PDA

View Full Version : Lord of The Rings toy reveiws

Man In The Box
01-01-2002, 04:32 PM
I'll reveiw the ones I have or have experenced in any peverese manner.

Frodo: The fig is nice except for his damned "neadrathal" stance. Does really capture the movie frodo because of that. The base LOOKS nice, but if you have frodo on that thing with his sword erect he knocks him self off. The ring is slightly too big for Frodo to wear, at least my one is anyway. Maybe it works like a hola hoop or something.

Legolas: The cool thing about this aryan elf is the way you can pose him. Looks like he just shot off an arrow. The arrowe firing action is ok, but it does shoot far for what it is. He comes with two daggers, which are kinda vestigial. Apparently your spoused to put one in his hand and squeeze his legs like a perv and he stabs stuff. I think the action was to orinianally be able to draw an arrow, but they could never get it to work. Theres a 'seath' in his sack where you can store at least one dagger.

RingWraith: This one rocks my socks. It looks all creepy and junk, esp if you have it under some shadows. My only complaint is the robes get in the seaths and vice versa and the smaller spoon that teloscopes in is kinda ghetto.

Saruman:This one is my fave of all the ones ich have. The robes are phat and it looks good. His claw like magnetized hand is also nicly sculpeted(lil things do count, it's the power of the hammer behiend the nail not the size of the nail itself). The magic eye accesory thing is alright. I just lave the ball on it'' base and put a big silver ball bering in his hand...it looks cool. The bad part is that stupid pointless arm moving crap.

Sith Worm
01-01-2002, 10:04 PM
Actually the Lurtz figures has a bow and arrow that fires pretty well...

Man In The Box
01-02-2002, 06:26 AM
you must mean the armored Lurtz. The only I've seen is that newborn Lurtz, and it's a bloody pegwarmer. I dont really like that one. To me it just looks like this generic monster with a loincloth and a whip. I'm not into all that kinky stuff.

Is that battle Lurtz you was talking aboot, is that a single fig or is it one of those two packs?

Rollo Tomassi
01-02-2002, 09:53 AM
The coolest LOTR figure is that big friggin' ROCK TROLL with "giant hammer squashes everything flat" action! That thing is totally cool!

The Ringwraiths on horseback are pretty sweet, too, and I am buying as many of those as I can find (until I have 9 of them, that is...)

Wolfwood319
01-02-2002, 12:49 PM
The newborn Lurtz and Orc overseer are figures based on an event that was cut out of the movie. Lurtz led a revolt against the normal orcs, thus bringing the Uruk-Hai into Sauramon's favor, or something like that.

I like the backdrops that come with Sam and Frodo, especially Sam's, with the Orc head popping through the door.

I thought the Gandalf figure was cool too, with his light up staff action.

The cave troll rocks my world.

Man In The Box
01-02-2002, 12:54 PM
Man I gotta check out the cave troll. The cave troll looks like illigitmate child of the rancor and the harry potter troll or orgre or whatever that was. I'm not gonna go out for the whole LOTR collection but I'm definatly need to get:

Gandalf
Gimli
Ringwraith
RingWraith w/ horse
Morian sword guy whatever(doont know if they already did this guy, but he was some tight armor)
Cave Troll

derek
01-03-2002, 11:09 PM
i bought the 12 inch versions of gandalf and liv tyler today. they look much better out of the package, and gandalf is much improved when you comb his hair and beard down.

i switched liv tyler to a cy girls body. and like it much better this way. the clothes on both are excellent and the real scan shows promise.

i wouldn't buy the frodo if it was free. it looks horrible. they should of used molded hair on frodo and included "rudy" with him.

i really wish they would of made the elf leglaos and viggo mortinsion's characters first.

bigbarada
01-05-2002, 12:03 AM
I've always been partial to dwarves so Gimli is my favorite. He comes with five axes! (One of them even has a sunder feature!)

I would love to see the Cave Troll. Was he an exclusive?

The Arwen and Frodo with Horse pack looks pretty nice but Frodo seems kind of small compared to his carded release.

BTW, the ring that comes with the carded Frodo is supposed to be child sized. So kids can pretend to have an evil, comsuming ring of power all their own.:D

Man In The Box
01-05-2002, 02:23 AM
ahhh so they are trying to temp our children in to satan. that ring=the doo-vel

Woo. FIVE axes!?! I DEFINATLY gotta have that one.

master jedi
01-05-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
BTW, the ring that comes with the carded Frodo is supposed to be child sized. So kids can pretend to have an evil, comsuming ring of power all their own.:D

Actually if you look at the back of the card it shows that you stick the ring into a slot and turn it and the figure will turn too when it's on the stand that it comes with.

Also, my sister-in-laws younger brother looks almost exactly like the guy who plays Frodo. It's freakish.

bigbarada
01-05-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by master jedi
Actually if you look at the back of the card it shows that you stick the ring into a slot and turn it and the figure will turn too when it's on the stand that it comes with.

Did you actually think we didn't know that?

However, it's clear that the toy ring was also added to give kids a life-size little prop to carry out their own adventures. It's a role-playing device.

Rollo Tomassi
01-06-2002, 06:06 AM
ARRGH! When the toys first showed up two months ago, I thought they looked dopey and refused to buy them. Now that I want a fellowship trekking across by bookcase, i can't find Gandalf, Aragorn, or Legolas. Damn, my hesitancy!! maybe some will show up in Cali when I head out there in a few days...

derek
01-06-2002, 12:43 PM
leglaos was the first one i bought. my cousin came over and was laughing because i didn't know who leglaos was. i just thought he looked cool.

derek
01-06-2002, 01:42 PM
check out this custom leglaos in 12 inch scale!

derek
01-06-2002, 01:44 PM
and another. toy biz should of released this guy first in their 12 inch line, along with strider.

JediCole
01-06-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I would love to see the Cave Troll. Was he an exclusive?

I don't know if he is an exclusive or not, but I just bought two (one for me and one for Sith Worm) at a Toys R Us in Arlington, TX for $20.00 each. This figure is HUGE, roughly the height of the POTF2 Rancor with levers in its back to control the arms. It comes with a hammer and the giant pike it tried to spit Frodo on in the movie. It also has a nice length of chain. And the best part is that the head is rubber, but the interior of the lower jaw is plastic, set into an internal skull mechanism which is linked to the right arm lever, so when you work the arm, the mouth opens and closes in a realistic, seamless way. Plus it has electronic sounds that are triggered when the arm is moved. All in all, this is a great cap to the series so far! Hats off to ToyBiz, a comapny I once would not have given much thought to prior to this line.

Darth Cruel
01-07-2002, 12:33 PM
I certainly wish I could share the enthusiasm that everyone else feels on this thread so far. I wanted desperatly to collect them along with my Star Wars figures, but I hate the figures.

I must agree on a lot of the positves that have been stated so far. The Real Scan technology seems to have done it's job and that jaw on the cave troll is one of the nicest actions I have seen on a figure. But those lever-operated bow-drawing, sword-swinging, et al gimmicks have got to go. I hate thelack of poseability they cause and the unsughtly levers sticking out of the figures. I also understand the necessity for the soft accessories, but I am disappointed in the way they are bent and damaged due to the packaging. I bought the Borimir/Lurtz two-pack and was greatly disappointed. Where I am (Southern and Central Cali) they are warming the pegs and I will not be doing anything to change that. The size is not that big an issue, but I do still prefer the 4" sixe format.

bigbarada
01-07-2002, 09:51 PM
Overall, I'm not too happy with how many of the figures turned out. Thus far Sam is my favorite character (based on the film and what's coming up in TTT); but his action figure looks awful. No matter how much I like the character, I see no need to reward a toy manufacturer for a crappy sculpt with my hard earned (and not so hard earned) money. The only figures I own right now are Frodo, Gimli and Lurtz; because I like their characters and their toys came out pretty good. Although Lurtz is pretty much the Darth Maul of the LOTR films.:D

I'm still searching for the Cave Troll and the Ringwraith with Steed.

What does everyone think of those busts and statues? I plan to buy Gimli, Sam and Bill, the Nazgul Steed and a few of the orcs.

bigbarada
01-09-2002, 07:16 PM
Since TTT is coming up soon and we'll probably be seeing toys within 8-10 months, what figures does everyone want from the next two films? This is mostly aimed at people who have read the trilogy; but if there was a character in FOTR that you want as a figure feel free to list it.

For me I want:
Gollum (naturally)
Shelob (how cool would she be?)
Eowyn (in full armor with steed)
King Theoden (in full armor with steed)
Merry (with Stybba, the pony)
Treebeard (along with a few Ents)
Isildur (from the opening of FOTR)
Elrond in Battle Armor (again, from the opening of FOTR)
Sauron (:evil: :evil: :evil: )
Pippin (in full battle gear)