PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Starfighter and Vulture Droid EP3 lego set at KBtoys.com

Jedibill
01-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Kbtoys has this up on there site and on sale

http://www.kbtoys.com/genProduct.html/PID/3571179/ctid/17/INstock/Y/D/

JediTricks
01-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Nice! I put it up in the news, and ordered one myself since it was cheaper with shipping than regular price with tax.

Mandalorian Candidat
01-12-2005, 08:56 AM
The price is now $19.99, not the reported $15.99.

Kidhuman
01-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Well, then again Man. Can., this is KB, always above MSRP.

JediBoulton
01-12-2005, 10:18 AM
Sweet !! -- I just ordered mine also!!

Its great that this was released early -- LEGO has always done well with early stuff !!

HEY HASBRO -- Are you out there ????

Jangu Fett
01-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Ordered mine, yeah the price is $20, instead of $15. Oh well? It was probibly the same price, with shipping that you'll buy the set at KB stores.

JediBoulton, Hasbro is out there. They just don't care what we, the customers, want.

moulman
01-12-2005, 02:41 PM
anoyne think that they might have them at KBtoy stores?

Kidhuman
01-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Worth a shot Moulman.

moulman
01-12-2005, 07:47 PM
called the 1 remaining KB in indy-no such luck

appears on KB.com they:

a) sold out

b) werent suppose to release it yet and pulled it from their site

Kidhuman
01-12-2005, 07:50 PM
They pulled it. It says discontinued which is a crock, it wasnt supposed to be released yet. I wonder how all of you will fair in getting one.

moulman
01-12-2005, 07:52 PM
ya that does kinda suck-hopefully those who ordered will still get it (tho i doubt it)

Kidhuman
01-12-2005, 07:54 PM
They might treat it like a pre-order in that case.

Jangu Fett
01-13-2005, 08:35 AM
Whatever the case, I hope KB sends out a e-mail telling us what's going on. And when they will send out the set.

Jangu Fett
01-13-2005, 09:00 AM
I just checked my order, it's still on schedule to be delivered next week. I think, maybe KB is just out of stock. I mean lego.com is now selling the TIE Fighter, with Vader ( with a light- up lightsaber ). And that was to be released around the same time as the Jedi Starfighter & Vulture Droid.

moulman
01-13-2005, 11:34 AM
I honestly think they pulled it. If it was out of stock, theyd probablly show the words out of stock somewhere where the set is mentioned. (the Falcon is sold out, says 'out of stock' and doesnt give an option to add to cart) Also, you cant find it if you enter the set name under the search box

Jangu Fett
01-13-2005, 04:07 PM
I just got a email from KB's customer service. It is still set to be delivered on time. They said there is no delay, but, gave no reason as to why the JS & VD is no longer listed on their site.

moulman
01-13-2005, 04:45 PM
hmm-interesting

Slicker
01-13-2005, 06:55 PM
I just got a email from KB's customer service. It is still set to be delivered on time. They said there is no delay, but, gave no reason as to why the JS & VD is no longer listed on their site.
Well, then those of you that ordered them early are gonna get the exclusive "ha, ha I got it first" rights. You could probably put 'em on ebay and get a mint from someone that just can't wait 2 months. Flippin' sweet.

moulman
01-13-2005, 08:07 PM
ya lol i checked on ebay-one at 21 and another with a 41 dollar buy now option.. i think i can wait

Jangu Fett
01-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Some of you might be able to get it, before I get my order. I bet you'll be able to find it in stores next week. It wouldn't surprise me. Seeing I went for standard shipping. I can receive it at anytime from the 18th to the 25th. I'll probably find it at my local KB on Monday.

JediTricks
01-16-2005, 08:55 PM
I had standard shipping and it showed up yesterday.

Slicker
01-16-2005, 09:02 PM
Are we gonna get a review or your opinion or are you gonna keep it sealed?

JediTricks
01-16-2005, 09:09 PM
I cracked it open this morning, but I am giving it a day for my opinion to gel.

JediBoulton
01-18-2005, 07:04 AM
My Quick 2 Cents -- I also chose Standard Shipping and received mine Friday afternoon. I put mine together last night and I LOVE IT.

The Anakin Figure is really cool -- He has a few cuts and scars on him -- he also is wearing the glove on the right hand -- pretty cool.

The ship is small -- bout the size of the palm of your hand -- but quite detailed for such a small ship. The landing gear feature is really cool -- as you are putting it together -- it looks as if you are building one of those transformer robots! The Cockpit is roomy with room for the lightsaber to fit. It is connected at the back which makes it easily raised and lowered.

Looking at the ship head on -- you really get the feel of Darth's Tie Fighter -- SWEET!!

The wings fold down a few notches and then you spread open the "air foils" for the ( ) effect. This makes the ship.

This is not really abad piece for $19.00....

The only problems that I have is that it seems that LEGO is starting to get a little lazy on their parts making. Insted of placing several parts together to make up a long wing -- they just make one "LONG PIECE" and call it quits -- Maybe this is easier for young kids -- but when I was 7-8 -- I really enjoyed the challenge of all those "small parts" when putting something together -- then I could look back and say, " WOW -- all those small parts made THAT ?!?! "

Just a thought -- But I have really enjoyed the STAR WARS LEGO Line a lot -- GREAT Sneek Peek Piece !!! :D

Mandalorian Candidat
01-19-2005, 09:02 AM
What about the vulture droid? Is it pretty much the droid fighter from ep1?

JediBoulton
01-19-2005, 09:19 AM
Not sure -- I did not get that set. :)

Battle Droid
01-19-2005, 09:24 AM
The Vulture Droid aka Droid Fighter comes with the Jedi Starfighter.

Here's some great pics of the set.

http://countblockula.home.comcast.net/lego/sets/7256.htm

JediTricks
01-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Ok, here are some of my thoughts on this set....

It's 202 pieces, which makes it right in the middle of a $20 pricepoint, and has several specialty pieces so that reinforces it. At first I wasn't that keen on the set, but after soaking it in I like it some, the problem is that the Vulture Droid is basically just a very slight upgrade from the Lego Droid Starfighter and I don't especially like the design of the Ep 3 Jedi Starfighter from the movie so the toy is stuck with that.

The packaging is dynamic with the Ep 3 lava/vader styling, but the photos aren't particularly flattering to the set itself. There's no Lego '05 catalog which is a real shame since a preview of future sets would have been awesome. I also wish the packaging had photos of the actual movie versions.

The build is a little annoying because it starts small and stays with the small build segments far too long so there's no real sense of what's going on until it's all together. The Vulture Droid in contrast is very straightforward. This whole set is also too dependent on stickers, there are 4 big ones and another 14 smaller ones even though there are also a few tampographed pieces as well (to be fair, the 4 large stickers on the fold-out wings of the Jedi Starfighter really do look good there).

The Vulture Droid is light blue (not baby blue though thankfully, this is the one that's got some gray to it) with dark blue and the addition of white which is a little odd, and uses 8 stickers and 6 red translucent cones (4 for the wing blasters and 2 for the thrusters). It's design is sleeker and has a few small changes, but is basically another Ep 1 Droid Starfighter and even uses the same exact wing pieces. The sleekness here is quite welcome though, it uses a few click-hinge pieces that didn't exist back when that Ep 1 toy came out, as well as some rounded plates and bricks, and it looks quite a bit better this way. The transformation is the same except here the wing/legs also rotate in to have the forward legs in closer to the body than the rear legs, again this looks better than the Ep 1 toy. All in all, the Vulture Droid is a decent companion piece in this set both as a foe for the Jedi Starfighter in the sky and Anakin's lightsaber on the ground.

The Anakin mini-figure is the only one in this set, he's the first pink-skin Lego minifig I have and it's still hard to get used to. I hadn't realized this figure's solemn, scarred head also featured a mic-headset paintjob like that on the Ep 2 Jedi Starfighter Obi-Wan; this Anakin features a wig like that Obi-Wan's but in light brown.

The main attraction of this set is the Jedi Starfighter, and judging from the photos I've seen of the movie version, this is fairly accurate though the Lego version has more yellow than the movie version. The JS uses a new canopy piece which makes up most of the cockpit, it's the right shape when it's in place and that goes a long way towards suggesting the shape of the vehicle; when open, the canopy acts nothing like the movie version, but can't win 'em all. It's a compact vehicle but packs plenty into itself unlike the Ep 2 Jedi Starfighter which was way too big and had less going on; the Ep 3 JS uses several building techniques that I don't think I've ever seen Lego use before, the way the wings attach uses a new click-hinge piece which I like more than most, the way the fold-out wings attach to the main wing is something which I admire because it gets a tough job done in a smart and simple manner, and the front window of the cockpit is something I've never seen tried this way before and hope to see again on future sets. With the pop-out wings opened like in the movie, the vehicle looks a lot like Vader's TIE from the front and that's probably intentional on Lucasfilm's part. The front window which completes the look is a standard radar dish with the TIE Fighter window pattern tampo'ed onto it (mine was tampoed at the wrong rotation so the lines are not straight up-and-down with the Technic stud-axle, but oh well) and the main canopy closes to meet it, Anakin can actually look out of the front or the main canopy, it's an interesting design. As I said before, the front window is held in place by a Technic stud-axle which also holds the control stick and allows the canopy to hinge down to meet the window, this axle is shown in the instructions to be slid into its holder piece all the way to the stud, but this has the canopy too far out in front, you can slide the axle back about a half-stud length until the window meets the canopy and it makes a perfect match without compromising the canopy's ability to open -- I really like that it can do this.

Besides the fold-out wings and unique cockpit, the vehicle also features main wings which can be left flat or clicked down into 2 positions (the first click seems the one closest to the movie design). An R2-D2 head is attached to the left wing like in the film, though I think the head should be placed 1 stud further back to be as accurate as possible. R2 seems to confirm something else, it appears this set is very close to being in scale, as close as any Lego SW set could be anyway. The JS features 3 landing legs that fold flat under the body via click-hinges, 2 long ones in front and a short one in the back -- none of these legs are very intrusive, and 1 image on the box confirms my theory that the front landing legs' feet should be folded up 2 clicks for a closer angular look; I like how clever the rear leg folds up onto itself. The back beneath the cockpit features 2 small thrusters which seems a little out of step with the bigger thrusters of the Ep 2 Jedi Starfighter, but maybe this is how they are in the film. There are also 2 long blasters cannons on the inside edge of the wings in front of the window, and 2 small blasters on the middle outwide of the wings.

This is the section for a few things I would classify as "not great" about the set.... The cockpit is VERY open to space behind the pilot seat, I filled in the part between the thrusters and added a back wall behind the seat to fill in some of the gap, but there's still a little space showing in the back of the canopy from some angles. I think the bottom level of bricks on the set thicken the main body more than it should be, but the set doesn't actually look overly thick from it, except perhaps the back landing leg, and if one was so inclined one could totally remove that layer and replace it with plates (again, except for the back leg). Also, the main wings should be a few studs longer to get the proper proportions of the ship. The only other nitpick I have is the yellow angled bricks just in front of the cockpit on either wing, these are supposed to represent where the ship's wings angle up to surround the cockpit section, but on this set they are too far forward and cut off before they even reach the cockpit instead of having lines that continue on at that height to the back.

All in all, this is a pretty cool set, the colors are good, the design is something really different, and it seems in scale with the figure. I like it enough to recommend to any Lego Star Wars fan.

JediBoulton, which piece was a juniorized over-long simplified piece for you? I didn't find any of those here myself except possibly the main canopy.

JediBoulton
01-20-2005, 05:24 PM
Hey JediTricks -- I thought that the "legs" or wings rather on the Droid Fighter were a little long. It just seems to me that LEGO wanted to say, " Here is the Wing Part -- put it on!"

However -- I still love the set !!

Mandalorian Candidat
01-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the reviews guys. I'm sort of hyped for this set, yet the idea of more stickers really bugs me...even more than the thought of pink-o figures being made standard. I'm boggled why all of the sudden they're switching from decals to stickers which will inevitably fall off.

JediTricks
01-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Boulton, I see what you mean and in mose cases I'd agree, but I think in this case the object was to make transformation as fast as possible. These were designed 6 years ago and are meant to be moved from one set of studs to another all at once, if they were smaller pieces you'd have to move at least 8 of these instead of 4 and they probably wouldn't hold on the outer studs very well.

ManCan, good luck finding one soon. I suspect stickers are cheaper than tampographing, plus they can be re-glued they're not that much of a threat (and luckily Lego uses heavy stock for their stickers, so they don't generally rip up over time). It's probably all about costs, tampo-ingthe fold-out wings alone probably would have been quite a chore (notice how one of the tampo'ed pieces in my set wasn't even aligned properly, with a sticker that's now the kid's fault ;)).

Slicker
01-21-2005, 11:49 PM
The only time that I've ever had problems with stickers peeling up on sets is when I've put them on crooked and didn't notice it until after it was fully on. The corner where I peel it up to remove and replace it always peels up. Other than that I haven't had a single problem ever with the stickers and I've owned tons of sets lots of which are still together to this day in my storage garage.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-18-2005, 06:35 PM
Amazon.com has the JSF/Vult. Droid set on sale for $15 with free shipping. I just ordered mine a few hours ago.

They also have Cloud City for $75, the new TIE/F for $15, the Imperial Inspection set for $37.50, the DV TIE/Y-wing set for $37.50 all with free shipping.

The Rebel Snowspeeder and MEC sets are also on sale, but for some dopey reason neither have free shipping.

JediTricks
03-18-2005, 10:06 PM
If you order the JSF/VD set from Lego, you get the MINI Ep 3 JSF free. I'll have to track down that promo code and see if it's for Lego Club or all of Shop-at-Home.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-21-2005, 11:57 AM
If you order the JSF/VD set from Lego, you get the MINI Ep 3 JSF free. I'll have to track down that promo code and see if it's for Lego Club or all of Shop-at-Home.

My kid's Lego mag says it's for Lego Club (not Brickmaster) but I don't see why anyone couldn't use it. I think the better deal would be to get the MINI JSF through the upcoming TRU promo. If you're getting the Vader Transformation and the clone walker or the Tri-droid fighter anyways, you can get the MINI for free without having to pay for shipping.

Kidhuman
03-21-2005, 11:59 AM
That is actually the CLone Wars Marquette(sp?) of Obi in CLone Armor. Not a custom. Please correct me if wrong Moulman...

JediTricks
03-22-2005, 12:08 AM
My kid's Lego mag says it's for Lego Club (not Brickmaster) but I don't see why anyone couldn't use it. I think the better deal would be to get the MINI JSF through the upcoming TRU promo. If you're getting the Vader Transformation and the clone walker or the Tri-droid fighter anyways, you can get the MINI for free without having to pay for shipping.
Maybe they're actually going to go to the trouble of cross-referencing the LEGO Club member with the order. I doubt it though. ;)

TRU has the TIE Interceptor and ARC-170, Albertsons unfortunately is the one that has the JSF. (Albertsons has a deal with TRU to get toys to sell, that's probably how this was worked out.)

Mandalorian Candidat
03-22-2005, 10:02 AM
That is actually the CLone Wars Marquette(sp?) of Obi in CLone Armor. Not a custom. Please correct me if wrong Moulman...

What ever it is, it's just biatchin'. I'd love to have one of those. The closest thing I have is is a Lego Clone trooper body with OB1's head and a brown cape.