PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Review: R2-D2

LusiferSam
01-02-2005, 11:06 AM
I'm going to be quick this week because I'm traveling.
This week its R2-D2 (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=6681&sort=1&cat=500&page=5) turn. The jack of all trades droid with more uses than a swiss army knife. The third figure sent out in the early bird kit and was available from '78 to '82 when it was replaced by a new version. There aren't any major variations.

Personally I have more to say when I get home on Wednesday, but for please have at it.

Kidhuman
01-02-2005, 08:28 PM
R2-D2 is ther handiest droid to have around. You said it best about the army knife. No adventure while playing as a kid was complete with out R2-D2. He probably got the most use out of any of my figures as a kid. I think I went through two or three of them before he was issued as a newer figure later in the series.

vader121
01-04-2005, 09:10 AM
This was my first vintage figure that I got in 77 or 78.
I used to use him as a cannon in the early days. Could flip him over for this purpose. Liked the clicking sound it made when moving the head. Not much use in battles but a staple nonetheless.

aceguide
01-04-2005, 01:10 PM
I wore through several of these as a kid. I still have one with the sticker all worn off and the chrome almost gone.

Possibly the bext figure of the vintage line, in my opinion. R2 & 3po as a pair were vital in any battle.

LusiferSam
01-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Ok I'm back with more to say. I was not really aware this figure existed as a kid, I suspected it did but never knew for sure. My interest in SW toys start about the time this version of R2 was being replaced. As a result I only knew about the periscope version and not the original.

I picked this figure up off eBay in fall of 1999 in a massive shopping spree (I bought like 30 figures from this one guy and had bid one close to 20 other). Looking back I over paid, but there are only a few figures I can say that about so I can live with it. The paint is in pretty shape, the head clicks and the legs are tight. The sticker is a dirty, but of all my R2 units (R5 too) this one is in the best shape.

I always thought Kenner did a real good job with R2. I like the scale compared to the other figures. The clicking head was a pain to me. As a kid I always thought it was about to break. I wished Kenner could have cooked up a third leg for they're R2's. Even a removable one would have been better than none. But we had none and got by. My lest favorite part is the sticker. I just hate it and wished Kenner had painted the body instead.

Rocketboy
01-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Artoo (along with Threepio) probably got the most use out of any of my figures as a kid. I went through tons of each figure.
Artoo was always a necessity in any battle - he was also a cannon!

And Artoo had a sticker on his chest?
Wow...j/k

Ji'dai
01-16-2005, 04:57 PM
R2 was probably my first Star Wars figure. He was cute; I made him a bed for him to sleep in at night. But this was before Star Wars became a serious obsession for me. Still he and 3PO were necessary wallpaper in any playset or vehicle set up. Both droids spent a lot of time tooling around the house on the back of Luke's Landspeeder. My R2 is well worn. Most of the decal artwork is missing and parts of it near the top and bottom are worn away. The silver or chrome on the head is gone and but the blue paint on the panels are still holding up more or less. Still, he was a pocket-sized figure that could be taken anywhere.

Fluke Skywalker
01-17-2005, 07:30 AM
The big problem with R2 is that darn sticker. Makes finding one in good shape tough!