PDA

View Full Version : Clone Wars Volume 1 DVD cover art & release info!

Battle Droid
12-06-2004, 08:53 PM
http://www.starwars.com/clonewars/about/news/news20041206.html

Strange that General Grievous isn't on the cover, hopefully he'll be on the cover of Volume 2.

Reefer Shark
12-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Sweet!

I cant wait for this DVD!

James Boba Fettfield
12-06-2004, 09:38 PM
Sell it for $10 and I'm sold.

Seriously, though, I better be able to find this for under $15. That price they are asking on the official site ($20) is too much. Don't get me wrong, I love the cartoon, but I cannot say if my love can justify that price.

Rocketboy
12-06-2004, 11:32 PM
I'm sure it'll be cheaper than $20 it's first week. I'm giessing $10-15.

And why release it the day after season 3 starts?
They should release it the week before.

But I guess that would make sense...

scruffziller
12-07-2004, 04:37 AM
I don't care what it costs I am getting it the first day.:)

El Chuxter
12-07-2004, 03:02 PM
There'd better be extras. I mean, there's already a commentary track by Genndy, so at least that had better be included.

Don't mind me. I'm just miffed that the Wilfred Brimley commentary for Battle of Endor never materialized.

Hellboy
12-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Pretty cool looking cover. I agree that some extras would be nice here but I'm not expecting anything beyond Genddy's commentaries. I think we'll see this retail for about $16 on sale.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-07-2004, 07:12 PM
I'll definitely get this! Nice to know Seasons I and II will be on the same set. Season III, though shorter, will be roughly about the same length in time as the first two combined, due to the extended episode length.

Next Spring is gonna be really freakin' expensive!

Kidhuman
12-07-2004, 09:46 PM
I alredy have 1-20 on DVD, so unless there are extras, I shall pass.

Rocketboy
12-12-2004, 12:28 AM
Theforce.net (http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Clone_Wars_Volume_1_DVD_Content_88284.asp) has info on the special features.

Star Wars Fan Commentary
Director Commentary
Featurette (with George Lucas)
Clone Wars Connections (7:00)
Episode III Game Trailer (3:00)
Republic Commando X-Box Demo (15:00)
Still Galleries: Posters, Sills, Sketches, Story Boards (7:00)
Electronic Press Kit (4:00) Overall, sounds pretty good - more than I figured there would be. But a fan commentary? WTF?

evenflow
12-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Awesome news, love that SEason 1 & 2 will be together, but why couldnt they do season sets for the droids and ewoks.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Those features sound sweet. So the demo can be played in the Xbox? Very cool. They should do that more often, I like how the OT DVDs had Battlefront (even though the real game is much better).

Slicker
12-12-2004, 02:52 PM
I'll no doubt get this seeing as I missed episodes 9-20. I forget why I missed 9 and 10 but the whole second season was missed because of boot camp.:mad:

I've tried downloading them but it's just not the same.

kool-aid killer
12-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Yippieee!!! Im glad that both 1 and 2 will be included in this DVD release. The extras posted sound to be interesting too, plus they help justify the possible $20 price that these may go for. These are going to make the Droids and Ewoks cartoons look crappier.

Kidhuman
12-12-2004, 09:51 PM
The extras dont do it for me, still iffy on this.

Rocketboy
12-12-2004, 11:40 PM
Those features sound sweet. So the demo can be played in the Xbox? Very cool. They should do that more often, I like how the OT DVDs had Battlefront (even though the real game is much better).I just want to know why they don't do that for us PS2 peeps. I despise X-box.

JEDIpartner
12-13-2004, 09:22 AM
Awesome news, love that SEason 1 & 2 will be together, but why couldnt they do season sets for the droids and ewoks.
The "Droids" and "Ewoks" were two different series and "Clone Wars" is one series, whether season one or season two. Plus, those two seasons form one hour of material. I think the other two series would be a two hour DVD, while not such a big thing... it's not what they had in mind.

Rocketboy
02-07-2005, 01:23 PM
The Digital Bits (http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/spinsheet020405.html#sta) has posted a review of the DVD.

Star Wars fans have long dreamed of the mythical Clone Wars - George Lucas' great, galaxy-wide conflict that every good fan knows ended the days of the Old Republic and ushered in the evil Galactic Empire. Unfortunately, we've never gotten to see it on film. It starts just as Star Wars: Episode II ends and concludes with a great opening battle in the forthcoming Episode III. However, wanting to show some of these epic events to fans, Lucas called upon the artistic talents of Genndy Tartakovsky (creator of the acclaimed Samurai Jack) to bring the action to the small screen. Having debuted on Cartoon Network in 2003 as a series of animated "micro" episodes, these first two seasons of Clone Wars depict the continuing adventures of Anakin, Obi-Wan, Mace, Yoda and the rest of the Jedi Knights, as they struggle to save the galaxy from Count Dooku and his Separatist armies.

Finally available on DVD from 20th Century Fox, the video quality of Clone Wars on disc is spectacular. Presented in full anamorphic widescreen, its colors are incredibly vibrant, and both contrast and image detail are outstanding at all times. I watched this via front projection on a 100-inch screen and it's just beautiful. Note that all 20 of the original 5-minute animated episodes (composing Seasons One and Two of Clone Wars) have been edited together for this presentation into a single long film (with credits only once each at the start and finish).

The audio isn't Dolby Digital 5.1, but you do get a surprisingly good 2.0 surround mix. It features excellent dynamic range, good overall clarity and imaging, and nicely active surrounds. It fits the images perfectly, and it's certainly better than what you heard on the original cable broadcasts.

Extras include a pair of audio commentaries with producer/director Tartakovsky. One is newly recorded and one was previously available on Star Wars.com (http://www.starwars.com/clonewars/microseries/)'s Hyperspace community. Both are good, giving you plenty of background details on the story, artwork and production. There's a short, 4-minute featurette on the making of the micro-series that appeared previously on the Cartoon Network, along with galleries of storyboards, sketches, posters and other artwork. There's also a trio of Star Wars videogame featurettes and a playable level of the Republic Commando game (just pop this disc in your Xbox). By far the best of the extras, however, are the teaser trailer for Star Wars: Episode III and the 7-minute Bridging the Saga featurette. Both are presented in anamorphic widescreen video with Dolby Digital 2.0 audio. The trailer is absolutely gorgeous looking, and the featurette includes new interviews with Tartakovsky, George Lucas and one or two of the animation staffers. Better still, Bridging the Saga features about 20 seconds of amazing footage from the space battle that opens Episode III - stuff you've definitely not seen before. If it's any indication of the film as a whole, Revenge of the Sith is going to be a helluva fun ride.

Lawrence of Arabia it's not, but Clone Wars: Volume One is great looking and a helluva lot of fun. Heck, story-wise it's better than half of what we've seen in Episodes I & II so far. Clone Wars: Volume Two (aka Season Three) begins airing on Cartoon Network in March (you'll get 5 episodes, but each will be 12 minutes long this time). Its story will lead you right into the opening scenes of Episode III (due May 19th in theaters). You can bet that both Clone Wars: Volume Two and Episode III will be on DVD as well before year is out. Don't miss any of it.
I'm so glad they put it all together as one movie, without the title at the beginning of each episode.
I though that the new Epsode III trailer was supposed to be on there, not the teaser trailer...

Kidhuman
02-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Well, if it is straight through, I might buy this one.

General_Grievous
02-13-2005, 03:05 PM
I just want to know why they don't do that for us PS2 peeps. I despise X-box.

They don't have a Republic Commando demo for PS2 because it's an Xbox-only game.

Rocketboy
02-13-2005, 11:01 PM
They don't have a Republic Commando demo for PS2 because it's an Xbox-only game.Yeah, but the OT DVD Battlefront demo was for X-Box.

So was the Riddick demo on The Chronicles of Riddick DVD.