PDA

View Full Version : Vanity Fair Star Wars full cast picture - wouldn't you like to be there?

Tycho
01-06-2005, 01:08 AM
Imagine if this was Celebration 3?!!!

Harrison Ford is in the picture!

I love how they had almost every main character that made Star Wars what it is.

Notably missing are only 4 really: Darth Maul, Wicket (that's just plain anti-Ewok discrimination if you want to know the truth of it), AND BOTH FETTS - no Danny Logan, Jeremy Bulloch, or Temura Morrison - what a slight to the galaxy's best bounty hunters! Also not featured, probably to save paper from a 5-page pull out spread, is Jabba the Hutt (the wide-angle lenses were'nt that wide).

But dude, I love how the cast is displayed book-ended with Mark, Carrie, Harrison, and Billy with Chewbacca on one side, and Ewan, Hayden, Natalie, and Yoda on the other. With greats like Liam Neeson and Ian McDiarmid in the picture, with Christopher Lee, it's really cool.

I noticed some things: since the photo is blury, Liam looks really young and the fold in his shirt almost casts a shadow like a Padawan braid. I could photoshop that to look like Qui-Gon as Dooku's padawan!

Also, Christopher is sitting right there by Pernilla. Is this implying that Dooku and Shmi did conceive Anakin together as I've long liked and suspected?

Carrie and Harrison look great together. So nice to see what the married Han and Leia might look like after 3 kids and tons of cocaine.

General Greivous somehow made the picture. Is there going to be store -display standups of him or something? If so, wouldn't that top any life-size SW collectible you could own (save for Darth Vader himself?)

Oh man, wouldn't you have liked to have been on the set for this photograph?

Do you think it's real, or that some people like Harrison were photoshopped in, because many of these personalities are famous and busy. I mean you'd think Sam Jackson might've something better to do than women's magazine photographs?

Anyway, with Harrison hanging out, do you think that means he'll make a surprise cameo appearance in Episode 3? My Han-Solo-Is-A-New-Type-Of-Clone-theory is still alive.

At the least I hope Harrison is coming (with George) to Celebration 3! Wouldn't that top everything else that could happen at C3? THE HAN SOLO - live in person!

Dude, if you haven't looked at this picture, check it out!

2-1B
01-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Harrison Ford wouldn't be caught dead at a SW convention.

Tycho, I can't wait for this movie to come out, if only to end your Solo-Clone theories from ever being typed again. ;)

JediTricks
01-07-2005, 03:51 PM
The minute I saw that photo, I was fairly confident that it was composited - obviously the digital characters were, but I mean the actors. It just doesn't seem possible to get that many people together at once with all their busy schedules in one place and have them pose like that, it'd take hours of set-up and posing and shooting and possibly years of perfect scheduling, Natalie Portman has to do press for "Closer", Liam Neeson has to do press for "Kinsey", Lucas is busy overseeing Episode III and the super-duper-nifty versions of the OT, Samuel L Jackson is busy doing 18 movies that week, Ewan McGregor is still driving around the world on a motorcycle, Jimmy "why am I in this picture at all?" Smits has been on-set shooting for The West Wing, Harrison Ford is busy saving lives and being the most popular actor in cinematic history... ;)

Plus, the width of the shot is so panoramic, either it'd have to be shot with a special camera or shot VERY far away and cropped down like crazy.

Tycho
01-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Do you think Carrie shot that part of the picture with Harrison?

JediTricks
01-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Yes, but she doesn't really have a very busy schedule now that she's focusing on being a mom and part-time writer. I wonder if she's older than Pernilla August or just looks that way.

stillakid
01-07-2005, 10:13 PM
The minute I saw that photo, I was fairly confident that it was composited - obviously the digital characters were, but I mean the actors. It just doesn't seem possible to get that many people together at once with all their busy schedules in one place and have them pose like that, it'd take hours of set-up and posing and shooting and possibly years of perfect scheduling, Natalie Portman has to do press for "Closer", Liam Neeson has to do press for "Kinsey", Lucas is busy overseeing Episode III and the super-duper-nifty versions of the OT, Samuel L Jackson is busy doing 18 movies that week, Ewan McGregor is still driving around the world on a motorcycle, Jimmy "why am I in this picture at all?" Smits has been on-set shooting for The West Wing, Harrison Ford is busy saving lives and being the most popular actor in cinematic history... ;)

Plus, the width of the shot is so panoramic, either it'd have to be shot with a special camera or shot VERY far away and cropped down like crazy.

Interesting question, but I doubt it's composited. If this was Entertainment Weekly, then most of the cast would have found a reason not to show. But since Vanity Fair has been doing major spreads for the past couple films, and since this is the last SW, then it's likely they all flew in for a few frames of film. It's even likely that Lucasfilm or Vanity Fair paid for the flights and hotels, which makes this a very expensive shot. But they know that a gazillion geeks out there will pick it up so it's worth it to them.

As far as the camera goes, I'm not an expert in stills, but pretty much any large format camera would do it. That's typically what they use anyhow for this kind of stuff. But if push came to shove, something like a WideLux would easily handle that kind of frame.

The bummer is that I didn't save the TiVo'd Access footage of the shoot. I can't remember if the behind the scenes footage showed the whole set. Hmm?

Exhaust Port
01-07-2005, 10:34 PM
I would hope they could make this picture available as a computer wallpaper.

stillakid
01-08-2005, 12:00 AM

Not that one, but look here:
http://www.aptirrelevance.com/sw-archive

for some other great wallpapers and pix. WARNING: Major ROTS spoiler pix!

Exhaust Port
01-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Wow, there are some great pictures there. Thanks for the link Stilla.

Kidhuman
01-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Thats a great link Stillakid. Thanks

InsaneJediGirl
01-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Those are some nice pictures.As for the Vanity Fair one,it was probably cropped in.It would have been hard to get everyone there at once just for a few shots.

JediTricks
01-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Someone with decent imaging skills could do so with the photo attached here, but the actual image would be less than half the height of the screen because the dimensions are so far off, so something would have to be added around it or it could be centered or tiled.