PDA

View Full Version : Tantive IV Playset!

jedi master sal
12-06-2004, 09:57 AM
Okay, now let your hearts settle down form a minute. No there is not any official news of this. I'm just wondering if you would like to see this made?

It would make total sense in that we could buy TWO of them, so as to have one for the original scene. This playset could be long, but not the complete ship. Basically the bridge, the long corridor (the same as seen in ANH) and the room with the table and chairs (conferenc room?)

IMO, this would be a great set to own, especially if it were made in pieces (sold together though), being somewhat modular, so that you could either connect the hallway to the bridge or the conference room, then the other section connecting to it.

What do you think?

Perhaps this would be better suited as a Poll question?

Devo
12-06-2004, 10:14 AM
Damn you and your misleading tone in the thread title!!! Anyway, if they make this for the Episode III line, and provided Lucas hasn't made unnecessary changes to the ships interior design (not everything needs to be shown to 'evolve'), then I'd say they're hitting two birds with one stone. It would work as a playset for 2 Star Wars films and thats great by me.

I don't know what parts of the ship will be shown in ROTS but I'd like if a playset had sections representing all the parts seen in ANH - corridor and Stormie's entry hatch, escape pod bay and the 'interrogation' room.

Existing figures that need this as a home: Captain Antilles, R4M9, Tantive IV trooper, Commtech Leia, any good Vader, R2 and 3PO, VOTC or commtech Stormtrooper and Imperial Officer.

X13VADER
12-06-2004, 11:41 AM
They Would Be Smart And Just Make Doors And Hallways Instead To Sell. That Way We Can Get And Build As Big As We Want.for The People That Have Everything On Shelfs They Just Need One Back Wall And A Door. People Like Me Would Need Lots Of Them So I Can Make An Entire Base Or Ship With Them

Droid
12-06-2004, 12:19 PM
I can't think of the last time I was so excited and then disappointed! I thought an announcement was being made! I would totally buy that playset!

We won't get it. If we do, Hasbro will mount cannons on the walls or paint it neon orange or something, because as we all know KIDS ARE THE ONES BUYING THESE TOYS. :rolleyes:

Devo
12-06-2004, 03:52 PM
With the Tantive IV appearing in ROTS I'd say our chances have gone up that we might get either the ship or parts of the ship in playset form. Maybe it'll be the 'big vehicle' that will follow the initial wave of small vehicles just like in the Episode I and II lines with the Royal starship and Republic gunship. I'd like them to make the full ship with removable 'lids' like on the Falcon. They should defy realism in order to give it maximum diorama potential by making the engine section hollow and fitting it out as an interior set. If the cockpit could fit 2 figures I'd be very happy but if it only fit one I'd accept that too.

Tycho
12-09-2004, 01:41 AM
I'm sure you've seen mine before, but this was the SMALLEST I'd accept it.

Hasbro saw my ship in person, as SirSteve rolled his eyes when I HAD to drag this whole thing into ComicCon (1999 I think).

They'd guessed $250 minimal retail, if mass-produced, due to stores not wanting to lose shelf-space and their reluctance to do a made-to-order program.

If there would be such a thing, Hasbro wanted to look at a large-sized Millennium Falcon.

Anyway, this Tantive IV is 5 feet long and nearly blocks any exit from my sliding glass door off my master bedroom balcony.

By the way, due in some part to a trial and error process, the ship was $700 to build and I'm not going to make another for Prequel scenes. I'm looking towards Jabba's Sailbarge as my next possible project.

Darth Alex
12-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Tycho, I an actually taking off my Eagles hat and standing in awe. I NEVER SAW that, and I am NOT kissing yer backside. Nice. I'd buy it.

Jedi Master Sal, great topic. IF this gets made AND the Ep3 one isn't radically different from Ep4(I'm gonna guess NO), put me down for 2 of these ships/playsets.

Devo
12-09-2004, 04:19 PM
I'm sure you've seen mine before, but this was the SMALLEST I'd accept it.

Hasbro saw my ship in person, as SirSteve rolled his eyes when I HAD to drag this whole thing into ComicCon (1999 I think).

They'd guessed $250 minimal retail, if mass-produced, due to stores not wanting to lose shelf-space and their reluctance to do a made-to-order program.

If there would be such a thing, Hasbro wanted to look at a large-sized Millennium Falcon.

Anyway, this Tantive IV is 5 feet long and nearly blocks any exit from my sliding glass door off my master bedroom balcony.

By the way, due in some part to a trial and error process, the ship was $700 to build and I'm not going to make another for Prequel scenes. I'm looking towards Jabba's Sailbarge as my next possible project.

I can't see them making it any bigger than the Royal starship and you're right - that actually wouldn't be big enough. We must have playsets.

jedi master sal
12-09-2004, 05:02 PM
Yes, we must have playsets for this. That's the idea. There's no way we'd get the ship. It's too large and would in all likelyhood suck as a ship. Having it in playsets at least gets you some of the scenes. The hallway can double for a few scenes. While I'd like to have it as a ship, it's just not feasible for the market.

Kidhuman
12-09-2004, 05:32 PM
I would love it if they made it. Hasbro needs to do a trial run with some playsets like this. Tantive IV, Death Star, Jabbas Barge, I think it would be worth it if they did all of them.

El Chuxter
12-09-2004, 05:39 PM
The Tantive IV is in ROTS?

My hopes just went down the toilet. :cry:

Kyle Katarn
12-09-2004, 06:07 PM
I would like to see that in a store...I would buy it, and Tycho...your model is great, I wish I could have time to do things like that.

jedi master sal
12-10-2004, 10:53 AM
The Tantive IV is in ROTS?

My hopes just went down the toilet. :cry:

Sorry if you didn't know Chux. May I ask, why did your hopes go down the toilet? Is it your hopes that teh movie will be good and in some way having the Tantive IV will detract from it? Or is it that your hopes that we'll get a playset of this have somehow been diminished?

My hopes for this movie and consequently the toys is ever increasing. IMHO, from what we know right now, this is going to be an awesome movie and the toys are going to be out of this world. (No puns intended)

-Sal

JEDIpartner
12-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Having the Tantive IV in this film makes perfect sense as it is a vessel in service to the Royal House of Alderaan. I'm quite happy that we will see this vehicle on screen as Bail Organa is going to have an increased role in the film.

El Chuxter
12-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Yeah, but the "coincidence factor" was already pushed beyond the limit. I think this is straining it.

Besides, a royal family can't afford a new ride in 20 years? Riiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
12-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Besides, a royal family can't afford a new ride in 20 years? Riiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

Maybe its the Tavtive I. and they are leasing it from Galctic Vehicles, and after 20 years, they turned it in a few times for an upgrade.

JEDIpartner
12-10-2004, 01:24 PM
Here's my proposal for the playset. Make it look like the vessel but cut it lengthwise. Scale it down to the length of the Episode I Naboo Starship. One side would look like the exterior of the ship and the other will reveal the "guts".

The main fuselage and bulkhead could have two levels. It could be packed as three main pieces: the front half, the back half and the escape pod "wing". The Turret and Dish could be snap-on items. The whole ship could snap together with interlocking tabs. I think this would be the most reasonable way the ship could be produced.

JEDIpartner
12-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Maybe its the Tavtive I. and they are leasing it from Galctic Vehicles, and after 20 years, they turned it in a few times for an upgrade.
Biiiiiiiiiiiiiitch...! Like how long was the "Enterprise" in service on Star Trek. Wasn't it over twenty years before The got the 1701-A?

:P

Tycho
12-10-2004, 01:35 PM
Yeah, but the "coincidence factor" was already pushed beyond the limit. I think this is straining it.

Star Wars is a fairy tale, and thus there are a lot of coincidences. I still think Han Solo's origin is of a new type of Clone Trooper and he was separated during war, while only a boy.

While this idea is totally cool in my opinion, and explains a lot - the largest reason other fans on this board hate this idea is because they think it's too big of coincidence.

Get over that.

Heads up on a fact: reality is boring, that's why we like Star Wars. Coincidences can happen more often in "non-reality" and move the movie along at a much greater pace.

For example, R2D2 could have just made it to Obi-Wan Kenobi on Tatooine, and Luke would have never been involved - or they would have had to make some whole round-about story of how Obi-Wan was walking through the desert with R2, heading for Mos Eisley, when Luke crashes his T-16 and Ben rescues him from sandpeople and then has a secret conversation with Uncle Owen of how Luke has to fulfill his destiny.

I mean Owen would have never been killed by Sandtroopers if he hadn't bought R2 and C-3PO, right?

Oh - and C-3PO would have been out of the story, because he never would have kept up with R2, and didn't want to follow him in the first place.

JEDIpartner
12-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Okay... but what about MY propsal for a playset?? :rolleyes:

Devo
12-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Okay... but what about MY propsal for a playset?? :rolleyes:

Yep I've always liked the idea of larger ships built in composite pieces that can be attached together to form the whole. The Falcon could do with similar treatment. But rather than the playsets of old I'd like these to strive for accuracy - which means out with giant missile firing cannons and silly gimmicks and in with proper chairs, control panels, authentic interior architecture etc. This may not work for kids (though it would have worked for me when I was a kid) but it'd work for collectors. Hasbro gives us obscure characters, aliens and droids, why won't they step it up to collector-orientated playsets, and particularly ones that can be joined up into larger wholes, be they ships (with exterior authenticity aswell) or super-playsets.

Has this been put in the Dear Hasbro section before?

Tycho
12-10-2004, 02:02 PM
LOL JediPartnr. I'm sorry we got off topic. Still I'd like to hear El Chuxter's response to my opinion on coincidences in fiction, but...

Meanwhile, I might buy playset sections for E3 scenes. Yes, they'd sell for people into both ROTS and ANH - and possibly each piece would sell twice for that reason.

However, like I illustrated with my own ship I built, I barely fit all the scenes you suggested JP - and my ship had to be 5 feet long!

I built in the hammerhead, a cockpit with chairs and a counsel - used the Millennium Falcon computer game keyboard cover (that simulates the cockpit) and took the gunner station side off it (I made my own gunner chair in the turret cannon part of my ship). But that's all the room I had in there, 1 story. I used a flat floor on-level with the main corridoor in the cockpit.

Those are white paint mixing buckets that form the front hammer-head of the ship. I could have built a lower floor at the very bottom of it (you don't want curving floors for figures to stand on), and tried an upper deck with sitting room only - but then there's no room for stairs or a turbolift for characters to get out of the cockpit and into the main hull.

It'd have to be much bigger to get 2 levels out of the front. The actual TO-FIGURE-SCALE ship has 4 or 5 decks in the front according to INCREDIBLE CROSS-SECTIONS from DK Books. Doing it that size, contributes to the giant ship Michael Fright built to scale, which had to be towed by a semi-truck :rolleyes:

I'm sure there is a compromise on size available, but I'll tell you 5 feet almost blocks my exit onto my balcony. 7 feet would, but I'd keep a Star Destroyer of approximately those proportions that I'd want to one day build in another room that could support it - or a garage if you sacrafice a parking spot.

I think even sectionalized, you won't get 2 decks out of a controllable-size Blockade Runner. That's just my opinion having approached that problem while actually building one.

My Antilles figure is on the bridge in the cockpit in command. I have the Imperials boarding the ship and the fight in the corridoors, but I did not do the choking scene and only bought one Antilles figure to captain my ship. I didn't want to abuse the poor guy by putting Vader's hands around his throat.

JEDIpartner
12-10-2004, 02:51 PM
See... you're trying to add too much to it. :) You don't really NEED the stairs or turbolift if you try to make it a playset and not a replica. I built some pretty sweet scaled down things out of cardboard and plastic when I was a kid. It CAN be done, but there has to be sacrifices made for play environment. Some things may be a little out of scale and such.

Tycho
12-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Well, playset or not, it should be functional for the figures, to be my taste.

It has always bothered me that there is no way for figures to board the Millennium Falcon through the boarding ramp, and then enter the cockpit. It seems to me that there was no reason to waste that space in the pilot tunnel on the toy, but instead they put that picture of the tunnel's interior on the inside there.

Many people like the Playskool Falcon for exactly that reason: they included a working tunnel on a ship 1/2 the size.

So I weaken my argument by saying you CAN do stuff smaller, but I strengthen it by saying that functionality for the figures is cool and an attribute to many's taste.

As a 1 floor hammerhead, the cockpit is functional on the Tantive IV.

As a 2-story? You'd have to take the floor out for play "below decks".

That could be cool. I mean I'd not really PLAY with the thing in the first place. I'd set up a scene and leave it, admiring it when I felt the urge to.

But I'm paying like $200 extra (one day when I can afford to) to get an extra wide display case made so that I can display the Royal Starship open, because the lower deck's space is entirely eliminated when you close the sliding-over cockpit on top of the crew-space area. In some ways it had to be done that way. I understand. But I'm not going to say I wasn't disappointed. (it's still a great toy though).

El Chuxter
12-10-2004, 03:18 PM
Normally-occurring coincidences in a story are one thing, and they don't bother me until they're really, really overdone. But retrofitting coincidences into a story (especially when negating your own backstory), like Lucas is doing, is hurting the SW saga more than helping.

There are some coincidences that would have to be in the prequels, like R2-D2 and C-3PO finding themselves in all sorts of situations where they really don't belong. (I'm talking about the characters, not their being there from a storytelling perspective.)

Darth Vader building C-3PO? I'm sorry, but that's totally ridiculous.

Darth Vader beating up Greedo? Even more ridiculous.

Darth Vader blowing up the Trade Federation Starship? That one actually works well, and adds to the character in ANH.

Boba's father being the basis of the clones? It works, and isn't too bad.

Tyrannus almost directly echoing the Luke/Vader battle from ESB? Very nice touch.

R5-D4 rolling by for no reason? Eh, too minor to affect anything.

YT1300's on Naboo? Same as R5-D4.

Boba being a clone? Really detracts from the character, IMHO, but doesn't affect the story too much.

Chewbacca in ROTS? This one has me incredibly worried. I love the character, but I can think of absolutely no way possible that Chewie could encounter Obi-Wan, Yoda, Bail, or Anakin in any way, shape, or form without seriously creating discrepancies with the OT.

And now Bail--a rich, hip King and Senator--cruising around in the same hunk of junk twenty years later? Could be minor, but carries some pretty scary possibilities. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Bail is loaded, and the Tantive doesn't have the look of a "classic." Everyone else in the galaxy has upgraded by ANH (even the Larses), so why not him?

I also heard a nasty rumor that the Executor may make an appearance. God, I hope not.

Slicker
12-10-2004, 03:35 PM
And now Bail--a rich, hip King and Senator--cruising around in the same hunk of junk twenty years later? Could be minor, but carries some pretty scary possibilities. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Bail is loaded, and the Tantive doesn't have the look of a "classic." Everyone else in the galaxy has upgraded by ANH (even the Larses), so why not him? It could be that Bail is more dedicated to the cause then his own luxuries. If the ship isn't broken don't fix it. Besides with the Alliances money funds greatly strained him buying a new ship might cause a rift between the military leaders. One new Royal Cruiser could buy dozens of Starfighters.

Kidhuman
12-10-2004, 05:08 PM
Chewbacca in ROTS? This one has me incredibly worried. I love the character, but I can think of absolutely no way possible that Chewie could encounter Obi-Wan, Yoda, Bail, or Anakin in any way, shape, or form without seriously creating discrepancies with the OT.

OK, if you think aboiut it, the only one Chewie has any real contact with is Obi-wan in the OT. We never see Bail, Chewie does not venture to Dagobah and well that leaves Anakin. As we know, ......

MAJOR SPOILER AHEAD>>>>

Anakin is Darth Vader. But can Chewie recognize him? So in reality, Chewie meeting all these peeps in the OT doesnt matter, except for Benjiman J. Kenobi.

Kidhuman
12-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Biiiiiiiiiiiiiitch...! Like how long was the "Enterprise" in service on Star Trek. Wasn't it over twenty years before The got the 1701-A?

:P

Now ya got it. :beard: :p

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-10-2004, 06:26 PM
Chux, Lucas said we shouldn't even take the deleted scenes as canon, so Anakin beating up Greedo has no influence on the real films.

OY! MINOR SPOLIERS AHEAD! (Should we really have to do that? After all, this is a thread for ROTS stuff.)

As far as I know, Chewbacca never leaves Kashyyyk in ROTS. Yoda and a few other Jedi Masters (like Luminara, I think) help the fight against the droids on the Wookiee planet, with Tarfful and Chewbacca being two of the main Wookiee characters. So really the only OT character Chewie meets is Yoda, and that's not too bad. Unless Obi-Wan decides to go pick up Yoda and take him to Coruscant, which I don't think will happen.

I was almost sort of worried about Chewie being in ROTS, but since there are hundreds of Wookiees, it makes more sense. Especially since he is good in a fight; I mean look at the OT, the dude can throw around troopers like rag dolls.

And it's not too bad for Bail to still be using that ship 20 years later, maybe he really loved it. Is he even on it anyway in ANH? I thought it was passed to Leia. If so, maybe he has an even sweeter new ride. :cool:

El Chuxter
12-10-2004, 06:52 PM
I suppose Chewie could run into Yoda, not hear his name, and never put two and two together years later when talking to Luke (offscreen, of course).

However, if Harry hears Yoda speak and years later runs into the Henderson family and doesn't recognize John Lithgow from the radio dramatizations, all movies will cease to make any sense.

Y'all raise good points about Bail pouring money into the Alliance, so I shall concur. I'll hold off judgment until I see ROTS. My fears about R5-D4 in AOTC were unfounded, after all.

However, this does not change the fact that C-3PO not knowing Vader is a major problem. Don't say the words "memory wipe." If that occurs, that will be the biggest cop-out ever on Lucas' part.

And to keep somewhat on topic, I'd love a Tantive playset. :D

Tycho
12-10-2004, 07:00 PM
You all are forgetting about a major thing: TAXES.

To keep up with the Imperial War Machine, Palpatine increased taxes like you'd never believe - all in the name of patriotism. I can't wait to see wherelese that happens :rolleyes:

Slicker
12-10-2004, 10:26 PM
However, this does not change the fact that C-3PO not knowing Vader is a major problem. Don't say the words "memory wipe." If that occurs, that will be the biggest cop-out ever on Lucas' part. If you go by EU standards the memory wipe thing is kinda bogus. If any of you purchased the new SW book "Inside the worlds of the Star Wars Trilogy" it has a detailed drawing of Ben's house during as they're watching Leia's message. The caption about 3PO shutting down reads "After seeing Anakin's lightsaber, C-3PO's protocol programming requires him to request that he shut down to protect his ex-owners' secrets." So that would lead me to believe that 1) 3PO didn't have a memory wipe and also 2) 3PO knows exactly who Anakin Skywalker is.

BTW, you all should pick up this book. It's only $20 and it's very interesting reading and very beautifully drawn.

Rocketboy
12-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Y'all raise good points about Bail pouring money into the Alliance, so I shall concur. I'll hold off judgment until I see ROTS. My fears about R5-D4 in AOTC were unfounded, after all.Maybe he kept it in good shape and now it's a freakin' sweet hotrod in the OT times (until the Empire gives it a few blasts in ANH).
Or maybe he gave it to Leia on her 16th birthday.

However, this does not change the fact that C-3PO not knowing Vader is a major problem. Don't say the words "memory wipe." If that occurs, that will be the biggest cop-out ever on Lucas' part.*POSSIBLE SPOILER?*
Well, the droids getting memory wipes of some kind was one of the very first things that Lucas let slip shortly after AOTC. I think it should be a partial wipe for the sake of security, for Luke, Leia, Padme, Obi-wan and even Anakin. This way, Artoo and Threepio retain their identities, but have no knowledge of past events.

Devo
12-11-2004, 11:27 AM
It has always bothered me that there is no way for figures to board the Millennium Falcon through the boarding ramp, and then enter the cockpit. It seems to me that there was no reason to waste that space in the pilot tunnel on the toy, but instead they put that picture of the tunnel's interior on the inside there.

Yeah but of course even if figures did have access to the cockpit via the main hold of the toy they'd have to crawl through the tunnel and then clamber into the seats which wouldn't be very realistic anyway.

We also have the AT-AT and Imperial shuttle with that problem. If only there was a cockpit hatch in the AT-AT accessing through the neck and into the back. Then again this would be a crawl for figures, not very practical, and we'd also lose the moving head play feature. While the shuttle's cockpit is open into the 'neck' its still an awkward crawl.

These kinds of issues with vehicles that have to be massively scaled down would be more forgiveable if they'd make playsets with accurate internal and external detail that can join together. I've said many times that if not the entire vehicle I'd like just a scale version of the Falcon cockpit and the heads of the AT-AT and AT-ST - these at least should be easily achievable. Who cares about 'play' incentives for kids. Appease the older collectors.

El Chuxter
12-11-2004, 05:50 PM
If you go by EU standards the memory wipe thing is kinda bogus. If any of you purchased the new SW book "Inside the worlds of the Star Wars Trilogy" it has a detailed drawing of Ben's house during as they're watching Leia's message. The caption about 3PO shutting down reads "After seeing Anakin's lightsaber, C-3PO's protocol programming requires him to request that he shut down to protect his ex-owners' secrets." So that would lead me to believe that 1) 3PO didn't have a memory wipe and also 2) 3PO knows exactly who Anakin Skywalker is.

BTW, you all should pick up this book. It's only $20 and it's very interesting reading and very beautifully drawn.

I've not picked it up yet, but was planning to. Now it's moved up on my priority list. :)

I've always theorized that they get a memory block not a wipe. Captain Antilles or Bail Organa was supposed to "turn off" the block after Leia returned with Ben (and the EU plan was that Ben would somehow get Luke to come along even if his family hadn't been killed). Since no one ever turned it off, both droids know everything but are prohibited from ever speaking it. (This jives with a rather confusing moment in Union, when C-3PO says, "When I first met Luke Skywalker, coincidentally on Tatooine, my planet of creation. . . . ")

Slicker
12-11-2004, 11:12 PM
That's actually a good theory Chux. Which would account for him thinking his last master was Capt. Antilles but wouldn't account for the little things like being at the Lars' homestead and not remembering it. Such a little detail would surely get past the memory block but I haven't had my memory wiped in some time so I've forgotten exactly how they work.:D

plasticfetish
12-12-2004, 06:28 AM
However, this does not change the fact that C-3PO not knowing Vader is a major problem. Don't say the words "memory wipe." If that occurs, that will be the biggest cop-out ever on Lucas' part.You may want a stiff drink before you see the movie if you're worried about that sort of thing. ;)

It's not hard to believe that the Tantive IV is still in service some 20 years after ROTS. So? The thing's not his most modern ship by then, but he's given it to his kid -- that's how I got a Honda Civic when I was in college.

(Heck, my current car's 40 years old this month. I'm riding in style!)

As far as a Tantive IV playset goes, YEAH... I'd love to see them make any playsets at this point. (Are there any sculptors left at Hasbro? :rolleyes: ) I don't think they'd do the entire ship though, and I don't really know how significant it is as an "action" location in ROTS. It'd still be great to get something I suppose.