PDA

View Full Version : Magneto: The Movie!!

Beast
12-13-2004, 01:55 AM
Sounds like a great idea to me. Especially given how much Patrick Stewart was wanting to know about the origins of Magneto and Xavier's friendship and the eventual downfall of it. Hope it pans out. :)

Variety reports that 20th Century Fox has set Sheldon Turner ("The Longest Yard," "The Amityville Horror," "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" prequel) to write Magneto, an action-thriller based on the villainous character played in the first two "X-Men" films by Ian McKellen.

The project marks the second extension of the studio's "X-Men" comic book franchise. The move follows a Fox deal with "Troy" screenwriter David Benioff to write Wolverine, who is played by Hugh Jackman in the films.

The studio is developing the spin-offs as they separately develop X-Men 3. Simon Kinberg is writing the third installment. Magneto will likely be produced by the "X-Men" duo of Lauren Shuler Donner and Marvel Studios' Avi Arad.

The original "X-Men" film began with a prologue that showed Magneto as a child being led to a concentration camp by Nazis, and that is the period in which the new film will take place. Since the character will be seen almost exclusively in his formative years, it is not clear whether McKellen will be in the film at all, says the trade.

"I pitched a film that is almost 'The Pianist' meets 'X-Men,' about a guy who, after watching his family slaughtered, has an awakening of his powers and seeks revenge," Turner said.

The storyline will heavily involve Professor X (played by Patrick Stewart in the films). That character was a soldier in the allied force that liberated the concentration camps. The professor meets Magneto after the war, and while they bond over the realization that they are alike in their special powers, their differences soon turn them into enemies.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rocketboy
12-13-2004, 01:31 PM
When I read the title of this topic, I thought "Ugh."
But after reading the pitch - The Pianist (amazing movie) meets X-Men - and the the plot idea, I'm all for it!
Tons of great potential there.

JediTricks
12-14-2004, 07:35 PM
Like Rocketboy, I had a negative gut reaction when I saw the thread's title, but the pitch does sound interesting enough. I can actually hear Ian McKellen's voice narrating it in my head already. Definitely a niche audience film though, if they try to go for a mainstream action film audience, they'll probably lose EVERYBODY -- that's what made the first Blade film so great, it didn't try to get all types of audiences in, it didn't go for that coveted PG-13 rating, and it worked so much better than many of the modern comic book films for it, if "Magneto" can stay true to the character, it could certianly have a chance.

El Chuxter
12-15-2004, 11:56 AM
At this rate, we'll finally get Jubilee: The Movie in, oh, say, 2194!! :crazed:

Seriously, though, this could be a very good thing. If I'm not mistaken, this is a period in Erik's life that the comics have never quite adequately covered.

And hopefully Jubilation will don the yellow trenchcoat and hang with Wolvie (who will be wearing a new brown costume) in his stand-alone movie.

Rocketboy
12-15-2004, 12:04 PM
At this rate, we'll finally get Jubilee: The Movie in, oh, say, 2194!! :crazed:
And hopefully Jubilation will don the yellow trenchcoat and hang with Wolvie (who will be wearing a new brown costume) in his stand-alone movie.A Jubilee movie? It'd probably be as good as the Jubilee comic, which since I've never read it, I'm assuming is really bad. :D

Besides, you've already had your live action, yellow trenchcoat Jubilee. Granted, it was that horrendous Generation X TV movie, but beggars can't be choosers. Plus, the X-Men movie Jubilee with her like 4.5 seconds of screen time.
:D

Back to the main topic, the more I think about it, the more potential I see in a Magneto movie. If done properly, I think it could be just as good (maybe even better), than the Wolverine movie they're developing.

El Chuxter
12-15-2004, 12:07 PM
First, there was a Generation X movie? :eek:

Second, as the biggest Jubilee fan on, well, at least this board, I can say with authority that "sucks" doesn't begin to describe her "comic" (and I use that word loosely). So much potential squandered. :(

Rocketboy
12-15-2004, 12:38 PM
First, there was a Generation X movie? :eek:Believe it and be glad you missed it.
It aired in 1996 on Fox.
See the pic below. Jubilee (Heather McComb) is the one on the bottom right in the red Addidas style shirt. Maybe she didn't wear the coat in it.
The *ahem* big names in the cast are Fiona Hughes and Matt Frewer.
IMDB (http://imdb.com/title/tt0116401/) has the entire cast.

But it still cound not have been worse than the Nick Fury TV movie that Fox did with Hasslehoff.

Hellboy
12-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Oh yeah that made for television Gen X movie was a real stinker. I actually forgot it even existed, which is a good thing.

As far as this Magneto pic goes I like the idea but if 20th Century Fox is going to start doing spin-off movies of the X-Men characters I think there are other charcters that would prove far more interesting. If they're set on doing a prequel of sorts I'd rather see something along the lines of the Summers brothers story and how Xavier's school was first developed. This would also satisfy my need to see Havok on film. :D

Beast
12-17-2004, 08:41 PM
If they're set on doing a prequel of sorts I'd rather see something along the lines of the Summers brothers story and how Xavier's school was first developed.
Well, if it's a prequel that involves Magneto and Charles, it would include the formation of the school. Since Xavier and Magnus did start up the school together originally.:)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
12-17-2004, 09:23 PM
Yeah you might be right about seeing the schools formation. Based on the write-up in this weeks Entertainment Weekly I suppose its possible but unfortunately it seems we won't be seeing any younger versions of the X-Men since they wouldn't have been born yet.

"It's going to take place from 1939 Auschwitz up to 1955 or so," says writer Sheldon Turner of his just-announced "period" prequel to Fox's X-Men franchise. An exploration of villain Magneto's "psychological roots," Turner's script will also shed light on the youthful mutant's friend-then-nemesis Charles Xavier. Just don't look for Ian McKellen, 65, to get his helmet on.

darthvyn
12-19-2004, 05:53 PM
maybe we'll see other mutants around the 1955 era... and maybe even wolvie. supposedly (according to some dialogue in the first x-men...) erik and charles both have known about logan in the past... hmmmmm....

and maybe we'll see marty mcfly, as well!

Rocketboy
12-19-2004, 08:23 PM
maybe we'll see other mutants around the 1955 era... and maybe even wolvie. supposedly (according to some dialogue in the first x-men...) erik and charles both have known about logan in the past... hmmmmm....That would be possible, since in the first X-Men movie they say Logan could be older than Xavier, but it would be overkill, IMO. Let Logan have his own movie. He doesn't need to be the focus of EVERYTHING X-Men related.

Rocketboy
01-13-2005, 03:43 PM
Found a bit more on the Magneto movie on SuperheroHype (http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=2458):

XMenFilms.net has posted quotes from Magneto screenwriter Sheldon Turner which appeared in a recent issue of Entertainment Weekly:

Turner's intent for the film is to examine Magneto's "psychological roots". The plot will also deal with the character's friendship turned sour with Charles Xavier. The man who went on to form the team known as the X-Men.

"It's going to take place from 1939 Auschwitz up to 1955 or so," says Turner. With that in mind, that would make the film, MAGNETO a 'period prequel' to the X-MEN movies.

Since a major bulk (if not all) of the film will take place during this period, it is doubtful that actor Sir Ian McKellen will return for the film, though there are still possible ways of having the actor in portions of the film. The film will chronicle the character's early life, and what turned him against humans.

evenflow
01-14-2005, 01:34 PM
I am really not feeling this film at all. I just wish they would stop these spin offs for now and work on X3

Tycho
01-16-2005, 03:54 PM
This is a great idea and I'm looking forward to it.

It could even be a WWII movie in a lot of ways.

Since Logan was a soldier, he could have served with Charles and just not remember it since his past is a mystery to him.

Question for harder-core fans: was Charles always paralyzed? Or will he be injured during the war?

Man this could be deemed an Academy-Award winning "art piece," even if they use the same X-men cast (in so far as Jackman, Stewart, and McKellan for the scenes he can do or narrate).

Rocketboy
01-16-2005, 11:11 PM
Since Logan was a soldier, he could have served with Charles and just not remember it since his past is a mystery to him.

Question for harder-core fans: was Charles always paralyzed? Or will he be injured during the war?I'm pretty sure Xavier was able to walk earlier in his life.
And I really hope they don't include Logan. I hope it's just Erik and Charles. There is no reason for Logan to be in there, especially when he's getting his own movie also.

Beast
01-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Xavier lost his legs long before he formed the X-Men:

616: Xavier lost the use of his legs battling the villian known as Lucifer in Isreal. Lucifer was an advance alien scout for his people who were plotting an invasion of earth. In retaliation for being defeated Lucifer crushed Xavier's lower body with a massive stone block which crippled his legs. He was found by Tessa/Sage, who would become his plant in the Hellfire Club.

Ultimate: Xavier had grown more concerned about Erik's increased anti-human sentiment. They argued constantly and finally Xavier had enough and tried to leave the Savage Land where they had set up a paradise for mutants. While leading others who felt the same off the island Magneto struck, driving a metal pole thru Xavier's back. Xavier survived but without the use of his legs.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
01-17-2005, 02:59 PM
I like the 2nd scenerio JarJar posted better - as aliens haven't been introduced in the movie franchise. But having Charles injured during WWII and somehow intertwined with Erik's life would also be interesting.