PDA

View Full Version : OTC transitions figures 6.99?

Banthaholic
12-03-2004, 08:12 AM
Yesterday my finace picked up a Sly Moore for me from toys R Us. I went to grab the recepit to see how much I owed her, and low and behold She was 6.99

On the receipt it's listed as SW E3 PREMOVIBASIC FI 6.99

Needless to say Toys R Us got a ticked off customer letter sent to them today, they'll also get their figures returned today as well. I knew that they were probaly going to rise in price by $1, but a $2 increase in unacceptible. That's a 40% price increase just in time for the holidays.

If anyone finds these at Toys R Us make sure to pay attention to the price.

dindae
12-03-2004, 09:01 AM
Yeah I hope they don't start down that path. If they can't stay on a level feild with Wal-mart and Target they won't last. That was the main reason I wouldn't shop at Kay-bee. Usually on my lunch I go to a shopping area that has a Toys R Us, Target, Wal-Mart and K-Mart. I only have time to hit three of the four so normally that is K-Mart. That extra dollar just gives me a reason not to stop because I know I will eventually find the figures somewhere else. I saw in another thread that Meijer's was at $7 too.

Kidhuman
12-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Make sure you ceck the shelf tags before purchasing the figures. If it says 4. whatever, thats the price they have ot charge.

ANyways, TRU has been out of my loop for almost 2 years now, as they price much higher than most other stores. I could care less if they drop out of site.

dindae
12-03-2004, 10:23 AM
The problem with Toys R Us dropping is that they carry a wider assortment of things. Yes they get clogged with stuff but even now when all other stores around here having only a few pegs of Star wars they have a whole wall section. Also they are good for exclusives and vehicles. If Wal-mart and Target are the only major players don't expect to see many vehicles after ROTS.

mericen
12-03-2004, 10:53 AM
The Toys R Us near where I live is selling the new figures for $5.99 almost the same price as Wal-Mart($5.88). I have not seen new figures at the Targets near me, all they seem to be getting is the OTC wave with the generals. Most of the ones I have found I have gotten for the $4.88 price though as they have not changed shelf tags, except for at one Wal-Mart in Columbus, Ohio.

TheCricket
12-03-2004, 11:46 AM
I haven't bought a figure at TRU in months. Two area TRU stores have moved Star Wars stuff to a small 4-sided island display, and it's full of old Unleashed, old Saga, OTC vehicles, and the multi-packs. They won't discount the Saga figures, and no one will buy them...so they never order any OTC. I've been hunting at Walmart and Target almost exclusively.

I would pay $5.99 for the transition-wave figs...close enough to Walmart if the are priced at $5.88. But not $6.99! Do they want to continue losing money and market share?

mm74md
12-03-2004, 04:57 PM
Yeah, my TRU in Maryland rang up $5.99 and I was annoyed cause I had $10.50 cash for the two figs I got & ended up using my check card! Oh well, I'm happy that we had the lower price for a few years now. Don't forget that the EPI/POTJ figs were $6.99-$7.99.

Hellboy
12-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Make sure you ceck the shelf tags before purchasing the figures. If it says 4. whatever, thats the price they have ot charge.

You would be are correct sir!! I found a few of the transition figures at TRU last weekend and they rang up at $5.99. The store didn't have the new prices posted and all of the figures were mixed together so I fussed and they gave them to me for $4.99 because that was the only price posted on the shelf. So make sure you pay attention because unless they seperate these new higher priced figures from the OTC figs they can't charge you more.
:beard:

Hellboy
12-04-2004, 01:23 PM
I thought this was pretty funny. I strolled into TRU today hoping to find the rest of the transition wave I needed and sure enought they were there. They indeed do ring up at $6.99 now but the funny thing is they still hadn't changed the shelf price so I saved $16 by making them give them to me for $4.99 once more. I honestly don't think the average TRU employee is knowledgeable enough to know the difference between the OTC and transition waves.

TheCricket
12-04-2004, 02:49 PM
Re the transition wave...they haven't reached WI yet. I haven't seen any stores that have changed any tags/prices. According to Jaff's inventory reports, a couple of local Walmarts are sitting on some POTC/transition wave cases that arrived before Thanksgiving.

Kidhuman
12-04-2004, 08:50 PM
Nice move Hellboy. Take full advantage of thier stupidity. I do and will continue to do so.

darth maul rat
12-06-2004, 10:51 PM
It is not just TRU that has hiked the prices so drastically. The Saturday after Thanksgiving I ran out to my local MEIJER store here in Indianapolis, and was surprised to find the Queen Amidala Celebration figure. When I got home, I was even more surprised to see that it had gone through at $6.99. Figures here have been $4.99 pretty much everywhere exept K-Mart, which recently bumped them up to $5.49. Since I missed the price increase announcement, I wrote this off as a mistake.
Then last Saturday night I was at another MEIJER store and saw the Rabe' figure hanging on the front of a peg marked $4.99, but when I checked the scanner, it came up at $6.99. I went back and looked and there were no pegs anywhere with the new price, and I probably could have fought them on it. But I figured I would find the fig again, and it wasn't worth fight over. So, I guess we can mark TRU and Meijer down as the stores that are majorly upping the price.

-dmr

SplFrcsCWO
12-07-2004, 12:58 AM
My TRU tried the same thing but I took it immediately to the manager who honored the $4.99 price without hesitation. I'm sure they had someone write a tag with the new price after I left.

Ji'dai
12-07-2004, 03:34 PM
My Super K-Mart had pegs full of the first 5 POTC yesterday. All were price-tagged $5.49 but scanned $6.99 at checkout. I didn't have to argue since the figs were all tagged with the previous price; the checker could see it for herself. Hasbro has alot of nerve with this price increase, especially with some of the figs in the next waves being repacks.

TheCricket
12-07-2004, 04:09 PM
My Super K-Mart had pegs full of the first 5 POTC yesterday. All were price-tagged $5.49 but scanned $6.99 at checkout. I didn't have to argue since the figs were all tagged with the previous price; the checker could see it for herself. Hasbro has alot of nerve with this price increase, especially with some of the figs in the next waves being repacks.
Raising the price on ROTS makes sense, since the packaging is completely different. Even noncollectors could see that. But raising the price on repackaged OTC figures is absurd. The Stormtrooper, the Scout Trooper, and a dozen others are being re-released for POTC (at the higher price) on cards virtually identical to the OTC. Who but a collector would know they were different? Hasbro may see more blowback from retailers after this.

Slicker
12-07-2004, 05:59 PM
I went into TRU today and just as I was walking up to SW display an employee was changing the price point on the POTC figures that they had. Needless to say I picked up 3 of em.

TheCricket
12-08-2004, 07:22 AM
I went into TRU today and just as I was walking up to SW display an employee was changing the price point on the POTC figures that they had. Needless to say I picked up 3 of em.
Were the new tags $5.99 or $6.99?

Slicker
12-08-2004, 11:28 AM
The new ones were for $6.99.

kool-aid killer
12-08-2004, 12:20 PM
I havent seen any new basic figures that ive needed in a while so i havent ran into the price increase yet. The two dollar jump seems a little crazy though. Hasbro better hope they catch some other toy lines during a slow period with this, or else im thinking more than a few people are going to pass on these and go for something with a little more plastic that sells for about the same price.