a certified body man and painter
Photography
Cooking, oh I love cooking
Paintball
Music / my guitar

Slicker
11-27-2004, 11:17 PM
Where do you do body work and painting. And what exactly do you do body work wise? Car crashes or custom mods like shaved handles and such?

Turbowars
11-27-2004, 11:17 PM
I'd like to get some 20's but there's no way you could ever get them on a lowered Blazer so I'll stick with the 18's.Oh no there's always a way.

Slicker
11-27-2004, 11:19 PM
There is a way but I'm saving up to get airbags put on it and I don't want too much cutting to be done. If there isn't much cutting then I'm getting the 20's.

Rebo's_Guitarist
11-27-2004, 11:23 PM
I dont work anywhere as of right now, well not in that field anyways. All work I do in my shop at my parents house. Ive done deer hits, rear ends:), and a little rust work, although that is my leats favorite. Ive done a little custom stuff here and there, but not as much as I would like to.

dr_evazan22
11-28-2004, 01:44 AM
I can think of two things right now. The first is Spider-Man... I've been a fan since I was 3 and I haven't stopped. The other is volunteer firefighting. I haven't done any since I moved to DE 4 years ago (it's way different here then in PA), but my pulse still quickens when I hear the sirens. I hope to return to it at some point.

Hellboy
11-28-2004, 03:06 AM
-Movies, from seeing them in the theater to buying them on DVD. I'm especially passionate about sci-fi and horror films.
-Home Theater
-Comic Books
-Video Games
-NFL Football, specifically the Seattle Seahawks.
-Camping. Lots of beautiful countryside here in the Pacific NW.
-Mountain biking in the summer and snow boarding in the winter.
-Grilling anything I can think of on my BBQ.

Exhaust Port
11-28-2004, 09:02 AM
In no particular order:

Military aviation 1914-1960's
Warships 1880's-WWII
MiG fighters
WWI Fokker fighters
Santa Fe Railroad
Southern Pacific Railroad

Dang, how could I forget the Evil Empire a/k/a the New York Yankees?

I have this feeling that a lot of us are cut from the same cloth. I like how you capitalized the "G" in MiG. There's a man who knows what he's talking about. :D

mabudonicus
11-28-2004, 10:21 AM
I'll say WWII too... my Grandpa was a recon Pilot Officer in the RCAF and he told me a lot about the war, both from what he knew and what he actually did, he flew a bunch of different Spitfires, his faves were any with Rolls Royce "Griffon" engines in them, but he flew a few Mustangs and said that, for a pilot, those were the most "ergonomically designed" and thus slightly more fun to fly.... (you WWII buffs should see my collection of photos, BTW, lots of shots of the ruins of Berlin etc that are just plain spooky) and the machinery of all sides still fascinates me, I have built almost every major aircraft from WWII in one scale or another....

I love to grow all types of plants, but my fave is my collection of Carnivorous ones, I have maybe 30 different species, starting with Venus flytraps and going all the way to nutty pitcher-vines from Borneo and sundews from places like Frasier island Australia and Botswana.....

Cooking- being vegan means a love of cooking is sorta pre-requisite

Painting miniatures- doing it for years, jjreason can vouch for my ability...

Heavy Metal- playing it, listening to it, talking about it, you name it :beard:

And Jazz, too, I love listening to Jazz, ideally instrumental, modal stuff from the late 50's to the present

Silver age Marvel comics, too, the real deal :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Filmmaking - this is what I want to do for a career. I haven't done much mainly due to lack of a camera (I bought one earlier this year and later found it had no USB interface, which is what I wanted), but a few years ago my friend and I were going to make a movie that never got completed.

Drawing - I do it sometimes, not as much as I used to. I think it's fun and I'm not too shabby.

Harry Potter - after SW, this is my big area of geeky interest. I can read the books over and over and never get bored, same with watching the films (though POA blows away the first two).

I guess I don't have a whole lot of "passions" besides these. SW is obviously at the top of my list, that consumes most of my free time anyway. :D

LusiferSam
11-28-2004, 12:47 PM
A lot of the things that I like are real interconnected.

WWII: I just find the subject fascinating. The battles, the people, equipment, and most important to me, the implications.

History: If there wasn't another subject I found more interesting I would be a historian. My favorite periods (not counting WWII) are Greek and early Roman, the Crusades, and the American Revolution. I also like the US Civil War but get bored with of the battle and crude tactics.

Model building: The two great hobbies I have are building and collecting, and this fits both. I only build WWII airplanes at 1:48 scale. It ties back to history and WWII. Unfortunately I don't have much time of this these days, not enough hours in the day.

Astronomy/physics: I love astronomy and am totally fascinated by it. One of those childhood I never out grew (like SW). Currently I'm working on an advanced degree in astrophysics (which is why I don't have time for other things). If you want to see the type of stuff I'm doing follow this link (http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/), then look at the Chandra or XXM-Newton pages.

Lego: I love this little plastic bricks. I'm not talking the SW stuff (its a happy coincident Lego picked up the SW license) I'm talking in general. I have a decent sized collection of sets, somewhere in the neighborhood of 350 and plus an untold number of spare bricks. Large to causal collector, small to a hard-core one. Most of my stuff is Castle and Pirate. If you'd like see some of my work I started to post some stuff here (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=LusiferSam), enjoy.

Slicker
11-28-2004, 01:40 PM
(you WWII buffs should see my collection of photos, BTW, lots of shots of the ruins of Berlin etc that are just plain spooky) Do you possibly have a public photo album on the internet somewhere for others to look at? I would really like to see them.

My grandfather was also in WWII and from what I gather my aunt has a picture he took of Mussolini and Clara Petacci strung in the center of Milan.

Exhaust Port
11-28-2004, 02:00 PM
Do you possibly have a public photo album on the internet somewhere for others to look at? I would really like to see them.

I second that. :)

mabudon, where was your grandfather stationed?

Slicker
11-28-2004, 09:06 PM
For those of you into WWII did you watch the show on Discovery Channel? It's about the July bomb plot and they used CG to reconstruct the faces of the big 4 leaders and they've placed them in there every day situations and they look quite good. It's on again at midnight eastern time if you didn't catch it.

Darth Mina
11-28-2004, 10:52 PM
Besides SW my passions are
MotoGP. watching on cable and then taking my bike out for a spin
Photography is my second just alittle behind SW. I love to take pictures of people and landscapes

James Boba Fettfield
11-29-2004, 05:30 PM
I think I would have to go with horror. You are probably thinking, "Horror, what the hell kind of answer is that?"

...the best one I can come up with. I like all things horror. We can talk anything that horror spans into: film, literature, collectibles, etc. I suppose science fiction falls into that mix, too.

So anything sci-fi or horror I have a passion for.

I am interested in lots of other things, but the horror stuff has been with me for all I can remember of my twenty years.

scruffziller
11-30-2004, 09:58 AM
Also anything Mafia. I love the Sopranos and all the gangster stuff from Martin Scorcese.

Tonysmo
12-05-2004, 01:49 AM
Lego: I love this little plastic bricks. I'm not talking the SW stuff (its a happy coincident Lego picked up the SW license) I'm talking in general. I have a decent sized collection of sets, somewhere in the neighborhood of 350 and plus an untold number of spare bricks. Large to causal collector, small to a hard-core one. Most of my stuff is Castle and Pirate. If you'd like see some of my work I started to post some stuff here (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=LusiferSam), enjoy.

Thats just plain ol Kick ***** man. great job. I mean, seriously wow. If ya'll havent checked this out. DO it. Do it.. do it. do it.. ( sorry, lil starsky n hutch there )

My passion other than hangin with my kid, and Star Wars.. has to be fishing. I love to fish. The wife cant understand how I can spend an entire day on the lake. I think its pretty darn easy.

you can add paintball, Legos, and I spose now SWG to the list. I havent shot anyone with a paintball in quite awhile though. Im due.. time to drive downtown and look for some homeless people.. :sur: :speech:

IM KIDDING!! settle down. :D

Kidhuman
12-05-2004, 08:53 AM
I would say sports. I lo0ve watching sports. I am so irked that hockey is on strike, lock out or what ever they are doing.

Lord Malakite
12-06-2004, 10:09 AM
Lets see, I'm good at art, particularly drawing. I can draw just about any cartoon character (be it Snoopy, Scooby Doo, Sponge Bob, Yogi Bear, or even Krillon from DBZ, etc.). I have also honed my drawing skills quite well in MS Paint and made dozens upon dozens of icons from scratch, of course most people who talk to me AIM already know that. ;) I think Guyute may have even had an accident in his pants after I showed off my Family Guy line of icons. :D

I'm also a big video gamer. Needless to say, I ignore all the health hazard warnings about video games and have been known to play for 6-12 hours straight at times. lol I've even popped the blood vessels in my eyes before because of it. :eek: If you ever look in the link of my signature, you'd also see that JBF and I have aquired a rather large sum of games in our lives. Perhaps not the largest collection ever seen, but impressive none the less.

My other passion would be the two kid shows I never miss, Power Rangers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Not only do I watch these shows extensively, but I enjoy discussing them with other fans, most of which are well-known names from SSG (yes, there are other PR and TMNT fans from SSG).