PDA

View Full Version : Best/worst movies of 2004

Rocketboy
12-22-2004, 09:42 PM
It's that time of year agian when all the best and worst of the year lists start coming out, so I thought I'd start one for us.

There are a handful I have yet to see (Closer, Ocean's Twelve, Meet The Fockers, Man of Fire, and a few others), so my lists could change.

Your 10 favorite movies of 2004?

Mine:
10. The Bourne Supremacy - Worthy sequel to The Bourne Identity. Matt Damon further proves he can be an action star.
9. Anchorman - Will Ferrell elivers yet again. Perhaps funnier in this one than he was in Old School.
8. Fahrenheight 9/11 - Michael Moore does a great job at showing how inept Bush is (no matter how biased the film is at times).
7. Collateral - Tom Cruise in on a roll in my book. I was never much of a fan until The Last Samurai and now this. Jaime Foxx was also surprisingly good.
6. Napolean Dynamite - This may be a bit high on the list, due to it's freshness in my mind, but this feels to be a highly quoteable instant cult classic.
5. Miracle - Hocket rarely works this well on any screen, big or small. Good to see one of the United State's greatest sports moments immortalized on the big screen.
4. Spider-man 2 - This one was a shocker for me, since I really don't like the first one. It had a great story, better villian, and better effects. There are few better made superhero/comic book movies.
3. The Incredibles - Wow. Pixar really outdid themsleves with this one. Not much else to say.
2. The Punisher - A movie I waited years for. While many people really didn't like it, there was no doubt in my mind that this was the best Punisher movie that could've been made. Great throwback to the 70s/80s Charles Bronson type of action flick highlighted by the perfect casting of Tom Jane as Frank Castle. He embodied everything Frank should be.
1. Garden State - Easily my favorite of the year. Zach Braff shows an amazing ability as a writer, director, and actor. Natalie Portman really shines in probably her best performance since Leon: The Professional.

Your worst movies of the year?

In no particular order:
Along Came Polly - Along Came Poopy. Ben Stiller is either really good (Meet The Parents) or really bad (as in this one).
Club Dread - How did the guys that made Super Troopers make this 90 minute nightmare?
The Forgotten - I wish I could. Like a really bad episode of the X-Files.
Saw - I wish I hadn't. Bad story and acting was worse - high school acting bad.
Van Helsing - This year's Underworld (AKA Biggest disppointment of the year). So much potential and it was boring boring boring.

(Box Office Mojo (http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2004&p=.htm) has a list of the top 150 grossing movies of the year if you are not sure if a certain movie came out this year or not.)

Beast
12-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Best 10:
1. Spider-Man 2
2. Hellboy
3. The Punisher
4. The Village
5. Shaun of the Dead
6. Harry Potter and the Prisnor of Azkaban
7. Alien Vs. Predator
8. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
9. Resident Evil: Apocalypse
10. Paparazzi

Worst 10:
1. Sky Captain and the World of Tommorow
2. Catwoman
3. Lemony Snicket's: A Series of Unfortunate Events
4. Team America: World Police
5. The Forgotten
6. Godsend
7. Passion of the Christ
8. Fahrenheit 9/11
9. The Grudge
10. Van Helsing

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
12-23-2004, 08:54 AM
I am a little bit behind the curve on 2004's films, so my list will be short.

Best

1. Spider-man 2 - Who would have thought they could top the original, but they did. I am sooo looking forward to the 3rd installment! My only complaint was the fact that just about EVERYONE saw Spidy without his mask.
2. The Bourne Supremacy - Not quite as good as the original, but a blockbust none the less.
3. Dawn of the Dead - Not as good as the original, but an excellent and fairly original remake. Ving shines in this film!
4. Hellboy - SK99 says keep 'em coming, I love Hollywoods acceptance of Comic based films, even if we do end up with a few turkey's like Daredevil.
5. Fahrenhype 9/11 - This film does and excellent job of exposing the lies MM put forth in his mockumentary. Going so far as to interview Moore's "victims" from Fahrenheit 9/11 and their anger about how they were misrepresented in his film.
6. Alien vs. Predator - A good take on the whole idea, great work by Lance Hendrickson!

Worst

1. Fahrenheit 9/11 - Moore shows little more than how easily the mindless masses are willing to blindly follow is crafted lies and BS, all to no avail. :rolleyes:
2. The Passion of the Christ - A 2+ hour film about the crucifiction, this thing was a little too long and drawn out for my taste. I failed to connect with the film.
3. Godsend - Another long and drawn out film that ended, well...you get the idea! WTF?!?!
4. VanHelsing - The bad film I loved. Yes I admit it, this thing was bad, the effects looked like stock replays from LXG, the story was kinda weak and it had a tendancy to bash you over the head with the awesome power of "Dracula", but in the end, I sorta enjoyed it...as bad as it was. :crazed:

So there you have it, SK99's best and worst list, for now.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-23-2004, 10:07 AM
In no particular order:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - This one blew the first two away, and it rocked! Even with all the cuts it still is my favorite HP movie so far.
Napoleon Dynamite - Sweet! This is the funniest movie I've ever seen!
Kill Bill Vol. 2 - Both of these were great, but only ths one came out in 2004.
Spider-Man 2 - This one was awesome, I really enjoyed it.
Dodgeball - I also thought this was really funny.
Hellboy - I thought it would be crap but it turned out quite well.
The Incredibles - Another great for Pixar! I loved it.

I didn't see a whole lot of bad movies this year, but I, Robot is the worst. The story sucked, almost as badly as the book (even though they were completely different!). The acting did too, mostly that lady. The effects were ok but they seemed overused.

El Chuxter
12-23-2004, 02:08 PM
Are you counting Hero as a 2004 release, since it was made about a gazillion years ago and only showed up here this year? :)

Incredibles is the best film of the year by a long shot, and given that there were gems like Spidey 2 and Punisher, that's saying quite a bit.

mrpauldeeds
12-23-2004, 03:42 PM
My Bebst of 2004: (no particular order)

1. Napolean Dynomite
2. Spider Man 2
3. Dawn of the Dead
4. Garden State
5. Meet the Fockeres
6. The Life Aquatic
7. The Buterfly Effect
8. Shriek 2
9.Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
10. Anchorman

Worst

1. Forgotten
2. Saw
3. Along Came Polly
4. What the F*$& do We Know?
5. Fahrenheit 9/11
6. Van Helsing
7. Alexander
8. Christmas with the Kranks
9. Surviving Christmas

Mandalorian Candidat
12-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Incredibles is the best film of the year by a long shot, and given that there were gems like Spidey 2 and Punisher, that's saying quite a bit.

Damn Chuxie! We're on the same wavelength here. I pick Incredibles as the no-doubt-kick-A movie of the year. The most enjoyable time I've had at the flickers since ROTK.

For worst I'd toss it up between AVP and HP3. Both had great potential but tragically fell short due to crappy writing and directing.

<<dodges tons of rotten eggs>>

Rocketboy
12-24-2004, 12:09 AM
I agree on AVP. It was my 2nd biggest diappointment of the year.
Just bad all around.

kool-aid killer
12-25-2004, 03:45 PM
In no particular order, i enjoyed:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Shrek 2, I Robot, Collateral, Hellboy, Spiderman 2, and the Punisher.

Movies that i felt sucked in no particular order:

AVP and Dawn of the Dead. I try to avoid ones that i think will suck, hence the small amount of poopers i have listed.

JON9000
12-26-2004, 11:05 AM
I've only been to the theater 3 times this year. I am protesting product advertisements that run after the listed start times. I have better things to do than show up 30 minutes early to get a decent seat then have to sit through another 15 minutes of BS. :mad:

If AvP was one of the best movies released, I suppose I didn't miss much. :D

Turbowars
12-26-2004, 12:58 PM
The Best

Aviator
Team America
Dawn Of the Dead
Anchorman
The Village
Paparazzi
Kill Bill 2
Dodge Ball
Saw

Worst

Darkness
Ocean's 12
AVP
Forgotton
Van Helsing
Shaun of the Dead
The Grudge

Rocketboy
12-26-2004, 10:10 PM
I've only been to the theater 3 times this year. I am protesting product advertisements that run after the listed start times. I have better things to do than show up 30 minutes early to get a decent seat then have to sit through another 15 minutes of BS. :mad:

If AvP was one of the best movies released, I suppose I didn't miss much. :DThe commercials are insanely irritating, but it's a small price to pay when the movie rocks. I remember reading a story online a while ago about a guy that filed a lawsuit against the theaters because of it. Not sure what ended up happening with it though (But I assume it never went anywhere).

And AvP was nowhere close to one of the best this year.

Turambar
12-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Best: Spidey 2, Manchurian Candidate, ROTK Extended, and Dodgeball. The Incredibles was also pretty good.

Worst: I didn't see much else, but I will say that OCEANS 12 was the most disappointing flick I've seen in a long time. I really enjoyed oceans 11, and this one had all the hype surrounding it. Bad story. Awful writing at the end.

vader121
12-27-2004, 02:05 PM
I didn't see a ton of movies but here is what I remember ...

Best
Spiderman 2 - very good
Van Helsing - I liked it even though most others don't
Troy - cool battle scenes, story was weak but the climactic scenes were very cool
Team America - funny!
The Alamo - decent, I like historical films
AVP
Kill Bill vol2
Miracle - Awesome!

OK
Butterfly Effect - not bad
Hellboy - entertaining
Shrek 2
The Terminal - almost was put under Worst category

Worst
Fahrenheit 9/11 - interesting but only was a lesson in how you edit the heck out of footage to twist it for your own means
The Village - HUGE letdown
Godsend - this movie sucks!
Fish Tale - kids film I know but still corny
Along Came Polly - Ben Stiller was only good in 'Meet The Parents'

mm74md
12-27-2004, 04:22 PM
Best

Passion of the Christ
Spiderman 2
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Incredibles
Shaun of the Dead
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
I, Robot
Troy
The Polar Express
50 First Dates

Worst

Fahrenheit 9/11
Alexander
SuperBabies: Baby Geniuses 2
Soul Plane
Torque
Kill Bill: Vol. 2
Alamo
The Stepford Wives
Van Helsing
The Village

Darth Jax
12-28-2004, 09:35 PM
worst: i can only recall 2 really bad movies i saw this year - Fish Tale and Team America. i didn't like Shrek 2 that much, but it certainly isn't a bad movie. generally i manage to avoid movies that i walk out of the theater thinking i'll never have those 2 hours back, but Team America managed to sneak up on me

Best:
HP3
Punisher (saw it multiple times at dollar theater, hopefully the second one will live up to its potential since travolta can't be the villain)
Saved (did that come out in 2004?)
Incredibles
Shaun of Dead (only movie i paid full price to see more than once)
Dawn of Dead remake
Some Kind of Monster
Napoleon Dynamite
Miracle
Garden State

Closer was ok, certainly nothing like i was expecting. quite profane.

Rocketboy
12-28-2004, 11:38 PM
Punisher (saw it multiple times at dollar theater, hopefully the second one will live up to its potential since travolta can't be the villain)Yeah, as much as I loved The Punisher, my only gripe was Travolta.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-29-2004, 03:48 PM
I totally forgot about Miracle. Another great movie even though you totally knew the outcome going into it.

El Chuxter
01-04-2005, 02:09 PM
Just curious, and not trying to cause any Rancor Pit spillover, but has everyone listing Passion of the Christ and Fahrenheit 9/11 among their best or worst actually seen the movies?

Rocketboy
01-04-2005, 11:20 PM
I've seen them both.
Loved Fahrenheit and thought The Passion was mediocre at best.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Damn Chuxie! We're on the same wavelength here. I pick Incredibles as the no-doubt-kick-A movie of the year. The most enjoyable time I've had at the flickers since ROTK.

For worst I'd toss it up between AVP and HP3. Both had great potential but tragically fell short due to crappy writing and directing.

<<dodges tons of rotten eggs>>
What?!? I didn't see AvP but HP3 was one of the best films of the year. The directing was far superior to anything Chris Columbus did. The writing was great too; what exactly did you think was wrong with it? Along with the awesome mind-blowing story (I mean, it was mind-blowing when I first read the book but is still amazing), the visuals were absolutely fantastic. The effects were greater than anything in the first two; Buckbeak really looks real! The Scottish landscape was a great choice too for the setting, it's so lush and beautiful.

A movie I forgot to mention was Shrek 2. What the hell was all the hype about? I mean it was pretty good but I far prefer the original, and this was pretty much a rehash of it anyway. No way should it have grossed that much at the box office.

Rocketboy
01-05-2005, 10:06 PM
A movie I forgot to mention was Shrek 2. What the hell was all the hype about? I mean it was pretty good but I far prefer the original, and this was pretty much a rehash of it anyway. No way should it have grossed that much at the box office.Totally agree. I laughed my butt off watching the first one. I think I chuckled twice (maybe three times) watching the 2nd.
I'm still in shock it made that much.