PDA

View Full Version : “You’ve made a commitment to the Jedi Order. A commitment not easily broken.”

2-1B
01-07-2005, 01:44 AM
Why not? Why can’t it be easily broken? What if Anakin wanted out of the business and just planned to run off with Padme? What would he have to do to break the commitment? Of course he isn’t a slave to the Order so he can go eventually, but at the same time since he has been trained in their lethal ways, they DO have a duty to keep their prodigies in check, right?

Count Dooku “was once a Jedi” according to Master Windu. How did Dooku leave? Was it easy for him to break the commitment he made?

JediTricks
01-07-2005, 05:29 PM
the one thing they never talk about in the films are the Jedi Repo Men who, if you leave the order, take back your lightsaber and cut your thumbs off with it. ;)

That's a good question though, Yoda talks about Luke having to hold the deepest commitment and warns him that shirking his responsibility to it by going off to fight Vader may have serious consequences, but he means more within himself as well as for the fate of the galaxy, but that is in contrast to what Obi-Wan meant in AOTC with the quoted line since Obi-Wan wasn't referring to the latter and didn't clearly seem to be referring to the former either. My guess is that modern Lucas was getting at the former, it's hard to break that commitment within one's self, as a connection to the Yoda comments in the OT, but since he didn't write those lines I think it came out a little less effective.

El Chuxter
01-07-2005, 05:35 PM
I don't think there really are Jedi Repo Men, but I think all every Jedi knows that if he (or she, or it, or whatever) quits, the Mighty Bear Clan will be sorely disappointed. Do you want to see a cute widdle Whiphid crying? I think not, and neither do the Jedi.

Kidhuman
01-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Being a Jedi is a lifer long commitment. In the PT they are "The GUardians of the Galaxy." You never stop being a Jedi either. Even after the Council was destroyed, there were still new Jedi potentials, but no one could train them. So, by giving it a commitement, you were probably going to be around forever

stillakid
01-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Why not? Why can’t it be easily broken?

Lawyers. G*ddam**d f'*king lawyers. :mad:

JediTricks
01-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Oooh, galactic litigation! "In the name of the Emperor, you've been served with the following papers."

TheDarthVader
01-11-2005, 08:03 PM
I agree with JT. That was a nice answer. I guess the jedi feel that once you break the rules of the order you start down a different path that may lead to the dark side. Maybe it will not lead to the dark side...maybe Anakin could have walked away and have been married in happiness etc etc. But he eventually turned to the dark side like Dooku had done. It is about the inner self I guess. Heck of a question. I have no clear answer. Maybe stilla is right...galactic lawyers.

B.
TDV

The 'Xir
01-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Quote: "The courts take even longer to decide things than the Senate!" - Queen Amidala of the Naboo

There's your answer! ;)