PDA

View Full Version : The All-Inclusive Different-Flavored Soda Thread

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-28-2004, 05:41 PM
There was a thread a while ago on Pepsi Blue, a drink which has since been retired. What do you think of some of the somewhat odd drinks out there?

*Mountain Dew - Code Red, Livewire, Taco Bell's Baja Blast, Pitch Black
*Pepsi - Wild Cherry, Blue (R.I.P.), Vanilla, Holiday Spice
*Coke - Cherry, Vanilla, w/Lemon, w/Lime

And whichever other ones there may be that I forgot. Hmm . . .

I don't particularly enjoy the pee-colored version of MD, but I like the others. Livewire's my favorite, shame it only comes out in Summer. I usually only get Code Red from a vending machine or at a fast food joint, but it's good too. Pitch Black seems just like grape soda with caffeine, which may or may not be a good thing. The one that's exclusive to Taco Bell really has no distinguishing qualities, though it supposedly tastes like lime.

I never really go for cherry flavored drinks, unless that's all they have. I thought Pepsi Blue was pretty good, apparently that wasn't the view of the general public. I love Pepsi Vanilla, moreso than Coke, even though it's a rip-off. I'm afraid to try Holiday Spice, it seems really weird. Don't think I've ever had lime Coke, maybe lemon but it didn't strike me as great.

JediTricks
11-28-2004, 08:06 PM
Of those, I have only had Cherry Coke since I rarely can handle caffeine. I like it, I think it tastes really good, I just wish they made a caffeine-free version.

When Crystal Pepsi (v1) was out, I liked that a lot, but it didn't really taste like Pepsi. The second version was worse, they tried to turn it into Sprite or something and it just didn't hold up.

Right now, the only alt-flavored soda I drink is Cherry 7-Up, I think it's really good at first, then dwindles to just ok the more you drink it in one sitting, so I only drink a little at a time.

Someone talked me into buying that new Mixed Berry 7-Up Plus or whatever it's called, it's horrid! I hate artificial sweeteners, they all taste chemically and gross, and the Splenda in this stuff is no different even though technically Splenda isn't artificial. And the other flavors don't get along well either, just awful.

Exhaust Port
11-28-2004, 09:31 PM
My favorite different-flavored soda was 7-Up Gold. Man, I absolutely loved that stuff. It was kind of a spice drink similar to Ginger Ale but more spicey. It's a tough flavor to explain.

It came out in the middle to late part of the 1980's and only lasted for a year or 2. I think it was only released into test markets so not everyone may have seen it. Strangely 5 or more years after it disappeared off the shelves here my brother was in a remote part of the state at some small mom & pop store or deli where they were still selling 7-Up Gold.

Slicker
11-28-2004, 09:56 PM
I frequently drink Cherry Pepsi, Cherry Coke, MD, and Code Red. I couldn't even force myself to drink an entire bottle of Pitch Black. I don't think they added enough flavor to my bottle of sugar.

BTW, it's not called soda it's called pop get it right.;)

James Boba Fettfield
11-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Don't be afraid of the Holiday Spice unless you fear cinnamon flavor.

If you can wash down the gorilla p*** that was Pepsi Blue, then you should have no problems with Holiday Spice.

As for the vanilla flavors, I favor the Coke brand. It reminds me of Captain Morgan and Coke. Maybe I would think the same of Pepsi Vanilla if I had ever tried regular Pepsi with the Captain.

I will just stick with my cherry flavored coke and pepsi for the time being, though.

Bacta Beast
11-28-2004, 11:48 PM
CODE RED IS THE NECTAR OF THE GODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Baha Blast sucks!)

Bobby Fett
11-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Dr. Pepper RULES! :)

Holiday Spice is okay, but not something I will miss when it's gone.

BTW, it's not called soda it's called pop get it right.;)

BTW, it's called soda - "pop" is the sound bottle rockets make. ;)

Speaking of which, does anyone else ever engage in bottle rocket wars?

Slicker
11-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Mountain Dew tastes the best with Taco Bell. It's just one of those things.

And, BTW, I'm from the north so it's pop and I'm not listening otherwise. *sticks fingers in ears* la, la, la, la, la, la, la.;)

Rocketboy
11-29-2004, 12:18 AM
Dr Pepper for life!
Pepsi is good.
Cherry Coke is also decent.
I hate regular Coke unless it's from the fountain.

And it's pop. Only wierd people call it soda.

Bobby Fett
11-29-2004, 12:44 AM
And it's pop. Only wierd people call it soda.

Are you calling me weird, after all I've done for you? Oh wait, I am weird. lol

For Pete's sake, how do you properly spell wierd (weird)? I'm so confused. :confused:

That does it. No more words with "ie" or "ei". I hereby decree that henceforth "ei" or "ie" shall be replaced with "@".

Back on subject, I haven't seen 3-V Cola, Royal Crown Cola or Sun-Drop in ages. Are they still available anywhere?

kool-aid killer
11-29-2004, 01:46 PM
I am a staunch Dr. Pepper drinker. My other favorites are Cherry Pepsi and a Sprite. My favorite Cola is RC, aint nothing wrong with a little ghetto Cola every now and then. Pepsi is okay though. I have never tried Mt. Dews Baja Blast and Pitch Black, and have no desire to do so. I liked Livewire and Code Red but dont drink them often. I prefer Vanilla Pepsi to Vanilla Coke, i kind of liked Pepsi Blue, but hate their holiday drink. Thats nasty! I didnt mind Cokes lime and lemon flavors, but hardly drink them anymore. Ive seen a cherry Dr. Pepper but have yet to run across any in the stores. That could become the champ because i really love Dr. Pepper and Cherry Pepsi. I dont really drink 7-ups DNL or whatever its called, its okay though. Jeditricks mentioned the Mixed Berry 7-up drink and i will never drink that crap again. It was so freaking nasty i poured it into the toilet and flushed. A waste of a dollar if you ask me. I should have jacked it instead, i wouldnt have felt so bad.

El Chuxter
11-29-2004, 03:21 PM
Holiday Spice Pepsi is pretty good. It tastes like the original-original Crystal Pepsi that they test marketed in some areas. (This went over well, so they made it nationwide, with a completely different flavor. Why, I have no idea.)

I tend to not get funny-flavored cokes (I'm 'riginally from Nawth Ca'lina, and it's all called coke there no matter what brand or flavor :D), but I found both the Tropical Sprite Remix and Sprite Remix Berry Blast to both be yum-diddly-scrumptious.

And I must agree that Vanilla Coke tastes like a good rum and Coke, but without the necessity of showing ID. :p

BanthaPoodoo
11-29-2004, 05:27 PM
My faves so far:

Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper (there was a test market in GA when I went there last month!)
Vanilla Pepsi (not as much vanilla as coke, goes down a little smoother)
Mountain Dew Livewire (I Love this stuff & buy it by the case so I can have enough to last me the rest of the year)

Have to try & find the Holiday Spice... sounds interesting!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-29-2004, 06:53 PM
I like both kinds of Sprite Remix, but I prefer the original Tropical flavor to the Berryclear (what a stupid name!). I wish they still sold Tropical. Maybe next year we'll get a third version?

I love dnL! That stuff is awesome. I haven't seen it in a while, I hope it hasn't been replaced by 7up+ or whatever it is. That crap sounds gross, but I may have to try it out of curiosity.

Never having had any alcohol, I don't know what rum & Coke tastes like, but I think Vanilla Coke tastes like a melted version of a Coke Icee. Then again, I haven't had either in quite some time.

Shame I never tried Crystal Pepsi, I never knew much about it till "I Love the 90s." I don't see the point of taking away the color from a perfectly fine soft drink.

My favorite soda, though, is Mug's Root Beer, though it's not really odd-flavored. God, I could drink that crap all day and still never get tired of it.

Rocketboy
11-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper (there was a test market in GA when I went there last month!)A crime against nature!
They should not be messing with the Doctor!
Especially with 2 flavors!

Kidhuman
11-29-2004, 09:37 PM
The only SODA I drink is Diet Pepsi right now. ABout 4 years ago I did the Atkins diet and switched my brand of SODA to that. I have tried Orange Mountain Dew and I like it. The Pitch BGlack Soda was ok. I used to drink Mountain Dew like crazy and regualr Pepsi.

And yes, it is called SODA. Pop just sounds odd.

JediTricks
11-29-2004, 10:09 PM
For Pete's sake, how do you properly spell wierd (weird)? I'm so confused. :confused:

That does it. No more words with "ie" or "ei". I hereby decree that henceforth "ei" or "ie" shall be replaced with "@".Weird is spelled "weird", the IE rule doesn't apply because it's... weird. :D

Back on subject, I haven't seen 3-V Cola, Royal Crown Cola or Sun-Drop in ages. Are they still available anywhere?Haven't heard of the first or last, but RC is still doing business out here.

I hate regional sodas, caffeine-free Dr Pepper is only available in 7 markets in the country!

The Chux mentioned Tropical Sprite Remix, I forgot about that one, it was pretty good at first, but got not-so-good fast. I suspect it had the same issue as Cherry 7-Up, tastes good for about 4 ounces then starts not being as good, but with Sprite Remix it was SO much flavor & sugar & syrup that once it hit the "not so good" level of about 4oz, it became undrinkable.

Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper (there was a test market in GA when I went there last month!) Geez! What else they gonna throw in, cheddar? The really sad part is that cherry is one of original ingredient flavors of Dr Pepper anyway (though the long-rumored "prune" never was).

Oh, and it's "soda", "pop" makes you sound like you're living in a 1950s sitcom; and it's a "shopping cart" or "basket", never a "trolley". :D

Kidhuman
11-29-2004, 10:14 PM
Oh, and it's "soda", "pop" makes you sound like you're living in a 1950s sitcom; and it's a "shopping cart" or "basket", never a "trolley". :D

JT, you have no idea how much it irks me that people in Va. call a shopping cart a "buggy". It makes me cringe evry single time I hear it. Trolley is annoying, but not as irritating as "buggy". Typing it makes me cringe. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :frus: :beard:

RooJay
11-30-2004, 03:33 AM
I have a standing policy of trying out every new soda that hits the market excepting those that contain aspartame or other sugar substitutes (nasty stuff, that).
Some of my past favorites have been Crystal Pepsi (I loved the stuff!), Mountain Dew Pitch Black, Peach Nehi, Boylan's Creamy Red Birch Beer, Safeway Select Red Twist (the Redvines flavored soda), Blackberry Loco (blackberry and chili powder) and Tropical Sprite Remix.
I made a special trip to the store soon as I heard about Holiday Spice Pepsi. It sounded like it should be pretty awesome - I have a fondness for "holiday spices". I was decidedly less than pleased. That stuff is pretty wretched. I don't really remember Crystal Pepsi tasting like that so I must never have had the "original-original" stuff. Shame, it could've been great.
When I was in Hawaii I used to get this Mango soda from the corner store all the time. Hawaiian-something it was called. It was great!
I also really love Coco-Rico, the coconut flavored soda from Puerto Rico.
Some of my least favorites would have to be Afri-Cola, Moxie, and Vanilla Coke which to me has a slight hint of Play-Doh flavor.

If anyone's interested, there's a company that specializes in selling sodas on the web:

http://www.sodapopstop.com/home.cfm

Anyone else seen this stuff before?:

http://www.sodapopstop.com/products/detail.cfm?link=628

Anyone actually tried it? I'm sure it's disgusting, but I'd like to try and find out exactly how disgusting!

I've always wondered why most soda companies seem to stick to the same flavors never straying far from the usual Cola, Orange, Cherry, Grape, Root Beer, Ginger Ale, and Vanilla. I'd love to see more regularly available sodas with Mango, Apple, Coconut, Blueberry, Peach, Caramel, Almond, Pineapple, Kiwi, Blackberry, and Chocolate. By the way, Chocolate Coke would be bomb! In know for a fact because I invented one - I used the flavored syrups that Target now offers in their caffeteria/snack bar areas and put chocolate flavored syrup in my Coke! I highly recommend it.

El Chuxter
11-30-2004, 01:04 PM
To anyone with the resources to get these tough-to-find-in-some-areas soders, I recommend Sun Drop (what Mountain Dew would taste like if it was truly lemon-lime and not urine flavored) and Blenheim Ginger Ale (which will burn your mouth).

And for y'all over 21 (meaning if you're a minor, stop reading), try Holiday Spice Pepsi with a half-shot of Captain Morgan's. :)

Kidhuman
11-30-2004, 10:00 PM
Some of the best SOda I ever tasted was Manhattan Special.

http://www.polsteins.com/manspecescof.html

I dont like coffee, but that stuff will put Jolt COla to shame. Talk aboout getting the shalkes.....damn I miss that stuff.

JediTricks
11-30-2004, 10:05 PM
JT, you have no idea how much it irks me that people in Va. call a shopping cart a "buggy". It makes me cringe evry single time I hear it. Trolley is annoying, but not as irritating as "buggy". Typing it makes me cringe. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :frus: :beard:I've only heard that one on TV shows talking about how our language differs throughout the country. "Buggy" makes me think of dunes, the moon, and babies... NOT groceries!!! Anybody who actually uses that term IS buggy. ;)

RooJay, Moxie used to be a regular soda, I've never actually had it, but I've seen signs and my mom used to mention it.

Oh, and how in the world did you find that Jones Soda giftpack? That sounds so awful that I *must* try some.

I've heard that in the '40s, '50s, and '60s, the soda companies tried all sorts of weird flavors, and found that most peole seem to like only regular things.

There's a chocolate diet soda from "Canfields", I think, it's still out but I haven't had it since I was a kid, it was really good back then though before Aspertame came out.

Oh yeah, I'm a big believer in egg creams, which have no eggs but are chocolatey and delicious. And I love Dr Browns, but I still won't try their Cel-Rey soda because celery-flavored soda sounds awful.

Rocketboy
11-30-2004, 10:26 PM
I remember last year they had a story on Headline News about the Turkey flavored Jones Soda. They made a very limited amount and they were being sold on Ebay of big time cash, as in hundreds.
If I ever pay that much for a POP, it had better be the greatest tasting thing ever and never run out.

Slicker
11-30-2004, 10:45 PM
I saw pics of some of those flavors in a recent thread but can't recall which one it was. They had mashed potatoes and gravy and I think cranberry's to name a few.

James Boba Fettfield
12-01-2004, 06:31 AM
I saw pics of some of those flavors in a recent thread but can't recall which one it was.

It was my Thanksgiving worship thread.

Rebo's_Guitarist
12-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Ok ok ok, no one I have asked remembers this, so maybe someone here will. Does anyone remember the soda back in the mid 90's called OK Soda?! Anyone? They had really weird commercials, and frankly it tasted less than OK, but am I the only one to remember this?!

LusiferSam
12-01-2004, 12:57 PM
I'm not a big fan of any alternative flavored pops. I remember drinking Cherry Coke as a kid when it was all the rage. After the third one I really started to hate the taste.

Any one remember Oribitz? My sister really liked the stuff. I never tried it, it looked to gross.

A note on the slang terms for carbonated soft drinks, they're highly regional. I've had this conversation with my cousins before (their pretty spread out). Parts of Colorado say coke, others say pop. Most of New England says pop (this is from my cousin who lives there). The middle west is pretty mixed. The South is mostly soda (this is from my freshmen room mate). California I thought was mostly pop. And Montana is a pop state.

El Chuxter
12-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Moxie has a kind of licorice flavor to it. Not bad. There's a store somewhere in the LA area that has a bunch of specialty sodas that carries it. I'll look up what it is and report back.

KH, I tried Manhattan Special once and it really, really, REALLY sucked IMHO. I love soda, I love coffee, but this didn't quite work for me. Oh, and they're called buggies. Deal with it. :p

Slicker
12-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Actually the south is really funny about what they call it. I was stationed in Florida for a couple of months and you go into a resteraunt and you ask for a Coke and they ask you what kind. They don't call it soda or pop. Everything is coke.

Rebo's_Guitarist
12-01-2004, 02:39 PM
Orbitz was sick!!! It was thick, and those floaty things made you gag! Nasty...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Orbitz was sick!!! It was thick, and those floaty things made you gag! Nasty...
Was that what it was called? I never had it. What were those little balls in there?

At Disney World, at Epcot, there's this big ice cave you walk through and in the middle there's this cool little station where you can taste drinks from all around the world. There's some Japanese watermelon drink, that was awesome. Some of the others were gross though.

Rebo's_Guitarist
12-01-2004, 07:52 PM
Was that what it was called? I never had it. What were those little balls in there?
They were like really chewy gummi ball things.

RooJay
12-01-2004, 11:04 PM
RooJay, Moxie used to be a regular soda, I've never actually had it, but I've seen signs and my mom used to mention it.

I know, and it's disgusting - tastes like cola flavored medicine. It actually still is a regular soda in some places. In fact, there are quite a few stores in my area (SF bay) that carry it regularly.

California I thought was mostly pop.

California is most definitely a "soda" state. The only people here that call it "pop" are people that ain't from here. I have a couple of friends that are originally from Chicago that used to call it pop until we Californians set them straight. Now they know it's called soda. My best friend was also raised in New York and when he moved back here for a time he was under the mistaken impression that it was called pop also. He's no longer so confused. :D

Lord Malakite
12-02-2004, 01:25 PM
I would have to say one of my favorite pop sites to visit is Soda Favorites (http://www.sodafavorites.com/). Not only do they sell most of the rare pops from years gone by, they also have information on all the new releases.

I would say that I like the Mountain Dew line of flavors the best. I even made a special trip to Taco Bell just for the Baja Blast flavor, which by the way was well worth it. Pitch Black tasted more like carbonated grape juice to me than it did grape pop, not that it is a bad thing. Livewire tasted sort of like that orange drink they give you for diabetes testing. :D Then of course you got Code Red and the original which are good in their own right. If you really want a burst of Mountain Dew flavor though you have to mix all the Dew flavors in one glass. Talk about sweet. ;) Currently I'm looking forward to the next Dew flavors scheduled for release. Mountain Dew Electricution, scheduled for Easter 2005. Its supposed to be mixed berry flavored and will be neon purple in color. :eek: Another flavor in the works is Mountain Dew Artic. Its supposed to be either white or light blue in color and be peppermint flavored. And if that isn't enough, 5-6 more Taco Bell exclusive Dew flavors are also in the works, one of which is supposed to be flavored with passion fruit.

Kidhuman
12-02-2004, 01:30 PM
KH, I tried Manhattan Special once and it really, really, REALLY sucked IMHO. I love soda, I love coffee, but this didn't quite work for me. Oh, and they're called buggies. Deal with it. :p

BLASPHEMY on 2 counts. Manhattan special rocks. I used ot drink 40's of it before scholl each morning and then crash right after homeroom in economics class.

ANd for the love of GOD, it is a shopping cart.

LuciferSam....orbitz was nasty, I drank it once and it felt like I was OD'ing on medication as I drank it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-02-2004, 05:44 PM
On sodafavorites.com, I saw that Ecto Cooler is gone forever. Not a soda, but still, I used to like that stuff!

Mountain Dew, when will it stop? It looks like there may be watermelon, good to hear. Electrocution could be good, not sure about Arctic. Will have to get all the Taco Bell flavors though.

JediTricks
12-02-2004, 06:19 PM
Any one remember Oribitz? My sister really liked the stuff. I never tried it, it looked to gross.I think that's not quite the right name, it's like "Orbitz" or something, it's not carbonated, but it had neutrally-buoyant spheres that floated throughout the drink which you could eat, they had a different flavor from the drink itself, I thought it was good enough but didn't drink it a lot. I was amused by the spheres, I like things floating in things without floating to the top, neutral-buoyancy is cool.

California I thought was mostly pop. Born and raised here, Cali is most definitely a "soda" state.

What I think is funny is that Mountain Dew used to be a very unpopular drink, barely hung in through the '60s (Yah hoo! Mountain Dew!), '70s, AND '80s. Then it became what Jolt wanted to become and has taken off. I like the flavor of original, but it's too much caffeine for me, and my mom's fiance has gotten serious urinary tract problems from drinking it just semi-regularly!

LusiferSam
12-02-2004, 11:47 PM
California I thought was mostly pop.
This statement was based on conversations with friends and neighbors from my dorm who were from California. All but one of these people said pop.

Recently I starting drinking pop from Thomas Kemper. I'm not sure if it's available everywhere, but the grape soda is one of the best and the cream soda is great. The root beer is pretty too. I've not try the other flavors but I'm sure the great as well.

Rebo's_Guitarist
12-03-2004, 11:06 AM
Most people call it pop here too, except I like to throw people off and call it a "soft drink".:)

Kidhuman
12-03-2004, 11:07 AM
Really mess with them and call it a carbonated beverage. :beard:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-04-2004, 11:32 PM
And for y'all over 21 (meaning if you're a minor, stop reading), try Holiday Spice Pepsi with a half-shot of Captain Morgan's. :)

Sounds like a neat mix. I myself recommend a shot of Amaretto with Coke--kinda taste like a Vanilla Coke with a kick.

Pepsi Blue I had no problem with. Yeah, it looked like Toilet Bowl cleaner but if you ask me, we need more pops that stain your teeth blue. Red Fusion, now the only difference between that and regular Dr. Pepper was the label on the can.

I could never say I liked Mountain Dew or any of it's variations. Does anyone remember Surge? Wasn't that basically MD?

Does anyone remember New York Seltzers? They came in little huggy like bottles and basically were seltzer or tonic water with a hint of flavors like raspberry. Thought they were pretty good.

Anyone here like Vernos? It's sorta like a stronger Ginger Ale flavor soda. It is the only thing I drink when I am sick because it clears the sinuses well.

BTW, in NY it's pop. Soda is technically an ice cream store specialty in where pop, ice cream and flavoring are mixed together.

Slicker
12-05-2004, 12:18 AM
I could never say I liked Mountain Dew or any of it's variations. Does anyone remember Surge? Wasn't that basically MD? How dare you? I thought Surge was utterly disgusting and although many compare it to MD it's nowhere close IMO.

LusiferSam
12-05-2004, 01:52 AM
I could never say I liked Mountain Dew or any of it's variations. Does anyone remember Surge? Wasn't that basically MD?
Coke put out Surge in an effort to compete with Mountain Dew. I have a real problem with caffeine. I meen I get weird on too much of the stuff. One minute I'll be giggling about some off the wall thing like I'm high, the next I'll be in your face looking to pick a fight. Surge was one of those drinks with more caffeine than I could handle. Some friends talked me in to try some at a cook out (knowing full well what would happen). Let's just say night would have interesting if I hadn't had the Surge.

Kidhuman
12-05-2004, 09:48 AM
BTW, in NY it's pop. Soda is technically an ice cream store specialty in where pop, ice cream and flavoring are mixed together.

Ummmm.....

Maybe in the sticks of Upstate NY, but down in the city, its soda.

And yes NY Seltzer was good.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-05-2004, 01:17 PM
I finally had some Holiday Spice Pepsi. It's actually not bad. The cinnamon is very light, sometimes you can't even taste it. Dunno why it had to be dark red. I thought it was gonna be really bad, thankfully I was wrong. :D

JediTricks
12-05-2004, 03:56 PM
Anyone here like Vernos? It's sorta like a stronger Ginger Ale flavor soda. It is the only thing I drink when I am sick because it clears the sinuses well. My dad is a huge fan of Vernors Ginger Soda but I don't like the taste. I did a taste-test last week because all the 1l ginger ales were on sale and I wanted to try 'em all again, bought Vernors, Canada Dry, Schwepps, and Shasta... I liked Shasta the best, then Schwepps, both of which are the clear-colored ginger ales on the national market, the other 2 are brown.

Coke put out Surge in an effort to compete with Mountain Dew. I thought that's why Coke put out Mello Yello. ;) We don't have that here in LA, but when I briefly moved to Phoenix, they had it instead of MD, Mello is a little sweeter than "the Dew".

Lord Malakite
12-06-2004, 10:25 AM
I did a taste-test last week because all the 1l ginger ales were on sale and I wanted to try 'em all again, bought Vernors, Canada Dry, Schwepps, and Shasta... I liked Shasta the best, then Schwepps, both of which are the clear-colored ginger ales on the national market, the other 2 are brown.

Speaking of taste-testing, I went to the mall the other day and got paid to do a study and taste-test a new product. How good is that? :D

Bobby Fett
12-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Speaking of taste-testing, I went to the mall the other day and got paid to do a study and taste-test a new product. How good is that? :D

You were truly blessed! :D

JediTricks
12-06-2004, 09:29 PM
Did they make you go in a little room off in the back area of the mall, where you suspect they beat people into confessing to love reality TV and calling it a nielsen rating?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Ummmm.....

Maybe in the sticks of Upstate NY, but down in the city, its soda.

Hey I once saw a map of Newsweek in where they color coded each region of the U.S. by what they call their carbonated beverages, soda or pop. Bascially there was little congruence anywhere among the regions, but generally soda was popular south of the Mason-Dixon line and pop to the north. Some weird regions in the South (surprise, surprise) don't say "Got any soda?" or "Got any pop" but rather, "Got any Coke?"

Lord Malakite
12-07-2004, 12:56 AM
Did they make you go in a little room off in the back area of the mall, where you suspect they beat people into confessing to love reality TV and calling it a nielsen rating?

Yes, yes they did JT. I didn't suspect any beatings though since the glass door I passed through to get to these back rooms was clearly marked as a product testing agency, though a beating for reality TV would have been a cool bonus. A lot of questions were asked, several forms filled out about taste, etc. of various test formulas for the drink. Ate several crackers and drank water in between each test formula. Then afterwords they asked me about several name choices for this new beverage and what I thought about them. Funny thing is all the names were practically the same with only minor variatons. So if you see a new lemon/lime energy drink by some name along the lines of "Option by PowerAde" you will know that LM has test marketed it. :p

Exhaust Port
12-07-2004, 08:57 AM
Hey I once saw a map of Newsweek in where they color coded each region of the U.S. by what they call their carbonated beverages, soda or pop. Bascially there was little congruence anywhere among the regions, but generally soda was popular south of the Mason-Dixon line and pop to the north. Some weird regions in the South (surprise, surprise) don't say "Got any soda?" or "Got any pop" but rather, "Got any Coke?"

Here ya go.

http://www.popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html

James Boba Fettfield
12-07-2004, 09:44 AM
We're a blue state! Hooray!

Pop is right, soda is wrong. :D

Exhaust Port
12-07-2004, 09:56 AM
I live in a Pop state while most of the relatives are hardcore Soda folks. It leads to numerous "corrections" when I visit. :)

Pop and Soda are understandable but what's the deal with calling all carbonated beverages Coke?

Slicker
12-07-2004, 01:09 PM
I've seen tht map before. That's quite funny how the lines are so distinct between pop and soda states. Except for poor Alaska, they don't what they want to call it.

El Chuxter
12-07-2004, 03:14 PM
As promised for those of you in SoCal:

http://www.sodapopstop.com/

This place truly rocks. It is the only place outside North Carolina where I can feed my Blenheim addiction. :D

Kidhuman
12-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Damn straight, New Yorkers call it Soda. Told ya LBC :p :p :beard:

Rocketboy
12-07-2004, 10:35 PM
Yay Michigan!
POP!

Slicker
12-16-2004, 10:14 PM
I finally tried the Holiday Spice Pepsi last night. I didn't notice any difference except for a very slight after taste. The after taste wasn't bad but if could have been slighttly stronger. Not bad though.

Rocketboy
12-16-2004, 11:31 PM
I finally tried the Holiday Spice Pepsi last night. I didn't notice any difference except for a very slight after taste. The after taste wasn't bad but if could have been slighttly stronger. Not bad though.I tried it too.
It sucked.

Tasted like crappy diet POP without that horrid aftertaste.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-31-2007, 08:21 PM
Ok ok ok, no one I have asked remembers this, so maybe someone here will. Does anyone remember the soda back in the mid 90's called OK Soda?! Anyone? They had really weird commercials, and frankly it tasted less than OK, but am I the only one to remember this?!
I remember the ads for OK Soda (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OK_Soda). I thought they were cool. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to taste it before it disappeared.

I was going to post a link to that soda vs. pop map but saw that someone already had. I grew up with the term pop. When I worked at Wal-Mart, one of my co-workers in the cash office was an older woman from the south and she said they called everything Coke down there. That was the first I had heard of that. I can't recall if I asked her if people down there used the term 'Sebmup'.

Old Fossil
08-31-2007, 11:16 PM
When I worked at Wal-Mart, one of my co-workers in the cash office was an older woman from the south and she said they called everything Coke down there. That was the first I had heard of that. I can't recall if I asked her if people down there used the term 'Sebmup'.

Southerners have, over the last century, learned that there are different kinds of soda with different names, and began correctly identifying them en masse sometime during the Carter administration. Unfortunately, the term "Sebmup" is still ubiquitous, and even the dreadful "Coke Coler" has not completely died out, yet.:stupid:

bigbarada
09-01-2007, 12:51 AM
Has anyone tried that Mountain Dew Game Fuel yet? I didn't like it that much, it tastes like a watered down version of Livewire to me.

Moutain Dew Pitch Black II and Pepsi Blue are probably my all-time favorite flavors of soda, so it's probably a good thing they aren't making them anymore because I would drink them everyday.

Right now the only soda I buy with any sort of frequency is Squirt, I love that stuff.:pleased: Also, any grape flavored soda, I don't care what the brand is.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-01-2007, 02:33 AM
I rarely drink pop. As a kid, mom didn't want us to drink cola, so when we did have soda, it was 7-UP, Sprite or some other lemon-lime drink, or perhaps one of the many flavors of Shasta, Western Family or some other store brand. I too liked grape as a kid. Strawberry or cream soda are good too, and of course I can't forget to mention root beer.

I find the whole cola wars rather silly as they all taste about the same to me. About the only time I drink pop is in restaurants, barbecues or other family gatherings. Thus, I haven't tasted a lot of these different flavors of Coke, Pepsi or Dr. Pepper.

I've been seeing the ad for the Mountain Dew Game Fuel. That sounds kind of silly as well. Squirt is okay, but the name is funny.

JediTricks
09-01-2007, 03:46 AM
I dunno what it is, but lately lemon lime sodas have been copping out again. I was really digging the honest flavor of the new 7-Up but now it's too dry and basically tastes like soda water. Other sodas are following suit, root beer is either too sickly sweet or too carbonated so you can't taste the underlying flavor. And more and more sodas have been losing their appeal after about 6 ounces or so, like someone flicked the "bland" switch at that point. So I've been sticking to hard cider and sour mash mostly. ;) Ok, not really, just water, Trader Joe's apple juice, and Hi-C Orange when I can get it (which is friggin' rare, besides McDonalds of course).

Lord Malakite
09-01-2007, 05:04 AM
Has anyone tried that Mountain Dew Game Fuel yet? I didn't like it that much, it tastes like a watered down version of Livewire to me.
I've tried it finally. You can taste the cherry flavor in Mountain Dew Game Fuel, but it isn't quite as noticible/strong as it is in a straight up cherry flavored pop like say Mountain Dew Code Red for instance. While I think it has its own distinct flavor seperate from the other Dews I've heard some people compare it to regular Mountain Dew and Code Red mixed together and others compare it to Code Red and Mountain Dew Livewire mixed together. I used to mix the various Dew flavors though back when Code Red, etc. were new and I'd have to disagree that Game Fuel taste like either Dew mixture mentioned above.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-01-2007, 12:57 PM
I rarely drink pop. As a kid, mom didn't want us to drink cola, so when we did have soda, it was 7-UP, Sprite or some other lemon-lime drink, or perhaps one of the many flavors of Shasta, Western Family or some other store brand. I too liked grape as a kid. Strawberry or cream soda are good too, and of course I can't forget to mention root beer.

MSP, my parents were the same way. Pop was a luxury in our house. We hardly had it in our refrigerators and in the rare occasion that we did, the soda was slurped up in a matter of minutes (8 family members in the house ensured fast guzzling). As a result, to this very day, out of habit, I'll drink a can of soda in mere minutes.

Does anyone like Stewart's brand of pop? They sell them most everywhere I gather, the Orange Cream, Strawberry Creme, Key Lime, and Cherries and Cream are a treat to drink. The Cracker Barrel restaurant sells them as well. It's like drinking heaven, if heaven could be put in a bottle.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-01-2007, 03:06 PM
That OK Soda stuff reminds me of Jones Soda, which I'm sure has been mentioned in this thread but I don't care to check back. :D Their stuff is great, though the cans are only sold at Target and aren't the best flavors (I've had bottles in gas stations and the like). After reading up on them on Wikipedia, I was reminded of the Halloween flavors, which are always good and will hopefully be back soon. :thumbsup:

Mad Slanted Powers
09-01-2007, 03:47 PM
MSP, my parents were the same way. Pop was a luxury in our house. We hardly had it in our refrigerators and in the rare occasion that we did, the soda was slurped up in a matter of minutes (8 family members in the house ensured fast guzzling). As a result, to this very day, out of habit, I'll drink a can of soda in mere minutes.The thing with me now is I can't drink it too fast or it fills me up. Must be the carbonation. It just leaves a big gas bubble down there or something. This 4th of July, whatever it was I had must have been a little flat, and it didn't seem to have the same effect. Thus, I felt much better.

Beast
09-01-2007, 05:25 PM
That OK Soda stuff reminds me of Jones Soda, which I'm sure has been mentioned in this thread but I don't care to check back. :D Their stuff is great, though the cans are only sold at Target and aren't the best flavors (I've had bottles in gas stations and the like). After reading up on them on Wikipedia, I was reminded of the Halloween flavors, which are always good and will hopefully be back soon. :thumbsup:
Actually, their exclusive deal with Target ended a while ago. They're in Wal-Mart, Meijers, and several other places now as well. So check around. In fact, they just introduced a 1-Liter version that I've seen at Meijers. :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Actually, their exclusive deal with Target ended a while ago. They're in Wal-Mart, Meijers, and several other places now as well. So check around. In fact, they just introduced a 1-Liter version that I've seen at Meijers. :)
Seriously? I don't have any Meijers around here but I'll look at the other stores. Sounds sweet!