PDA

View Full Version : My mom is battling inoperatable colon cancer

bobafrett
01-05-2005, 09:48 AM
bobafrett here, on Christmas I called my mom and she told me that she was supposed to go on the Tuesday after Christmas to set up for hospice care for herself. She has been battling colon cancer for the past two years. Because the tumor is on the base of her spine, they cannot remove it. Instead she has been going through Chemo and radiation treatments. She has lost all of her hair. I made a trip North to Wisconsin to see her after she told me about setting up for hospice care. When I arrived, my brother and sister-in-law took turns shaving my head in support of my moms fight. I have put pictures here of my head being shaved, which by the way, I have never wanted to see my self bald seeing as I had brain surgery when I was 8, that left a horseshoe shaped scar, as well as a large indentation on my head. But since my mom was bald, it was worth it to make her feel better, and it worked. I will add pictures of my mom and I, as soon as I get them from my sister-in-law.
http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?shopperid=UWG69TA2KM538JV7GNU918UWS0 4H0KAE&userid=bobafrett&album_id=191835

Since talking with others about it, I have found that a lot of folks have frieds or loved ones who have suffered with one form of cancer or another, feel free to share your stories!

kool-aid killer
01-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Im sorry to hear about that, Fret. I thought shaving your head to show your support of her was a nice touch. Ive been lucky enough to not have any friend or family member suffer from any type of cancer. I wish you and your mother the best.

Exhaust Port
01-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Very noble of you to cut your hair. I think the look works for you. :)

I had an aunt fight cancer for a few years as well and watch my ex-girlfriends grandfather battle a brain tumor last year. I can say from my experience that family support makes all the difference for the cancer patient. There is a lot that being surrounded my loveones provides that no treatment or procedure can duplicate.

It looks like you and the rest of your family is already providing that so keep it up.

DarthQuack
01-05-2005, 11:39 AM
My grandfather died from cancer back in 2000 from bone-marrow cancer I believe it was and he was 80 years old and it was a sad experience to go through and now his sister has cancer at the age of 86 I think or right near that age and she has been a trooper as long as I can remember and it's tough to lose people you care about to cancer.:( :neutral:

Rocketboy
01-05-2005, 01:11 PM
I've sort of lost two grandparents to cancer.
They both got rid of the cancer, but never fully recovered afterward and their health slowly deteriorated.

JediTricks
01-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Man, that is really awful, I'm sorry to hear the bad news Frett. At least she has you at her side, I'm sure that means as much as anything.

A friend of mine from online who is here in the forums, r2dee2, went into the hospital for what sounds like cancer over New Years:
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=26170
she was staying in Hawaii for the past few months with her husband for work and I heard from him on the first saying she was very sick and in the hospital. She had surgery on Monday, but it looks like they didn't catch it in time. I have never gone through anything like this really - my grandfather who is turning 92 today had a tiny tumor on his nose this summer but his doctor caught it immediately - so I don't really know how to react, it's so shocking and disheartening, I feel like a schmo even talking about it with others because I can't see how my feelings could matter in something so painful and personal.

Slicker
01-10-2005, 11:41 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that Frett. I myself (along with my brother and forumite captainsolo1138) have also lost 2 grandparents due to cancer. My grandmother died in 1985 of breast cancer and my grandfather died in 2002 of, from what I can gather, cancer of the everything. It just spread to almost every part of his body. Both were on my mothers side.

It was sad to see my grandfather laying in a hospital bed not really knowing what was going on around him as he was the funniest most active person you'd know. The best part about him was when he'd try to tell a joke and he couldn't even get out the first line because he'd be laughing to hard. Unfortunately I was only 4 when my grandmother died and I don't remember much if anything except for the funeral. I still miss my grandfather and I'm sure I'll always continue to.:cry:

Kidhuman
01-11-2005, 08:55 AM
Frett, I will keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers. I respect you for doing that for your mom. Hope all the best for her.

dindae
01-11-2005, 12:26 PM
I have had plenty of cancer in my family. My mother also had colon cancer but it was opperable and was easy to take care of in comparision. My sister has brain tumors that they are unable to remove but were able to shrink with radiation. My grandfather died of lung cancer. My uncle had skin cancer removed. I also have an aunt with cancer (at the moment I can't remember where at the moment) it was in remission but came back recent and she is nearing the end of her treatment. Hopefully it will go back into remission. I must say that my family has been lucky for the most part and treatment have worked. My grandfather wasn't aware he had cancer when he died and never had the opportunity to receive treatment. I hope she never stops fighting as new advances seem to pop up all the time.

bobafrett
01-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks everyone. As of today, my mom is back in the hospital. She had some blockage, and an infection, and was running a temperature. I haven't been able to call her at home because her phone was dissconnected. My youngest sister lives with my mom, and helps take care of her, which is something I'm not sure I could stomach.

A friend of mine from online who is here in the forums, r2dee2, went into the hospital for what sounds like cancer over New Years:

Are you speaking of Marilyn JT? She has been very helpful to me in the past answering most any question on SW collectibles.

Just checked the link, and it is Marilyn. My thoughts and prayers go out to her, and her husband.

Thank you for sharing your stories.

JEDIpartner
01-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Hey there Frett... REALLY saddened by the news of your mom. I've lost a couple really close aunts to cancer and it was a really difficult time for all of us. I know what you are going through to a certain extent. You are loved, friend... :(