PDA

View Full Version : Could General Greivous be what's left of Sypho Dyas?

Tycho
11-28-2004, 08:28 PM
It's just a thought: I have no evidence on this one - but it'd explain his super-fast moves.

Sypho Dyas went Dark Side and helped order the Clones in the Sith Plot, but gets axed by (Dooku?) and is remade into General Greivous?

hango fett
11-28-2004, 09:42 PM
could be...but i'm not even sure lucas will reveal what greivous is in ROTS. it would explain alot....
HF

Slicker
11-28-2004, 09:57 PM
I think Sypho Dyas is just another one of those names that gets mentioned in passing such as Tank and the planet Ord Mantell. I don't read EU so I don't what part he had in that but he's just a passing name, IMO.

DarthChuckMc
11-28-2004, 10:11 PM
It's already been stated that Grievous is a totally NEW character. Sypho was seen onscreen in EP II, but we still don't know WHO it is....my guess is still Dooku posing as him after his death.

Also, in one of the stories coming up, not sure which novel or comic, Dooku trains Grievous how to use a saber....or four ;)

mabudonicus
11-29-2004, 03:10 PM
just a quick question- where is syfo dyas onscreen in E II????
I don't recall seeing him and would like a look :beard:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-29-2004, 06:18 PM
just a quick question- where is syfo dyas onscreen in E II????
I don't recall seeing him and would like a look :beard:
I think he meant it's someone we already know. It's either Dooku or Palpatine, posing as Sifo-Dyas, who they recently killed. I think the real Sifo-Dyas is dead and gone, and Grievous is a totally new character.

The person who ordered the clones will definitely be revealed in ROTS, otherwise AOTC wouldn't make much sense.

Elliejabbapop
11-30-2004, 01:44 PM
The person who ordered the clones will definitely be revealed in ROTS, otherwise AOTC wouldn't make much sense.
I hope George remembers he has to explain all these things.

Battle Droid
11-30-2004, 07:39 PM
It's also been confirmed that Grievous isn't a Force-user.

Tycho
11-30-2004, 11:31 PM
In watching the ROTJ DVD with the commentary, Lucas says that DARTH VADER lost most of his better Force ability because of being mostly machine, thus he is less than the power Anakin might have otherwise become.

Greivous might have lost ALL his Force ability so far as he knows.

I'm not taking a side in this. I'm just making sure all the possibilities are looked at.

A good nerd would do no less.

jedi master sal
12-02-2004, 03:12 PM
I've been saying for sometime that Sidious is Anakin's father. But I also believe he's Sifo Dyas and that the Palpatine is really a clone of Sidious, place in his position so that when the time was right, Sidious could take over.

Since Sidous is known for making clones of himself, it's possible that Sifo Dyas was also a clone. All of these clones have less midi-chlorians than the original. If SifoDyas was a clone, Sidious could have had him remade into Greviousm but strip him of his midi-chlorians. Thusly, Grevious would remember how to lightsaber combat and still be very good at it, just not be able to use the force. Why you ask would Sidious save Sifo Dyas's body to be used for Grevious, simple because this particular clone of himself proved worthy in the cause of the Sith and he wants to keep him around, but now that he is going to reveal himself, he needs to make Sifo less powerful, less he (Sifo) tries to take him (Sidious) out.

(Is that enough nerd-speak for ya, ha ha)
-Sal ;)

Elliejabbapop
12-02-2004, 03:58 PM
(Is that enough nerd-speak for ya, ha ha)
-Sal ;)
Too much:ermm:

LTBasker
12-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Sypho Dyas went Dark Side and helped order the Clones in the Sith Plot, but gets axed by (Dooku?) and is remade into General Greivous?

Could be interesting, maybe Sypho could have even not turned. Could've got really beaten badly in a duel, and they decided to test out robotics on him which could've been a prototype of what they decided to do with Anakin.

Lord_Setnom
12-03-2004, 01:48 AM
I think Sypho Dyas is nothing more than a filler, much like the Bothans in ROTJ. They're not needed for any other purpose than popping up another name for us to make stories up. Now here's a thought. If Grievous is nearly as cool as he seemed in the animated series then he's a really great prototype, and I actually think the guy who desinged him should have been in charge of the Lord Vader project, because his desings were more, well, agile and cool looking, whereas DV looks a bit too "robotic"

Sith Lord 0498
12-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Could be interesting, maybe Sypho could have even not turned. Could've got really beaten badly in a duel, and they decided to test out robotics on him which could've been a prototype of what they decided to do with Anakin.

That's close to what I was thinking. I'm speculating that General Grievious is a cyborg in the vein of Robocop and sort of like a Darth Vader version 1.0. However, I don't think it's Sifo-Dyas in there. I think it may be Darth Maul. Grievious is clearly robotic from the waist down (Darth Maul was severed at the waist), and he has similarly creepy eyes. The different texture of the skin surrounding them could be the result of severe burns. After all, he died inside the palace's reactor core.

Sidious or his agents may have been able to abscond with the severed upper half of Maul shortly after the duel and kept him in a type of stasis while the Grievious designs were worked on.

Of course...it's all speculation at this point...

Lord_Setnom
12-03-2004, 12:10 PM
Heh!!! I was thinking just the same thing!!! I mean there's no way a droid would be that skilled with a lightsaber without some sort of training. And there's the eyes of course... And the skin that might be burnt down. I insist, I'd much rather not have LG and DV connected because after seeing what a cool looking -and moving- cyborg LG is, Darth Vader looks like a beta version.

Tycho
12-03-2004, 12:17 PM
I've read about similarities between Greivous' head shape and that of Geonosians.

Most Geos are hive ants, but some like Poggle are more. It's possible one was born Force-sensitive, or highly skilled. They make droids, so one could design the ultimate droid body for themselves.

The eyes would somewhat match more that way.

Battle Droid
12-03-2004, 05:36 PM
It's been confirmed that Grievous' alien parts are from a new never before seen alien species.

mrpauldeeds
12-05-2004, 04:26 AM
It's been confirmed that Grievous' alien parts are from a new never before seen alien species.

so then grevious could be whats left of darth maul?? we never did find out what the heck he was. we have seen maul though, but the "never seen" thing could be a way to make us think differently. i think that would be cool. i mean maul was a good charector and died way to easily. i hope he makes a come back and is now grevious.

this could be sidious' first attempt at a vader..like sith lord said, a vader 1.0, he could have saved darth maul and put him in a cyborg like suit, a prototype. but when that fails, he takes anakin and makes an even better suit. it makes perfect sense.

Battle Droid
12-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Maul is a Zabrak, just like Agen Kolar & Eeth Koth.

It's also been confirmed that he isn't Maul.

mrpauldeeds
12-05-2004, 09:11 PM
ZABRAK?? lol well thats new to me. well then scratch that. i think it woulda been cool though.

Val Da Car
12-05-2004, 11:04 PM
If you notice the Sith "eye" effect on the following people...

Maul Ep1

Ep3 Trailer shots

Anakin / Darth Sidious

that with a core of the original being that some force ability/skill could be left even in a husk of the cybernettic body.

Tycho
12-06-2004, 06:40 AM
JarJar Binks also has yellow eyes. Could he be Sypho Dyas?

Think about it:

Everyone thinks he's so stupid, no one would suspect him.

Both he and Palpatine are from Naboo. Perhaps JarJar was Darth Sydious' master?

No one knows for sure how long Gungans live.

Plus he doesn't actually have to be a Gungan - he could be a Clawdite shapeshifter in disguise as a Gungan.

Add to that it was JarJar that proposed giving Palpatine emergency powers - could it all have been an even bigger set-up than we think?

Slicker
12-06-2004, 10:19 PM
The really sad part is that you make it sound so convincing. And he can't be Sypho because he's Boba Fett.;)

Val Da Car
12-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Add in Mind control options and you get an easily controlled simpleton (Jar Jar) and no one will ever know.

ronhudy
12-23-2004, 05:34 PM
I think Sypho Dyas is nothing more than a filler, much like the Bothans in ROTJ. They're not needed for any other purpose than popping up another name for us to make stories up. Now here's a thought. If Grievous is nearly as cool as he seemed in the animated series then he's a really great prototype, and I actually think the guy who desinged him should have been in charge of the Lord Vader project, because his desings were more, well, agile and cool looking, whereas DV looks a bit too "robotic"

That's an interesting thought, but let's not forget Darth Vader and General Greivous weren't REALLY designed a "long time ago in a galaxy far, far away". General Greivous was designed in 2003/2004, and Darth Vader was designed in 1976/1977. And in 1977, Darth Vader DID look cool compared to prior sci-fi villians...

Beast
12-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Some possible info on General Grevious. Note that this is supposedly coming via Lucasfilm, but feel free to take it with a massive grain of salt.

General Greivous and his race (who's name i don't know), were involved in a war with a race called the Huk. The Huk's were in good standing with the Republic, probably moreso because their planet was rich with valuable ores and minerals than any other reason. Fifty or so jedi Knights were dispatched to conduct "aggressive negotiations" with Grevious' race and they lost the war and were given severe trade restrictions and penalties. They were severely ****ed off they left the republic and gladly joined the seperatists and the banking clan opened up new trade and revenue to them. Greievous apparently made a name for himself in the war by being a super-tactition and great warrior. He was approached by sidious to join his cause: the destruction of the jedi, however Greivous turned him down. Apparently none too interested in serving the sith. So sidious had a shuttle flight grievous was on sabotaged and the ship crashed, leaving Greovous mortally wounded. He was saved by being put into a cybernetic body,and sidious framed the jedi for the crash, gaining Greivous' allegiance. Setting up a similar relationship to the whole Palpatine/Vader thing.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
12-24-2004, 03:10 AM
I like what JarJar wrote. That works for me.

Croaker
01-11-2005, 06:53 AM
I thought it was pretty clear who Sifo-Dyas was from AOTC

We know:
There was a jedi named Sifo Dyas who died about 10 years ago.
(Obi wan has heard of him and knows that he's dead, the council know it was 10 years ago)

Around that time someone named Sifo Dyas (or pretending to be him) shows up hires a Bounty Hunter and hires Lama Su et al. to make a clone army out of him.

So Obi wan goes and asks the Bounty Hunter (Fett) who hired him.
He says - I don't know this Dyas person but I was hired by Tyrannus.

Then at the end of the film we find out that Tyrranus is Dooku's Sith name

So Sifo Dyas died just after the events of Ep1 (either through foul play or not) and Dooku hires a bounty Hunter and passes himself off as Dyas to get the clone army made (under the orders of Sidious).

Sith Lord 0498
01-11-2005, 12:23 PM
I thought it was pretty clear who Sifo-Dyas was from AOTC

We know:
There was a jedi named Sifo Dyas who died about 10 years ago.
(Obi wan has heard of him and knows that he's dead, the council know it was 10 years ago)

Around that time someone named Sifo Dyas (or pretending to be him) shows up hires a Bounty Hunter and hires Lama Su et al. to make a clone army out of him.

So Obi wan goes and asks the Bounty Hunter (Fett) who hired him.
He says - I don't know this Dyas person but I was hired by Tyrannus.

Then at the end of the film we find out that Tyrranus is Dooku's Sith name

So Sifo Dyas died just after the events of Ep1 (either through foul play or not) and Dooku hires a bounty Hunter and passes himself off as Dyas to get the clone army made (under the orders of Sidious).

That's what I had thought for a long time too, but there's just one thing that bothers me about that theory. Nearly every type of major communication in the films has been via hologram. Wouldn't the Kaminoans recognize Dooku during the Clone Wars?

Tycho
01-11-2005, 01:52 PM
Dooku might not have shown his face during holo-transmission, or even wore a hood like Palpatine does.

Or Palpatine could have called the Kaminoans. A shrouded character who you can't see a face on doesn't have to be recognized as a Sith. Obi-Wan transmits this way, standing in the rain on Kamino.

But the Kaminoans are all about the money. If they were paid - I mean heck - Amazon.com sends you SW figures and they've never met you in person.

If you order from Ent. Earth and offer to have someone in LA pick them up instead of paying shipping charges, same thing. All they need is to know some guy named Jango is going to show up to pay (or donate DNA) whatever, and they are going to make an army. It's paid for. A Jedi will come and pick them up.

Sith Lord 0498
01-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Dooku might not have shown his face during holo-transmission, or even wore a hood like Palpatine does.

Or Palpatine could have called the Kaminoans. A shrouded character who you can't see a face on doesn't have to be recognized as a Sith. Obi-Wan transmits this way, standing in the rain on Kamino.

But the Kaminoans are all about the money. If they were paid - I mean heck - Amazon.com sends you SW figures and they've never met you in person.

If you order from Ent. Earth and offer to have someone in LA pick them up instead of paying shipping charges, same thing. All they need is to know some guy named Jango is going to show up to pay (or donate DNA) whatever, and they are going to make an army. It's paid for. A Jedi will come and pick them up.

I was in a hurry earlier and didn't have time to present my theory in my post, but I was thinking Palpatine in Sith regalia as well. While the Kaminoans are all about the money, an order of this size and importance couldn't just have been made by leaving a message on the answering machine. I'm sure they would've insisted on a face-to-face interaction. Maybe not in-person but holographic for sure.

Guess we'll find out in just over four months...