PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Hasbro's Ep III:ROTS packaging?

JediTricks
11-29-2004, 08:54 PM
By now you've probably seen the packaging for Hasbro's Ep III action figures, but if not, here's a look:
http://sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=30766

There seems to be a lot of collectors who feel that Hasbro is out to get them with their upcoming Episode III: Revenge of the Sith packaging, the card is possibly the most die-cut ever (not counting the late '90s EU figure cards with their pop-up mini-scenes inside), the graphics are a sharp departure from any previous Star Wars packaging, and the bubble is another full-card, and now, *gasp* rounded. Others see this merely as a new step in the ever-changing chronicle of Star Wars collecting.

So what's your take on the Hasbro Ep 3 packaging, is it the bee's knees or the end of civilization as we know it? Vote now and speak your mind.

Kidhuman
11-29-2004, 08:57 PM
I voted its not that good. Granted I have only seen pics of it, but I dont like the figure bubble shape. Looks like something Hot Wheels specials are packed in. I just wish they would go back to the POTF2 days of nuetral posed figures, give them more articulation and package the normally.

Slicker
11-29-2004, 09:26 PM
I also didn't think it was that good. It's too big and bulky and too flashy for Hasbro, IMO. Having such big blisters doesn't make for easy packing in tubs either. I'll be moving around quite a bit for the next few years so I'll have to store them away. I may change my mind at Midnight Madness though.

Rocketboy
11-29-2004, 10:09 PM
I like it and I don't like it.
Great image/design, but it's a bit cluttered (from what i can see).
And it doesn't really look like a Star Wars toy, compared to the other cards they've had.
The bubble doesn't bother me because I rip them suckers open.

stillakid
11-29-2004, 10:52 PM
I love it! I wonder if the movie will be this good? :rolleyes:

No, really, I love the packaging. A good "fresh look" to break up the monotony of what we've come to expect Star Wars figure packaging to look like. And as long as they keep the whole twisty tie thing to a minimum, I'll be happy with whatever.

plasticfetish
11-30-2004, 02:38 AM
Not having seen them in person, it's hard to say, but I voted that they're "OK, not bad."

Really, I think the design seems good, and it is kind of cool to see something totally different at this point. Just the same though, I'm wondering from a collectors POV if we'll have an incredibly hard time finding these in great shape on the pegs. I've a hard enough time finding carded figures with no scratches, scuffs or dents as is -- when it comes to these, I can only imagine that we'll see a lot of crushed bubbles.

Forget being able to buy a protective case for them.

steeltormentor69
11-30-2004, 06:09 AM
I HATE IT !!!!! I'm a packaged collector and what's even worse is that I'm a completist. So someone, I don't even care if they're round, but someone better be making some star cases that fit these freakin' things, that's all I gotta say!!!!! I've got about 700 packaged figures, 200 hanging on the walls in Star Cases and another 500 in the beautiful snaptoppers rubbermaid 45 qt tubs. POTF2 - EP1 fit nicely. I don't need no bulky ROUND things taking more space than they deserve. Just fortunately for me most of all the ones on the walls are saga - OTC and VOTC, animated clone wars and some other special ones that need to be displayed. Thanks Hasbro for the lovely wrench thrown in my plans.

OC47150
11-30-2004, 07:22 AM
I voted 'neutral.' I want to physically see one before I pass judgment. Regardless, the packaging won't stop me from buying them.

dindae
11-30-2004, 07:33 AM
Even though I collect on card figures as well as loose I could care less what they come in. The fact that they will take up more space then others before is really my only complaint. Even the VOTC packaging got old to me so in the end it doesn't matter.

LusiferSam
11-30-2004, 10:45 AM
I'm not overly impressed. The art work is kind of cool, but not really. It has more the feel of the preproduction art work. And I'm not sure I like the bubbles. I really like the style of olds, that's just how SW figure come (came). If I did have cart or basket I could easily stack a bunch up, no problem. But more than about three of these thing and I'd need a cart.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-30-2004, 04:18 PM
I voted neutral as I will be ripping these puppies open and the packaging will end up in the recycle bin. However, it will be strange when walking down the toy aisle looking for the more familiar star wars packaging and coming upon this. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it does look alot like most other action figure packaging out there.

Ji'dai
11-30-2004, 05:04 PM
Right now, I think the packaging is fantastic. By this time next year I'll be tired of looking at it. I share the potential aggravation of storing these figures MOC, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. The packaging change does not justify the price increase though. I'd buy figures in generic B&W packaging or stuffed in little white boxes if it meant lower prices.

03springfield
11-30-2004, 05:24 PM
I voted: hated it.

I see these being a hassle for collectors of mint packaging. Whole lot of bubble to crunch during shipment or repeated crash landings on retail floors when the pegs are packed.
They don't look too easy to stack and bring to the register either.

HomeLights
11-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Hated it.

Wished they never changed it from the ESB/ROTJ days...

mrpauldeeds
11-30-2004, 06:02 PM
by kidhuman

I voted its not that good. Granted I have only seen pics of it, but I dont like the figure bubble shape. Looks like something Hot Wheels specials are packed in. I just wish they would go back to the POTF2 days of nuetral posed figures, give them more articulation and package the normally.

Ditto. and the new packages look too cartoony. and the fact it looks like a ..... makes it unappealing also.:ermm:

JediTricks
11-30-2004, 08:54 PM
I voted for "Not that Good" and am surprised to see over half the voters so far have said it's worse than that! As for waiting to judge, I get the feeling this packaging is going to hold no surprises for me, maybe if the bubble is thicker and tougher, that'd be the only possible chance I can foresee for any new info beyond what we're seeing. The star-case users are hopefully going to find that these are the same dimensions and will hold in a modern case even though the upper half is die-cut, but I can't be sure of that.

mastermatt24
11-30-2004, 08:57 PM
I could understand a 50 price increase for better articulation, but more money for crappy packaging? I laughed when I saw the poll results and I hope Hasblow takes a look at it. I hope they lower the price.. I dont know how they hope to sell more figures with better packaging when they cost 2$ more..

thomasandrea-call
12-01-2004, 10:05 AM
I love it! I wonder if the movie will be this good? :rolleyes:

No, really, I love the packaging. A good "fresh look" to break up the monotony of what we've come to expect Star Wars figure packaging to look like. And as long as they keep the whole twisty tie thing to a minimum, I'll be happy with whatever.
I agree, It is a nice change from what we have come to expect. It is colorful and fresh and very pleasing.

Bacta Beast
12-01-2004, 02:20 PM
I just don't like it. I would love to see some kind of continued variation of the OTC packaging!

El Chuxter
12-01-2004, 02:31 PM
I'm in a minority here, but I really dig it. The only two drawbacks I can see are the fact that the bubble covers a lot of that funky artwork, and that the cards mention "action features." :eek: I guess that second one's not really a packaging issue per se, though.

stillakid
12-01-2004, 10:43 PM
I agree, It is a nice change from what we have come to expect. It is colorful and fresh and very pleasing.

With half the fat of regular packaging. :D

;)

(Also, your username intrigues me. I'm dying to find out what it's all about!)

Astromech
12-02-2004, 03:28 AM
I'm going neutral on this one for a couple of reasons.

Reasons I'm OK with it
1. It's only going to be a few months before another line with a new look is released. You never have to endure something you don't like too long with SW (ie - POTF packaging for me, or anything Jar-Jar).
2. It's creative and new. With the times. Ties into the DV theme and I dig DV.
3. You don't have to remove them to have them posed. Unposed characters are boring (OK so I'm an Unleashed fan)

Reasons I am NOT OK with it:
1. Bad for storage for collectors like me.
2. Bad for pegging (ie less on the pegs at store) also that big round bubble is just begging for a scratch, scuff or dent.
3. No Star Cases, but that will change.

Who knows, maybe these will become the next cool thing it 10 years. But I personally have always liked the Kenner look the best.

:neutral:

Hellboy
12-03-2004, 06:32 PM
I voted "not that good." This new design is making me seriously consider whether I'll continue to collect an extra figure carded. Finding these MOC will probably be extremely difficult and displaying them on my walls with the rest of my carded collection seems unrealistic due to the amount of space these will demand. I like the main focus to be on the figure itself and with this new design your lucky if you can even see the figure and their accessories buried in all those flashy graphics. Way to busy for my tastes. :dis:

JediTricks
12-03-2004, 08:35 PM
Good points. I also have been thinking about how much I really want to pick these up, the packaging turns me off.

Bobby Fett
12-03-2004, 09:09 PM
I'm reserving judgment. I'm not real crazy about the photos, but they may look better in real life.

If the bubbles are easily damaged, that'll put some of the fun back into searching for superior specimens. ;)

Kidhuman
12-03-2004, 09:27 PM
If the bubbles are easily damaged, that'll put some of the fun back into searching for superior specimens. ;)

I think it would lead to frustration of not being able to find a good decent bubble. I htihk people will start ordering cases or becoming openers if this happens.

dr_evazan22
12-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Not that good. To go from the OTC to that ... Well, what can I say, it is what it is. I don't like the shape of the bubble.