PDA

View Full Version : Walk The Line (Johnny Cash)

James Boba Fettfield
12-01-2004, 03:46 PM
Johnny Cash, the Man in Black, is the subject of Twentieth Century Fox's upcoming biopic Walk the Line, starring Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon as Cash and his wife, June Carter. At age 23, Cash already possessed a social acuteness and emotional honesty drawn, in large part, from his days toiling in the cotton fields of Arkansas, working in an auto factory, and serving in the air force—all of which led him to compose one of his first songs, "Folsom Prison Blues," in 1953. Cash, whose career eventually spanned almost five decades, died last year at age 71. Here, we present an exclusive look at Phoenix, Witherspoon, and the cast of James Mangold's big-screen feature, due out April 2005.

http://www.vanityfair.com/features/outtakes/041109feou

Follow the link to look at the pictures of Joaquin and Reese as Johnny and June.

I was not even aware such a movie was being made. I wonder how much of his life this movie will span. Well, I think Phoenix looks like a good young Cash. Shame on those of you who knew about this movie and did not post about it earlier! Shame!

Slicker
12-01-2004, 04:28 PM
Right when I read the name Joaquin I could instantly picture Johnny. Not to be offensive but it's gotta be the upper lip. Let's hope it rides the same success as "Ray".

El Chuxter
12-01-2004, 05:37 PM
I'd heard vague rumors of a Cash biopic, but nothing I thought definite enough to post. (After all, how many years now have I been hearing vague rumors of a Janis Joplin biopic?)

Joaquin definitely looks (at least close enough to) the part, and he's a fine actor, but what about the voice? Are they going to get Randy Travis or James Earl Jones to dub over him?

And will he have the gumption to shoot a man in Reno just to watch him die? That's a tall order.

Reese Witherspoon as June, though. Ugh. Excuse me while I vomit. I detest that bimbo.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-03-2005, 01:24 PM
QT finally got the trailer after weeks of Yahoo movies having it. Looks DAMN fine to me. Phoenix REALLY pulled off Cash and I give him massive props.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/walk_the_line/

I love the line: "Mr. Cash, refrain from singing any songs that remind the inmates they're in prison."

"you think they forgot?"

cheerio. :D

Elliejabbapop
09-06-2005, 02:57 PM
I've always loved Joaquin Phoenix, I think he'll have no problem in pulling it off, and he makes an interesting odd couple with Reese Witherspoon. :)

Slicker
09-06-2005, 06:39 PM
I saw the trailer before Brother's Grimm and I too was impressed with Phoenix' perfomance. He's a dead ringer for Cash and this will probably be a movie that I'll see.

2-1B
11-09-2005, 12:38 PM
I saw the trailer again and I think it looks alright. I'm sure I'll go see it.

Chux, why the contempt for Reese ? I think she's awesome. :cool:

James Boba Fettfield
11-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Chux, why the contempt for Reese ? I think she's awesome. :cool:

You and the Long D--- should bring back the Reese 'tar from long ago. I think they mirrored each other.

2-1B
11-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Ahhhhh yes, I remember those. :love:

Last weekend when I went to Saw II, they had a pile of Walk the Line promo posters outside the room and I was going to grab a stack on my way out but I forgot. :(

plasticfetish
11-09-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm really hoping that this one turns out to be good. The trailer looks great and I've had my fingers crossed about Joaquin Phoenix... I mean Cash picked him to do the part.

If this one ends up sucking, I'll be really p***ed off. I've been a huge Johnny Cash fan for years. I'll be there on opening day to see it -- if it's great I'll be happy. Cash deserves a great bio film.

(A side note, the vintage clothing store that I worked at for a while provided a bunch of clothing to the film. Can't wait to see what people are wearing also.)

scruffziller
11-13-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm really hoping that this one turns out to be good. The trailer looks great and I've had my fingers crossed about Joaquin Phoenix... I mean Cash picked him to do the part.

If this one ends up sucking, I'll be really p***ed off. I've been a huge Johnny Cash fan for years. I'll be there on opening day to see it -- if it's great I'll be happy. Cash deserves a great bio film.

(A side note, the vintage clothing store that I worked at for a while provided a bunch of clothing to the film. Can't wait to see what people are wearing also.)

It doesn't look like it will suck.

El Chuxter
11-13-2005, 10:17 PM
Just saw some clips on Ebert and Roeper, and this looks like it will do the Man in Black justice.

They gave it two thumbs way up and said Joaquin does a better job than Jamie Foxx did in Ray. That's a pretty strong statement, since Foxx was incredible as the late Brother Ray.

2-1B
11-20-2005, 05:43 PM
I liked the movie, it was pretty good and the casting was well done. The Oscar hype is kind of annoying but since the comparisons are being made to Ray, I'll say I think this movie is just as good as Ray. Both are very good films. :)

2-1B
11-26-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm surprised nobody else has posted on this movie yet.

I bought the CD soundtrack yesterday. Good stuff.

El Chuxter
11-26-2005, 12:38 PM
I've not been able to get out to see it yet, and I've been informed that when we do get to the theater, Harry Potter is a higher priority. (I'm worried about Mrs Chuxter's mortal soul for making that decision. :D)

Is the soundtrack all covers by Joaquin and Reese? And what songs are on it? Yeah, I'm being lazy, but curious if it's worth picking up considering I probably have all the originals.

2-1B
11-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Harry Potter before this? :( Let the Mrs. go see HP And you can duck over to see JC. :D

Yes Chux, original cast recordings but not just JP and RW, it's also got a few other contributions from the guys who played Jerry Lee Lewis and Roy Orbison, and Shooter Jennings does one of his old man's tunes. And also the Elvis guy has 2 tracks I believe, including Milk Cow Blues.

plasticfetish
11-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I haven't seen it yet either. With the holiday, etc. I haven't been able find an afternoon when the wife and I can sneak out to go see it. :sad: Everyone keeps telling me how great it is though...

2-1B
11-26-2005, 05:08 PM
And also the Elvis guy has 2 tracks I believe, including Milk Cow Blues.

The other one is That's Alright Mama (I couldn't recall it before).

And there's also Phoenix and Reese dueting on that one Dylan tune that they also did in the movie, but now I can't think of the name of that song. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-26-2005, 09:47 PM
I caught the flick last night and thought it was tremendous! Phoenix did a great job as Cash; there were times that I forgot i was watching Joaquin and thought it was actually Johnny up there on the screen. Reese also did a great job as June too. She really showed the prescence and humor that June Carter brought to the stage. The chemistry between the two of them was wonderful as well. Awesome flick!!

El Chuxter
12-05-2005, 12:34 AM
I saw this today, and it's truly a great film. This year, only Batman Begins comes close. And, yes, I do realize this is a Star Wars forum, and Revenge of the Sith was a fun ride (I finally admitted that), but it's not a great film like Walk the Line. This was even better than Ray, and that's saying a whole lot.

Joaquin Phoenix definitely deserves the Best Actor Oscar. Forget the normal procedure. Just give that man a statue now. Hell, he probably deserves some Grammys, too. His rendition of "Cocaine Blues" is one of the best imitations of the real deal that I've ever heard.

Reese Witherspoon, well, this is the first film she's been in for a long time where I didn't want to kick her. That's a testament to what a great job she did.

I especially liked cameos by Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Waylon Jennings that didn't seem forced and weren't overdone. I also thought everyone did a great job of touching on details that would be familiar to Cash's fans, but didn't spell everything out for those who weren't. If you know the backstory, it enriches the film, but it certainly isn't a requirement.

I didn't at all expect to hear Blind Willie Johnson (one of my favorite guitarists of all time) in the movie, but I heard the unmistakable slide of "Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground" a few times. Sadly, the song isn't on the soundtrack, so I'll have to recommend everyone pick up a CD or two (which would be the complete recordings :)) of Mr Johnson.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-16-2006, 10:23 PM
booya, baby!! Not only did Joaquin and Reese pick up Golden Globes for the flick tonight, but the movie also won for "Best picture (musical or comedy)." Fantastic!!

also, according to DVD afcionando (sp?), the flick is due out on DVD March 7th!! :crazed:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-10-2006, 02:54 AM
It seems the DVD has been pushed up to Feb 28th! booya!!

Here are pics of both the standard release and the DELUXE edition (special features TBA). That special edition looks FANTASTIC.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/walk-the-line.html

Let's hope that Joaquin and Reese both take home an oscar as the film itself was snubbed. So angry! :upset:

James Boba Fettfield
02-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Let's hope that Joaquin and Reese both take home an oscar as the film itself was snubbed. So angry! :upset:

Philip Seymour Hoffman has something to say 'bout that best actor oscar.

2-1B
02-13-2006, 12:57 AM
As awesome as Phoenix was in WTL, I'm pulling for Heath Ledger to win. I haven't seen Capote yet, but I want to.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-13-2006, 02:34 AM
Philip Seymour Hoffman has something to say 'bout that best actor oscar.

Yeah, i think he's the only other one who has a shot at the Oscar. I saw "Capote" and adored it. As an English student, not only was it pretty much necessary to see it, but it's CRUCIAL to see it being a writer. The man wrote so well that every aspiring writer needs to see it. The score is great too.

but yeah, i'll be happy if either one of them gets it. :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-15-2006, 12:30 AM
DVDactive posted specs on both versions:
The single-disc edition will include a director audio commentary, ten deleted scenes, and trailers. The two-disc special edition will include all of that, along with three extended music videos, a Passion of MIB featurette and a Walk The Line Comeback featurette.

can't wait for the 28th! :crazed:

El Chuxter
03-03-2006, 10:07 AM
I finally picked up the soundtrack at Target this week. Does anyone know if a follow-up volume is planned? There's a lot more music in that film that wouldn't be bad to listen to in the car.

2-1B
03-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Sorry Chux, I don't know about a follow up (but I hope so) however I've been meaning to correct myself from many months ago when I said that Milk Cow Blues wasn't the same tune that Aerosmith did, they are the same just arranged differently, I believe. :)

El Chuxter
03-03-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm surprised that the Blind Willie Johnson tune they used as background music in so many of the flashback scenes wasn't on the CD.

And I'd like that version of "Long-Legged Guitar Pickin' Man" from the end credits. I don't know who that was, since it didn't sound nothin' like the rest of the music in the movie, but it was a cool cover. :crazed:

Anyway, figured I'd ask since a follow-up CD for Ray came out around the time of the DVD.

JimJamBonds
03-03-2006, 12:32 PM
My take is the couple singing over the end credits are the real deal.

El Chuxter
03-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Yah, I was being undt smart-aleck. I've actually already got that version of the song on two different albums.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-09-2008, 07:13 AM
A new "extended cut" with 17 minutes more footage is due out in late Feb. http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/walk-the-line6.html

Good thing I bought that expensive 2 disc edition a few years back. :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
01-09-2008, 11:44 AM
So... there's a format war, prices on discs drop to a fraction of the cost within a month or two, and there's endless double-dipping on movies that we've already gotten two or three times.

Explain to me again why the studios are baffled that sales are down?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-09-2008, 06:12 PM
It's 'cause Walk Hard is a much better biopic.