PDA

View Full Version : jt! you still need this?

good shot jansen
08-20-2001, 11:50 AM
the buy it now price (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1627935541) is pretty much at srp!

SWAFMAN
08-20-2001, 05:39 PM
... someone needs to be smacked!!! That is an insult. I know it is no use pining for days gone by, but remember these were going for about $3.95 at TRU a year ago. :mad:

oh well..... I really have little right to argue with someone willing to overpay. I have certainly done so, myself.

JediTricks
08-21-2001, 03:45 AM
Thanks GSJ! I bid on it, but I'm kinda strapped right now, and I literally couldn't afford the extra $5 it would have cost me to BIN thanks to my paypal account and the pittance I have on the card attached to said paypal account, so I just bid as much as I could afford with that crazy shipping price.

My feeling ultimately is, there will be others, if someone else would rather shell out extra for shipping AND the price of outbidding me, then they will be getting the even-shorter end of the stick. ;) However, I will pay $17 for it if I have to, I guess.

good shot jansen
08-21-2001, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
crazy shipping price.

it wouldn't be the 1st time i steered someone to a reasonably priced item which included crazed shipping. :mad:

Originally posted by swafman
these were going for about $3.95 at TRU a year ago.

really? i never saw these for that price. if i had, i would have picked up a couple, a squadron of batlle damaged snowspeeders would have been so cool!

when these things were originally released (along with the yavin and deathstar playsets), the hoth one was never around in great quantities to begin with.

I remeber that i had to hunt around quite a bit before i found one for mason.

i only posted about this auction, cause it's the 1st one i'd seen in a long time where the buy it now was less than 29.99.

shinakuma43
08-21-2001, 11:24 PM
I noticed an auction a little toom late. It had all three playsets and it ended at I believe 18.51. The wording in the title could have been better, and if it was it probably would have gone a little higher.

I never saw them for 3.95 either. I remember getting the Yavin Playset and Death Star for 4.97 each and later seeing them for 1.97 but never for 3.95. At the time one of my local KBs still had a couple Yavin Plasets for 19.99 left over from a couple years ago. I wonder if KB ever lowered the prices on them. I did get 2 Hoth Playsets at TRU for 1.97 each. It was about a year ago and they were all over the place and no one seemed to be looking for them otherwise I would have picked up extras.

The Hoth Playset is my second favorite, Yavin is the best and the Death Star pretty much sucks IMO. I still wish Battle packs and Playsets were made to go with each other. Most of the BPs are Tatooine and Endor related and there isn't a playset for either of them. The only BPs that can be used with the current playsets are 13, 14, 17, and 18, and a few figures from the remaining 14 BPs. It would be nice to have a Jabba's Palace, Mos Eisly, and Endor Battle Playsets. I know I'd buy them.

Later,
S43

good shot jansen
08-22-2001, 11:15 AM
of the three, the yavin set offers the greatest playability, and thus is mine (and masons) favorite as well. the deathstar on the other hand does not whatever you said it does ;), imho. it's a cool base when staging battles. being that it's a battle station in space, there's not a lot of real estate on the outside to conduct frontal assaults ;), but of the three, it folds and compacts the nicest for takin' it on the road. due to that, it's a regular companion on our road trips. we leave the yavin base at home cause of all the exposed shrubery and stuff, which could get easily lost along the way! additionally, of the three, this one translates the best with micro machines. the other two have too many items scattered about whic does not work in scale with the mm's, however, a fleet of tie fighters, bombers, and a coule of landing craft thrown in look really cool on the polished black floor.

i would have loved a bespin af playset, oh well, maybe they'll git around to it as a classic af in the near future. (they did say that they were planning on splitting up the new af's 40-60 between new and classic, right?)

JediTricks
08-23-2001, 12:36 AM
GSJ, Yavin came out after the DS and Hoth playsets. It's the only one I bought at retail. I bought the DS one at the big TRU sale for $5 or something, but the only time I saw the Hoth set, I was broke at the time. Anyway, I won the auction at $9.99, so I'm cool with that.

I kinda like the Death Star. It's the weakest of the 3, but it's still not too bad IMO. The landing bay is fun to play with, and Vader's meditation chamber is cool (I had to grease it up to work right though).

Yavin is easily my favorite though, because it has the door and the sliding X-wing lever and just a lot of good stuff.

good shot jansen
08-23-2001, 07:51 AM
it is well worth owning. everything about the three playsets is top notch! the particularly cool features with hoth are obviously the battle damaged snowspeeder, but also, the damaged action fleet at-at that is laying just outside the base with opening cargo area and cockpit! the bacta tank with 2-1b included for medical emergencies is great. one of the best thought out features are the at-st foot prints that are all over the front of the base, and if you take the chicken walker from either the landspeeder two pack, or bp#2, the chicken walker fits perfectly into any of the foot prints available. in fact, this is almost the only way to dosplay the at-st without it drunkenly tipping over!

even though you ended up paying 17 samolians, it's still a good deal. i bought the set from tru back in 97, and paid 15 + tax fer it!

enjoy it!

vulcantouch
08-23-2001, 11:36 AM
. . .that an often-successful gambit for avoiding excessive s&h fees is to contact seller before auction end thusly:
"am considring bidding on your auction but am wondering if you'd be willing to ship it to me for (whatever seems realistic), as in my experience it should cost less than that for an item of this size & weight from your location to mine, and i like to save $$ on shipping. thanks, i'll wait to hear" :)
if they agree, you have it in writing and can hold them to it. if they don't, you've sent a discouraging message from buyers everywhere that trying to sneakily pad one's profit margin with "handling" fees (hooray to sellers who rightly consider "handling" and packing materials part of the cost of doing biz :) ) will sometimes be a deal-breaker :)
vt
np: akira senju, Mystery Of Rampo score

JediTricks
08-24-2001, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the review GSJ. I played with a buddy's Hoth playset when it first was released, it was fun, but at that time, I was far too broke for that sort of thing.

VT, thanks for the advice. I didn't feel like grappling with that dude over it at that time, if I had seen the auction a day earlier, it'd probably be different and I'd have made him agree to exact shipping.

JediTricks
09-07-2001, 06:47 AM
GSJ, I finally got my Hoth playset today (actually a week ago, but it took me a while to pick it up from my mail place) and when I looked at the pic again, the 2-1B had indeed come loose from the twisty tie, but I panicked for a sec when I picked it up because the window was slashed right in the middle. However, I stopped freaking and shook the set upside down, and there was the little droid pal, hiding behind some display packaging, so it's all good.

So, thanks again GSJ!!!