PDA

View Full Version : Can we get rid of Jar Jar?

spidey2002
12-30-2001, 01:34 PM
Does anybody else want to get rid of Jar Jar? What would be the posiblity of getting a huge petition together to send to Lucas to take Jar Jar out of the next 2 movies?

Beast
12-30-2001, 02:50 PM
Let me think on that, ummm... no

For one, can't we just stop all these senseless Jar Jar attacks. He wasn't that bad a charecter if you consider some valid points.

1. He was a teenager, and like alot of teenagers they are struggling with their child side. He has grown and matured alot during the 10 years between Episode 1 and Episode 2. While his part isn't as big in E2, he still plays a roll in the film.

2. Kids like him, adults don't because many have lost the ability to just enjoy these movies. Most of us were kids when we saw the original trilogy, that magic has faded for alot of you. Our innocence was lost.

3. He's an important charecter in E1, without him the storyline would have flowed vastly different. He helped the Jedi's, the Queen, and the Naboo people. It was a moral lesson to today's kids, that no matter how different you are, you can still make a difference.

4. I expect Lucas has some grand scheme for Episode III, involving Jar Jar that will lead alot of us to think differently of him then we do now. I expect that he will possibly sacrifice his life, to help Padme and the Skywalker twins to escape. I think he may also fall to Anakin himself, since that would be the ultimate betrayl of himself over to the Dark Side, killing his childhood friend.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

master jedi
12-30-2001, 03:14 PM
Considering that Jar Jar isn't in the classic trilogy don't you think that Lucas will most likely kill him off in either AotC or Ep.3?

Jedi Clint
12-30-2001, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by master jedi
Considering that Jar Jar isn't in the classic trilogy don't you think that Lucas will most likely kill him off in either AotC or Ep.3?

No.

Beast
12-30-2001, 07:00 PM
True, even if he doesn't die in EIII, that doesn't mean he has to for some reason appear at all in the old trilogy. Look at alot of the unique aliens in the Cantina or Jabba's Palace that didn't appear in the other films. Remeber, it's a big galaxy/universe...and from the amount of pods we saw in the Senate Chamber in Episode 1. There are numerous species we haven't even glimpsed at all in the movies.

I still see my original theroy for him to be slain by Anakin.But if he does survive, and the rumors of an Archival Edition of all 6 movies are true. The Archival Edition DVD's may feature a new scene with poor ole Jar Jar, possible on Alderaan with Bail Organa prior to it's destruction.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
12-30-2001, 07:25 PM
Now there's a refreshing thought....... :D

I'm slowly warming to Jar Jar as an integral part of the saga. I think mostly for me now it's the bad CGI that does jar Jar in. the way his skin moves funnyand his markings shift position from time to time when he moves his head. The way he doesn't actually connect with the ground when he walks. Odd little picky things that are more to do with the production values than the character.

If he's supposed to be about fifteen in TPM then he's gonna be twenty five in this one so quite a lot more chilled I expect. More worldly wise. Given that the scenes he's in are likely to be brief I don't think there's much chance of any Eopie farts in AOTC. If he does anything typically Jar Jar then it's likely to be more subdued and more scooby doo than donald duck. His dialogue is likely to be spartan and sprinkled a lot less liberally than in TPM.

Jar jar is there to bridge the two films for the kids who will be returning to see a new star wars movie after they got their introduction to star wars with TPM. There has to be something to ease the kids into the harder edged story of AOTC and Jar Jar fits that bill.

master jedi
12-30-2001, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
True, even if he doesn't die in EIII, that doesn't mean he has to for some reason appear at all in the old trilogy. Look at alot of the unique aliens in the Cantina or Jabba's Palace that didn't appear in the other films. Remeber, it's a big galaxy/universe...and from the amount of pods we saw in the Senate Chamber in Episode 1. There are numerous species we haven't even glimpsed at all in the movies.

I still see my original theroy for him to be slain by Anakin.But if he does survive, and the rumors of an Archival Edition of all 6 movies are true. The Archival Edition DVD's may feature a new scene with poor ole Jar Jar, possible on Alderaan with Bail Organa prior to it's destruction.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Good point but Jar Jar isn't a background character. He's one of the main characters in the prequel trilogy. The way I understand why Jar Jar isn't in the original trilogy is that Lucas either killes him off or makes him go into hiding or something.

bigbarada
12-31-2001, 12:10 AM
It is an awfully big galaxy so Jar Jar could be active in the Rebel Alliance and we'd never see him. Personally, I think they should digitally erase Admiral Ackbar from ROTJ and replace him with Admiral Jar Jar. Then they could put him in the Cantina as a lead singer for the Modal Nodes. Then they could put him on Hoth giving CPR to an unconscious Luke Skywalker while he fights off a rabid Wampa. Then they could.....:crazed:

Obi-Don
12-31-2001, 09:50 AM
Get rid of Ackbar? No way but it wouldn't hurt to see Jar Jar in command of one of the fleet's ships.

I like JarJarBinks idea.

JEDIpartner
12-31-2001, 11:12 AM
I was one of the folks who thought Jar-Jar was a head slappingly stupid character the first time I saw TPM. Repeated viewings have dulled his inital impact for me. I rather like him at this point. Remember how annoying LUKE was in ANH? We warmed up to him, too!

Yes, the galaxy is enormous. I think that if Uncle George had us running into the same characters over and over again be it in the prequels or the classic trilogy, it would seem a lot smaller.

Obi-Don
01-01-2002, 12:24 AM
Very good point JEDIpartnr. It took me a while to warm up to JarJar to.I don't mind him so much now and I think something would be missing if he was not in the movie.

mabudonicus
01-08-2002, 02:44 PM
I'm glad this thread isn't just a bunch of vitriolic hatred towards the galaxys most underappreciated CGI ever. I'm sure that the fact that JJB was in fact a youth in the film ( as amphibians grow to full adult size pretty quick) as emp. Jargo pointed out, guarantees that the binks in the next film will be radically different from the one we all know(and most folks seem to HATE) And no, just because I have a 7 foot binks in my kitchen does NOT make me biased(that's how I spell the word)Woooooooo!!

spidey2002
01-08-2002, 02:59 PM
You all have made some very good points. I totally understand that Jar Jar was a teenager and I do hope you guys are right about him being more mature and not so annoying in the next films. I hope I did not offend when I made the suggestion, I was just trying to get a feel for how everyone felt about Jar Jar. I personally could do without him in the first film but I do realize why lucas put him in the film. I feel he needed a way to connect kids to the film. I guess I hadn't thought about Luke being a dork in Star Wars ANH but I think it was brought up. He was kind of a dork and although he wasn't my favorite character in the triology, I did get used to him. Hopefully Jar Jar will be the same way. I am looking forward to the new movie and especially looking forward to Episode 3. Thanks to all who posted responses, they help me put a different perspective on Jar Jar that while I am watching my Episode One DVD and make it even more enjoyable.

SithDroid
01-11-2002, 05:12 PM
First of all, I don't like Jar Jar. There is no need to have a character that steps in poop, gets farted on, steals food, gets his lips stuck in the energy beam, and so on and so on. This type of "childish stupid humor" is best left outside of the Star Wars universe. Leave South Park and the Simpsons for stuff like that. And I do have one thing to say about having Jar Jar in the movie to relate the story to kids, who cares. When I first saw the Original Star Wars Trilogy in the theatres I was a child myself. My attention was kept. I didn't need the stupid humor to keep me fixed to the screen. I loved the humor of C-3P0. Who couldn't like a droid that worries all the time. Thats all the comedy I need. I would like to see more of C-3P0 in Episode 2 and less of Jar Jar. Also as far as Episode I is concerned, a few quick rewrites and the story and integrity of the film would have been maintained. Think about it. Everything Jar Jar does in the film is unnecessary. The only reason he is there is to introduce them to the Gungans. There could have been another way around that. Although I will admit that Jar Jar's annoyingness has decreased with multiple viewings of the film. You can love Jar Jar if you want, but as for me I'll take C-3P0 over him any day.

El Chuxter
01-11-2002, 05:47 PM
My theory has always been that, in E3, Amidala (or is her real name Padme, as it's starting to look?), Obi-Wan, Jar Jar, and possibly Bail will confront Anakin (pre-lava) in a last-ditch attempt to turn him back from the Dark Side. They will be getting through to him, and then, for whatever reason (an annoying comment, maybe) Ani slices Jar Jar in two. This conclusively tells the others that he cannot be saved, and Obi-Wan begins to fight him. Their battle just happens to take them on a bridge over a volcano, and the rest is history. . . .

stillakid
01-12-2002, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by master jedi

Midichlorians will have to be digitally inserted into the Classic Trilogy for the DVD release, so why not Jar Jar? It's a brave new revisionist world out there.

SithDroid
01-30-2002, 01:55 AM
Midichlorians will have to be digitally inserted into the Classic Trilogy for the DVD release, so why not Jar Jar? It's a brave new revisionist world out there.

Please don't say that stillakid. If that happens, then you can kiss my Star Wars collection goodbye. It'll be for sale on ebay.

JetsAndHeels
01-30-2002, 12:28 PM
I must admit I laughed more at Nute Gunray and Rune Haako at the beginning of TPM than I laughed at Jar Jar. At first I simply looked at Jar Jar as comic relief, something kids would like, or simply a nice idea for a T-shirt. Now I understand that he is a vital character in the SW saga and he is definately underappreciated.
I know his role in EP2 will be less than in TPM, but I am sure it will
be equally as important.

stillakid
01-30-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
I must admit I laughed more at Nute Gunray and Rune Haako at the beginning of TPM than I laughed at Jar Jar. At first I simply looked at Jar Jar as comic relief, something kids would like, or simply a nice idea for a T-shirt. Now I understand that he is a vital character in the SW saga and he is definately underappreciated.
I know his role in EP2 will be less than in TPM, but I am sure it will
be equally as important.

The only story point to Jar Jar was to bring the Gungans into the war. However, the way Lucas got him into the story was with a life-debt to Qui Gon...a responsibility that he quickly shirked as soon as he was offered a commission in the army. Had Lucas stuck to that life-debt thing, and had Jar Jar die as a martyr then I believe that most people would be looking at the annoying character in a whole new light. Alas, he didn't die and returns for a whole new chapter....