PDA

View Full Version : Dead fans - I bought Russo's 30th Anniv. NOTLD

2-1B
12-04-2004, 04:22 AM
Yep, it's as bad as I've heard.

I saw it for $7.99 and decided to give it a shot. As bad as the ideas sounded to me, I can't be a hypocrite and write it off without seeing it . . . afterall, this is a Star Wars site I am on and as a fan of old and new SW, revisions are a part of the deal. lol

So I gave it a shot and I thought it was bad:

1) The new score. What the eff ? Terrible, just terrible, at least in the first half or so for sure. It's not quite as bad later on but I keep thinking of the score as Barbra runs from Cemetary Zombie and how it does not even feel like it is part of the movie.

2) Cemetary Zombie. Are you kidding me ? The promotional book in this DVD set has rave comments about how well they succeeded in turning back the clock on Bill Hinzman by 30 years. Umm, no they didn't. I know people worked hard on this but I fail to see how they thought it would be a good idea to make a face mold and mess with all those appliances when the end result is obviously a guy who looks like he is wearing a mask with loads of makeup. It is so bad. The original footage shows that this zombie has actual eyeballs but the new footage makes it look like he's squinting the whole time. Lame.

3) New storylines. They all suck:

-a) The preacher. What is this nonsense and why does he look like Anton LaVey ? Was this intentional ? The prolouge is bad and the epilogue is terrible.

-b) Back to the Cemetary Zombie. I don't care who he was or why he was executed. If the "actor" who played the zombie wasn't the film's DP, would anybody seriously think we needed to know where he came from ? NO, just like we don't need the backstory of any other zombies, save for Johnny of course. Ridiculous.

-c) Those two gravediggers. Pointless. So they went to Beekman's Diner and got killed just like everybody else. Did I need to see who was driving the truck before Ben got it ? No. At least not in this poor of fashion.

-d) Car crash family. I didn't think it fit in that well, the gore effects seem too good for what they did originally. It just didn't feel natural to me.

-e) Russo cut old footage which he deemed too slow to cram in this other stuff to make it more modern in pace. The idea there sounds vaguely similar in the thinking behind cutting Dawn of the Dead for international release. Know what I mean ?

-f) Trimming Johnny and Barbra's opening drive scene. BAD, BAD, BAD if you ask me.

Well that's all I can think of for now. It's been so long since I've seen the original and now that this is fresh in my mind, I'll have to cleanse it with a viewing of the Millenium Edition.

James Boba Fettfield
12-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Haven't seen it, never will.

Russo is a joke to any dead fans after his recent projects involving the living dead.

Hellboy
12-04-2004, 02:16 PM
Yeah I'm not to surprised its terrible. I didn't plan on seeing this version anytime soon and after reading your comments Caesar I'll probably pass viewing it altogether.

2-1B
12-04-2004, 08:48 PM
Come on guys, watch it ! :mad:

I need someone else to goof on it with me. :D

How about that Colorized version that's out there, anybody ever see that ?

I have to say I'm curious to see how it looks in color but then again, I can only imagine what the black Bosco syrup looks like in color, considering they used that for some blood scenes. ;)

2-1B
12-07-2004, 12:27 AM
Well, I was just reading the website of Kyra Schon and she referrred to "that atrocious colorized version" and how it made some of the zombies look green so that's a bit curious.

Hilarious, she sells autographed trowels on her site.