PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Army Building

Kidhuman
12-03-2004, 10:00 PM
I guess this popped into my head while typing a post in another thread....

WHen I was a kid, my armies consisted of the following:

2 Jawas
2 Tuskens
3 Stormies
2 Snowtroopers
2 Rebel soldiers
3 Biker Scouts
2 Weequays

Now, take a look at todays standards of army biuilding......(not picking on you Tycho, Sal and some others)

40 SA clones
200 Stormies
20 Biker Scouts
40 Regular Clones

and so on.

I know poeple build dioramas and such, but the vast difference is what gets me. I have just started building a few armies, mostly clones and stormies. But I cant believe how content I was with 3 stormtroopers

Bel-Cam Jos
12-04-2004, 10:03 PM
I guess this popped into my head while typing a post in another thread....

WHen I was a kid, my armies consisted of the following:

2 Jawas
2 Tuskens
3 Stormies
2 Snowtroopers
2 Rebel soldiers
3 Biker Scouts
2 Weequays

But I cant believe how content I was with 3 stormtroopers
Well, when I was a kid (and I went by Bel-Cam Jos Jr. :D - that one's for you, Chuxter! ), I had these duplicates:

2 Lukes (X-Wing)
2 Stormies
2 Death Star Droids
2 Hans (drew black on arms to make a Bespin version)
2 R2 (sensor)

And that was it. I couldn't afford too many extras, but I really tried to make sure I had one of each (except for POTF, I was quite close). What I wanted for "armies" were:

2 Emperor's Guards (every scen you saw at least two)
2 Rebel Hoth Soliders (cool looking fig)
2 Stormies
2 Snowtroopers

Now I just try to find better versions of my "loved" figures (i.e. played with, often in mud, water, sand, etc.).

Good luck all on your army building, folks!

Kidhuman
12-04-2004, 10:07 PM
I forgot I had 2 Emperors Royal Guards as well.

vader121
12-07-2004, 10:50 AM
I remember as a kid having the following:

14 Stormtroopers (1 had broken leg)
10 Snowtroopers
4 Rebel Soldiers
2 DS commanders
6 Weequays
4 Klaatus
2 Klaatus (skiff)
2 Niktos
4 Hammerheads

I have many many more now.

LusiferSam
12-08-2004, 12:26 PM
4 Hammerheads
Wow! What did you do to deserve that kind of punishment? :crazed:

I didn't have any armies as a kid (I still really don't). I did have two Vaders, R2s and 3POs. The second Vader and R2 were to replace broken ones, the double C-3PO was just a mistake. I would have loved to have played with two or three Stormtroopers. But it never occurred to me to ask for another one.

None of my friends had any armies either (as far as I can remember). Most offend when playing we have the Stormtrooper shot and just get back up again. There is only one kid (we really won't friends) that I can think of that might of had an army, and that's only because he had everything.

vader121
12-09-2004, 08:54 AM
Not sure exactly but I do know that one kid gave me several figures and one was a Hammerhead. Probably got 2 more in trades or something. I remember trading my Tie pilot for like 4 figures once.

I am always on the hunt for vintage Stormies, Snowies, At At drivers, DS commanders, At At commanders, Imp officers, Hot Rebel troops, Hot Rebel Commanders, Endor commandos, Bwing pilots, Luke pilots, At St drivers, & Tie Pilots. I'll NEVER have enough of these. I keep holding out hope that I'll create dioramas someday but the space in my house is a serious issue. I'm just a tad bit crazy I guess. :crazed:

aceguide
12-24-2004, 09:44 AM
I always had a couple each of the imperials. My bother and I always received matching figs so everything had a dupe (wish we had left one on the card.... :ermm: ). We did amass about 5 stormies between us.

Now, with money and better ideas (army building 4 packs - LISTEN UP HASBRO!) my 8 year old has at least 20 stormies, clones and battle droids. I would have killed for armies like that. Not to mention the 50 various Jedi...