PDA

View Full Version : EE Exclusive SA Clone packs - Sweet merciful crap!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-04-2005, 06:16 PM
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS85688AA

Get a load of this! 16 SA Clones, with different ranks and battle damage! Our prayers have been answered!!!

Reefer Shark
01-04-2005, 06:24 PM
That is pretty sweet! Although very expensive......

Anyone want to go in on a set with me? :crazed:

Beast
01-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Yeah, but get a load of the price. $34.99 + Shipping for four SA CloneTroopers. And he fact that there's 4 different variations. Sheesh. I may at some point snag a set of the 4 colors - clean, but otherwise it feels like a massive rip off. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

AmanaMatt
01-04-2005, 06:31 PM
Well, exclusives are cool, but you sure pay for them. Considering this is an expensive item(s), Hasbro could at least be color accurate...the green trooper should be Teal in color, but we'll see. I would have been happier with 4 in a little white box for $25 or so.

I ordered a set of each, plus an extra color (clean) set to open.

dindae
01-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Everything about this excites me except the price. It isn't what I would call a rip-off at 8.75. Lets face it we've all paid more for less. Still it means that everyone will get one if they are paying attention. I was hoping to get a longer breather before the onslaught of product but oh well.

Slicker
01-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Now I hope all of you army builders quite yer bi**hing!!:D Now the only person that can keep you from having an arseload of SA Clones is you and your cheap habits.:p

Turbowars
01-04-2005, 08:37 PM
IMHO it's a great deal. If you buy the case the figures come to $6.23 each. You guys should get together and buy a few cases. Steve should buy a bunch of cases and sell them for 7 or so to the members here. Do like a pre-order thing. Just a thought.:classic:

MandalorianKid
01-04-2005, 09:01 PM
good price i guess. If it's an online exclusive then yearh thats a steal. I wonder how fats there gonna go.

Val Da Car
01-04-2005, 09:34 PM
at $6.23 each that is cheaper than the current price of rehashes and POTC figures at Target & K Mart.

Beast
01-04-2005, 09:43 PM
at $6.23 each that is cheaper than the current price of rehashes and POTC figures at Target & K Mart.
$6.23 each if you buy a three hundred dollar case of of them. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
01-04-2005, 09:48 PM
There's aways a catch.

Val Da Car
01-04-2005, 09:49 PM
wow...48 figs for $300 clams.....I don't know if I could open them at that price.

I have had 56 Stormtroopers for the past 6 months and finally had the chance to open them tonight.

Turbowars
01-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Yeah the packaging looks pretty cool. Can't wait!!

Val Da Car
01-04-2005, 09:59 PM
I will need a 2nd job to pick up a set of them!

Slicker
01-04-2005, 11:27 PM
The packaging would be the only selling point for me. I'm a carded/boxed collector as I've said many times and the packaging looks quite good and would display nicely but at $120 I would find it tough to pick them up but who knows.

sith_killer_99
01-04-2005, 11:54 PM
Hmmm, well, I just got rid of most of my Clone Army. I will say this, considering that these look to be the Super Articulated Clones that saw such a short release and were very popular, it's not too bad of a deal. Also consider that this is an exclusive, which I think is a mistake on Hasbro's part, and considering the new increase in prices on figures, these seem to be priced about right...under the circumstances.

I may end up buying 1 set, just for the heck of it.

I like the extensive variations!

Unfortunatly, this puts a damper on my new/old idea of doing a "Troops" line for Star Wars.

Ji'dai
01-05-2005, 02:07 AM
Wish these were a brick-and-mortar exclusive and not a online only one. I knew Hasbro would re-release the troopers - I only bought one of the Clone Wars Clone Trooper Army 3-packs last year and those were preposed. Still, the price point is prohibitive so I think I'll pass. Unfortunately I doubt they'll have trouble selling them at even those prices.

Kyle Katarn
01-05-2005, 02:10 AM
Sweet but kind of expensive...

Kidhuman
01-05-2005, 09:22 AM
Nice set, no cash. A bit steep. Now manybe some people can get them.

MaxRebo34
01-05-2005, 09:43 AM
DELETED POST

MaxRebo34
01-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Doc Brown: Marty, you just aren't looking 4th dimensionally.
Marty: Right Doc, I have a real problem with that...

Must of us should be able to afford these without worrying about money. How you ask? When these are released in April/May some of us should be getting our wonderful TAX returns back filled with lots of FREE MONEY :)

Reefer Shark
01-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Hate to break it to you, but that wonderful tax return isn't free money. It's just a small fraction of what you've been paying Uncle Sam all year ;)

Plus, some of us (me) don't get any cash back at all..... :cry:

Still, if I can I would like to just get the clean color variations.

DarthQuack
01-05-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm planning on hopefully getting back close to a grand to help pay off my measly credit card. So I'll be able to pick up ROTS figures as well. Back to the Clones though, I just plan on getting one set of clean colored figures.

kool-aid killer
01-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Man, im tempted, though the price kind of scares me off. If someone is tempted on going half and half on this, im all ears. The way i figure it, we split the price and we each get: two white clones, two white battle damaged clones, two colored clones, and two battle damaged colored clones. It would only cost each of us $60 (plus shipping) for eight clones, not bad considering their current ebay going rate. The only problem that really sticks out is deciding what colored clones go to whom.

dindae
01-05-2005, 11:56 AM
you could always buy an extra set of the colored so you get the full set.

DarthQuack
01-05-2005, 12:24 PM
I'd be up for splitting a case of 4 4 packs, I would take one set of white and one set of colored, no preference if it's clean or dirty.

kool-aid killer
01-05-2005, 12:43 PM
If youre interested send me a pm. We can iron out the details and so forth in private and not take the thread off topic.

Dindae, Im not really worried about getting a full set of the colored clones. Im just interested in getting some that are clean and others that are battle damaged. But thanks for the suggestion.

jedi master sal
01-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Wow, Hasbro answers our prayers and what happens... a lot of the typical Beowtching that happens with collectors.

You need only look here at the "Dear Hasbro" thread:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=25421&page=2&pp=10

or here:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=22758

Okay, so you have to pay more. The SA Clone is far and away the best figure of 2004, not just my opinion but many collectors. Hasbro has gone a step further and PAINTED them into ALL of the officer's ranking, PLUS they've added battle damage. Sur et might not cost that mnuch more for them to do it, but they didn't have to do this in the first place. We begged and they responded. Not just with the SA Clone, but all these other variants. For those carded collector, okay so it pinches your wallet a bit if you want a set of each, still it's not that bad. Army builders, I'm almost shock and disgraced at the number of you who balk at the price. Do you think we would get something for nothing? Considering the recent price hike, plus this is a GREAT figure and the variants, we ARE getting a good deal.

The moment I saw these, I ordered them. Not just one case, but the SUPER case of three sets of each four variants, by myself. This isn't to blow my own horn, but geesh fellas, if you're serious Army builders, completist, whatever, this shouldn't even be an issue. Team up with others and get the big case. Heck that's what sites like SSG are for. Not just to post, but to make friends with other collectors and help each other out. I'm sure Hasbro and Entertainment Earth could care less if you buy these one set at a time or by the case. SO instead of griping, be grateful. They've decided to reissue what is argueably not just the best Clonetrooper/best fig of 2004, but, IMHO the best Army builder to date AND in color variants.

Sorry, I went on so long, but it's tiring to hear all the compaints, when Hasbro finally answers the call and went well above what we asked for.

Don't sour this for everyone else and more so Hasbro, who may rethink reissuing figures in the future. I think they often feel like there's no satisfing us collectors, so why bother, because when the try such as this, they still get hammered.

Okay, I'm done.

I'm gonna go play with my clones now...

El Chuxter
01-05-2005, 03:15 PM
This is tempting. Very tempting. Man, I wish it would end up like the Stormie 4-packs on clearance through the Wizards of the Coast stores, but somehow I don't see that happening.

And I can't begin to say how incredibly wrong it is to see people saying they don't need any whites but are going to buy some coloreds. :eek:

dindae
01-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Sal you forgot a thread. While geared more to the new clones I think it applies.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=24757

jedi master sal
01-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Sal you forgot a thread. While geared more to the new clones I think it applies.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=24757

Thanks for looking that one up, Dindae. As you can see, I already proposed the 10 pack of clones with the four colored officers and 6 white clones, all SA variants, packaged no less instead of being in a plain white box. Hmmm, I wonder if my suggestion helped them make the decision to do this....I won't take credit as there's no proof, but I'm glad my suggestion came to fruition, if not exactly the same, close enough.

-Sal

Reefer Shark
01-05-2005, 04:57 PM
I don't think anyone is really complaining that much, just some minor griping about the price. Many of the comments here mention how cool these sets are, and I think people are generally happy about it. But the fact is, $35 for a four pack is over priced, no matter how you look at it. For that matter, $6.99 for a 3 3/4" figure is over priced (you pay that for a 6", super articulated ToyBiz figure).

I think part of the appeal of the original release was the fact that it was a great figure for a great price. People that actually found some back then were extremely happy. Now it's still a great figure, but just not as great of a price is all.

dindae
01-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Thanks for looking that one up, Dindae. As you can see, I already proposed the 10 pack of clones with the four colored officers and 6 white clones, all SA variants, packaged no less instead of being in a plain white box. Hmmm, I wonder if my suggestion helped them make the decision to do this....I won't take credit as there's no proof, but I'm glad my suggestion came to fruition, if not exactly the same, close enough.

-Sal

Yeah I wonder if it was the amount of feedback or those knockoff clone army builders that sparked the desire from Hasbro.

JediTricks
01-05-2005, 06:38 PM
The one thing I think is going to hurt my interest here more than anything else is the fact that these guys are only in the 1 movie, they're different in ROTS than they were in AOTC. I have 4 of 'em already plus the various other clone troopers that came out since '02. Here's the kicker though, if these had been $25 or less, I would have bought a set and driven down to pick it up to save on the shipping since they're only around 8 miles from here.

DarthQuack
01-05-2005, 07:36 PM
I kinda agree with you Jedi, just think what's going to happen after ROTS comes out, another set of these as update clone's that look more like Stormtroopers?

sith_killer_99
01-05-2005, 08:28 PM
I'm with JT as well, this is the main reason I got rid of all my loose Clones, I had a pretty big Army of them, but it really turned me off. That is why I have decided to stick to the OT Army building only philosophy.

Though, I am still an avid MIMP collector and will buy a set of these to keep in the package.

BTW, does anyone have a quality pic of these in the package?

JEDIpartner
01-06-2005, 08:53 AM
The coloured ones are kinda cool but I cannot justify $34.99 for these guys. Not at this point in the game at any rate. Like the previous few posts stated, we're getting new clones and I've already spent a good bit of money on AOTC clones. Don't need 'em.

And... as far as the packaging goes, I'm inclined to believe they will just ship in a white box like the other 4-pack army builders did.

aceguide
01-06-2005, 09:42 AM
I have two issues with this realease:

1 - Why so much? I open so I couldn't care less about the packaging. Why not release the 4 packs and keep the price down a little.

2 - With ROTS on the horizon, and a whole NEW army of clones getting ready to launch, I cannot see aggressively (and expensively) building an already respectable clone army (I have about 20 various AOTC figs).

With that being said I also am sick and will most certainly pick up at least one pack of the clones. I will admit that I will wait and see if there is any price reduction for non-mint packaging etc...

jedi master sal
01-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Okay, let me answer some questions and comments here:

All you need do is go to the Entertainment Earth site to get a reasonable pic of the sets. Also, this answers the other comment about packaging. They will NOT be in a plain White box. These are meant to be displayed as well as opened.

I agree that there will be yet another whole army of revised clones to get, but that's not stopping me from picking these up. If you don't just go by the movies then you can see in the comic books that the AOTC style armor is the most prevalent. They didn't switch over to the newer armor until a month or two ago.

I don't know about the rest of you fellows, but I'm out to make a HUGE diorama of the Battle of Geonosis and the Arena Battle as well. I did some database updates on my collection last night becuase of this eventual purchase and this is going to put me at just under 400 clone troopers of varying styles. As soon as they put out a Battle Droid 4-pack, I'll be clamoring for those as well.

To the point about the bootlegs, I think JT is quite a bit on the mark there. These can be had for relatively cheap on eBay. Though the ack articulation, the prepose is great, IMHO. The marching ones are perfect for the Coruscant "pass and review" scene and the shooting stance is a powerful pose, which was seen in AOTC.

I'll admit that I got some. Not just on the look of the different poses, but the cost was unbelieveable. I got 50 in one shot and it only cost me $67. That's only $1.34 each. So while so may see "see that's my point about the price", you have to consider the quality and playability of the SA Clone. It FAR exceeds the bootlegs and any other version (of any trooper not just clones, IMO). To me they ARE worth the extra cost. The fact that we can repostion them in just about any position is what makes them AWESOME. If you are just keeping them MIB, meh, get a set, be happy that they came out with them and leave the rest for us opener/army builders. ha ha

As to why there is a big push, it's VERY plain and simple. Hasbro knows that when the next movie is released, the focus will be on that movie's style of clone. The clones from AOTC will take a back seat, if you will. They know there has been a high demand for the SA Clone, so what better time than now, when they know they can sell them before the hype of ROTS becomes so great. It probably took them til now for there market research/planning/marketing/production to catch up to the demand and now they are unvailing these sets of clones. I think from a business stand point, they've done just about everything right with this set. Besides it keeps EE.com on the map for when the eventual shift of SW toys goes to the net.

You know it will too. Mark my words, within a couple of years after ROTS, the market for SW toys at Brick and Mortar stores will practically have ceased. The only saving grace for a time, might be the alleged TV show and evne then it won't be enough to sustain the line at retailers. We are going to need e-tailers like EE.com if we want to see the SW lin continue. Do you want to pay more? Of course not, but the alernative of NOTHING is much worse, IMHO.

If I'm wrong so be it. I actually hope that I am wrong and that SW toys remain in stores for many years to come, but I'm nto going to disillusion myself into believing it. We only need look back to the OT to see that within about 2-3 years after ROTJ, that the line for all intents and purposes died off.

With that said, keep those clones coming!

-Sal

jedi-cpa
01-06-2005, 03:00 PM
$34.99 plush shipping for 4 figs...Come on!!!!

Not a chance, I took it up the tail pipe on the jawas...not again.

jedi master sal
01-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Again, let me point out that you can pool together with others here to get a large case. It brings the cost down to $27 and change for each set, if you get the big case. SO you have to work out the logistics of who gets it shipped to them and then how much mroe to ship to you (or you to ship to others if your the one getting the initial shipment). So it's a little work. I know we shouldn't have to go through something liek that for toys, but if it's worth having to you, a little extra effort shouldn't be a problem, especially when it entails saving you some cash.

I guess I should consider myself lucky then, since I belong to a city and state collecting group and the Fanforce I belong to also has collectors in it. So I haven't had a problem with splitting cases to get what I want. (I'm getting a case on my own and another 1/3 of a case with two other fellas.)

Darth Alex
01-06-2005, 07:13 PM
I have very little time on the net tonight...alot to do...but I will pause and say....
"There is a God, he loves us so...." - Bill Hicks
FINALLY! Yes, this is a lot a dough, but the saving starts tonight. I'll probably get two sets.
I never thought this would be done....glad to see I stuck with the hobby, eh?

Chaddymac
01-06-2005, 08:16 PM
This is tempting. Very tempting. Man, I wish it would end up like the Stormie 4-packs on clearance through the Wizards of the Coast stores, but somehow I don't see that happening.

And I can't begin to say how incredibly wrong it is to see people saying they don't need any whites but are going to buy some coloreds. :eek:
HAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

That's so wrong. But funny usually is.

Turbowars
01-06-2005, 08:23 PM
LOL, I didn't catch that before. I love it, funny stuff.;)

sith_killer_99
01-06-2005, 09:48 PM
All you need do is go to the Entertainment Earth site to get a reasonable pic of the sets.

I went to the site, but the pic of the box is pretty small, even when I clicked to enlarge it, maybe it's my monitor settings. It looks like these will be packed like a Cinema Scene, with 4 Clones per window style box.

Slicker
01-06-2005, 11:48 PM
That's what I thought when I first saw the pics. They look like the old cinema scenes from WAY back in the 90's.

jedi master sal
01-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Yeah, that's about the best pic of the package for now. And yes, they are packaged like the cinema scens. I like that idea. Sure they could have saved money (and possibly passed on some of that saving to us, but unlikely) and went with the plain white box, but that doesn't speak to those who want to show off their stuff. I can't see how I'd pay $25-35 for a small box of 4 clones and not take them out to display them, then just tell someone, "Oh yeah this is the set of Colored Clones with Battle Damage."

A non-SW person would laugh his buttocks off.

Packaging them this way is, yes a little more expensive, but also caters to the needs of the carded collectors, while us openers/army builders will open them anyway.

What I would like to see is the option of buying thes in a cheap white box and JUST White (non battle damaged clones) at a cheaper price. But that's probably not going to happen and I'm just very grateful that we are even getting these in the first place.

Slicker
01-07-2005, 01:18 PM
I think the packaging can be justification for the high price point. The original Cinema Scenes were something like $20 for 3 figs so this isn't too bad. I may consider getting them if they're still around in a month or two. Fat chance of that but who knows.

JediTricks
01-07-2005, 06:23 PM
To the point about the bootlegs, I think JT is quite a bit on the mark there. These can be had for relatively cheap on eBay.Just to clarify, I never said anything about bootlegs. It's a good point whomever said it though, but not one I would have thought of as I didn't end up getting any.

you have to consider the quality and playability of the SA Clone. It FAR exceeds the bootlegs and any other version (of any trooper not just clones, IMO). To me they ARE worth the extra cost. I find that argument a little thin, these were already offered at $5 a piece when in regular release, and while these are exclusives, a major factor of Hasbro toy cost is their tooling and the tools here have already been completed and "paid for" by their first run. As exclusives, I can see a little extra cost to the consumer, but considering these tools don't require any changes at all, only an additional paint mask on the battle damaged and rank colors sets, I think there should have been a little more mitigation here unless they're running less than 7,500 sets total (in which case they should have made an effort to get more sets made, obviously). I notice not one person here feels the poster pack-in even remotely makes up for the high cost even though that is precisely why it's here.

As to why there is a big push, it's VERY plain and simple. Hasbro knows that when the next movie is released, the focus will be on that movie's style of clone. The clones from AOTC will take a back seat, if you will. They know there has been a high demand for the SA Clone, so what better time than now, when they know they can sell them before the hype of ROTS becomes so great. Yeah, but that probably would have been wise to get them out BEFORE the film gets released then I think. :p

It probably took them til now for there market research/planning/marketing/production to catch up to the demand and now they are unvailing these sets of clones. Bullpucky on that line of thinking, Hasbro had a year to get these back out the door even though there was no new product development needed beyond a quicky paintmask addition for SOME of the product. It's a year turnaround to develop a figure's design and tooling, not to take an existing toy and repress it with new packaging, hence Saga Jabba's Palace Luke getting turned into Luke Hologram and then one of the first figures on the OTC cardback.

Besides it keeps EE.com on the map for when the eventual shift of SW toys goes to the net. EE doesn't need to be kept on the map that way, they have a lot more than just Star Wars on their site, their SW super section isn't even the first thing on the page anymore.

You know it will too. Mark my words, within a couple of years after ROTS, the market for SW toys at Brick and Mortar stores will practically have ceased. The only saving grace for a time, might be the alleged TV show and evne then it won't be enough to sustain the line at retailers. We are going to need e-tailers like EE.com if we want to see the SW lin continue. Do you want to pay more? Of course not, but the alernative of NOTHING is much worse, IMHO. Oh, I misunderstood what you meant, as you can see by the comment I made just above. I don't think EE and similar can keep the failing line alive for very long though, they'd need to push I'd guess at least 25 to 50,000 units of each figure for Hasbro to keep it alive without ANY retailer help even though this line depends as much on kids as it does on collectors. Look at Playmates' Star Trek line, it tried to stay alive with only E-tailer support and died a painful quick death soon after.

If the packaging is a large portion of the cost, I have to wonder why they bothered at all when they could have sold a LOT more units at a lower price. "I can sell 5,000 units and get $37 each, or sell 20,000 units and get $27 each"... gee, which one gets more money, $185k or $540k?

Chaddymac
01-07-2005, 07:29 PM
You know what woulda been a nice idea? Use the water-reveal trick from the commtech stormie for the battle damage, so you get both features in one figure.

Oh well...

kool-aid killer
01-08-2005, 02:16 PM
That wouldnt have been a bad idea. Did the blaster affect stay on until more water was applied or did it fade away after time? Maybe that was taken into account before they applied that feature to this clone set.

Chaddymac
01-08-2005, 09:40 PM
That wouldnt have been a bad idea. Did the blaster affect stay on until more water was applied or did it fade away after time? Maybe that was taken into account before they applied that feature to this clone set.
It stayed on until you applied more water. It was actually very slick, way better than the stuff they used on 80's toys for essentially the same effect.

Oh well...they probably figured they could get more money this way. I can't decide whether I hope they're right or I hope they're wrong.