PDA

View Full Version : Asia Earthquake :-(

DarthQuack
12-26-2004, 09:18 PM
Thought I would open a somber thread about this horrible event that happened Christmas Day. The current AP update is saying that over 12 thousand people are feared dead. I can't believe something like this can happen. The earthquake registered 8.9 on the geiger counter(or scale?). And then having the Tsunami hit a little while after with 20 ft high waves crashing down. I really feel for the people that are dealing with that tragedy overseas. :(

Kidhuman
12-26-2004, 09:37 PM
It is a sad day over there. Over 12k dead. A tragedy with out a doubt.

sergiurusu
12-26-2004, 09:45 PM
this is a real tragedy...

Exhaust Port
12-26-2004, 10:38 PM
The earthquake registered 8.9 on the geiger counter(or scale?).

Richter Scale, a geiger counter measures radiation levels.

They upped the earthquake to 9.0 on the Richter scale earlier today making it the 4th on the all-time list of recorded earthquakes. Sadly it sounds like these deaths resulted because the authorities couldn't spread a warning to get to high ground. They knew it was coming but most of the population is quite rural and they never knew what was on the way.

One expert on the news this evening mentioned that they actually have a tsunami education program to teach folks the signs of an oncoming tsunami so they can seek the high ground. From what he said that anytime anyone feels an earthquake or notes that there is a significant retraction of the water at ocean and riverfronts that they should have gone to high ground until they were given an "all clear". Hopefully a valuable lesson will be learned from this event.

Sith Lord 0498
12-27-2004, 08:46 AM
It is a sad day over there. Over 12k dead. A tragedy with out a doubt.

The news just keeps getting worse. The headline over at Yahoo now declares "Tsunami waves kills over 20,900 in Asia."

20,900...it's almost impossible to comprehend. :cry:

DarthQuack
12-27-2004, 10:46 AM
It's just something you can't really fathom sometimes. That many people dying in a natural disaster....nothign caused by man, it's just unbelievable the forces that the world can have.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-27-2004, 10:26 PM
Expect a much higher death toll. The president of Indonesia says that maybe 20,000 died in his country alone--from both the tsunami and the quake.

As EP said, this tragedy might have been prevented had the Indian Ocean contained a tsunami warning system like the Pacific does. I am not sure if cost was the big factor, but that would have saved tons of lives had it been available.

DarthQuack
12-28-2004, 07:51 AM
I can't believe it's up to 40k now, It was just 24k last night and now its so damn high....

hango fett
12-28-2004, 08:44 AM
thats because the tsunami went to far away, as far as kenya, and moved at about 500-600MPH which is damn fast. that is why they couldn't really get a warning out. because it was moving so fast plus they had no warning system, like Exhaust Port said.
:(
HF

kool-aid killer
12-29-2004, 10:11 AM
I had heard about this the day of, but didnt real pay much attention to it. When i did, i was astounded by the amount of people who died. Its very disturbing when you look past the number and think of all the stories that were contained in those lives. Its unfortunate. I was watching a program last night and it said that aid may not be able to reach some locations because of a rebel uprising within a country (by the Tamil Tigers) and much of the affected regions being in their territory. Hopefully nations will be able to put politics aside and work together for humanitys sake. My prayers go out to those who died and those who lost loved one.

dr_evazan22
12-29-2004, 03:25 PM
The scope of the death and destruction is staggering! I wish I could do more to help then donate money.

Turbowars
12-29-2004, 03:55 PM
I can't believe the deaths totals more than 100,000 at this point. It's seems as it's one of those disaster movies that really couldn't happen. I mean the waves were said to me 70-90 feet high! My heart goes out to all the people that lost their lives and family. It's hard to believe that this could happen to the west Coast at anytime.

Kidhuman
12-30-2004, 08:39 AM
I can't believe the deaths totals more than 100,000 at this point. It's seems as it's one of those disaster movies that really couldn't happen. I mean the waves were said to me 70-90 feet high! My heart goes out to all the people that lost their lives and family. It's hard to believe that this could happen to the west Coast at anytime.

Here is an article on that Turbo...

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?flok=ne-sci-8-l6&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20041229%2F2054983100.htm

DarthQuack
12-31-2004, 08:38 AM
I don't mean to step on any toes with this one, and I'm sorry if I do, but this makes 9-11 look like nothing really, because there isn't anyone to even blame for this, it's mother nature and her powers at work, it's just unbelievable...:-\

Kidhuman
12-31-2004, 08:50 AM
No Doubt DQ. Imakes 9/11 look like the Son of Sam killings. I just keep seeing 2 football stadiums filled with people in the stands and then they are gone in an instant. The death toll keeps changing though, yesterday I saw 125k now it says 117k, either way, it is still a tragedy

Exhaust Port
12-31-2004, 09:11 AM
Each day it goes up even more with the latest estimate at 135,000 dead. It wouldn't suprise me if the number cracks 200,000 in the next week.

9/11 was a different tragedy in that it was an intentional act by a few that killed thousands. The deaths in SE Asia are a result of a natural disaster not some terrorist sect. It's one thing to have large number of deaths at the hand of a fellow human than mother nature. Odd how just as many can die each year from AIDS or several other viruses (ie natural disaster) and no one seems to get choked up.

Kidhuman
12-31-2004, 09:19 AM
The whole AIDS thing and cancer you mention is because of |"numbness". It is somethiung that people die from every day. People have been hearing the AIDS total for many years now, and cancer even more. It is no less of a tragedy, but the numbness has set in. Like you mentioned, a natural disaster like this doesn't happen every day or even every year.

Tycho
12-31-2004, 05:04 PM
I don't mean to step on any toes with this one, and I'm sorry if I do, but this makes 9-11 look like nothing really, because there isn't anyone to even blame for this, it's mother nature and her powers at work, it's just unbelievable...:-\

In the Rancor Pit (since that's what it's there for) I invite anyone who wants to discuss whether it's "mother nature and her powers at work," or something else, and how the date and impact of the tragedy resonnates with other things taken at faith.

DarthQuack
12-31-2004, 06:03 PM
I also saw that it's up to 150k according to Yahoo. I had to give some money, didn't give much, only 10 bucks, but it made me feel good about myself helping people in need. :(

dr_evazan22
01-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Last night on the news they said that the British public has given about as much as the Brit gov't - about 90 mil each. Very impressive. I realize it's not a contest, but it would be nice if we could do something similiar here in the US.

Kidhuman
01-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Over 1 Billion dollars has been raised/donated for this effort.