PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Review: Princess Leia Organa

LusiferSam
12-26-2004, 04:32 PM
This week weíre talk Princess Leia Organa (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=6663&sort=1&cat=500&page=6). This princess is not your ordinary damsel in distress, she's got a giveím hell attitude with a mouth to match and is one of the best shoots in the galaxy. One of four figures send out in the early bird kits its Princess Leia in her white dress and danish hairdo. Available from 1978 to the end of the line, Princess Leia can be found on most major card back types. Unlike many of her contemporaries she did not receive a new photo for the ROTJ line. There are no major variations either. She came with a white vinyl cape and blueish/black gun.

Again the figure isnít super accurate, but its close enough. Hand this figure to some one and ask who it is, I think most would answer Princess Leia. The danish hairdo is the give away and it comes across well with this figure. The white dress Iím so so on. Yes its white, but it doesnít look that dress like. Iím not a hugh fan of the vinyl capes and thatís the main I donít think it looks like she wearing a dress. Again the I think the neck is too skinny and left hand is totally useless.

And again this is a figure I didn't want or have as a kid. Having three Leia was enough for me, a fourth wasn't needed. I don't remember any of my friends having this figure. But I do remember seeing it in stores and also passing it by.

One of the first figures I got when I started to collect the vintage line, I got her in a lot of 16 figures (8 of which I already had) in the fall of '98. Totally incomplete I had to find a cape and gun for her. The cape has a small ripe around the right arm and the limbs are yellowed and dirty. The head is very loose with a lot of paint wear on the hair.

Kidhuman
12-26-2004, 04:50 PM
This is a figure I dont remember getting, but have. I think the likeness was good on her. NOt my favorite Leia out of the bunch, but a must have for any SW fan IMO. An original figure, I had to get twoi of these, as one finally gave way. I remember replacing it towards the end of collecting. Did not get played with as much as the rest of them, but it saw its share of action.

BTW Lusifer, there was 5 Leias,

vader121
12-27-2004, 09:15 AM
I don't remember getting this figure but did have one. Never recall ever having the gun. It is possible that it was left in the bubble after the figure was opened and thrown away with the carback and bubble (may have done the same thing with my Jawa).

Vinyl cape was ok for the time i guess (it was 1978).

the figure itself had very little play value to me. She couldn't hold a stormtrooper blaster well and I mainly used her as a scene filler. She never fought & I think got killed in every battle to add to the battleground carnage.

My original one is long gone (sold her in a garage sale) but I have many now. She was very dirty and had loose limbs.

LusiferSam
12-27-2004, 12:25 PM
BTW Lusifer, there was 5 Leias,
I think you miss understood what I was saying. I had three Leia figures as a kid, Bespin, Endor and Boushh. And because of that felt I didn't need the original Leia, hence a fourth Leia in my childhood collection.

Kidhuman
12-27-2004, 08:59 PM
OK I got what you are saying, I wasnt sure if you counted Boushh or not.

aceguide
12-28-2004, 09:04 AM
Vinyl capes rule!

But my Leia is missing hers - along with the gun.

A good figure and vitally important to ANH play-time.

Rocketboy
12-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Never a fan of this one. Boring figure and couldn't hold a blaster very well and usually got tossed to the side fairly early when I played with my figures.
I found the vinyl capes annoying. They were the first thing to come off every figure that had one. The got in the way, especially if you wanted to sit them down or put them in a ship.

vader121
12-28-2004, 11:03 AM
I tossed the vinyl capes aside too. In fact I don't ever recall having the capes for my 10 snowtroopers. I think I threw them away with the packaging because they were skirts and I thought that they looked bad. I did keep the other capes and would put them back on as needed.

LusiferSam
12-28-2004, 01:06 PM
I'm 90% sure had this figure been a few years later she would have had a cloth skirt (or cape). And I know had she been made in '83 or later that would easily have been the case. Not that that was going to happen, but one can imagine. I'm just not a fan of the vinyl capes. They rip too easily pulling them on and off. Cloth holds up better.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-29-2004, 10:27 AM
Well, I also had this figure right around when it came out. Like aceguide, this figure was necessary for SW authenticity. Keep in mind, for two years, there were no other Leia figs until the Bespin version in ESB.
Only memories I have of this figure are (of course) losing the gun and cape, and the white color lending itself to getting dirty easily, with scrapes showing too obviously.

Kidhuman
12-29-2004, 10:11 PM
I never gave the vinyl cape issue much thought until I tried to sit Obi-Wan in the landspeeder, then it became the issue. Leias never bothered me, because all she did was run around and then if she was in the falcon she was tossed in the back of it until it landed and she got off.