PDA

View Full Version : New Episode I DVD?

Pendo
12-02-2004, 10:55 AM
This DVD Feature (http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/e8ea0df3a881175480256d58003cb570/a8a06da22554b7d380256f5b0039f2c7?OpenDocument) has just been rated over at the BBFC:
BEHIND THE SCENES - STAR WARS EPISODE 1: THE PHANTOM MENACE
DVD additional material
Classified 26 November, 2004

Anyone have any ideas on what this is? A new feature for an upcoming Episode I DVD?

PENDO!

Kidhuman
12-02-2004, 12:35 PM
I guess it might be for a boxed set after ROTS comes out.

Droid
12-02-2004, 01:05 PM
I think Lucas will change Episode I further. Always have. We'll buy it. Why wouldn't he change it?

El Chuxter
12-02-2004, 02:08 PM
He's already said he's going to. I'm not sure about the extent of the changes, but I've heard from many sources that additional scenes for TPM and the OT (as well as the first scenes for ROTS) were filmed during the filming of AOTC. I guess we know now what the OT scene was, but unless he's throwing Jimmy Smits into the Senate (which would again completely disrupt the EU, since the Holonet News reported that Bail Antilles and Bail Organa were different people), I have no idea what they could be.

There's also been a lot of confirmation of the long-rumored Archival Editions from those involved, but not official word yet. John Williams saying in a couple of interviews that he was asked to re-score ANH is pretty solid proof in my book, though.

Droid
12-02-2004, 02:39 PM
I think he will at a minimum make Yoda completely CGI in the Phantom Menace so it is consistent throughout the prequels. I also think that I remember Lucas saying Yoda didn't look right in the Phantom Menace.

I also wonder if they'll get rid of the midichlorian talk. Lucas dropped that like a stone in Attack of the Clones.

I also wish for both the Phantom Menace and a New Hope they would dub in some rearranged Jabba dialogue from Jedi so that Jabba sounded even remotely the same from movie to movie.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-02-2004, 04:07 PM
He's already said he's going to. I'm not sure about the extent of the changes, but I've heard from many sources that additional scenes for TPM and the OT (as well as the first scenes for ROTS) were filmed during the filming of AOTC. I guess we know now what the OT scene was, but unless he's throwing Jimmy Smits into the Senate (which would again completely disrupt the EU, since the Holonet News reported that Bail Antilles and Bail Organa were different people), I have no idea what they could be.

There's also been a lot of confirmation of the long-rumored Archival Editions from those involved, but not official word yet. John Williams saying in a couple of interviews that he was asked to re-score ANH is pretty solid proof in my book, though.
Why would that mess it up? Of course they're two different people, nobody said Jimmy Smits would be playing Bail Antilles. We can assume they're both senators, since Organa is obviously one and Antilles is mentioned in TPM. I never thought they were the same guy.

I'd like to see Yoda re-done as well. However there's not really anything to suggest a new DVD on there.

2-1B
01-21-2008, 08:13 PM
It's for the upcoming Archival Editions.

JEDIpartner
02-04-2008, 11:27 AM
...which Lucas said he's not releasing until the BluRay/HD-DVD war has ended.

Rocketboy
02-04-2008, 11:31 AM
...which apparently is pretty much over.

Jargo
02-04-2008, 11:40 AM
And I won't be buying a single bluray disk until the price drops more than significantly.

JEDIpartner
02-04-2008, 11:42 AM
...which apparently is pretty much over.

Sorta, except that it's not. Until all of the studios embrace one format, it's not over. There was a huge radio article on NPR about this last week.

El Chuxter
02-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Toshiba poured a lot of money into an HD-DVD ad during the Super Bowl. Apparently, the war is over, and everyone but Toshiba knows it.

And Lucas, who will finally extract his head from his anus in later 2016 and decide to give us Star Wars on HD-DVD.

Rocketboy
02-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Sorta, except that it's not. Until all of the studios embrace one format, it's not over. There was a huge radio article on NPR about this last week.Aren't like 70% of the major studios Blu-Ray exclusive now?

Beast
02-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Aren't like 70% of the major studios Blu-Ray exclusive now?
More than 70%. That's why HD-DVD players are being clearenced out.

The format war is over. Blu-Ray has won. HD-DVD is just clinging.

JEDIpartner
02-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Pretty much but a lot of things are not coming out due to some third format that some studios are now going to. When I heard that, I was like, "You people really are stupid, aren't you?"

Jedi_Kal-El
02-04-2008, 03:26 PM
And I won't be buying a single bluray disk until the price drops more than significantly.

You should be able to trade your old DVDs in on any updates(BlueRay)that come out in the future, but that's just my opinion. I guess though that's how they rape you of your hard earned cash.

JEDIpartner
02-05-2008, 07:36 AM
...which is why so many people aren't really embracing the new format. They are sick of having to keep upgrading.

TeeEye7
02-05-2008, 08:02 AM
...which is why so many people aren't really embracing the new format. They are sick of having to keep upgrading.

Amen to that, JP. I'm still trying to find a few movies on DVD that I have on VHS that I would deem my favorites. And don't get me started about replacing my VHS series/sets such as Ken Burn's The Civil War and the like. :frus:

El Chuxter
02-05-2008, 09:29 AM
I believe there comes a point where the human eye and ear cannot discern any improvement in quality.

I'm still not convinced that zenith isn't DVD.

Blue2th
02-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Well at least the better system won this time.
I remember friends I knew in San Diego having their Beta clubs back in the eighties, because they hated the inferior VHS. Eventually having to change to VHS because they simply couldn't find any more Beta tapes.
With the ever increasing complexity and motion of CGI, more storage of info is needed.
Isn't it like Microsoft to release a product (HD-DVD) before all the bugs are worked out, or at least compete with another superior system or format.
We could get sidetracked into the whole Apple vs PC thing here, but anyways...
Didn't Lucas film AOTC, then ROTS on new state of the art at the time Sony digital cameras?
I thought I read this somewhere.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-05-2008, 02:22 PM
That's the funny thing though. Whatever Lucas filmed AOTC and ROTS on is probably not state of the art anymore. We don't get near enough time to enjoy what we have in the format we got it before the next big thing comes out. Frustrating, isn't it? :mad:

I'm happy with all the DVD sets I have, and I'm not going to pay more for version that are a different format, yet the same exact thing I already have. Not worth my time or money. I have the same DVD player I got in 2002 and it still works great.

Rocketboy
02-05-2008, 07:40 PM
I have the same DVD player I got in 2002 and it still works great.Hell, I still have a DVD player I got in 1999 or 2000
that still works. Bastard is a big as my fridge, but it still works.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-05-2008, 10:13 PM
As Chux said, I really can't tell much of a difference at this point in the game. I don't think it matters unless you've got a 72" TV, which I don't.

Blue2th
02-06-2008, 12:35 AM
As Chux said, I really can't tell much of a difference at this point in the game. I don't think it matters unless you've got a 72" TV, which I don't.
I thought the same till I walked up to a Sony or Samsung LCD and actually watched a Blueray or an HD-DVD playing. I was blown away with the details. In stores like Bestbuy, they show comparison shots side by side of the difference, and there is quite a difference. I recommend trying this before making the final judgement on whether it matters or not. The proof is in the seeing.
I would love to see Star Wars like this.

What's good is that if I ever get the denero to buy a Blueray, it will also play the hundred or so regular DVDs that I have already bought with better detail than a regular player. So it can only enhance my existing DVDs.

The TV set matters also. There are 3 companies that have smoothed over the ghosting and jerky movement that have plagued LCD's, Sony, Samsung and Sharp. This is a new feature is just coming out, and the final major flaw of LCD TV's to be solved.
You would have to have quite the large TV room to justify a 72" That would be like going to the movies and sitting on the front row. You just can't take it all in that close. I'd be happy with a 40" minimum size screen. 52" maximum. Though that's probably too big.

JON9000
02-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Honestly, now that I have Netflix, I rarely buy any DVDs. Pretty soon every movie out there will be available on demand over the air anytime in high def. There will be no need for cumbersome hardcopies of movies, unless you simply want a souvenir of the film to "collect".

Blue2th
02-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Honestly, now that I have Netflix, I rarely buy any DVDs. Pretty soon every movie out there will be available on demand over the air anytime in high def. There will be no need for cumbersome hardcopies of movies, unless you simply want a souvenir of the film to "collect".
True. My sister subscribed to Netflix. We've been watching quite a few movies lately. And then you can go into any Smiths grocer or Walmart and they have those 1.00 per night movie vending machines with the latest releases.

I can't afford a HD big screen anytime in the near future anyways. But I have this 30" apple monitor upstairs, and was checking into a stand alone HDTV tuner that has other hookups for DVD and video games etc.
I have watched DVDs through my computer, but I'm wondering how it will do as a separate switchable HDTV monitor also.