PDA

View Full Version : Vanity Fair: ROTS Special - January 11th

Beast
01-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Just wanted to pass some info on about the issue of Vanity Fair that hits the stands on Jan. 11th. It features an amazing 4-panel fold out featuring the most important men and women from all six Star Wars films. Vanity Fair has had a special fold out cover for both E1 and E2. Though I have to say this cover is by far the best. Suitable for framing. :)

UPDATE: The Vanity Fair Star Wars Cover!
Source: Entertainment Tonight January 4, 2005

On entertainment news programs all over today, the Star War: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith cover for Vanity Fair will be unveiled. Entertainment Tonight gives a hint of what will be seen:

Tonight on ET, we go behind the scenes of the final 'Star Wars' film and get a sneak peek at the unprecedented, four-panel cover of Vanity Fair magazine, on newsstands Jan. 11, that brings together some of the biggest stars of all six films, including MARK HAMILL, HARRISON FORD, CARRIE FISHER and BILLY DEE WILLIAMS alongside NATALIE PORTMAN, HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN, EWAN McGREGOR, LIAM NEESON, SAMUEL L. JACKSON and GEORGE LUCAS (and, of course, Yoda, C-3PO, R2-D2 and Chewbacca)!

"This is the movie for people who didn't quite get the last two but enjoyed the first three," says JIM WINDOLF, contributing editor for Vanity Fair. "They're going to understand because there's going to be Wookies. So you can't go wrong with a lot of Wookies in the movie."

They also mention the film may get a PG-13 rating:

The tone of 'Revenge' will be darker than the usual 'Star Wars' movies, and Lucas "hints that Anakin Skywalker is literally going to go to the underworld, to hell itself," says Windolf. "He says it's going to be a violent movie; it looks like he's prepared to accept a PG-13 rating," which none of the previous films have received.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/MasterSplinter/StarWarsVanityFair.jpg

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
01-04-2005, 03:50 PM
I wonder if that is Prowse in the Vader outfit?

I wonder if Kenny Baker is in R2?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Wow, that is something. That is really great, I'll have to get that magazine.

Anakin doesn't actually literally go to Hell :P . . . it's called Mustafar. :D

2-1B
01-05-2005, 03:10 AM
Thanks for the link, Binks. I say Ahmed Best should be involved instead of the CGI JJB!
But at least he wasn't banned from the pic. :D

I'm surprised Liam Neeson is on board, considering how much he cracked on TPM.

Scruff, I'm sure that's not Prowse in the suit - he's been in rough shape lately so I doubt it.

Jayspawn
01-05-2005, 09:44 AM
Well JarJar. This is one of the best Star Wars photos EVER taken! I'm gonna track down an extra and frame it! I'm supprised they got the whole cast in 1 place. That photo is incredible! Cant wait to see the rest of the magazine!

It would have been nice if Ahmed Best, Anthony Daniels, David Prowse, and Kenny Baker had been included with their characters -but thats ok.

Rocketboy
01-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Too bad Frank Oz wasn't in there either.

2-1B
01-06-2005, 02:42 AM
Is it just me or do Jake Lloyd and Yoda look alike in that photo ?

Rocketboy
01-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Anyone pick it up yet? I got the last copy I saw at Target today.
It's a pretty good read.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

But a few highlights in case you're interested:

-Budget is roughly $115 Million.

-"I'm not a great writer" - George Lucas.

-Lucas is fine with a PG-13 rating.

-Anakin "sells his soul" in order to save someone he loves.

-After Anakin loses limbs and becomes Vader, he isn't quite as powerful, because he's only half a man. "His [Anakin's] ability to be twice as good as the Emperor disappeared, and now he's maybe 20 percent less than the Emperor." Obi-wan derailed the Emperor's plan by destroying what he wanted (Anakin) and that is why the Emperor goes along with the plan to turn Luke to the dark side.
This actually kind of makes sense and answers a question I never thought about: If Anakin/Vader was so strong, why did he let the Emperor boss him around do easily?

Jayspawn
01-17-2005, 10:28 AM
I picked up 2 copies at the grocery store. 1 to read and 1 to keep as I have with the past 2 issues.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-17-2005, 03:50 PM
I got this issue yesterday. Pretty interesting article, and the cover is amazing!

I think the whole deal with Anakin going to hell and selling his soul to the devil in order to save someone and all that is being taken too literally by some people. It said that he wants what the gods can't give him, so he goes to the devil. The "devil" is the Sith, Sidious, and the "gods" are the Jedi. He wants the power and ability to stop people from dying (as shown in AOTC) and he wants it any way he can get it, so he becomes a Sith. "Hell" can either be thought of as the dark side or more literally the lava planet seen in the trailer. He doesn't actually go to hell and talk to Satan. :p

stillakid
01-17-2005, 07:11 PM
I got this issue yesterday. Pretty interesting article, and the cover is amazing!

I think the whole deal with Anakin going to hell and selling his soul to the devil in order to save someone and all that is being taken too literally by some people. It said that he wants what the gods can't give him, so he goes to the devil. The "devil" is the Sith, Sidious, and the "gods" are the Jedi. He wants the power and ability to stop people from dying (as shown in AOTC) and he wants it any way he can get it, so he becomes a Sith. "Hell" can either be thought of as the dark side or more literally the lava planet seen in the trailer. He doesn't actually go to hell and talk to Satan. :p

Yeah, no doubt you're right about that. But are we then to believe that Darth Vader's entire goal throughout the OT is to find a way to keep people from dying? Nice progress on that, don't ya think Ozzel? :rolleyes: What a stupid f**k character development for one of the most recognizable villains ever. :dis:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Yeah, no doubt you're right about that. But are we then to believe that Darth Vader's entire goal throughout the OT is to find a way to keep people from dying? Nice progress on that, don't ya think Ozzel? :rolleyes: What a stupid f**k character development for one of the most recognizable villains ever. :dis:
A new scene will be added into the next version of ESB:
PALPATINE: So, I heard you killed some officers.
VADER: Yeah, they were idiots.
PALPATINE: What happened to your little "I want to stop people from dying" shtick?
VADER: Ohh . . . f**k! :D

I suppose we'll have to see the film before we know for sure about this saving people from death thing.

Beast
01-17-2005, 08:41 PM
It's more like saving people he cares about from dieing. So his fall to the darkside and rebirth as Darth Vader reforges him as someone who has lost everything he ever cared about, so killing some officers is not beneath him. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rocketboy
01-17-2005, 09:55 PM
It's more like saving people he cares about from dieing. Like Qui-Gon, Shmi, and Padme. But in the end it's Anakin himself who's responsible for Padme's death, so his fall to the darkside and rebirth as Darth Vader reforges him as someone who has lost everything he ever cared about, so killing some officers is not beneath him. :)Hope that wasn't a spoiler in there...

Anyway, I agree. Plus, by the time we get to the OT (and maybe even Episode III), Anakin has given in to the dark side, which may have something to do with his seemingly random killings. Maybe after the ( I assume) loss of Padme, he just doesn't give a rat's behind about who lives and who dies.

Beast
01-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Doh. Doh. Doh. I forgot I put this thread in the 'No Spoilers' Area. *THUD*

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
01-18-2005, 01:13 AM
It's more like saving people he cares about from dieing. So his fall to the darkside and rebirth as Darth Vader reforges him as someone who has lost everything he ever cared about, so killing some officers is not beneath him. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Yeah, whatever. Continue trying to make excuses for this mess. It doesn't make any sense at all and most likely never will.

2-1B
01-18-2005, 01:20 AM
Then it also wouldn't make sense that Obi-Wan thought Ani was "dead" in that he "became" Darth Vader.

I loved the photo used for this magazine but the cover itself sucks after they tossed all those article descriptions on it.

Rocketboy
01-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Doh. Doh. Doh. I forgot I put this thread in the 'No Spoilers' Area. *THUD*Eh, no biggie. That's pretty much a given now anyway.