PDA

View Full Version : Variations...the true beginning

sith_killer_99
12-31-2001, 11:11 PM
Contrary to some beliefs, the "variation thing" did NOT start with the POTF2 line.:frus:

The first Star Wars variations started with the Early Bird special from Kenner WAAAAAAY back in 1977/78! The famous Green Chewbacca Bowcaster.

Other examples of Kenner variations are the vinyl cape/ cloth cape Jawa. This is in fact the most expensive variation in the world of Star Wars collecting.

And let us not forget the Bespin Guard variations, or Lando with or without teeth.
:D :)

And who could forget Gray/white hair Obi-Wan, yellow/brown hair Luke, or even big/small head Han Solo.

Ah, you say, but those are not "card variations"!

Well, this was another one Kenner was good for.

It started with the 12 Back cards, and became a HUGE mess after that. Not only did Kenner change the number of figures on the card back, but they also changed the pictures used on the front of many cards. Boba Fett was the most famous, but there was also Chewbacca and others. ;)

There were also a number of "special offer" card variations, Boba Fett, Admiral Ackbar, and The Emperor.:eek:

Not to mention the fact that all of the original Star Wars figures were re-carded on Empire Strikes Back cards. Which were in turn re-carded on Return of the Jedi Cards.

The list goes on and on and on and on.....well you get the point.

All in all, I'd say Hasbro is just keeping the pace with Kenner as far as variations go.

So what are your thought?

Obi-Don
01-01-2002, 01:31 AM
I believe your right. I have see these from the beginning. Although i wish that Hasbro would work on putting out different figures instead of making the same ones with different hair color and such.

Darth Evil
01-01-2002, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I agree with Obi-Don.

Jayspawn
01-01-2002, 11:04 PM
I agree. Well I'm sure that Kenner had no intention of people worrying about which color hair or what kind of cape the figures had. Suprise!

Sith Worm
01-01-2002, 11:12 PM
I hate variations i think it takes away from collecting if you want a certain figure of a character buy it if not who cares if it has his teeth showing or not and if his heads a diffrent size or if his hairs diffrent color, this is my opnion and i have spoken it please do not waste bandwith on trying to tell me why i'm wrong I respect your opinion very much thats your cake...

ACPin
01-02-2002, 08:39 AM
At least the first variations in the vintage line were made to correct mistakes which is not the case with the current POTJ line.

Darth Evil
01-03-2002, 11:44 AM
There are so many characters left to make into figures and Hasbro are bringing out more of the same with subtle differences, it's kinda stupid!

evenflow
01-06-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Contrary to some beliefs, the "variation thing" did NOT start with the POTF2 line.:frus:

The first Star Wars variations started with the Early Bird special from Kenner WAAAAAAY back in 1977/78! The famous Green Chewbacca Bowcaster.

Other examples of Kenner variations are the vinyl cape/ cloth cape Jawa. This is in fact the most expensive variation in the world of Star Wars collecting.

And let us not forget the Bespin Guard variations, or Lando with or without teeth.
:D :)

And who could forget Gray/white hair Obi-Wan, yellow/brown hair Luke, or even big/small head Han Solo.

Ah, you say, but those are not "card variations"!

Well, this was another one Kenner was good for.

It started with the 12 Back cards, and became a HUGE mess after that. Not only did Kenner change the number of figures on the card back, but they also changed the pictures used on the front of many cards. Boba Fett was the most famous, but there was also Chewbacca and others. ;)

There were also a number of "special offer" card variations, Boba Fett, Admiral Ackbar, and The Emperor.:eek:

Not to mention the fact that all of the original Star Wars figures were re-carded on Empire Strikes Back cards. Which were in turn re-carded on Return of the Jedi Cards.

The list goes on and on and on and on.....well you get the point.

All in all, I'd say Hasbro is just keeping the pace with Kenner as far as variations go.

So what are your thought?

Yes, variations started before the line even got out in stores.The telescoping Luke and Green Cross-bow Chewbacca were the first.