PDA

View Full Version : Where's the best place to buy star wars lego sets?

moulman
12-30-2004, 03:31 PM
Ive been a sw action figure collector for a long time, and i thought id take a shot at collecting sw lego sets. Im wondering where is the best place to buy sets (b/s online)? Ive had luck at Target getting a few of the Mini sets, but other than that most places ive been to have little to no selection of them.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-30-2004, 03:47 PM
2004 has been kind of a sucky year for SW Legos. Everything we've gotten in has pretty much been a rehash from previous years. Some may say the rehashes are an improvement but, nevertheless, rehashes they are. I don't know how aware you are of 2004's selection, but there's only been 4 sets at retail you can get, besides the minis: Rebel Snowspeeder, Mos Eisley Cantina, Dagobah X-Wing, and the Millennium Falcon (I think that's all). If the selection seems crappy, maybe its because that's all we ever got.

I've gotten most of my stuff from ShopKo because they had a great clearance a few months back on SW Legos. It's pretty hard to find stuff there now since just about everything's gone.

Right now WM should be clearancing them. I've found the MF for $75 and the X-Wing for $35. They have really crappy clearance prices compared to Target so I would hang with Target before buying at WM unless you get desperate because the stock is being sold fast.

Every year around this time, Target just moves everything out at really good clearance prices. Last year I got the AT-AT for $25 and the AT-TE for $12.50 (75% each). I would expect the same thing to happen this year, but I wouldn't wait past 50% off since finding anything like that for 75% is pretty difficult. Even finding stuff at 50% off is tough due to the quickness that the sets will sell that cheap.

I don't know how KMart is doing, but it's hit and miss. One near me had a Jabba's Palace (2003 set) on clearance for 50% off for almost a whole year before it rang up at $3.50.

If you're serious, start checking out the stores quick and often because the Lego stock changes rapidly, in my experience.

Good luck and let us know if you find any good deals. :)

Kidhuman
12-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Right now there are not many sets out there. Alot of them are being clearanced and all. I usually get mine at Wal-Mart. I would head there and see if any are on Clearance. I am waiting for the Falocn to go on clearance and then it will be mine. Earlier this year o nclearance I picked up AT-TE for 30, Hailfire for 20, Jango Fetts SLave 1 for 12, T-16 for 5, and a ton of mini's at regular price, Jabbas Gift for 3 bucks, and a few others here and there from trades and such. The only set i ever paid regular price for was Mos Eisly(30 bucks) and to me, it was worth regular price.

BTW welcome to the boards.

moulman
12-30-2004, 04:09 PM
owell-i guess i wait till next year when all the ROTS legos come out-probably will be a wider selection at the stores i go to when they come out

Kidhuman
12-30-2004, 04:25 PM
Skip over a few threads and chek out hte list of sets due out. There is about a dozen sets lined up right now.

moulman
12-30-2004, 05:40 PM
well thanks for all the info, especially about checking the stores often. Hopefully my WM will mark down prices on their Falcons-they had a few but for 99 bucks, i think i can hold out awhile

Darth Jax
12-30-2004, 08:08 PM
2004 also saw the Y-wing set.

moulman
12-30-2004, 09:30 PM
well after reading the replies i decided to take a trip to Toys r Us. they had a much greater selection than my Wm or Target did.

picked up the Tie bomber, couple mini sets, and the Halfire droid from ep. 2

LusiferSam
12-30-2004, 10:04 PM
I'm not sure where you live moulman, but Lego does have few of its own stores (Lego Imagination Centers) scattered around. They normally have a pretty good selection of everything. Also more traditional toy stores, the more "mom and pop" type, also tend to have a surprising good selection of SW sets in my experience. If you have any of those toy stores around you if might give them a try.

JediTricks
12-31-2004, 02:23 AM
I've found that TRU generally has the greatest selection of SW Lego and carries more last-years products. Target seems to have the occasional straggler as well, mostly Jedi Starfighters and Geonosian Fighters, but their Lego section has been thinner than usual in the modern stuff lately.

Another "new" set, the Vader TIE vs Y-wing set with the updated Vader TIE design is at TRU now, I believe it's an exclusive but I'm not totally sure.

moulman
12-31-2004, 09:57 AM
Ya I live in Indianapolis-we only have Wm, Targets, a few TRU, and a few KB toys here and there.

Kidhuman
12-31-2004, 10:02 AM
Can we all crash your abode for C3?

You could also try Lego.com

dindae
12-31-2004, 10:47 AM
I would check out KB as well since you still have one. They usually have some cheap older sets. Mine still had some E1 sets before it closed. I was going to wait on the falcon but I started looking to see how low the prices where at I couldn't find it so now I might pick it up for $75 if I can find it.

Mandalorian Candidat
01-03-2005, 05:12 PM
I've found that TRU generally has the greatest selection of SW Lego and carries more last-years products. Target seems to have the occasional straggler as well, mostly Jedi Starfighters and Geonosian Fighters, but their Lego section has been thinner than usual in the modern stuff lately.

Another "new" set, the Vader TIE vs Y-wing set with the updated Vader TIE design is at TRU now, I believe it's an exclusive but I'm not totally sure.

Yeah, that's true. I forgot all about TRU's thing about tightwad clearancing previous years' SW sets. My local TRU still had skyhoppers up to a few months ago.

Speaking of older sets, I found a lone TIE Bomber that just popped up at a fairly new WM in my area a couple of nights ago. It still rang up at $30. :confused:

JediTricks
01-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Yeah, for some reason, all 3 of the major chains keep having the TIE Bomber on shelves lately, I've seen that one more than any other consistantly throughout TRU, Target, and WM, and they never have 'em on clearance anymore. That's weird about that set.

Oh, and dindae is right about KBs, they generally have older SW sets that you're not going to see anywhere else anymore.

Slicker
01-03-2005, 08:59 PM
well after reading the replies i decided to take a trip to Toys r Us. they had a much greater selection than my Wm or Target did.

picked up the Tie bomber, couple mini sets, and the Halfire droid from ep. 2
I also just picked up the Hailfire Droid recently and I believe that I can speak for most of the people that bought it by saying it is one of the best Ep. 2 if not SW sets in general. I think it's clever how they got the wheels on it.

Kidhuman
01-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Slicker you are correct. The Hailfire is my favorite set I own, with the AT-TE a close second.

JediTricks
01-05-2005, 05:44 PM
I really like the Hailfire Droid, but I can't say why exactly, it's only got 3 moving parts: 2 huge hoop wheels and the pop-out cannon. But it rolls well and looks nasty doing it, so I guess that's all it needed to do to get me interested.

Picked up the Luke, Imp Officer, and Stormtrooper set yesterday at KB for 83 cents, was the last one though. Cute set, but I'm not surprised it didn't do better at the $7 pricepoint or however much it originally was.

Kidhuman
01-05-2005, 09:00 PM
MAn. Can. got me 2 of those last year for 2 bucks each. They are pretty cool sets. 3 mini's and a platform. Not to bad a set at that price. But for 7 bucks, way overpriced.

Ji'dai
01-06-2005, 12:03 AM
Ya I live in Indianapolis-we only have Wm, Targets, a few TRU, and a few KB toys here and there.

I think all the KB stores in Indy are closed. There used to be quite a few in the metro area - one in each mall; plus a Toy Works on East Washington, one on South 31 (Meridian) by Target, and another in Plainfield. Great places to buy older LEGO up until recently. There was a KB Toy Liquidator at the outlet mall in Edinburgh, which is south of Indy on I-65. Your best bet is TRU, they have the largest selection with periodic BOGO 50% off sales.

LEGO also has two outlet stores in GA and VA I believe. They used to take phone orders if you can't make it in person. Check out the marketplace section at www.lugnet.com (http://www.lugnet.com) for the phone numbers.

I still need an AT-TE. It's listed in the Jan '05 Shop @ Home catalog but it is sold out. Customer Service even checked the outlet stores inventory for me but no luck. I still see the Hailfire Droid and Geonosian Fighter at retail though.

moulman
01-06-2005, 03:43 PM
The only KB in Indy still open is the one in Castleton Square mall, but i beleive they are closing soon.