PDA

View Full Version : Will you be giving or getting any Star Wars gifts this holiday?

JediTricks
12-14-2004, 07:07 PM
With the holiday season's big finale fast approaching, several different areas of collectibles from toys to prop replicas, and Lucasfilm advertising the Star Wars Original Trilogy DVD set as the perfect gift, this week's poll asks whether you will be giving any Star Wars gifts or are expecting any yourself. Next year is the release of the last Star Wars movie so the next holiday season will probably be swamped with Star Wars merchandise, but in some ways that makes this year all the more unique for Star Wars fans because there isn't a torrential flood of product yet there is plenty to be given and received.

Obviously, a lot of folks don't know for sure what presents they're receiving, and some of us still aren't sure what we are getting others, so when you vote, just vote with your best guess.

bobafrett
12-14-2004, 07:39 PM
I have already purchased several of the VOTC action figures fore my godchild. She is 5, and really likes the Episode IV A new hope movie. As far as getting any Star Wars gifts, I seriously doubt I will get any gift, let alone a Star Wars gift. My son is giving me a C.D. rack he built in wood shop.

Does it count if you buy the gift for yourself? If that's the case, then I celebrate Christmas almost everyday.

Kidhuman
12-14-2004, 07:40 PM
I got my stepson the Vader case w/ two figures and 6 others, so thats what I am giving. And to boot, the Fett from the Vader case is the variant w/ no shoulder emblem. I also have a few lay-a-ways out there, so I told my parents and wife to pick them up for me. Plus my wife is giving me some money that will be stashed away for Midnight Madness, the extended Christmas present is the best.

Slicker
12-14-2004, 08:07 PM
I damn well better be getting SW toys for Christmas or I'll be truly ********. That's all that I told people to buy me.:D

On the giving thing. I've bought tons of SW to give as gifts for others. For my oldest brother I bought the Holy Trilogy, Chewie Unleashed, and the Tusken Unleashed. I also bought SW gifts for two other people but I can't say what they are because they may read it. (Yes Rocketboy I bought you something Star Wars.)

Kidhuman
12-14-2004, 08:19 PM
I also bought SW gifts for two other people but I can't say what they are because they may read it. (Yes Rocketboy I bought you something Star Wars.)

AM I the other person?

Slicker
12-14-2004, 08:23 PM
You can be. I think I dropped something off in the toilet that looks an awful lot like Jabba.;)

Sorry KH. Maybe next year.:cry:

BTW, it's for my brother.

Kidhuman
12-14-2004, 08:24 PM
I think I will pass on that one. :beard:

DeadJedi
12-14-2004, 09:45 PM
I've had at least one Star Wars Christmas gift every year since the seventies, and it won't stop now. It's not Christmas without Star Wars! But I think this year I will need to buy my own because my wife flatly refuses and my daughter is only 2. I've already got that covered, but I can't tell myself what I am buying because it will ruin the surprise.

LusiferSam
12-14-2004, 10:43 PM
I should be receiving SW gifts. I really don't know any fans (or collectors) to whom I give gifts to (maybe my sister's boyfriend, but he isn't not on my list). Only SW gifts I should be receiving are Lego sets. I space my Lego purchases out because it one the few items my family can easily find. Its pretty rare for me to ask for non Lego items or the occasional book. Friends and family just can't find the stuff, so why ask for. And one final thought, I better not be getting the DVDs.

dindae
12-15-2004, 02:20 AM
I space my Lego purchases out because it one the few items my family can easily find.

I do the same. The fact that I can't afford to throw down $100 everytime they want to release a cool set helps too. ;) I got a few of the miniatures from WOTC that I didn't have as early gifts. Mainly my girlfriend buys me stuff the rest of my family don't encourage me. I also have a friend who used to collect that might pick up the odd thing for me. But most of the time it is something I already have and I have to act pleased because I would like to recieve more Star Wars gifts. The worst part is that it is never figures you want to get extras of like Stormtroopers it's usually Jar Jar with his tongue sticking out or heaven forbid commtech Han! :D

plasticfetish
12-15-2004, 03:26 AM
Giving? Yes, the kid's getting a bunch of stuff. Getting? Heck, I dunno... maybe. :confused:

OC47150
12-15-2004, 07:27 AM
I've bought the Droids DVD for my niece and nephew, and my niece is getting the original trilogy storybooks (for beginning readers) and some loose figures.

I'm hoping Santa will bring me a 12" VOTC Boba Fett.

mtriv73
12-15-2004, 08:39 AM
I know of 2 figures that a person in my family picked up for me and has said they'll be stocking stuffers (I just hope she doesn't bend the cards!) Other than that, I can't find anything to give or receive. New figures are gone around here as soon as they are put on the shelves.

Rocketboy
12-15-2004, 11:56 AM
I also bought SW gifts for two other people but I can't say what they are because they may read it. (Yes Rocketboy I bought you something Star Wars.)Why am I not surprised? :D Actually, I haven't bought anyone anything Star Wars this year.
I put down only recieving (I hope!), there's still time. There doesn't seem to be too much new/interesting stuff out there this year that hasn't been rotting on shelves for 6 months.

No change that, I did get something for someone, but I didn't buy it.
And no I didn't steal it!
It was free.

Ji'dai
12-15-2004, 03:32 PM
I don't collect DVDs or movies like many of you, but this year has seen the release of many titles that I wanted. So that's what I asked for this christmas. I know I'll be getting the Star Wars OT & TV shows, plus Buffy Season 7 and the LOTR extended versions trilogy.

I usually ask for Star Wars LEGO too but the sets I need are the expensive ones only available online or in the catalog. I'm not so cruel that I ask family to hunt figures I don't have.

No one in my family collects Star Wars or I'd be happy to get them some of the hard to find stuff when I come across it.

scruffziller
12-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Just giving away the DVD set.

General Warpig
12-16-2004, 04:56 AM
For my thirtieth birthday my wife bought me the OTC falcon, unfortunaetley i was taken very ill and still am suffering from some infection to the brain, this would tend to make cristmas somewhat of a downer....
... fortunately i am looking forward to christmas because i have found the hidey place my wife keeps the pressies at and there i have spied five figures from the EP3 OTC transistion wave, the OTC funky blue and red y-wing and would you beleive it all twelve of the VOTC figures. Not bad for an adult's christmas stocking! God, you've gotta' love being married!!!

marty fett
12-16-2004, 07:06 AM
I've managed to get hold of all 8 of the new post-OTC figures.So come Christmas morning I'll be a very happy dude.

jedi master sal
12-16-2004, 09:12 AM
I gave 20 figures, two OTC ships and 2 packs of Galactic Stormtroopers to my local Toys for Tots, this year. Also, in my local Fanforce (city fanclub chapter of TF.N) we have a secret Santa every year. So I'll be giving and receiving for that.

My fiancee has bought me three video games. One of which I know if KOTOR II.

We also went to a local Toy show, here in Pittsburgh. There she bought me (as an early Christmas gift):
Dooku mini Saber
Maul Mini Saber
Vintage Ewok Village(just missing one railing)

All in all, it's great Christmas for me so far.

-Sal

JediTricks
12-16-2004, 09:00 PM
I've had at least one Star Wars Christmas gift every year since the seventies, and it won't stop now. It's not Christmas without Star Wars! But I think this year I will need to buy my own because my wife flatly refuses and my daughter is only 2. I've already got that covered, but I can't tell myself what I am buying because it will ruin the surprise.Get the kid some Galactic Heroes sets, she's the right age for them, the Falcon and X-wing are out now on shelves (or hit KB and get the original Playskool releases of 'em, that Falcon is the same including price except it came with a Stormtrooper, and the original X-wing had Vader but no electronics). There's also Jedi Force, though she might be too young, not sure what the age group on that line is.

Sadly, I appear to be neither giving nor receiving any SW gifts this year, but that's not a big deal to me, though I wish I had enough room to ask for the Lego Falcon. I wish KB still had those Saga 4packs on clearance though, last year they made great charitable donations once the sets were broken back up into individually-carded figures.

Kyle Katarn
12-16-2004, 11:02 PM
I will be receiving star wars gifts, but I'm not gonna give...I don't know anybody who collects figures.

kool-aid killer
12-17-2004, 04:04 PM
I chose "Im not giving or getting any Star Wars gifts" because the only thing i told my parents to buy me Star Wars related was the Sandcrawler, but i doubt they did. There really isnt anybody else in my family whos a big fan either so i wont be buying anything Star Wars related for them.

Hellboy
12-17-2004, 07:52 PM
I voted that I "wouldn't be giving or receiving any SW gifts this holiday season."

My family pretty much knows when it comes to SW I usually buy everything I want when it comes out and have a limited amount of patience in aquiring my wants so they usually don't even try. Although I was surprised with a Master Replicas Vader saber last year so who knows maybe they have something else planned but I doubt it.

As far as giving goes the only people I know who would appreciate SW paraphernalia would be a select group of friends and over the years we've pretty much agreed not to buy each other gifts during the holiday so that rules out the giving aspect.

aceguide
12-22-2004, 02:20 PM
With an 8 year old ultimate fan I am definitely giving - LOTS! So in a way I get too! Also sending my brother the trilogy DVD.

stillakid
12-22-2004, 04:23 PM
I asked Santa for the DVD set this year. :)

My kids are getting some Galactic Heroes stuff.

Plus I've decided to give away a bunch of my recent "repacks" to a Toys for Tots.

jjreason
12-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Both, but I wasn't sure about the "getting" until yesterday (well, I knew I was "getting" a Cantina pack from my kids, but I put that aside for them to give me).

Gave - each of my kids a Galactic Heroes 2 pack in their stockings.

Got - the Cantina pack, along with some very nice "original art" by my daughter; Jodi (my wife) framed 3 different pictures of Princess Leia she had drawn over the last couple of years to show the progression in her drawing ability. I've already hung it down by my computer, it's fantastic!!! :cool:

El Chuxter
01-04-2005, 02:01 PM
I didn't expect to give or receive SW. Two of my brothers-in-law asked for the Trilogy. . . after I'd already got them other stuff because I thought they weren't interested. So no giving.

But as for receiving, my wife completely surprised me with the CDs of the ANH and ESB radio dramas, so my collection is now complete. . . at least until NPR gets on the ball and does a TPM radio drama.

OC47150
01-04-2005, 02:13 PM
I remember running home from school to hear ANH on the radio. Don't think I heard the complete series. I might have to pick that up.

I received the 12" VOTC Luke and Boba Fett, and my folks surprised me with a Master Replica Darth Vader lightsaber. Wasn't expecting that at all!