PDA

View Full Version : Oops, dropped my lightsaber!

stillakid
01-04-2005, 09:18 PM
If you dropped a lit lightsaber and it hit the ground, would it keep going forever?

hango fett
01-04-2005, 09:28 PM
according to games, like jedi outkast 2: jedi knight, no. i doesn't really go through walls....plus, it should have slid right down durges chest if what your saying would happen, SK...but, if they did exist, they probably would....that would suck to drop it!
HF

Kyle Katarn
01-04-2005, 10:04 PM
In Jedi Outcast when you drop it it turns off and it earns a yellow glow that means you can recover it using the force.

One time I dropped it, but it got stuck in a wall, so I needed to reset the game to have my lightsaber again.

Slicker
01-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Lightsabers probably have kill switches on them like some jet skis and snowmobiles. When you take your hand off of the kill switch it goes out such as when Luke gets his hand lopped off in Empire. It goes out as soon as his hand loses pressure on the switch.

If it doesn't have a kill switch installed it would probably go out as soon as the D batteries ran out.

Exhaust Port
01-04-2005, 10:45 PM
The handle would stop it. If you dropped it on it's side the handle would still be resting on the ground no matter what the blade was cutting through. If you could somehow drop it perfectly perpendicular to the ground the width of the handle cylinder would be larger than the hole cut by the blade and stop the whole lightsaber from continuing.

2-1B
01-05-2005, 05:20 AM
Good question.

Well, I'm not so sure on the kill switch thing only because Vader threw that lightsaber at Luke and it stayed ignited.

Qui-Gon shoved one in those metal doors and had to give it time to melt the metal away. So then what if you did drop it perpendicular to the dirt ? Would it burn right through or would it come to a rest since there is nowhere for the burned matter to go in order to get out of the way ?

:confused:

sith_killer_99
01-05-2005, 07:02 AM
In the novels they have both a kill switch and a permanant switch, so that they can cut out when you drop it, or you can ignite it and throw it while it's still on.

Either way I would think that a Jedi could turn it off or ignite/keep it ignited when they drop it.

Kidhuman
01-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Only if you have the safety set will it go out. If not, Caesar is right, it will burn until the crystals expire.

Exhaust Port
01-05-2005, 11:15 AM
It seems we have 2 different question interpretations here. Stilla are you questioning whether the lightsaber would continue to stay lit forever after being dropped? or if the saber would "fall" downward forever since there appears to be nothing that a lightsaber blade can't cut through?

My answer above was geared towards the second interpretation.

DarthQuack
01-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Well I don't plan on trying it with my Force FX Vader saber :) even though I think it would stay on because it has a little switch :D

stillakid
01-05-2005, 03:41 PM
It seems we have 2 different question interpretations here. Stilla are you questioning whether the lightsaber would continue to stay lit forever after being dropped? or if the saber would "fall" downward forever since there appears to be nothing that a lightsaber blade can't cut through?

My answer above was geared towards the second interpretation.

Well, I never intended for this geeky question to cause such interpretive problems. :D

But for the record, I never factored in a kill switch or the magic crystals. :rolleyes: I asked the question from the assumption that it would stay lit. And because a lightsaber can cut through anything (except a Trade Federation door :rolleyes: ), I wondered if it would travel through the planet you dropped it on.

JediTricks
01-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Lightsabers do have 2 switches, one that is a dead-man's switch like we saw in ANH when Obi-Wan was killed, and one that stays on even when the user lets go like when Vader threw his saber in ROTJ.

We also saw that it takes a while for a lightsaber to cut through dense materials in TPM, and that the hilts are certainly damagable.

So, if a saber was dropped while left on, it would slowly melt through the ground but probably stop at the hilt because there wouldn't be anybody pushing on the saber. Eventually, after a few hours or days, the energy system would give out until someone activated the recharge cycle.

Exhaust Port
01-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Wouldn't an unstoppable weapon be a porcipine ball made from thousands of lightsabers? Create this ball of lightsabers (each pointing outward with the hilts joined at the center) and either throw it into your target or swing it like a medivel mace. It would be quite a weapon to use against a capital ship as it would travel completely through the ship.

stillakid
01-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Wouldn't an unstoppable weapon be a porcipine ball made from thousands of lightsabers? Create this ball of lightsabers (each pointing outward with the hilts joined at the center) and either throw it into your target or swing it like a medivel mace. It would be quite a weapon to use against a capital ship as it would travel completely through the ship.

D...amnnnnnnn. Somebody get ILM on the phone. Just one more Star Wars film left to put that idea into. :cool:

LusiferSam
01-05-2005, 10:13 PM
I've offend wondered about the physics of lightsaber, but as I've said before one shouldn't think too long or too hard about the physics in SW (way too much is wrong).

If you cut a hole in the Earth all the way threw (which me for is some where in the Indian Ocean, I think) big enough for you to jump threw and you jump down it, when you finally come to rest you'd be at the center of the Earth. Newton law of graviton says that your center of mass is a attracted to the Earth center of mass. So if you could drop a a lightsaber strait down and if it could cut a hole big enough for the hilt (which I think it could) it would stop at the planet's center (assuming the planets' core doesn't destroy the hilt and hence the lightsaber first).

I never liked the EU explanation of the two switches. I like a one switch better. Its on or off. If it leaves your hand it turns off as a safety unless you use the Force to keep it on. And what's a Sith care how he uses the Force? Much cleaner explanation in my mind.

The 'Xir
01-07-2005, 04:00 AM
OK here's one! What if it does cut all the way through, but as it travels through the eartch crust, it comes upon a well, or spring, or underground lake, then it would probably short out, like Ben's did in TPM! What if it comes upon an underground oil well, would it ignite the fossil fuel? Look out! :cool:

If a wookie falls in the forrest, and no one's around to see it, did it really happen? :stupid:

If an ewok grows an inch, but is only filmed from the waist up, does it get midevil on some stormtrooper-arse!!! :confused: :crazed:

If I keep making this stupid stuff up, will I get banned from the forums? :stupid: I'll stop now. :ermm: :D

Exhaust Port
01-07-2005, 04:46 PM
D...amnnnnnnn. Somebody get ILM on the phone. Just one more Star Wars film left to put that idea into. :cool:

Just remember, you heard it here first. :D

JediTricks
01-07-2005, 04:58 PM
The porcupine lightsaber ball has a few flaws, as a tethered weapon on its return trip it'll probably kill the user, and as a thrown weapon it'd need to have a lot of velocity to overcome the lack of mass that it'd need to penetrate thick materials.

What if it does cut all the way through, but as it travels through the eartch crust, it comes upon a well, or spring, or underground lake, then it would probably short out, like Ben's did in TPM! What if it comes upon an underground oil well, would it ignite the fossil fuel? Look out! OT-era lightsabers have a "flashback seal" to protect them from shorting out in water according to TPM-era reference materials (EU, granted, but it was put out there), and Obi-Wan's saber worked in the rain in AOTC (though what a lost opportunity for cool effects was that?). As for igniting flammable materials, we've never seen a lightsaber do so, they didn't light Ponda's clothes on fire nor have little flames shooting out when Qui-Gon was melting the door, so I suspect the way they work makes them safe to use in those environments.

Exhaust Port
01-07-2005, 05:51 PM
The porcupine lightsaber ball has a few flaws, as a tethered weapon on its return trip it'll probably kill the user, and as a thrown weapon it'd need to have a lot of velocity to overcome the lack of mass that it'd need to penetrate thick materials.

You're right, think of all the knights of yore killed by their own weapon.

http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/58/58225/pa200609.jpg

As for launching such a weapon the "hub" of unlit lightsabers could be shot out of a cannon towards the target. Upon leaving the gun the lightsabers could ignite. You'd end up with a rather fast ball of lightsabers.

Kidhuman
01-07-2005, 06:33 PM

Not really JT. The user could use the force to shut it down. Or have a rmoete shut off switch.

JediTricks
01-07-2005, 06:44 PM
KH, the Force is out, otherwise another Force-user could shut it off. I suppose a remote might work, but seems like a lot of effort (and lightsabers) just to do the same thing Vader did with the 1 saber in ROTJ. Reminds me of the "gun that shoots lightsabers" discussion we had a while back. :D

EP, I'd love to see the sabermace handle in use, it comes back and the Jedi tries to hold the sabermace away from his body only to have the momentum cut the handle in half and send it flying into his head. ;) The final insult would be the handle half smacking his corpse.

Exhaust Port
01-07-2005, 09:15 PM
It would be a great weapon to be swung by a battle vehicle against the robot armies in Ep. 1. Anything is better than those blue balls.

stillakid
01-07-2005, 10:56 PM
EP, I'd love to see the sabermace handle in use, it comes back and the Jedi tries to hold the sabermace away from his body only to have the momentum cut the handle in half and send it flying into his head. ;) The final insult would be the handle half smacking his corpse.

Is that like a Saber-arang?

Slicker
01-08-2005, 12:35 AM
Anything is better than those blue balls.
This is a kid friendly site so I won't say a word.

This one is just too easy.

Exhaust Port
01-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Boy, I missed that. :D

JediTricks
01-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Is that like a Saber-arang?
Didn't Vader do the saber-rang in ROTJ? That worked out pretty well so maybe there's hope for the sabermace and the gun that shoots lightsabers... though when that puppy backfires, watch out! :D