PDA

View Full Version : Original 12/20/21backs AFA graded 85 Sets?

darthCDitty
12-14-2004, 07:39 PM
Anyone out there have the original 12/20 or all 21(including Fett) graded AFA 85+? and if so which was the hardest to come by and if not which ones are you looking for? For me the hardest ones to come by were the 20/21 back Power Droid and Walrus Man..... I think the 12back Chewbacca is pretty tough to find to.....

Kidhuman
12-14-2004, 08:51 PM
I have not ventured down this path yet. I will eventually get into it, but I dont think I will go the graded path. Prices seem to get too high for graded stuff. think a 12 back vinyl caped Jawa would be the hardest to come by graded or ungraded.

Slicker
12-14-2004, 08:59 PM
I recall just recently seeing an AFA 80 or 85 Vinyl Jawa up for bids starting at $3,000. Kinda steep but if it's real that's not bad. Relatively speaking.

JON9000
12-14-2004, 09:12 PM
I don't think you'll be seeing a lot of this stuff ungraded in the future. It drives the price up so people will do it more and more. I've thought about getting some of my key comics graded.

LusiferSam
12-15-2004, 12:04 AM
think a 12 back vinyl caped Jawa would be the hardest to come by graded or ungraded.
I'm not a carded collector, loose is the only way to go. But I agree with kidhuman about the vinyl capped Jawa and would add that the 12 back double telescope Luke is also pretty rare. From everything I've heard from the serious carded collectors AFA grading is just a gimmick. So you might better off without it if your having trouble finding the Chewie, Power Droid, and Walrus Man you want (only then you have to learn all about fakes and recards).

Slicker
12-15-2004, 12:57 AM
Not to pry into your personal life too much but I saw in your profile that you have an AFA 85+ 21 Back Boba Fett. Do you mind if I ask how much you paid if you bought aftermarket? Or were you just that damn lucky to have gotten it as a kid and not played with it. Fat chance of that but who knows.

darthCDitty
12-15-2004, 11:29 AM
I paid $1900 for it on ebay a while back... Unpunched.....
I don't have any of the variations like the Double telescoping or the vinyl caped jawa, just the normal ones.... When i was looking for the Power Droid, i did purchase 2 of what the sellers claimed to be "C9+" condition and when i recieved them, they were somewhere between C7-C8.... If you are a serious collector, then purchasing graded ones are the way to go, and it may sound expensive, but think about all the money you spend on the new stuff, spending $7-$15 for new POTC that in 6 months will be worth $2-$4.... Different strokes for different folks....

Slicker
12-16-2004, 12:23 AM
That price isn't that bad (relatively speaking) considering that it's almost 30 years old and looks better than figures that were put on the shelf yesterday. I myself don't look for AFA graded figures exclusively but if I happen to see one that's almost the same price as one that's not graded I'll place a bid on that particular figure. I realize that the vintage figures aren't gonna be in case fresh condition and if I'm gonna have to get a bad apple once in a while then so be it.

darthCDitty
12-16-2004, 01:36 PM
Right, very fair price.. I was willing to pay upto $2500, only because it was unpunched... The seller had second thoughts at the end and tried to out bid me with one of his other ebay user id's, but there wasn't enough time left and I ended with on top for $2500.... then he emails me an invoice with the wrong ebay user id and I knew something was up... So I advised him that I would let ebay know what he was doing and he offered to let it go for $1900 if I would not email ebay... I had purchased a couple of other figures from this seller before (Solo Large head and Skywalker AFA 85 12backs)... and agreed at $1900.. I couldn't really blame him, its a figure that doesn't come around very often, although there is an AFA 85 punched version on ebay now, but I think the seller is looking for $2000+ for the figure....

An AFA 85 graded figure generally has no real noticible damage to either the bubble, card or figure... its when you get into AFA 80 or below is when you will start to see bubble damage, creasing or sticker residue....

jjreason
12-20-2004, 12:55 PM
One of my personal peeves is yellowed bubbles. How would an otherwise perfet figure's grade be affected by yellowing on the bubble?

Kidhuman
12-20-2004, 10:30 PM
Dunno JJ. To me there is no way to stop that. I should not affect the grade in any way

Slicker
12-21-2004, 11:56 AM
I don't think it affects the grade itself but when they put the marking on the sticker it might say AFA 85 Y-NM or something like that standing for AFA 85 Yellow (as in bubble) Near Mint.

LusiferSam
12-21-2004, 01:05 PM
Dunno JJ. To me there is no way to stop that. I should not affect the grade in any way
Your right about there's no way to stop it, but I think it should have an affect on the grade. Most carded collector want cards that are in the best shape. The grade of the piece should reflect the condition of the card. By the same token, most carded collected would rather have a clear bubble rather than a yellowed. The grade should also reflect that. I'm kind of talking out my (you know) because I'm a loose collector, but if AFA doesn't work that way its a bigger joke than I thought.

darthCDitty
12-21-2004, 01:32 PM
Yellowing of the bubble does effect the grade of the figure in the sense that AFA will only add a Y before the overall grade (eg Y-85)... Yellowing is not very common with the Star wars series, but very common with the ESB/ROTJ and POTF figures... I myself won't purchase a yellowed figure, it is just doesn't dispay very well....

jjreason
12-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. I don't have any vintage carded figures, but was curious as I have a POTF B-Wing pilot card with the coin still in that little part of the bubble. I bought it on a whim, and the bubble was pretty yellow - which suprised me. As a fan of comics, I assumed everyone knew that UV light would cause plastic (as well as paper) to turn colours. I don't know what else could be to blame for these yellow bubbles, stormtrooper arms and R2 stickers. Any other causes of this known?

Kidhuman
12-21-2004, 10:11 PM
Niccotine, yellows everything JJ

LusiferSam
12-21-2004, 10:16 PM
Kenner changed the type of plastic they used in their bubbles with the ROTJ and POTF lines. POTF bubbles are highly susceptible to yellowing and difficult to find clear. It's been my experience that people complain less about yellowing of SW and ESB bubbles than ROTJ and POTF bubbles.