PDA

View Full Version : Dimebag Darrell RIP

arctangent
12-09-2004, 04:59 AM
i have just heard that Dimebag Darrell and three other people were shot dead by a member of the audience at the Damageplan show in Columbus, Ohio last night and two others were seriously injured.

apparently the band were in the middle of the first number at the Alrosa Villa when an as-yet unnamed man - described by eyewitnesses as being in his early 30s wearing a blue hooded top - jumped out of the crowd and onto the stage and shot Darrell in the head at point blank range.

He then fired at the rest of the band before being tackled by venue security. He kept on shooting until police arrived and shot him dead. Of the surviving victims, one person was described as "critical" while the other was described as "fair" by the station. Several others were treated at the scene, suffering from various injuries.

i am very shocked and saddened by this. damageplan were an ok band but pantera were a fantastic group who i always hoped would set aside their differences and get back together again someday.

R.I.P. big man.

Exhaust Port
12-09-2004, 08:02 AM
My brother just emailed me and told me the news. I see that it's on CNN now.

Man, this really sucks. Pantera was the best live show I've ever seen (actually tied with White Zombie). Even though they broke up I always thought that at some point they would get back together for either another album or even a few concerts. The Pantera group was also great with the fans which isn't always the case for a lot of bands out there. I met the band years ago during a meet-and-greet when they released Far Beyond Driven. A real good group of guys.

What a way to go. I can't believe all the patting down they do before you get into a metal concert that someone with a gun could get through. I think it's amazing that only 4 people were killed in such a crowded venue.

Way to go Ohio.

evenflow
12-09-2004, 08:10 AM
Honestly this just sucks on so many levels. It sucks to lose Dimebag. Its just a tragedy that affects every band out there. I know here in the city, security it tight enough that getting a gun in woul dbe almost impossible. Security will be much tougher now, and rightfully so. It sucks that there is a black cloud over metal once again when it was on the rise. It sucks that touring may be halted, perhaps there will be no ozzfest this year. I go to so many shows because i am in the midst of the music industry and it really shocks me and pretty much makes me feel unsafe.

It was probably some crazy Pantera fan trying to make a statement. I could say so many things about this from a psychological perspective but what good would it do, it just sucks. My thoughts and prayers go out to his brother Vinnie, his best friend Zakk, and his family.

Reports continue to come in, some are syaing that the singer also died and that Vinnie Paul was also shot. Uncertain if he survived or not. These are all undonfirmed but are being reported by certain places.

Having interviewed and hung out with Zakk I know he will be flipping out. Who knows how he will react. He just signed a new deal with Artemis and has a new album to come out on March 8th.

I am really curious to see what Phil has to say. He has made so many death threats against them in the past, i'd like to hear the truth come out about how he feels now.

I think the saddest thing will be when he comes they come out and say that a Pantera reunion was int he works and everything else was a front. Now that would suck.

Lord Malakite
12-09-2004, 08:15 AM
JBF here signed on as LM since I cannot get the log out link to work:

I never cared too much for their music or the former Pantera members, but I was a bit shocked to wake up to this news. It sounds like this a** (who, thankfully, is dead and gone from this world) had a problem with the group.

Not really much else for me to say. Dimebag, like him or hate him, was important to our favorite genre of music. What's with Ohio and our inability to have a peaceful and safe show? If I remember correctly, didn't Bogarts (in Cincy, Ohio) recently have some stabbings at a show? Cradle of Filth I think was the band that night. Way to go Ohio, indeed.

Exhaust Port
12-09-2004, 08:21 AM
The odd thing is that I was in Columbus a few days ago and drove past the Newport Theater on High Street. My on lasting memory (and regret) was that I missed Pantera play there back in 1992 during their Cowboys from Hell tour. Everytime I walked or drove past the theater I always think about that missed opportunity.

So this morning when CNN mentioned that there was a shooting at a metal concert in Columbus, Pantera was the band that I thought of. Next thing I realize that it ends up being Dimebag as the victim.

El Chuxter
12-09-2004, 12:06 PM
The national news hasn't really been giving this the attention it deserves. All CNN had during the 30 minutes I watched this morning was a thing in the ticker: "'Tragedy,' sighs Ohio police officer regarding fatal shooting at a heavy metal concert."

Then I get a call from my wife who heard about it on Howard Stern but doesn't know music well enough to remember the details. And I just pull up the news and I'm rather in shock.

This is truly a sad day for music in general. The man was a fine musician. It's really a tragedy that he'll get to jam with Jimi years before his time. :cry:

2-1B
12-09-2004, 12:24 PM
This sickens me.

I've been to a few Pantera shows over the years and Dime was always fantastic. I still have a pick with his name on it, but I think it was Rex who threw that one.
I can still picture him coming out from behind the stage as the house lights were off, shining that floodlight out into the crowd to pump them up.

Terrible.

Exhaust Port
12-09-2004, 12:51 PM
It sounds like Vinnie may have been shot as well. There are 2 folks in critical condition who's ID's have been released. The one official made a comment regarding how many band members died, he said "so far" only one fatality in the band. I hope that Vinnie doesn't fall as well. That man was an outstanding drummer.

El Chuxter
12-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Coincidentally, this happened exactly 24 years after Lennon was shot and killed.

Also, there are reports that the shooter was yelling accusations about Dimebag breaking up Pantera and had no known links to any band members. That makes it even more incomprehensible and disturbing. If you get so p***ed off over a band breaking up that you'll kill one of the members, you're so disturbed that I can't even come up with words for it.

It's a shame in a way that the cops killed him. It would have been more fitting if he was locked up and beaten to death by large Pantera-loving felons as they cranked "F***ing Hostile" as loudly as the speakers would go.

Exhaust Port
12-09-2004, 02:40 PM
It is strange that it's the same day as Lennon's death.

Kidhuman
12-09-2004, 03:37 PM
WOw, heard about this on the radio this morning and WOW. R.I.P. Dimebag.

Rebo's_Guitarist
12-09-2004, 07:03 PM
This is b#llsh##, I dont even know what to say. I feel sick............

Rocketboy
12-09-2004, 08:44 PM
The whole thing is disgusting.

Yahoo (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=769&ncid=689&e=8&u=/nm/20041209/music_nm/crime_band_dc) does a bit more on what happened (I've cut it down a bit, keeping the parts about last night):

A man charged on stage and opened fire at a heavy metal band and fans at a crowded bar, killing four people and wounding two others before being killed by police, officials said on Thursday. Among the dead was "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, guitarist for the band Damageplan, who witnesses said appeared to have been singled out by the gunman and shot several times at close range.

Some witnesses told police the 25-year-old gunman, Nathan Gale of nearby Marysville, Ohio, shouted, "You broke up Pantera" before gunning down Abbott and firing at other band members and the crowd in the Wednesday night shooting.

"There was no connection between (Gale) and the band, at least formally. We do not know the motive and maybe never will. He is dead," Columbus Police spokesman Sgt. Brent Mall told reporters outside the club, the Alrosa Villa.

Gale fired more than a dozen shots both at the band and the crowd of roughly 200 patrons, at one point stopping to reload his handgun with an ammunition clip, police said.

A police officer confronted Gale as he held a hostage in a headlock and was apparently attempting to flee, Mall said. The officer, James Niggemeyer, killed Gale as the hostage, who was not harmed, struggled to get out of the way.

POLICEMAN SAVED LIVES

"We believe he saved other lives" by shooting the gunman, he said.

Two people who were wounded were taken to a hospital.

The band was playing the first song of its set when the gunman, wearing a hooded sweatshirt, charged the stage and began shouting and shooting, witnesses said. Some members of the audience initially thought the intruder might have been part of the band's act.

Kidhuman
12-09-2004, 09:06 PM
He shot him because he broke up the band. And yet Chapman didnt even touch Yoko. :confused:

JediTricks
12-09-2004, 09:29 PM
Awful. I was so shocked to see the tail end of the story on the local news, I switched to CNN Headline News because I thought I misheard and they had a quick thing up about it. Such an immense, pointless tragedy.

My mother is friends with Damageplan's singer Pat Lachman, and my mother's fiance is a major Pantera fan, both of them are devastated, and my mom is still worried about Pat since we haven't heard if he was hurt as well or not.

It still seems unbelievable.

Exhaust Port
12-09-2004, 11:05 PM
The online rumor is that Pat was the other band fatality. My thoughts and prayers to all his friends and family.

2-1B
12-10-2004, 12:57 AM
It wasn't another band member who died but rather a head of security.

From www.knac.com

http://www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=3404

DEATHS:

Damageplan Guitarist Dimebag Darrell, 38

Damageplan Head of Security Jeff “Mayhem” Thompson, 40

Nightclub employee Erin Halk, 29

Fan Nathan Bray, 23

Gunman Nathan Gale, 25

Among the injured:

Chris Paluska from Damageplan’s management company is in critical but stable condition

Cat (John Brooks) Vinnie Paul’s drum tech, is expected to be released from the hospital tomorrow.

JEDIpartner
12-10-2004, 07:49 AM
I wouldn't have known him from a bar of soap and I'd probably think their music is vile, but this is just terrible, terrible news. The local news paper read somethingto the effect of "Man wanted to make friends but didn't know how." Ummm... yeah! A gun isn't a good way of making friends. Turning it on someone who gives others pleasure and then on a couple others in the audience certainly won't win you any friends!!!

Then, even more outrageous, is some spokesperson for gun advocacy. He e-mailed a local radio station and the subject line read: "Guns save lives at Columbus nightclub: Interview opportunity for gun advocacy". IDIOT!!!! It was a gun that started this whole thing. Of course a gun saved the lives of others... that's because it was in the hands of a police officer! A gun ENDED the lives of four people before the dirtbag was brought down by the police. I'm really sorry... but people who feel they need guns should expect this sort of thing.

El Chuxter
12-10-2004, 05:58 PM
Details about the shooter are beginning to come out. As nutty as he sounds, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd asked Dimebag to autograph a copy of The Catcher in the Rye earlier in the day.

From the AP newswire, courtesy of Yahoo News (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=762&e=1&u=/ap/20041210/ap_en_mu/nightclub_shooting):

Ohio Club Shooter Obsessed With Band

By ANITA CHANG, Associated Press Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio - The man who shot former Pantera guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and three other men to death at a nightclub was obsessed with the heavy metal band and made bizarre accusations against the group, a one-time friend said.

Nathan Gale apparently believed Pantera musicians were trying to steal his identity and the lyrics to songs he had written, former friend Jeramie Brey told The Columbus Dispatch in Friday's editions.

Gale, 25, charged the stage Wednesday at a show by Abbott's new band, Damageplan, and gunned down four people including Abbott before a police officer shot him to death. Two others were wounded.

Investigators said they may never know Gale's motive. Some witnesses said he yelled accusations that the influential heavy metal guitarist broke up Pantera, but police had not verified those reports.

Brey and former friend Dave Johnson said they had become frightened by Gale's behavior and distanced themselves from him several years ago. By that time, Johnson said, Gale had begun talking and laughing to himself and once appeared to be holding an imaginary dog.

"He used to be Pantera's No. 1 fan and has liked them for as long as I've known him," Johnson told the newspaper. "After a while something happened. He just kind of snapped. He went from being a cool guy to being a guy you didn't want to be around."

Johnson said he met Gale, known as Nate, in the late 1990s through a mutual friend in their hometown of Marysville, about 25 miles northwest of Columbus. They shared a love of rock music, held jam sessions and attended concerts together.

Brey recalled that Gale once showed up at his house with some songs he had written, but the words appeared to be copied from Pantera. Gale told Brey he planned to sue Pantera over the lyrics and for stealing his identity.

An imposing figure at 6-foot-3, Gale had made people uneasy at a Marysville tattoo parlor, staring and locking them into conversations about heavy metal music.

When he played offensive line for the semi-pro Lima Thunder football team, he psyched himself up before games by piping Pantera music into his headphones, coach Mark Green said.

"He seemed like a normal guy you would meet any other day," said Anthony Bundy, 20, who lived on the same block as Gale. "He was a keep-to-yourself type of person. He was real quiet."

Hours before the shootings, Gale got into an argument with a worker at the tattoo studio over some equipment he wanted the studio to order for him. He later angrily walked out of the shop.

The worker, Bo Toler, said he thought Gale had come to the tattoo parlor because he wanted somebody to hang out with. "I just thought he was quiet. I thought he had low-self esteem because of his thick glasses," Toler said.

Gale had had minor run-ins with police since 1997 but wasn't considered a troublemaker, authorities said.
He served in the Marines in North Carolina until November 2003, when he was discharged after less than half of the typical four-year stint, Marine spokeswoman Gunnery Sgt. Kristine Scarber said. She declined to explain the discharge, citing privacy rules.

Gale's mother, Mary Clark, did not return phone messages seeking comment.

The violence at the Alrosa Villa club came just after the opening chords by Texas-based Damageplan, the band formed by Abbott and his brother, drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott, after they left Pantera. Gale dodged two band members, grabbed Darrell Abbott and shot him at least five times in the head, witnesses and police said.

In less than five minutes, Gale had also killed Erin Halk, 29, a club employee who loaded band equipment; fan Nathan Bray, 23; and band bodyguard Jeff Thompson, 40.

Two other band employees, tour manager Chris Paluska and drum technician John Brooks, remained hospitalized Friday with bullet wounds. Paluska was listed in serious condition and Brooks in good condition.

Vinnie Paul Abbott thanked fans for their support in a statement the band released Friday.

"With all his greatness and accomplishments on the guitar, DIME will be missed more for his giving personality, charisma, caring for others, love and most of all his HEART!! Twice as big as the state of TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!," Abbott said.

Our prayers continue to go out to Dimebag's loved ones, and our stereos will continue to blast Vulgar Display of Power.

Kidhuman
12-10-2004, 06:02 PM
This guy sounds like a psychopathic Schitzo. Vulgar Display of Power it is.

Exhaust Port
12-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Goes to show that it's the wacko's that ruin it for everyone else.

I wonder what would have gotten him an early discharge from the military.

2-1B
12-10-2004, 11:02 PM
Over the last few months I was on a bit of a "Reinventing the Steel" kick. "We'll Grind that Axe for a Long Time" is gonna have a whole new meaning for me now. :(

JediTricks
12-12-2004, 10:45 PM
The online rumor is that Pat was the other band fatality. My thoughts and prayers to all his friends and family.I found out where that rumor came from, the first news story to come out of Ohio said the singer was also killed, it was obviously incorrect but makes sense considering the stage layout. Yet as Caesar pointed out, nobody else in the band was hit, so it's weird how that first news story released in a relatively small area got out so quickly. Not long after my mom heard about that rumor, she went to Rob Halford's website where they had more accurate news, though they also had links to the original news story. (Pat Lachman is friends with Rob Halford, Lachman was Halford's lead guitarist up until recently, it was only Pat's quitting to work with Dimebag that Halford stopped doing his own stuff to go back with Judas Priest.)

The local news paper read somethingto the effect of "Man wanted to make friends but didn't know how." Wow, that is bonkers! What did they base this theory on, tea leaf readings?

Then, even more outrageous, is some spokesperson for gun advocacy. He e-mailed a local radio station and the subject line read: "Guns save lives at Columbus nightclub: Interview opportunity for gun advocacy". That is outright sick! Ignoring the murders of all these people simply to push a selfish agenda is disturbed. No matter which side of the fence of this issue you're on, anybody should be able to see how in this case the presence of a gun was so incredibly destructive. That one blows my mind.

JEDIpartner
12-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Yeah... the whole thing is serverely messed up, friend. It's really the whole sickening state of our nation and how the level of baseness and illness has sunk to such depths that people are so dehumanised and not compassionate at all.

Sad.

Exhaust Port
12-13-2004, 12:17 PM
Glad to hear that Pat wasn't among the shot.

Any word from Phil Anselmo regarding this incident?

JediTricks
12-14-2004, 07:30 PM
It's been days now, but it's still such a shocker to me, I sorta let it go and then it snaps back and hits me how incredibly brutal and wrong this act was... it hits hard. Check out the Damageplan.com website, lots of big names reflecting on the loss of Dimebag.

Exhaust Port
12-14-2004, 11:40 PM
I've been checking in there every day or so to see the memories left by those other musicians, still no word from Phil. It seems the bad blood he had against Darrell and Vinnie will never die even in these tough times. What a freakin' tool. I'm sure he'll regret this "inaction" later in life.

arctangent
12-15-2004, 03:32 AM
regarding words from anselmo, this was posted on the british magazine metal hammer's website:

13 Dec 2004 Former Pantera frontman Philip Anselmo has issued a short but particularly poignant statement about the untimely passing of former band mate of Dimebag Darrell.

It reads as follows:

"Darrell my brother. The best of the best. - Philip H Anselmo"

strangely enough the latest issue of said magazine has anselmo on the cover indicating 'this is the last time i speak about pantera'. in the interview he is none too kind about damageplan or dimebag and vinnie, which makes his statement as printed above rather hypocritical as far as i am concerned.

Rocketboy
12-15-2004, 07:58 AM
Blabbermouth.net has aquite a few items on Dimebag's funeral.

-Apparently at his family's request, he'll be buried in a KISS Kasket (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=30347).

-Report form the Service (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=30395) - Phil Anselmo was barred from attending the service and Jerry Cantrell of Alice In Chains and Damageplan singer Patrick Lachman reportedly performed acoustic versions of two ALICE IN CHAINS songs ("Brother" and "Got Me Wrong").

-And Phil Anslemo (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=30406) has finally spoken out about what happened:

The onstage killing of former bandmate "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott has left ex-PANTERA vocalist and north shore resident Phil Anselmo distraught and questioning his own future.

In a transcript of a videotaped statement released to the media Tuesday, Anselmo said: "People want my reaction to what happened. This is about Dimebag Darrell, purely Darrell. It's not about me or some . . . psycho that happened to destroy the most beautiful person, one of my best friends in the world."

Abbott, 38, was shot and killed Dec. 8 while performing with the hard rock band DAMAGEPLAN at a Columbus, Ohio, nightclub. Three other people, including DAMAGEPLAN's chief of security, died after Nathan Gale, 25, opened fire with a handgun. Gale was an ex-Marine and metal fan reportedly angered by the band PANTERA's breakup. He was shot and killed by a police officer responding to 911 calls.

Anselmo and Abbott spent 15 years touring the world together in PANTERA.

PANTERA didn't achieve widespread success until Anselmo, a New Orleans native, joined about 1989. PANTERA sold more than 10 million albums, collected two Grammy nominations and inspired legions of aspiring hard rock bands. But by 2002, Anselmo, Darrell Abbott and his brother Vinnie Paul Abbott, the band's drummer, had become estranged as Anselmo devoted more time to other projects.

In 2003, they confirmed that PANTERA had disbanded, as the two camps exchanged accusations in the hard rock press. Anselmo was at home on the north shore last week when Abbott was killed. As Ozzy Osbourne, Paul Stanley of KISS, Brian May of QUEEN and other rock icons memorialized Abbott, a devastated Anselmo made no public comment until Tuesday.

Anselmo's statement says that "the heavy metal media destroyed PANTERA." He laments that he "never got a chance to say goodbye (to Abbott) in the right way and it kills me, and I'm so sorry."

Anselmo traveled to Dallas for Abbott's funeral. But he ended up not attending "to respect the (Abbott) family's wishes, and they do not want me there. I believe I belong there, but I understand completely."

"I wish his family the least grief they could ever have, and I know it's impossible. Just bless his family, bless his friends. I love him like a brother loves a brother. . . . I'm so sorry to his family and everyone else who was senselessly killed in Columbus, Ohio."

His statement hints at an uncertain professional future.

"This has changed the entire world, and this is the last you'll be seeing of me for a long time."

Exhaust Port
12-15-2004, 09:33 AM
Nice comments from Phil, too bad it took this long for him to speak out. As expected he's feeling pretty crappy about how he treated Darrell and Vinnie after the breakup of Pantera. Just goes to show you can't hold grudges.

arctangent
12-16-2004, 03:58 AM
phil anselmo is a hypocrite as far as i am concerned. to quote from the interview i mentioned:

'I could kill him like a ****in' piece of vapour. He knows that. The world should know that. So physically, of course, he deserves to be beaten severely. But of course, that's criminal and I won't do such a thing.'

'I have a devoted following that would do anything for me. Anything that I say.'

perhaps he is now wishing he hadn't said the above.

Exhaust Port
12-16-2004, 09:08 AM
I'm sure he is.

2-1B
12-17-2004, 02:55 AM
Well I don't know why so many people were hanging on Phil's comments (or lack thereof) in the first place . . . the man is a drug addict, obviously, and he came very close to being the first member of Pantera to die with his past overdose(s).

As far as him talking crap about Dime, I just see that as talking stupid, something Phil is quite gifted at, as many of us have witnessed first hand at their concerts.

The part about his followers is very creepy and he surely shouldn't have said that. No offense to the majority of Pantera fans but look around at most metal shows and you're bound to be looking at a few headcases. Again, no offense because I myself have gone to several shows but come on - some of those people are not right.

I'm just still so sickened by this event. :(

Reefer Shark
12-18-2004, 12:23 PM
I was at a Slayer show last night (at Universal Amphitheater), and it was very nice to see Tom Araya pay tribute to Dimebag.

R.I.P. Dimebag - one of the most talented guitar players out there.

Exhaust Port
12-19-2004, 12:21 PM
. . . the man is a drug addict, obviously, and he came very close to being the first member of Pantera to die with his past overdose(s).
Actually he was legally dead for about 5 minutes I believe on that last big overdose a few years ago. I was always hoping that they would capitalize on that and have a "Back from the Dead" tour or something but that never happened. :)

2-1B
12-29-2004, 03:02 AM
That's right, ExP, I remember that now. Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, as much of a loon as I've found Phil to be (his ramblings in concert over the years irritated me more and more), I would have been a definite ticket-buyer for any reunion tour. I can't get enough of some of those songs.

Exhaust Port
12-30-2004, 08:37 PM
Phil's ramblings at the concerts are legendary among my friends. Man, the stuff he would say is truly baffling and funny at the same time. The best part is that most everyone in the crowd starts cheering and stuff when he says it like he actually was profound or something. All I want to do is yell "Don't cheer, you'll only encourage him." :D