PDA

View Full Version : ROTS: Artoo (and the "damage" pack-in) **SPOILER?**

JEDIpartner
12-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Well... GH has posted pics of the new Artoo. He is forever stuck in three-leg mode. The middle leg appears to be a spring-loaded button of some sort. Not sure about that though.

There are rockets on his legs and those are, thankfully, removable this time around. There is also some sort of "arm" that attaches to the top of his dome and is used for grabbing the pile of damaged droid parts that comes with him. In the droid parts you can see, there is a protocol droid head and a super battle droid midsection. There may be some other things there, but the protocol droid head is what intrigued me the most.

So... we can possibly determine a couple things based off of this figure.

1) Artoo uses his rockets in ROTS.
2) Artoo has another appendage inexplicably housed within his dome.
3) Threepio gets blown to bits at some point during the film (let's hope that it was just a generic protocol droid and not our beloved golden boy).

Oh... Artoo is also packed with some sort of base or ramp of sorts.

Droid
12-02-2004, 10:05 AM
I avoid spoilers, but here is my hypothesis. 3-P0 will be blown to bits, R2 will rebuild him, but 3-P0 will not remember any of the events of the prequels, including life on Tatooine.

Also, I really, really hope R2's stupid rockets get blown off of him so that he CAN NOT fly ever again. In the times of the Rebellion they don't ever have the resources or time to make the little droid regain his ridiculous flying abilities.

JEDIpartner
12-02-2004, 03:54 PM
I don't like the flying Artoo thing. It seems like the whole bit of it is now overused. The only thing I will accept will be a little moment where his jets give out and that will be the end of it!

You really think Threepio is gonna bite it?

Droid
12-02-2004, 04:30 PM
I hate R2 flying. If he can fly, why didn't he fly across Tatooine in A New Hope? Why didn't he fly from the X-wing to shore on Dagobah in Empire? Why didn't he gently glide from the skiff to the Tatooine sand in Jedi? No, the R2 of the original trilogy can't fly and I would like that addressed in Revenge of the Sith. The little rockets must be destroyed or removed!

I don't think 3P0 will "die". I do think that he is going to either be so damaged his memory circuits of the events of the prequels will be destroyed or that he will get a memory wipe or something. It is the only way to have 3P0's dialogue in A New Hope make sense.

"My first job was working on binary loadlifters" rather than "my first job was working right over there ... for you."

Bacta Beast
12-02-2004, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE] It is the only way to have 3P0's dialogue in A New Hope make sense.[QUOTE]

I always thought a mind wipe was a plausible explanation.

Kidhuman
12-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Well, 3PO gets blown up....go figure.

Droid, I was always wondering abouyt 3PO, and I had asked the question in a prior thread and I believe it was JT who said 3PO had a memory wipe. I dont think him getting blown to pieces would cause him to lose his memory, because when he gets his head attatched in ESB, he says "Stormtroopers here, Oh no....". WHy wouldnt he lose his memory there?

JEDIpartner
12-03-2004, 09:24 AM
Exactly. So... if that IS, indeed, Threepio, he's got some nasty crap happening to him in this film. Poor guy. :(

But, yeah... I think a memory wipe is the only plausible explanation. And, just for what it's worth, INSIDER showed a picture of Artoo zapping something or getting zapped and it looked like it was aboard the bridge of a ship, possibly the Tantive IV.

Droid
12-03-2004, 10:20 AM
I'm not saying 3P0 gets his head just knocked off like in Empire. I'm suggesting maybe 3P0 gets severe head trauma, actual parts destroyed, maybe part of the circuits fried.

aceguide
12-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Nice eye. I had not notice the protocol droid head in there.

Memory wipe, severe head traum - whatever - it is clear that his lack of memory will have to be explained. It does beg a question about the little fella R2. Does his memory get wiped? Old Ben Kenobi's will need to get wiped eventually too...

Kidhuman
12-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Old ben gets a permanent meory wipe and then gets mopped up off of the DS1 floor.

Droid
12-03-2004, 11:30 AM
It does beg a question about the little fella R2. Does his memory get wiped? Old Ben Kenobi's will need to get wiped eventually too...

I think that R2 remembers everything. At least about R2, Ben didn't lie. He has never owned R2. And his contact with R2 in the prequels has been very limited. R2 was just a droid on the Queen's starship in the Phantom Menace and he had virtually no contact with R2 at all in AOTC.

I have been pleased so far R2 and Yoda aren't in any scenes together so R2's reaction to Yoda on Dagobah in Empire still makes sense.

The real interesting question for me (and I avoid spoilers so I'd rather someone didn't just tell me the answer) will be whether R2 knows Anakin becomes Vader and whether he will know Luke and Leia are Padme and Anakin's children. That would make me wonder whether someone will program R2 to keep his mouth shut or if in the Original Trilogy R2 only gave information out on a "need to know" basis. Maybe in A New Hope and Empire R2 didn't think Luke could handle the truth anymore than Ben did.

I'd be interested to know if R2 could see or hear Ben on Dagobah in Jedi.

Interesting also on the "claims to be the property of Obi-wan Kenobi" and "I don't recall ever owning a droid" lines. Even in A New Hope, without any prequel backstory, someone has it wrong. My guess is Leia programmed R2 to seek out Obi-Wan and use that story to find him much as in the Expanded Universe 3P0 knew who Leia was ("no escape for the Princess this time") but acted like he didn't know who she was to Luke ("a person of some importance I believe"). 3P0 was programmed to not to reveal Leia's link to the Rebellion.

JEDIpartner
12-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Well, it appears our little friend is aboard the Tantive IV with Threepio at some point during the film. I'm guessing it is toward the end as Yoda, Organa and Kenobi are aboard as well. So... Artoo must surely have had a memory wipe as he doesn't seem to recall Yoda in ESB.

I have a feeling that the droids, upon reaching Alderaan, will be ushered away by a command from Bail Organa. I'm hearing "Take these two droids away and have their memories wiped. The have imformation that may be dangerous to the well being of the child we have aboard as well as another." I don't think we will actually see their memory wipe on-screen, but that will be the last we see of the droids in the movie... unless there is one final scene after they are returned to the Royal House. *shrug*

tgr3328
12-03-2004, 12:35 PM
As far as the littles jets on R2's legs, when www.holonetnews.com actually had stories, right before EP2, the was one article about problems with the jets on astromech droids. The will probably stop puting them on new droids and making replacement parts for old droids. No doubt, there will be a massive recall and the jets will have to be removed from all the droids.

JEDIpartner
12-03-2004, 01:40 PM
That's EU but it works for me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-03-2004, 06:37 PM
In the Insider, in the caption, it says R2 is doing the zapping on the Trade Federation ship. There's a battle droid and Obi-Wan right behind him. Looks like all his parts are out/opened, too.

It could be C-3PO, he's already been decapitated in ESB and AOTC and that didn't mess him up too much. I doubt that if he gets blown apart he'll lose his memory, it'll likely happen how JP described above.

The figure looks cool, though!

JEDIpartner
12-08-2004, 09:22 AM
Yeah, that was it... it was on the Trade Federation battlecruiser that Artoo's "attacking". But, yeah... the droids, Obi-Wan and Yoda are on the Tantive IV together.