PDA

View Full Version : 2004: The Year in Star Wars Collecting

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Now it's another new year, the year of the final Star Wars film, the last (maybe?) giant merchandising onslaught, and the last big Star Wars-only convention. Before we get too far into 2005, let's have a look back at 2004, Star Wars-wise. Usually the head honchos here on SSG do this, but for some reason they haven't yet. Still, now we all can.

This year started out with more figures on the gold-striped Saga card first seen in fall 2003. The figures came out in themed waves, such as Hoth and Tatooine. The figures featured great sculpts and articulation, and collectors were in the minds of the Hasbro workers. A few Ultra figures came out at the same time as each themed wave, to go with the basic figures. We were given a taste of things to come when Hasbro re-released 12 old figures with new bases and cards and called them the Hall of Fame collection. They also offered a second set of Clone Wars animated figures and promised a third (which are now available).

To coincide with the release of the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD, Hasbro launched the Original Trilogy Collection, with both kids and collectors in mind. For new fans, they released 31 old figures along with 7 new ones for collectors and put them on beautiful new cards, based loosely on the vintage packaging. Many collectors who already had these also collected a set of OTC figures just for the cardbacks. A few of the old figures sported different accessories or all-new paintjobs, prompting owners to take a second look (or a second purchase). This was also the case with the vehicles, all of which used old or remodeled sculpts and (usually) new deco.

Perhaps the biggest surprise of all (aside from the DVDs themselves) was a set of 12 all-new figures on reproductions of vintage packaging. With excellent detail and articulation, the Vintage Original Trilogy Collection offered some of the best figures of all time. However, with a price twice that of the basic figures, some people felt ripped-off, and a few figures undoubtedly warranted that.

The first few 2005 figures crept onto the store shelves in November and December, just in time for Christmas. We were warned of a price hike of a dollar, but ended up getting a two dollar-increase instead. This marks the first time in three years that figures have been nearly $7.

What are your thoughts on this past year in collecting? For reference, here's a list of all the brand-new figure items meant for 2004, with a few releases from late 2003 included and the 2005 figures excluded:

Basic Figures
Hoth Trooper (Hoth Evacuation)
R-3PO (Hoth Evacuation)
Luke Skywalker (Hoth Attack)
Luke Skywalker (Jabba’s Palace)
R2-D2 (Jabba’s Sail Barge)
R1-G4 (Tatooine Transaction)
Lando Calrissian (Jabba’s Sail Barge)
Rappertunie (Jabba’s Palace)
J’Quille (Jabba’s Sail Barge)
Tanus Spijek (Jabba’s Sail Barge)
Holographic Luke Skywalker (Jabba’s Palace)
General Jan Dodonna (Battle of Yavin)
Dutch Vander Gold Leader (Battle of Yavin)
TIE Fighter Pilot (Battle of Yavin)
Captain Antilles (Tantive IV Invasion)
Admiral Ozzel (Executor Assault)
Dengar (Executor Meeting)
Bossk (Executor Meeting)
Han Solo (Endor Strike)
General Madine (Imperial Shuttle Capture)
Lando Calrissian (Death Star Attack)
Luke Skywalker (OTC #1)
Yoda (OTC #2)
Spirit Obi-Wan (OTC #3)
R2-D2 (OTC #4)
Princess Leia (OTC #18)
Cloud Car Pilot (OTC #19)
Lobot (OTC #20)

Ultra Figures
Wampa (Hoth Attack)
General Rieekan (Hoth Evacutaion)
C-3PO with Escape Pod (Tatooine Escape)
Jabba the Hutt (Jabba's Palace)
Jabba's Court Denizens (Jabba's Palace)
Ewok with Attack Glider (Assault on Endor)

Animated Figures
Count Dooku
Yoda
Durge
Clone Trooper

Vintage-style Figures
Luke Skywalker
Han Solo
Princess Leia Organa
Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi
Darth Vader
Yoda
Lando Calrissian
See-Threepio (C-3PO)
Chewbacca
Boba Fett
Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2) with Extension Arm
Stormtrooper

Vehicles
X-wing Fighter
TIE Fighter
Millennium Falcon
Darth Vader's TIE Fighter
Y-wing Fighter
Slave I

Screen Scenes
Jedi Council 1 (Yoda, Ki-Adi-Mundi, Qui-Gon Jinn)
Jedi Council 2 (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Plo Koon, Eeth Koth)
Jedi Council 3 (Anakin Skywalker, Adi Gallia, Saesee Tiin)
Jedi Council 4 (Stass Allie, Agen Kolar, Shaak Ti)
Mos Eisley Cantina 1 (Dr. Evazan, Wuher, Kitik Keed'kak)
Mos Eisley Cantina 2 (Ponda Baba, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Zutton)

Four-packs
Endor Battle
Naboo Combat

Wal-Mart DVD Multipacks
A New Hope (Luke Skywalker, Ben Kenobi, R2-D2, C-3PO)
The Empire Strikes Back (Han Solo, Princess Leia Organa, Chewbacca)
Return of the Jedi (Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, Stormtrooper)

Wal-Mart Carry Cases
C-3PO with Han Solo and Chewbacca
Darth Vader with Boba Fett and Stormtrooper

I didn't include the 12-inch stuff, Galactic Heroes, or Jedi Force stuff because I don't know much about it and don't collect them. As for thoughts, I’ll post mine later.

Turbowars
01-02-2005, 01:04 PM
It was a great year for collectors. Of course we all wanted more new figures and not rehashes, but Hasbro did a pretty good job on the new paint apps and a few new figures. The cards are outstanding as well, a huge selling point with me. Some of the choices were not very popular and we all would have liked R2-R9 (red R2 unit), Motti and other hard to find figures from the past.

When I look back to figures like Hoth Luke, R1-G4, Bar2-D2, Dutch and Dengar, I can really appreciate Hasbro's efforts. I mean really I never thought we would get R1 and Bar2! They really blew my mind.

kool-aid killer
01-02-2005, 01:50 PM
I think this was a good year for myself. With the exception of about three or four things, i was able to find everything i wanted at retail. I liked the most of the product we got too. I was pleased to get so many of Jabbas hooligans this year, a cloud car pilot, and some vehicles i had missed out on the first time around. Lots of good sculpts IMO and just the sheer amount of figures released made the year of 2004 a good one Star Wars toys wise.

Sith Lord 0498
01-02-2005, 06:01 PM
In terms of the quality and variety of merchandise offered, 2004 was an exceptional year for Star Wars. Articulation, sculpts, paint apps were all greatly improved. The assortment of characters was much more diverse especially with the inclusion of many lesser-known characters (Jabba Court Denziens, Cloud Car Pilot, etc.).

Unfortunately, 2004 was also a year (at least for myself and fellow Northeastern Pennsylvanian collectors) in which poor distribution truly reared its ugly head. I did find most of the items I sought out, but they were generally the result of either dumb luck or frequent communication with fellow forumite Darth Alex. For the most part, pegwarmers clogged the shelves, and it always seemed as though the stores were three months behind everyone else.

Just as a good example, my local Wal-Mart just put its remaining OTC figures on clearance for $3.00 each. They are the same figures that clogged the pegs for the past 3 months, and they are all Madine, Lando General, and Leia Bespin--at least 15 of each.

Kidhuman
01-02-2005, 08:17 PM
This was a great year for all SW fans and collectors. It gave us never before seen figures and a great tribute to the old days of collectiing as a kid.

Basic Figures
Hoth Trooper (Hoth Evacuation) - probably near the bottom of every list.
R-3PO (Hoth Evacuation) - a great add on extra. Loved it
Luke Skywalker (Hoth Attack) - Awesome sculpt. Loved the battle wounds and attatch to the Wampa feature
Luke Skywalker (Jabba’s Palace) - A decent sculpt and a much needed figure
R2-D2 (Jabba’s Sail Barge) - could have been better IMO
R1-G4 (Tatooine Transaction) - Great job, a throw back to ANH
Lando Calrissian (Jabba’s Sail Barge) - Thought it was impossible to improve on the POTF2, but they did it.
Rappertunie (Jabba’s Palace) - Great, great figure. Loved it
J’Quille (Jabba’s Sail Barge) - Again, awesome sculpt, loved it
Tanus Spijek (Jabba’s Sail Barge) - J'Quille part deux, loved it
Holographic Luke Skywalker (Jabba’s Palace) - thought it would be worse, but it was good
General Jan Dodonna (Battle of Yavin) - not worhth the fans choice designation, but happy we got him none the less
Dutch Vander Gold Leader (Battle of Yavin) - Awesome, if they made all Pilots this good
TIE Fighter Pilot (Battle of Yavin) - a decent sculpt, much needed improvement
Captain Antilles (Tantive IV Invasion) - see Dodonna
Admiral Ozzel (Executor Assault) - About time we got him.
Dengar (Executor Meeting) - Any Dengar is a welcome to my collection
Bossk (Executor Meeting) - A nice improvement.
Han Solo (Endor Strike) - HTF, got them through trades. Han is OK at best
General Madine (Imperial Shuttle Capture) - About time!!!
Lando Calrissian (Death Star Attack) - Loved it
Luke Skywalker (OTC #1) - Love the variant packaging and a neat idea for this figure
Yoda (OTC #2) - Loved the interaction on him with Luke
Spirit Obi-Wan (OTC #3) - Very nicely done.
R2-D2 (OTC #4) - I liked it
Princess Leia (OTC #18) - Bespin Leia, very cool to have
Cloud Car Pilot (OTC #19) - Well, where is the Twin Pod now that we have a pilot??
Lobot (OTC #20) - NOt much as far as excitement, but better than Lobot Terrio

Ultra Figures
Wampa (Hoth Attack) - Great, Great sculpt. Top Notch
General Rieekan (Hoth Evacutaion) - should have been a basic figure
C-3PO with Escape Pod (Tatooine Escape) - passed on it. 3PO looked funky
Jabba the Hutt (Jabba's Palace) - Great Jabba Sculpt....where is the Thorne?
Jabba's Court Denizens (Jabba's Palace) - great addition to any collection
Ewok with Attack Glider (Assault on Endor) - Got two, great job.

Animated Figures - passed on these
Count Dooku
Yoda
Durge
Clone Trooper

Vintage-style Figures
Luke Skywalker - Good figure, nothing special
Han Solo - great to get a non cantina Han
Princess Leia Organa - see Luke
Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi - Loved the cloak, old man Ben is always welcome
Darth Vader - The Dark Lord of the Sith is always welcome with open arms t omy collection. Bought 2 of them
Yoda - meh
Lando Calrissian - See Luke
See-Threepio (C-3PO) - waste of money, bought only to have the set
Chewbacca - Great job on this Wookie. Bought two of them
Boba Fett - See Chewie
Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2) with Extension Arm - A nice addtion, could have been a basic figure
Stormtrooper - Bought 4 of them. Great army Builder

Vehicles - didnt get any
X-wing Fighter
TIE Fighter
Millennium Falcon
Darth Vader's TIE Fighter
Y-wing Fighter
Slave I

Screen Scenes - passed
Jedi Council 1 (Yoda, Ki-Adi-Mundi, Qui-Gon Jinn)
Jedi Council 2 (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Plo Koon, Eeth Koth)
Jedi Council 3 (Anakin Skywalker, Adi Gallia, Saesee Tiin)
Jedi Council 4 (Stass Allie, Agen Kolar, Shaak Ti)
Mos Eisley Cantina 1 (Dr. Evazan, Wuher, Kitik Keed'kak)
Mos Eisley Cantina 2 (Ponda Baba, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Zutton)

Four-packs - passed
Endor Battle
Naboo Combat

Wal-Mart DVD Multipacks
A New Hope (Luke Skywalker, Ben Kenobi, R2-D2, C-3PO) - passed
The Empire Strikes Back (Han Solo, Princess Leia Organa, Chewbacca) - passed
Return of the Jedi (Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, Stormtrooper) - Never got the Emperor in the Saga line, so I snabbed it for ten bucks. The best of all three packs, an army builder, Darth Vader and the Emperor for 10 bucks. How can you say no???

Wal-Mart Carry Cases
C-3PO with Han Solo and Chewbacca
Darth Vader with Boba Fett and Stormtrooper

Ji'dai
01-02-2005, 11:06 PM
Overall, I was impressed with this year's offerings. With plethora of ancilliary characters from the Original Trilogy being produced it was fun year to collect. I could never tire of more aliens and droids; so Hasbro, keep 'em coming.

Bought all the Utra/Deluxe figures that were from the Original Trilogy; great stuff.

I liked the Animated Clone Wars line, bought all of them.

I planned on putting together a set of OTC, but in the end, I passed on the repacks. I also passed on the Holographic Emperor. Loved the new figures from the OTC and was happy to see Gamorreans and Jawas again. I put together two sets of VOTC. After opening the VOTC and playing with them, most of the figures actually look better in the packaging. Hasbro, hokey exclusives and ancient packaging are no match for good new figures at your retail side, kid.

Bought a 12" VOTC Stormtrooper since I didn't have one. I have no interest in the Luke, but may buy a Fett and more Stormtroopers on clearance.

Only bought the ROTJ DVD Commemorative Figure set since I needed that Emperor. Got a nice Vader and Stormtrooper too.

Passed on the vehicles. I did buy a OTC Vader TIE, but eventually returned it.
Passed on the Jedi Council scenes until they go on sale.
Passed on the role play stuff and carry cases as usual.
Passed on the multi-packs as usual.

Devo
01-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Great year.

Highlights for me were all the background and non-core characters:

Gen.Dodonna
Cpt.Antilles
Gold leader Vandar
Gen.Madine
Gen.Rieekan (don't like his stance though)
Admiral Ozzel (ball-joint neck is a bit awkward but acceptable)
Jabba's court denizens
J'quille
Tanus spijek
Cloud car pilot
R-3P0
R1-G4

Good resculpts that I considered worth buying:

Luke Jabba's palace (best likeness so far though its a pity his lightsabre holding is weak)
Lando skiff guard (good likeness as well as overall more realistic sculpt)
Hoth Luke (would have liked wrist articulation though)
TIE pilot (didn't like it at first but now I wish I'd bought two)
Dengar (an ESB version was needed and it was done well)
Lando General (don't like the head, but the rest is good)
Wampa (no complaints)
Lobot (still far too tall, pity because its otherwise great)
Yoda (well I thought the head was a bit off but he's more realistic and can do good X-wing lifting poses)
spirit of Ben (good idea introducing colour, acceptable execution)
Dagobah R2 (I was hoping for this to be done, very realistic)
Leia Bespin gown (don't like the face as much as Bespin escape Leia but this is better than the cloth robe version)

worst figure:

Hoth trooper (hardly redeemable at all, totally missed opportunity)

Not quite necessary figures:

Bossk (unless people wanted an open mouth variant and a resculpted gun I don't see much of a difference)
Han endor strike (another opportunity to buy an AT-ST pilot for your landing bay scenes but as a Han figure it wasn't on my wishlist)

Vehicles:

Sancrawler was a disappointment, being a simple repaint of the old mold - a good repaint at that but this thing was scaled down even more than it needed to be. I was appalled at how small it is.

Y-wing - I have the 1999 version and ordered this before christmas (haven't yet received it, might come tomorrow). I love the packaging and another Y-wing is a good Yavin 4 hangar diorama filler which has also made me think about buying the Red leader X-wing.

X-wing - for completists or kids only - I understand why they reissued the crappy old mold but I wouldn't touch it even if I could get it free.

TIE fighter - our 'make-do' TIE until they eventually please god resculpt the damned thing. Don't need another one of these but there can be no harm in having TIE fighters on store shelves

Falcon - I do hope to get this eventually - the light-up engines sell it for me. I might not even give away my old one as I had planned - provided I make the space I could have 2 Falcons is seperate set-ups. A worthy reissue.

Slave I - I passed on this at retail (mainly because I couldn't afford both this and the sandcrawler which I saw at the same time) and now its gone. I may yet get it online. It was requested and was thus a good move by Hasbro. A bit small though and it lacks the ability to take on board Han Carbonite like the old one does.

Mandalorian Candidat
01-03-2005, 03:04 PM
I thought 2004 was a big improvement over actually finding stuff than 2003. I was able to get pretty much everything I was after with only a small number of figures being sighted only once or twice (Imperial Trooper, OTC Stormie, OTC IG-88).

The OTC stuff for the most part was great (loved the packaging), but I was pretty sick of the rehashes, especially many of those who were already released once in 2004 (Bossk, Han, JP Lando).

The big turn off was the promise of the slick VOTC line, which turned out to be high-priced vintage-lite. At a lower price the line would have been better, but $10 for a slightly better figure in a star case wasn't attractive to me.

While I won't be happy about the price increase, because we will no doubt get the same quality of figures that we were getting, I was glad to get many of the 2005 figures at 2004 prices due to poor on-peg pricing by WM and TRU.

As far as retailers go, TRU was the biggest disappointment with WM close behing. Very poor selection (trillions of Madines, Landos, and AT-ST Hans) and stocking hasbeens made it easy to make a choice of where to find stuff: Target. I'd say I bought close to 75% of my stuff from Target and only the 2005 figures at TRU with WM being used to fill in the gaps here and there. The clearances werern't as good as 2003, IMO. Last year I found tons of cool stuff at Target for $2.50 like the McQuarrie Stormie and the SA Cloney. This year you can get all the Madines and Bespin Leias you want for $3.

JediTricks
01-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Usually the head honchos here on SSG do this, but for some reason they haven't yet.We always do ours in January, last year it was late January but this year should be sooner as we've already got at least half of it done. Once the article gets its final edit from me and then Steve, it'll get put up and I'll post in here with some of my personal thoughts.

Kidhuman
01-03-2005, 08:27 PM
Darn JT, I was looking foward to your thoughts now. I guess I can wait. though.

DarthQuack
01-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Three days into 2005 and I just made the score of my life for me anyway :)
All at one Target I grabbed the following:

Clone Wars
General Grevious
Red Clone
Yellow Clone

POTC
Feltipern Trevagg
Myo
Dannik Jerriko
Stormtrooper
Scout Trooper
Sandtrooper

It was an awesome night for me even if I had to pay 6.99 a figure OUCH!

Slicker
01-03-2005, 11:10 PM
It was an awesome night for me even if I had to pay 6.99 a figure OUCH!
If you want cheap figures just start shopping with KH.:D

DarthQuack
01-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Well I can't complain too much about them since I scored figures earlier in the day for 2.38 a piece at Target. That and considering I bought 15 figures today at retail lol.

Droid
01-04-2005, 08:07 AM
Thrilled to get old school figures like Madine, Cloud Car Pilot, Yoda with snake, and Blue Snaggletooth.

Loved they made characters like Ozzel, Rieekan, Antilles, and Dodonna.

I'd say the best figure of the year was Tanus Spijek, followed closely by J'Quille.

I still can't believe they made R1-G4, and wish they would do more incredibly obscure figures like that. It was a great figure.

I was really happy with all of the Jabba's Palace stuff they did this year. I am glad they have put out some cantina stuff lately, but I don't think the cantina got quite as many figures as Jabba's Palace. I'm not complaining though.

I passed on the animated figures and vehicles, except the Sandcrawler, which is underscaled but I am glad to have.

I thought the Vintage Vader and Stormtrooper were truly great, and really think the Vintage Chewbacca figure is overrated. I think the Falcon mechanic Chewie is better.

I bought all the Screen Scenes and was disgusted with myself for doing so.

I really liked the continuation of the Galactic Heroes/Playskool line.

I know 2005 will be mostly Episode III product, I just wish I could get
Hem Dazon and Yarna before the new line ends!

Devo
01-04-2005, 08:11 AM
Well today I received my OTC Y-wing, Dutch Vandar and General Dodonna. The delivery people had to get back to work poor sods.

Dutch Vandar is not only the best pilot figure ever produced but, I think, one of the very best figures made over the entire run of the modern Star Wars line. This is McFarlane quality attention to detail and the articulation in the legs is amazing. I had no idea from the pictures that his knees could bend and turn, its hidden so well. Amazing figure.

Dodonna is also a great figure in his own right. Not greatly playable-with but then he didn't need to be. I just noticed though that this is Dodonna in his ceremonial outfit and we still need him in his war-room fatigues, that might be a long way off. Hopefully we'll get more Yavin rebel base figures like Willard, various hangar bay personel, and ceremonial hall figures.

Also the Y-wing looks fantastic in person with that paint job. I was initially sceptical but it makes the old one look plain.

Kidhuman
01-04-2005, 08:56 AM
If you want cheap figures just start shopping with KH.:D

I found the TPM wave onb Clearance at TArget today for 3 bucks and change. Too bad I had them

dindae
01-04-2005, 10:45 AM
Well I really liked the new stuff of 2004. If they continue like this I will always continue to buy figures. Unfortunately due to space constraints I am downsizing my collection and no longer collecting carded figures. The only figure I was really disappoint in was VOTC C-3PO. While I didn't care for the OTC repacks Hasbro did over many as repaints which made them easier to swallow.

Devo
01-04-2005, 08:10 PM
I just noticed though that this is Dodonna in his ceremonial outfit and we still need him in his war-room fatigues, that might be a long way off.

And now I've noticed that Cpt.Antilles's jacket is the one Dodonna wears in the war-room. It would be an easy custom if I had two of each.

Turbowars
01-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Come on Devo, where have you been? Everyone knows about the Cpt.Antilles's jacket is the one Dodonna wears in the war-room. J/K Devo.;) Yes it is an easy custom. In fact it's so easy I know Hasbro did it on purpose. I'm just surprised they didn't try to make a few more bucks and card the Dodonna with Antilles's Jacket.

Jaff
01-06-2005, 08:32 PM
The first two quarters of 2004 were fantastic. Allot of never seen before figs, and some brilliant resculpts. However after July it just went downhill with one retool after another and a few wonderful resculpts like VOTC Stormie, Chewie, and Darth. Finishing the Jedi council was nice, but it sure could have been a better year if Hasbro really put some time making us some more interesting "Collectible characters". Finally making Myo, and Filterpern and the Prequel wave was a fine idea, but this should have occured in July with subsequent new waves following up till now to get us screaming for new Episode III items. And they are totally killing SW momentem by only releasing one new wave and one vehicle in the next three months.

jedi master sal
01-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Actually from a business standpoint, it's quite easy to understand. They have been develpoing ROTS toys for the past year which doesn't allow for new toy release prior to the big day with the preview wave exception. Besides this give retailers a chance to sell off their old stock of SW toys, instead of having clogged shelves of product that won't sell because of the availability of the new ROTS stuff.

I'm quite happy with Hasbro this year. Sure there's been some stinkers, like the lame Jedi Council rehash sets. (I'm definitely waiting for these to be marked down), but not too much else. yeah there was alot of rehashes in the OTC line, but the never pegged to badly anywhere around me. Shoot the POTC flies off the shelves, never being around for longer than a day or two, and the Cantina wave I've only seen once (and consequently bought all that I saw on the shelves-for me and two other collectors-I'm not greddy you know)

I'd give Hasbro an A- this year for their efforts.

JediTricks
01-07-2005, 05:05 PM
BTW, in my comments in this "YIR" article that still hasn't materialized for some reason (*cough*steveislazy*cough* ;)), I boiled '04 down to "tepid", but I think Jaff's comment was closer to how I felt, the first few months of '04 were pretty good, but the rest was fairly blah, and what do you get when you mix warm with cool? ;)

EDIT: it appears the reason is because steve is sick. d'oh!

Kidhuman
01-07-2005, 05:34 PM
So, if he is sick and at home, what better place to be than on his website.

Veers
01-08-2005, 07:27 AM
I thought 2004 was a great year. I was disappointed to see old figures released again on the new OTC cards. I still got them all for my set. I loved the 12" OTC figures. I wish they would make another wave with Han Solo, Obi-Wan, Darth Vader, and Princess Leia. I think the best Star Wars toy is the Sandcrawler. That is a very awesome vehicle. I expect bigger things in 2005.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-08-2005, 12:02 PM
I really enjoyed the themed waves idea that they started out with last year (and thankfully continued this year). After the ROTS hype settles down, I'd like to see them do this again. It helps to get multiple figures for a diorama at a time, and that's really cool. I think my favorite basic 2004 figure is Luke Skywalker (Jabba's Palace). He has a dead-on sculpt, nice articulation, and great accessories (I still love how the cloak sometimes looks brown and other times black, just as in the film). It was definitely to get a full year without action features - unless, of course, you got the re-releases.

The ultra figures were the best we've seen in a while, they didn't have stupid gimmicks and were movie accurate, with big accessories. Just as they should be!

The best vehicle is the sandcrawler. Finally, after a loooong time of waiting, it came. The paintjob is excellent and it's always cool to get extra figures. I was pleasantly surprised by the updated Falcon, it's worth it even if you have the old one. The new Slave I is also awesome, since Hasbro promised us one a few years ago after the success of Jango's Slave I.

The vintage line was the highlight of last year. C-3PO was probably the worst and Yoda isn't as good as he should be but other than that I love these figures.

OTC was cool, even though it was just a bunch of old figures. I got the new ones as well as the repainted Tusken, Jawas, Gamorrean Guard, and Imperial Trooper. It's amazing what a little paint can do.

I enjoyed being able to complete the Council, even though the figures were less than stellar. But I guess now we can't complain that we don't have a Stass Allie right? Unfortunately due to poor planning on Hasbro's part, the blue flower things should be in the enormous yellow space in front of them and the brown part should be where the flowers currently are. And there are too many pillars, no exit, and more people should have the Oppo Rancisis-style chair. But oh well.

Overall I give 2004 an A-.

Ric Olie
01-09-2005, 02:04 PM
2004 was much better then 2003, although there were some dry patches along the way. In 2003 I only found new figures every 3 months so that was just four times during the whole year I bought anything.

Walmart was better at putting the figures out on the shelf in 2004 so it was only about 2 month wait for new merchindise to hits the shelves.

Here's what I got in 2004.

January:
Wampa (Hoth Attack)

March:
Luke Skywalker (Hoth Attack)

May:
General Jan Dodonna (Battle of Yavin)
Dutch Vander Gold Leader (Battle of Yavin)
Captain Antilles (Tantive IV Invasion)
Jabba the Hutt (Jabba's Palace)
Admiral Ozzel (Executor Assault)
Bossk (Executor Meeting)
General Madine (Imperial Shuttle Capture)

June:
Dengar (Executor Meeting)
Lando Calrissian (Death Star Attack)

August:
Luke Skywalker (OTC #1)
Yoda (OTC #2)
R2-D2 (OTC #4)

October:
Cloud Car Pilot (OTC #19)
Lobot (OTC #20)

December:
Galatic Heros C-3PO and Chewbacca
Clone Wars General Grievous

sith_killer_99
01-09-2005, 04:33 PM
2004 was definatly a good year for SW collecting. I managed to find everything at retail, with the exception of the DVD packs. :( Unfortunatly I was out of the country when these hit and aparently they flew off the shelves.

I was happy to see the soggy line die and was over joyed with the new design of OTC/POTC!!! Repacks or not this was a great line and I am sad to see it go, I can only hope that Hasbro brings back the Black/Silver card design after ROTS. I was satisfied with the VOTC stuff and managed to score a set of 12 inch figures for $15.00 each to open right after Christmas. I even managed to find a couple VOTC Stormies for $7.00 and a couple Imperial Troopers for $3.00 each.

Yes the post Christmas sale was the icing on the cake. Not to mention the early release of some POTC figures after Christmas that allowed me to snag almost all 16 figures for $4.77 each! :D

Fluke Skywalker
01-13-2005, 03:24 AM
After the nightmare that was 2003, I found 2004 to be a breath of fresh air. Early on in the year, the Gold Saga stuff finally started trickling in on a fairly consistant basis. I was darn sick of the blue cardbacks by then, but the figures in the last few waves of that line were pretty darn good.

Then the announcement of the OTC was a real shot in the arm for SW collectors. We can all argue the merits of only 20% of the OTC basics' being 'New', but I found the re-paints to be quite well done. The VOTC was one of Hasbro's best ideas in years and was very well done save for maybe a few of the figures. 'Cough' Yoda 'Cough'. I had little trouble finding most stuff at retail and was glad to see many scalpers getting stiffed on eBay with unsold figures. It was also nice to see the Unleashed line get wider distrb. in 2004.

Overall, it was nice to do a toy run and not feel it was going to be a wasted trip. It was an off year that felt like a movie year. I saw kids buying SW figures again and collector's excited about hunting down the newest wave. I think that's a pretty succesful year.

jedi master sal
01-13-2005, 02:51 PM
BTW, in my comments in this "YIR" article that still hasn't materialized for some reason (*cough*steveislazy*cough* ;)), I boiled '04 down to "tepid", but I think Jaff's comment was closer to how I felt, the first few months of '04 were pretty good, but the rest was fairly blah, and what do you get when you mix warm with cool? ;)

"LUKE" warm, ha ha ha

Kidhuman
01-13-2005, 04:15 PM
"LUKE" warm, ha ha ha

More like Luke "peg" warms .

JediTricks
01-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Worst... pun... ever! - CBG

;) Seriously though, I wish I had thought of that.

plo koon 200
01-13-2005, 10:05 PM
The year had the best start ever, better than POTJ, but then OTC came along. It practically had no new figures, or resculpts, and re-releases. The pacakging was great. Then, we got the POTC, which seemed to be what was not made from Saga.

To grade this year, it has to almost be looked as two seperate years, because that is what it feels like. Actually, I will just grade the lines we had for this year.

Saga A+
Clone Wars B+
OTC (really hard, MF, Sandcrawler, VOTC) A-
POTC A-

Overall A/A-

General_Grievous
01-29-2005, 12:38 PM
This year was great for me. I was pleasantly surprised at how much Hasbro improved over some of the bland figures we got in 2003 (Emperor and Rocket Booster R2, anyone?) by giving us some great and much needed figures, like Jabba's palace members, some cool Rebel figures, an Admiral Ozzel, and the much wanted General Madine and Jabba the Hutt.

The VOTC figures were pretty cool, except for the high price. The Vader, Chewie, and Boba Fett figures are my favorite. I do wish they could have done a better job on the Threepio, and they could have given Artoo a regular silver dome instead of the chrome one.

The animated Clone Wars line was awesome as well, but it left much to be desired. Sure, we finally got a Grievous, but where's Snow Bunny Padme and Clone Armor Obi-Wan?

Also, the end of the year gave us some nice Prequel figs that were well overdue, like Celebration Amidala, the Handmaiden, and Pablo-Jill.

But from what we have seen so far, I think 2005 will be an even better overall year. :)

JediTricks
02-01-2005, 02:50 AM
Well, here it is Feb 1st and we STILL don't have our YIR story up. D'oh! If you thought I was hard on '04 though, wait till you see what Steve has to say about it.

Kidhuman
02-04-2005, 08:06 PM
I just read the review o nthe main page from Tycho, JT, PF and STeve. It was great. I could picture all 4 in a room talking aboout it. JT, Tycho, and PF, discussing it in detail and Steve with two word answers. It was a great read. You guys made alot of good points, some I disagreed with, and some I could see where it came from. The one thing all of you wrote that I agree with is looking foward ot EP3 and its releases.

Devo
02-04-2005, 09:09 PM
I read it aswell. It seems 2004 will be known as the year of rehashes. I find that strange though because I feel like I picked up more brand new characters and more 'first-time remade from Vintage line' figures than any previous year. I felt 2004 brought great variety to my collection particularly for ANH and ROTJ. However other than Ozzel, the CC pilot, Rieekan and R-3p0 ESB, as usual, was served up little more than core character resculpts, or resculpts of already-done background characters - some well needed (dagobah luke - head looks wierd though) and others fairly pointless (Bossk...Bossk...again..Bossk). ESB badly needs more variety for its main locations - echo base, Star destroyers and Bespin.

As to the rehashes there were at least many worthwhile ones including almost every Imperial army builder Hasbro has done, attractive repaints (I even bought another Greedo when both the initial POTF2 version and the CT version are warming pegs in my store) and we've never seen better presentation than on the OTC cards.

Turbowars
02-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Would have been more interesting if they all wrote their opinions without reading what the guy before them wrote.

plasticfetish
02-05-2005, 02:55 AM
Would have been more interesting if they all wrote their opinions without reading what the guy before them wrote.I don't think it wouldn't have made much difference. In my case, I only had a chance to read Tycho's comments -- and it's not like I didn't really know what he was going to say in most cases. (We did just spend the whole year blabbing about this stuff.)

-----

I can understand Steve's lack of enthusiasm in looking back at the year. At best, it was a good, "it'll do 'til next year" kind of year -- but I really am getting pretty excited about the ROTS line. I think the preview figures have been cool, not perfect, but pretty close to it.

For me, 2004 seemed mostly to be the year where Hasbro tried to prove to us that they recognized what we hated from the last few years, and that they were serious about putting out something better. I think we got a lot of things that we'd been asking for: better articulation, better quality and play value, as well as cool packaging.

The re-releases did seem to overwhelm. After a while, after you'd finally gotten your hands on all of the repainted Gamorrean Guards that you could ever possibly want, it did (does) get a little annoying to see that stuff clogging up the pegs. But... I can see the logic behind the whole idea, so it doesn't bother me that much. Mostly, I'm just a little worried that maybe 2004 (early 2005) was "it" for original trilogy figures. I'd hate it if that was true, but I wouldn't be surprised if we never see any kind of significant attention paid to the OT again.

-----

Steve's comment about wanting more Expanded Universe figures is one that I think about a lot also. I mentioned wanting KOTOR figures, and now, after having just played through KOTOR2 -- I really want them. Maybe it would have been nice if Hasbro had cut back on the number of re-released OTC figures, and then given some attention to staring up a great EU side-line that has figures from a few different EU sources.

Who knows? That sort of thing may be what they have in mind for after ROTS. (I can't wait to ask them at Comic-Con this year.)