PDA

View Full Version : I've Started Down The Dark (Read: Expensive) Path

Slicker
12-03-2004, 07:50 PM
I recently bought my first vintage figure off Ebay the other day. Not much, a MOMC un-punched ROTJ Rebel Commando for $20. I've got several other bids right now on other ROTJ figs and they're going for $20-$30. That's all fine and good to get them that cheap but when I want to get the SW and ESB figs I'm gonna shell out the big bucks.

Now that I've started I look everyday and try to find some good deals and I'm always bidding on stuff just so that when it sells I can't be disappointed for not bidding. After next May I'm gonna look even harder and no doubt buy lots more vintage which means that I'm gonna unfortunately let my newer collection go (but let's hope I don't) just to be able to afford it.

Is it really worth it to try and get these figures now after 30 years or am I just wasting my money on something that'll probably never get completed?

Ji'dai
12-03-2004, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't sacrifice my modern figure collection to build a vintage one. Of course I grew up with those toys and still have all of them along with the [flattened] boxes they came in. I don't have a complete vintage collection, but I haven't been interested in filling in the holes since the line was cancelled. I've come to prefer the modern line over the vintage one, even though the vehicles we get are often from the original molds.

Still, it was nice to see the vintage cards reproduced for the VOTC. I wouldn't mind seeing more figures packaged on repro cards but not at $10 a pop.

Kidhuman
12-03-2004, 08:28 PM
I pick up some vintage here and there. During the grat drought of 2003, I picked up some vintage stuff, Imperial Attack Base, Speeder Bike, a figure or two, but that was because I found no new SW stuff for 9 months. I had to do something to satisfy my Jones.

Its not a bad idea if you can swing both, modern and vintage. I would fill in the gaps in my vintage if I had the cash, but most of the stuff I am missing is POTF and that is expensive.

LusiferSam
12-03-2004, 09:48 PM
Is it really worth it to try and get these figures now after 30 years or am I just wasting my money on something that'll probably never get completed?
I honestly don't believe that's a question any one can answer for you. I think you need to decide if it worth your time and more importantly your money.

From my own point of view I would say it is worth it. As a kid I was very disappointed at not getting certain figures and had always wanted them. So when the opportunities started present themselves on eBay I started to take them. And after recently completed my vintage collection I would encourage any one with an interest to build one.

Personally my stuff is loose and did take that long to amass. I had 35 figures from childhood to start with (a nice seed) and it took 3 and half years to get the other 67 (my Ben and Lando weren't in good shape, so I bought new ones for display). If your after MOMC figures (oh you silly people) that will take a lot longer. But enough time and money I think its doable.

I would also add the my vintage collection is more meaningful to me than the modern stuff. I grew up with it and I had to work harder to items. So there is something to be said for that.

Kidhuman
12-03-2004, 09:53 PM
I would also add the my vintage collection is more meaningful to me than the modern stuff. I grew up with it and I had to work harder to items. So there is something to be said for that.

I feel the same way. I love my vintage collection. BUt where I differ from you is I have about 87 figures,(some doubles of army builders) and most ofd the stuff I need is POTF and vehicles and playsets. I wish I had the extra cash ot get the stuff I need, hopefully in the next year I will be able ot start down that road and fill in the gaps slowly. I have see nalot of vintage price drops on ebay too.

Slicker
12-09-2004, 12:14 AM
I got my Rebel Commando in the mail today and I must say aside from a slightly yellowed bubble he is extremely good condition. The hole is very unpunched, the front of the card is nearly flawless, and the overall condition of the figure is great with a couple of minor creases in the corners not visible on the front. I'm happy with my purchase and I'll definitely be buying more.

This reminds me I'm off to leave me some feedback.

vader121
12-09-2004, 08:59 AM
Balancing Vintage with Modern is fun (at least to me it is). However my passion lies with vintage. It's part of my history and childhood. I have a decent amount of vintage carded figures with some nice gems mixed in but most are the more common ones. I get a few here and there but probably will never have them all.
However with the proper drive you can have a complete set of vintage carded within a few years I would guess. All it takes is time and money.

jedi_uk73
12-12-2004, 07:21 AM
The choice of going after a carded set really is up to you..

If you do, there are a few ways of going about it, but it doesn't have to cost a fortune.

Debut cards - very expensive.
Film related cards - expensive, but not as much as above.
All ROTJ cards - cheap, but a few are pricey, and not all appeared on ROTJ.
All Trilogo cards - as above - but a few didn't appear so alternative needed.
Any Card - cheapest option.

I started my quest for a set of 96 MOC back in September 2002 and completed it early this year. I went for the 'any card' option, and ended up with a few 'sweet' cards, SW, ESB, ROTJ, POTF & Trilogo and a few 'foreign' ones too.

It didn't cost me a fortune either, as nearly my entire modern collection was sold off to fund it.

I did it purely for nostalgia, as I had the originals as a child, which I quickly opened....so wanted them again carded..

darthCDitty
12-14-2004, 07:20 PM
I would stongly suggest if you are going to start to buy the Star wars 12/20/21 backs, that you buy graded ones (AFA), because as we all know, everyone has a different opinion on what is mint/near mint etc..... If condition/quality is not a concern then by all means go ungraded...

On another note, i am not quite sure why so many collectors shell out big bucks for the new modern star wars, when in 20years who will be able to decipher between otc, potj, potf2, ep1, aotc etc............. The originals is where the investment lies and they will sure hold there value much better (example red and green cards POTF2 fetch pennies on the dollar but boy were they hot back in the day).... My advice to new collectors, instead of shelling out $500 on new graded/ungraded otc and votc figures, use that $500 and purchase a graded 12back of R2-D2 or a Jawa....

Slicker
12-14-2004, 08:49 PM
Condition is somewhat of a concern but you can be more picky due to the vast amount of vintage on ebay which is where I've looked the most. AFA graded figs were a thought but the high cost kinda turned me off although it is worth it. I'm working on the cheaper Jedi figs right now and I'll move on to the more expensive ones next year and beyond.

Slicker
12-19-2004, 01:22 AM
I just picked up a ROTJ Klatuu (sp?) Skiff Guard for $19. It's unpunched and from the pics looked to be in good condition. I've also got a winning bid on a ROTJ Weequay and he's also unpunched.

Kidhuman
12-19-2004, 09:57 AM
Good pickups SLicker. The Gam Guard should be next in line. They go for toughly the same price.

Slicker
12-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Well I lost the Weequay. Imagini this I got outbid with a little under a minute to go in the auction.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That always pi$$es me off.

jjreason
12-19-2004, 06:35 PM
I swore I wouldn't, but I seem to have begun dabbling in vintage myself. I'm only interested in loose figures right now, and I'm starting with the figures that we're originally packed on the cards recently remade into the VOTC figures. I'm hoping to build a new display of the original figure along with it's VOTC counterpart in front of the VOTC card. I might even break out the POTF2, POTJ and Saga counterparts for these guys if I get up the energy (and we're talking a lot of energy if I'm supposed to dig out every Tatooine Luke I've amassed since 1995).

The problem is my starting point seemed to be very "doable", but as I start making deals for these loose figures people seem to want to have other nice ones for sale that I decide I might want again (Power Droid and Fx7 to name a couple). It's going to be hard to stop.

Slicker
12-19-2004, 09:53 PM
The problem is my starting point seemed to be very "doable", but as I start making deals for these loose figures people seem to want to have other nice ones for sale that I decide I might want again (Power Droid and Fx7 to name a couple). It's going to be hard to stop. I've got this problem with ebay. I'll bid on one figure then before I know it I'll go to check my email and I have 6 or 7 different bids placed. Sometimes I'll place a bid that I know will never win but the way I see it is I can't win it if I don't bid on it. I found an AFA 12 back Luke that was just listed and I bid $5. Needless to say I lost.:cry:;)