PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Goodies

aceguide
01-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Just wanted to report on the two sets I picked up for the SW family this year.

First, the Degobah x-wing. This is a truly impressive set. I read a while back about the improvements over the original release, but not having that one I have little to add. It is, however, one of the most impressive lego sets I own. Question - would it be considered to scale?

Also picked up the Y-wing/Vader Tie combo. Again, two great vehicles. The y-wing in particular. Comment: I built this before the x-wing and was very happy. That was until I had the x-wing built and was able to compare the size. I wish they had given the y-wing more bulk.

No matter what I would recommend both sets.

Slicker
01-04-2005, 06:52 PM
I to have both and am not at all disappointed with either of them. I have the original Y-Wing/TIE Fighter combo and it's not bad at all. Is it different from the original?

JediTricks
01-05-2005, 04:54 PM
The DV TIE in the new set is a total redesign, using the new design from the recent TIE/TIE/TIE/TIE set. ;) The Y-wing is a good ship, especially considering that it was designed so early on in the LEGO Star Wars series, though the figure is almost laying down on the job. :p

As for the Dagobah X-wing, it is a great set, massive improvement over the original. As for scale, it's impossible to gauge scale with minifigures since they themselves aren't remotely similar in body type to real human beings... this X-wing is a lot closer than most Lego toys though, which is why it's so expensive I guess.

LusiferSam
01-05-2005, 07:56 PM
I got a number of SW Lego set this year. Like aceguide I got the ESB X-Wing, but Luke's lightsaber blade is the wrong color. The new snowspeeder and TIE bomber (I hadn't picked it up before this). And my big present was the new Millennium Falcon. After I get done here I heading over to BrickLink to find the right colored heads so I can finish it (yes I'm still gripping about this).

JediTricks
01-07-2005, 04:54 PM
In the Dagobah X-wing set, the green lightsaber blade is Yoda's, it goes under his bed. I was a little surprised at that myself.

LusiferSam
01-09-2005, 11:12 AM
In the Dagobah X-wing set, the green lightsaber blade is Yoda's, it goes under his bed. I was a little surprised at that myself.
Oh, I knew that. But there's a second hilt and blade that Luke's (its really the first as you build the X-Wing before the hut). And that the one I was saying was green rather than blue.

JediTricks
01-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Is it? I hadn't noticed, I thought it was just an extra set, almost every SW set with lightsabers comes with an extra blade or hilt or both.

LusiferSam
01-10-2005, 12:09 AM
You normally got an extra blade and hilt? I got an extra hilt every now and then, maybe 4 or 5 total. I'm getting the raw end of that deal. Not that I have a big use for extra blades or hilts, yet. Double check the instruction around where you put the cargo hatch on, there's a step showing a blade and hilt to stored in the cargo hold.

aceguide
01-10-2005, 07:40 AM
I also seem to get the bonus hilt(s) and never a blade...

Should there have been two blades with the Degobah set? If so, I got shorted. :dis:

Mandalorian Candidat
01-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Is it? I hadn't noticed, I thought it was just an extra set, almost every SW set with lightsabers comes with an extra blade or hilt or both.

Every set I've ever bought that had at least one lightsaber in it came with an extra hilt, but never an extra blade. I went out to WM a while back when they were clearancing the MINI wave 1 sets for about $1 and got tons of the podracers to use the coupling pieces (energy binders) as orange blades.

I still have yet to open my Dag. XWing and TIE/Ywing sets. I have too many on my desk and need to make room.

JediTricks
01-10-2005, 02:18 PM
You know what? I do remember that step having those items put in there. Silly Lego.

I get more hilts than blades, but I've actually used extra blades for all sorts of things, even cut 2 in half to attach hubcaps to a Technic car once (it worked well, one half-blade in each wheel held the semi-dome piece in place), though my favorite use of extra hilts is as male-to-male connectors, I currently am using 4 of them to help extend the length of the barrels on the Dagobah X-wing itself (each gun is now extended by a hilt connected to a classic antenna which holds the radar dish and cone gun tip). The older sets, '99 to '01, had more extra blades IIRC.

Mandalorian Candidat
01-10-2005, 03:12 PM
Speaking of holiday goodies, did anyone else pick up the Lego advent calendar? I could only find them at Target. I think they were originally $15, but I found one at the after X-mas clearance for $4.

Kidhuman
02-03-2005, 04:52 PM
I picked up X-wing/Dagobah for 20 today.