PDA

View Full Version : R4-G9: Utilising VOTC R2-D2 concepts...?

JEDIpartner
01-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Based on the pictures posted here (http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/3828-swR4G901.jpg) and here (http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/3828-swR4G902.jpg), it appears that the sneak preview R4-G9 figure has some elements that were created for the VOTC R2-D2.

The centre leg looks as though it is removable. If it is not, then Hasbro did a remarkable job in making this thing retract all the way inside the droid.

The new figure also has separately moulded "wires" for its main legs. I'm hoping that these features become standard design for all forthcoming astromech figures.

Turbowars
01-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Very cool on Hasbros part. Well done! I'll try to score a few of these.

Fluke Skywalker
01-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Looks pretty good. I passed on the Astromech Sneak preview figure from AotC, but I plan to get this one (Maybe this guy actually appears in the movie ;) ) I think Obi-Wan needs to stop leaving him out in the rain though. He looks a bit rusty.

adultstarwarsfreak
01-11-2005, 09:38 PM
I am pleased...very pleased with the sculpt! This is an improvement over the VOTC artoo, and I hope we will see an R-2 version quickly. Have you noticed the detail of the dome? Way to go hasbro!!!

Kidhuman
01-12-2005, 07:54 AM
Nice looking, will pick it up, maybe two...

AmanaMatt
01-18-2005, 05:16 PM
That is the VOTC R2 just repainted, right?

It seems like the same sculpt to me...

Slicker
01-18-2005, 07:45 PM
It's a decent enough looking figure which I'll no doubt buy (stupid completism). What is that he comes with? Is that supposed to be a hologram of Naboo or possibly Kashyyyk?

JEDIpartner
01-19-2005, 09:06 AM
It's a "planetary hologram". That's how they list it... *shrug*

kool-aid killer
01-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Im digging it. Its got an unusual (at least to me) color scheme, especially with the dome. I also like the planet hologram and the coloring done to signify continents. Very cool plus you can never have too many extra droids.

adultstarwarsfreak
01-20-2005, 09:41 PM
That is the VOTC R2 just repainted, right?

It seems like the same sculpt to me...

I compared the two and...the bodies are slightly different. And the dome is a new sculpt...it is more defined where our favorite lil artoo lacked!

Val Da Car
01-20-2005, 10:13 PM
I'll take two!

AmanaMatt
01-20-2005, 10:34 PM
I compared the two and...the bodies are slightly different. And the dome is a new sculpt...it is more defined where our favorite lil artoo lacked!

Interesting, I do dig the paint deco...and look, no chrome head!

Turbowars
01-20-2005, 10:52 PM
What's up with name. R2 units should stay in they own group. Damn Lucas messing with continuity.

Turbowars
01-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Someone over at GH said they opened R4 and his middle leg isn't removable. You twist his head and the leg retracts. That sounds kind of wrong.lol

Good to hear though. Looks as if Hasbro got the Astro right this time.

adultstarwarsfreak
01-23-2005, 10:13 AM
Someone over at GH said they opened R4 and his middle leg isn't removable. You twist his head and the leg retracts. That sounds kind of wrong.lol

Good to hear though. Looks as if Hasbro got the Astro right this time.

I agree. Jabba's Sailbarge artoo had a retractable leg and I had a problem of retracting the leg to where it was completely hidden. Its a coll concept, but I am concerned that it will not work propely.

Turbowars
01-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Yeah, but the difference now is the leg retracts all the way in. He didn't meantion if it works well though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-24-2005, 11:53 AM
I didn't know that . . . I got him yesterday and I just figured you moved the leg yourself. It seemed oddly hard to get it out and in. I'll check it out, that sounds cool.

JEDIpartner
01-24-2005, 12:30 PM
I find that mechanism to be rather unbelievable. I dunno... it just smells stinkowhiff!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-24-2005, 04:57 PM
I just tested it out, and on mine, anyway, it works quite well. Imagine that - a good action feature that works! ;) :D

Slicker
01-24-2005, 05:20 PM
I just tested it out, and on mine, anyway, it works quite well. Imagine that - a good action feature that works! ;) :D
Well, accidents do happen. I wouldn't expect it to often from Hasbro.

JEDIpartner
01-25-2005, 08:14 AM
The bad part is... that you can't turn his head without moving the leg in and out... :frus:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-25-2005, 12:07 PM
The bad part is... that you can't turn his head without moving the leg in and out... :frus:
Actually, once his leg is either all the way out or in (whichever you prefer), you can turn his head just fine, but it makes a clicky sound.

JEDIpartner
01-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Seriously? Who would have thought they could create such a thing? I would have figured it was another case of Episode I Artoo's rockets.

TheDarthVader
01-26-2005, 10:52 PM
He speaks the truth. :) You can turn his head when the leg is fully up or down, and it will not break. R4-G9 is the only preview figure I bought 2 of. One I opened and one I am keeping carded. I almost bought 2 of Greivous.

B.
TDV

JediTricks
01-29-2005, 01:50 AM
I disagree, the dome has the exact same sculpt that the VOTC figure had, except without the chrome. The same problem with the top eye in the wrong place at the seam instead of on the left rear top door, the same new orientation with the separation between the front top doors over the radar eye, the same "fade-out" right side door, it's all the same except for the holo-projector eye in the front having the hole to accomodate the accessory. The body and legs are the same too, except for mechanichal changes to accomodate the rotating dome retracting the 3rd leg. The body even has the same odd depth of the lower twin vents, and the slight raised portion above the blue rectangle just beneath the dome. It's the same mold, just retooled for the holo-projection and the new leg gimmick.

Personally, I dig this figure, it's pretty cool and I really like the gimmick. The leg retracts further than other 3rd-leg astromech figures, but still just a hair less far in than the movie version and the 12" figures (and of course, the wheel sticks out a bit).