PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Review: Chewbacca

LusiferSam
01-09-2005, 11:54 AM
This weeks figure is Chewbacca (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=6633&sort=7&cat=796&page=9) , the 8' tall walking carpet that rips people's arms out of their sockets. Last of the early bird figures Chewbacca was available from '78 to the end of the line and can be found on all major card backs. The notable variation is the accessory, the bowcaster. Early versions were molded in a dark greenish plastic, where as later versions were in bluish black.

All the other heroes had more than one figure of them made, but Chewbacca. There's one and only one vintage version. So to me this was an essential figure to have had. With that said I think this is a pretty good figure. Its taller than most, has brown fur and Chewie's bandolier and pouch, plus blue eyes. Not many vintage figures have eye color. For once both hand are molded the same, but their both equal as useless. The fur isn't the best. Its like the sculptor was trying too hard. And finally the fact the head is fixed is something that bothers me more now then it did as a kid, so I'll let it go.

Kidhuman
01-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Chewbacca as a figure was the only one who could rival Vader. The were equally as tall and had plenty of throw-downs in the middle of my room. While Vader whipped everyone, Chewie held his own. CHewie was a great figure. He was very handy and actually fit in the Falcons cockpit. He busted my small army of 2 stormies many an afternoon and evening. He was unstoppable. I think I only had one of him, never needed a doiuble, thats because Wookiees are built to last.

vader121
01-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Chewie was a definite must have as a figure. One of the coolest vintage figures made. Sculpted well and the taller stature made it extra cool for a kid.

A few issues was that if you lost his gun you were out of luck to arm him as you couldn't put any other gun in his hands. Not sure why they molded both his hands like that. They look cool but withouth the original gun he is unarmed and vulnerable.

I don't recall exactly when I got mine but I beleive that it was in a lot of stuff my grandparents got me back in 1978 or 1979 with the Landspeeder.

Rocketboy
01-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Ah, good old Chewie - the figure that started an obession (or a disorder, depending on how you look at it :) ).
Chewie was my very first Star Wars figure, which was saved at the last possible second from certain destruction beneath the lawnmower. I must have been 3 or so at the time. I played with that Chewie figure nonstop, so my mom bought be many more Star Wars figures. Eventually Artoo and Threepio replaced Chewie as my favorites as a kid, but Chewie will always be a special figure for me.

I never realized there was only 1 Chewie made. I guess there was never really a need for a new one, since he didn't really change. One with new hands and a moveable head would have been nice though.

LusiferSam
01-11-2005, 11:50 AM
I got Chewbacca for X-mas in my stocking. My mom decided to be cleaver and take Chewie off his card so there would more room for the other items she wanted to put in there. Well the figure made it in, but not the gun. I was really ticked off about this, at the time I blamed a jolly fat man for it. Needless to say it didn't happen again. So in the end I didn't have Chewie's bowcaster to lose a kid.

But even without his gun Chewbacca could kick some butt. I'd have him toss bad guys around like rag dolls, down holes in the backyard or flights of stairs. He also must have lugged C-3PO around more times than not. Personally I'm surprised my Chewie figure isn't in worst shape. The limbs are a bit loose and have changed color, there's a bit of paint wear on the nose and pouch, and he still has some dirt on him from the times I buried him.

stormie
01-13-2005, 08:29 AM
Chewbacca is one of the few figures that I actually have a vivid recollection of receiving. It was a weekend, since I was outside playing. It was sunny and fairly warm outside, so it was either Spring or Fall (I'm betting Spring). For no other reason than "just because," my mother and oldest sister bought me Chewbacca, Han Solo and (I think C-3PO) figures, some Star Wars sheets (the light blue ones), plus a model of C-3PO, when they were out shopping at the mall. They called me in to my bedroom when they got home and the sheets were already on the bed and the three figures and the model were near my pillow. I remember feeling very excited as I carefully opened the figures. It's funny the effect memories have. Those were some very good times.

As a figure, I always liked Chewbacca for his height and durability. I also liked that the bowcaster fit on his arm snugly and didn't get knocked off easily like some of the pistols for the other figures. Still have my original and his weapon and he really doesn't look a day over 26! ;)