PDA

View Full Version : The Aviator

plasticfetish
12-21-2004, 01:43 AM
Well, it's only been 30 minutes since I saw the film, and it's still a little "fresh" in my mind to be totally objective, but I'd have to say that I think it was fantastic. I think DiCaprio did an amazing job. I think Cate Blanchett was outstanding. The film looked great, the story was super -- it kept me interested, entertained and emotionally involved from start to finish.

The film was excellent. Anyone else see it?

JEDIpartner
12-21-2004, 08:07 AM
I'm sure it's a great film, but I despise DiCrappio and his squidgy face, so I will be passing on it.

Exhaust Port
12-21-2004, 09:55 AM
I haven't seen it yet but I'm really looking forward to it. I believe it's only in limited release on the east and west coast so the rest of us will have to wait for it to show around us.

plasticfetish
12-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it goes nationwide on X-mas.

I'm sure it's a great film, but I despise DiCrappio and his squidgy face, so I will be passing on it.You know honestly, I have the same reservations about DiCaprio, (mind you, this comes from a guy that still hasn't seen Titanic) but I figured Martin Scorsese hasn't let me down yet, so I'd give the film a chance. That, and the subject matter is really interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if DiCaprio pulls an Oscar for this one.

Rocketboy
12-21-2004, 02:08 PM
I'm interested, but not hyped for it. I'm sure I'll catch it sooner or later.
Leo is either a bad actor or makes bad movies. He was good in The Basketball Diaries and Catch Me If You Can, but I haven't even been remotely impressed with every other movie I've seen him in.

JEDIpartner
12-22-2004, 09:41 AM
I sat through Titanic with my mom and the two of us thought he was terrible in it. He acted like a spoilt child of the 90s in period clothing. Completely unbelieveable. Neither of us actually liked the film and couldn't wait for it to be over. The only part either of us felt any emotion towards was when the ship was sinking and you saw the old couple holding each other in bed and mom with her kids. *shrug*

I would have been quite thrilled had I been in the theatre where a friend's sister and her pal started singing "It's Raining Men" when the boat tipped up and the people started falling towards the water! :p

Mandalorian Candidat
12-22-2004, 11:40 AM
I sat through Titanic with my mom and the two of us thought he was terrible in it. He acted like a spoilt child of the 90s in period clothing. Completely unbelieveable. Neither of us actually liked the film and couldn't wait for it to be over. The only part either of us felt any emotion towards was when the ship was sinking and you saw the old couple holding each other in bed and mom with her kids. *shrug*
:p

How ironic is it that LdiC was ragging on Lucas and Raimi for the Anakin and Spider Man roles and that they were total crap. I can't take him seriously for anything due to his innate smarminess. Tobey Maguire may be a total weenie and Hayden C. may be trying too hard to be a decent actor but they blow Leo away, IMO.

Rocketboy
12-22-2004, 01:16 PM
How ironic is it that LdiC was ragging on Lucas and Raimi for the Anakin and Spider Man roles and that they were total crap. I can't take him seriously for anything due to his innate smarminess. Tobey Maguire may be a total weenie and Hayden C. may be trying too hard to be a decent actor but they blow Leo away, IMO.The Peter Parker/Spider-man character is actually very well developed and believable and Tobey was perfect casting. I think Leo's just holding a grudge.
As for Hayden, I think he's a really good actor. I thought he was great in in Shattered Glass and Life as a House.
No, he isn't that great in Star Wars, but try and find someone who is. :D

plasticfetish
12-23-2004, 01:09 AM
How ironic is it that LdiC was ragging on Lucas and Raimi for the Anakin and Spider Man roles and that they were total crap. I can't take him seriously for anything due to his innate smarminess. Tobey Maguire may be a total weenie and Hayden C. may be trying too hard to be a decent actor but they blow Leo away, IMO.He is smarmy, and it is a bit hard to take most of the time, but I think he had a decent point about the characters not being very well developed in both AOTC and Spiderman 1. I think Tobey Maguire happens to be really great though, and he's a guy that really cares a lot about that role. Enough to go above and beyond what may be a weak(ish) script, to build that character into something really special. Come around to Spiderman 2, and the whole thing's developed perfectly. As for Hayden Christensen, well... I think he's done very well with very little. I also think that similarly, he's recognized that it's gonna be a huge accomplishment if he can take a weakly scripted character, and turn it into something memorable. In other words, he needed the job more than Leo DiCaprio did, so he was willing to take some risks.

I'm not going to read it like Leo didn't want to do Star Wars or Spiderman because he hates Star Wars and Spiderman. I'm reading it more like Leo didn't need to take any huge career risks at this point, and frankly both films had the potential to completely or partially bomb.

Turbowars
12-26-2004, 12:27 PM
The movie was excellent and will win something down the line. DiCaprio, is a great actor. He was over looked in Gilbert Grape and Catch Me If You can. Strange how some of you will pass on a film because you don't like how someone looks.:stupid:

Turbowars
12-26-2004, 12:40 PM
but they blow Leo awayYou can't be serious.lol

JON9000
12-28-2004, 06:56 PM
I'm sure it's a great film, but I despise DiCrappio and his squidgy face, so I will be passing on it.
After Titanic, I was pretty put off by DiCaprio.

However, he was daggone good in Catch Me if You Can (which I thought was wonderful). And why don't you give the kid some credit, after Titanic, he could have done tons of big paycheck blockbuster crap like Affleck did and wound up a poker dork.

Instead, he did some really fine work in really good "smaller" movies (the Beach notwithstanding).