PDA

View Full Version : those losers are already in line for ROTS...

mabudonicus
01-13-2005, 07:44 AM
Ahhh, just heard on the radio that a person identified only as "Rick" is already in line for ROTS somewhere in L.A.

We all knew this thread would happen soon, I'm very :beard: to be the starter...

Discuss....

Jedi Teacher
01-13-2005, 08:18 AM
Yeah, you'd think Rick McCallum would have better things to do then wait in line for his own movie. Then again, maybe George doesn't let him watch it until it comes out.

mabudonicus
01-13-2005, 08:31 AM
ZAP!!!
I was wondering how many posts it would take for a rick Mc joke :beard:

Although, to be fair, it wouldn't surprise me if even GL himself doesn't let himself see it til it hits the bigscreen (see TPM)

QLD
01-13-2005, 08:38 AM
Getting kicked in the balls is bad enough, I sure wouldn't wanna wait in line for it. ;)

Kidhuman
01-13-2005, 09:11 AM
I wonder how much money these people have that they could sit in front of a movie theatre for 20 some-odd weeks. And if mommy is sending food to them, where do they use the restroom? It all baffles the mind. I know 2 weeks before it comes out, I can get advanced tickets without waiting in line. What an idiot

hango fett
01-13-2005, 09:41 AM
why do people do that. in my area, we can just get the tickets a couple of days before it opens.
:rolleyes:
HF

kool-aid killer
01-13-2005, 10:00 AM
Same here, i pick the tickets up two weeks in advance for the first showing and i have no problem seeing it. "Rick," assuming hes even a real person, is the type of geek who makes me ashamed to be a geek. This will even further reinforce the stereotype of us being a bunch of losers. Way to go "Rick," you punk b...

hango fett
01-13-2005, 10:06 AM
amen to that.
HF

stillakid
01-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Same here, i pick the tickets up two weeks in advance for the first showing and i have no problem seeing it. "Rick," assuming hes even a real person, is the type of geek who makes me ashamed to be a geek. This will even further reinforce the stereotype of us being a bunch of losers. Way to go "Rick," you punk b...

Should we get a posse together and go beat the crap out of him? :evil:

sith_killer_99
01-13-2005, 12:24 PM
In a funny twist of fate the theater will decide not to show Star Wars on opening night and will wait until 2 weeks after it's Nationwide release to show the film.

Instead they will be palying "Steel Magnolias". :D

LusiferSam
01-13-2005, 12:35 PM
I wish some looser would do that here. The temp has drop 30 in the last 12 hours and its snowing. I love to walk down town and laugh at them freezing they butt off. Really I like the SW movies but its not my whole life. What's wrong with these people?

El Chuxter
01-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Only four months and this guy gets in the news? Man, when I waited in line for six months to see Batman and Robin, no one even batted an eyelash. Where's my fortune and glory?!?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-13-2005, 01:28 PM
(says in his best Short Round voice) Fortune and Glory!??

I don't really see what the big deal is here, fellas. So, somebody is already waiting in line for the flick: who the hell cares? If this dude wants to spend months of his life in line, let him do it. Surely it doesn't harm any of us in any way shape or form. It's not like its' going to hurt the stereotype that SW fans are mad slick daddy's who get all the ladies and are Superhuman. :rolleyes: Oh, that's right, because we're already stereotyped against, so who gives a damn if he's in line? I mean, if some close minded putz walks by and sees him or hears of this and says, "Ah, obviously all SW Fans are idiots who line up months in advance" then I really don't care what they think.

More power to this guy, i say!

kool-aid killer
01-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Should we get a posse together and go beat the crap out of him? :evil:

Ive got it all planned out, we go dressed as Trekkies and we beat him upside the head shouting out "Spock taught me this, son! Trek for life!!!" and then we run away throwing up the "V" sign or whatever its called. Who knows, maybe if he has any friends we could get them riled up and cause a big Trek/War gang battle. Or we could just drive by and throw some change at him. "Ya freakin bum!"

JMG, i feel this guy is off in la la land because he has months to go before he even gets a whiff of the film. Does he really expect to be shut out of the premiere? Does anybody here anticipate having a hard time seeing this one the day it comes out? Does he not have anything better to do? How many other people pull this crap just to see something they really like? Not many. I have my doubts about whether "Rick" is real, but if so, the man needs to get his priorities right in life.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-13-2005, 02:49 PM
What a fool! He won't see the theatrical trailer, he won't get any of the new stuff, he won't get to go to CIII . . . I don't see how this makes him more of a fan. To me, half the fun is all the anticipation and stuff leading up to the film, not sitting on the ground for four months.

Slicker
01-13-2005, 03:32 PM
I say we all line up and as we walk past him we each blurt out a spoiler. There's enough floating around that we could pretty much do the entire movie. That would be flippin' sweet.

Kidhuman
01-13-2005, 05:13 PM
I say we all line up and as we walk past him we each blurt out a spoiler. There's enough floating around that we could pretty much do the entire movie. That would be flippin' sweet.

Walk past him and say "Anakin is Darth Vader man...."

El Chuxter
01-13-2005, 07:24 PM
"Way to ruin the movie for me!"
--crowd in line for ESB

Bobby Fett
01-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Walk past him and say "Anakin is Darth Vader man....

and Darth Sidious is George Steinbrenner!" :D

JediTricks
01-13-2005, 08:27 PM
In a funny twist of fate the theater will decide not to show Star Wars on opening night and will wait until 2 weeks after it's Nationwide release to show the film.

Instead they will be palying "Steel Magnolias". :DThat very nearly happened to the guys who spent a month in front of the Chinese Theater here in Hollywood waiting for Episode I. LFL demanded some higher-than-normal deal from theaters and a commitment to a minimum of a 8 or 12-week run, and Mann theaters was unwilling to accomodate that long of a run because they had already booked other films (they were willing to turn down Episode I because they had a deal for Wild Wild West or something crappy like that), LFL and Mann weren't reaching an agreement and LFL had even shopped the film to another theater in the area (another part of the agreement between LFL and theater chains was that Ep I would only be in 1 theater in any area) - the independent Vista theater at Hollywood & Sunset - and thus Lucas was going to shine the Chinese Theater because it's owned by Mann. However, because the Chinese is a tradition for opening SW films, that coupled with Lucas learning of the month-long lines at the Mann Chinese and Mann Westwood got him to give in at the last moment.

Anyway, this guy is a tool, makes us all look bad, especially Los Angeles-based fanboys and moviegoers. Perhaps we SoCal fans should get together and next week when he's asleep we cut in line ahead of him, then a few hours after he wakes up, we let a gang of people cut in line behind us so this guy ends up freaking out and going home 4 months before the film starts. :evil:

Slicker
01-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Perhaps we SoCal fans should get together and next week when he's asleep we cut in line ahead of him, then a few hours after he wakes up, we let a gang of people cut in line behind us so this guy ends up freaking out and going home 4 months before the film starts. :evil:
Cuts then cut-backs. Man those are the worst. It's a completely legal line standing move (according to article IV: Chapter 17 page 108 of "The Official Line Standers Reference Guide") but damn it ticks me off when it's done to me.

You could also just wait until he gets up to go to the bathroom and take his seat. The classic "you move your feet you lose your seat."

JediTricks
01-13-2005, 09:17 PM
It's LA, he might just go to the bathroom right there.

How about every night when he falls alseep in his tent or sleeping bag, we gently pick it up and move him to another theater, each day the theater we take him to gets further and further away, until eventually we leave him at the movie theater on Catalina island. :D

Bacta Beast
01-13-2005, 09:47 PM
_
l l
l l
l l
l l
l l
l l
l l
l l
l l
l l
l l _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
l _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _l

Kidhuman
01-13-2005, 11:41 PM
It's LA, he might just go to the bathroom right there.

How about every night when he falls alseep in his tent or sleeping bag, we gently pick it up and move him to another theater, each day the theater we take him to gets further and further away, until eventually we leave him at the movie theater on Catalina island. :D

That would be hilarious. Hit him with a tranc and move him around. Fly him to Denver or something.

2-1B
01-14-2005, 05:13 AM
I say we all line up and as we walk past him we each blurt out a spoiler.

"Spoiler ? Who wants a spoiler ? You will die ALONE."
-Triumph

:D

mabudonicus
01-14-2005, 06:30 AM
Hey JT, I was thinking of ya when I posted this as you are sorta "local" (compared to me, at least)
Any way to get a pic?? We could make some pretty sweet pics if only we had the original image... I would go and heckle him whenever I was in the area....

I don't recall who said it (kool aid maybe??) but that 'Trek/ 'Wars fight would be hilarious- it recalls how I wanted to dress as either wolverine or spiderman at the AOTC premiere (which reminds me, might be time to regenerate my "anyone else planning on dressing as Jar Jar" thread, a true classic which I plan on doing for ROTS too BTW)

And all things considered, we can't look much worse to "normal" people, we all do a good enough job of that (I don't know how many times I've had a crazy expression on my face at the checkout while buying a single action figure)

Maybe we should try and get a story in the news about folks who aren't going to line up 'til opening day :beard:

-EDIT- http://www.komotv.com/stories/34678.htm
So he's in Seattle, what an idiot...... and there IS a pic of him there

JEDIpartner
01-14-2005, 09:17 AM
I am seriously embarassed for them. I'm also sorry that the rest of us, who are fairly normal about our fandom, have to bear the cross of the public's perception of Star Wars fans.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-14-2005, 10:34 AM
"Vader, baby, Vader."

Maybe somebody should go find this guy and tell him how long Vader is in the film for and see if it disagrees with his hopes for the film. lol

Kidhuman
01-14-2005, 11:17 AM
This is what the picture should have looked like

JediTricks
01-16-2005, 08:28 PM
That would be hilarious. Hit him with a tranc and move him around. Fly him to Denver or something.
Trank him and take him to a country where the movie is opening at least a week after the US. ;)

Hey JT, I was thinking of ya when I posted this as you are sorta "local" (compared to me, at least)
Any way to get a pic?? We could make some pretty sweet pics if only we had the original image... I would go and heckle him whenever I was in the area....Dunno which theater this guy is at, but if it's at the Chinese then it's VERY local.... oh, I see you found he's in Seattle, not local.

Man, this guy has taken one too many spins in the dorkotron.

Slicker
01-16-2005, 08:36 PM
I don't even see a TV. If he was a REAL fan he'd have the Trilogy running a constant loop on DVD. This is truly embarrassing but once again the American media make a star out of a complete tool.

Sith Lord 0498
01-16-2005, 10:28 PM
I don't even see a TV. If he was a REAL fan he'd have the Trilogy running a constant loop on DVD. This is truly embarrassing but once again the American media make a star out of a complete tool.

Oh it gets even better, guys. My wife just called me in to watch the news. They had a report on this guy. Apparently, a local Seattle radio station has decided that "this guy needs a DATE!!"

Therefore...they have set up a small table, and girls can come by and have a date with him in line. The clip they showed was some blonde woman eating KFC with him.

I'll be honest...I laughed my butt off and then realized that I was starting to feel embarrassed for the guy. :p

Slicker
01-16-2005, 10:41 PM
Therefore...they have set up a small table, and girls can come by and have a date with him in line. The clip they showed was some blonde woman eating KFC with him.Now that was really nice of his mom.:p She was probably asking him where he keeps the rats for his pet snake and or tarantula in her basement or if she has to go out and get some more.:D

InsaneJediGirl
01-17-2005, 12:12 AM
Hahaha! If he was a true geek he'd have a computer in line to be keeping up with all this.Quite a waste,but it is his time.Why not just buy tickets in advance and a super geek for doing it online in his moms basement surrounded by geekness.

Some will never learn,

JEDIpartner
01-17-2005, 09:30 AM
Man, this guy has taken one too many spins in the dorkotron.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!! :p

mabudonicus
01-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Funny thing, the guy looks less like a typical geek and more like Lanny

Now that was really nice of his mom. She was probably asking him where he keeps the rats for his pet snake and or tarantula in her basement or if she has to go out and get some more.
LOL, man that's rich :beard:

Kidhuman
01-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Funny thing, the guy looks less like a typical geek and more like Lanny :beard:

So thats where Lanny moved too. :beard: He should have taken smallplaces with him too.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-17-2005, 03:57 PM
It's nice to see fellow Star Wars geeks (me included) rank out and call out one of its own. :)

Kidhuman
01-17-2005, 11:11 PM
You said rank out...I havent heard that since 6th grade

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-21-2005, 09:55 PM
You said rank out...I havent heard that since 6th grade

Oh, you remember that day, kh? Is that the time when you had to go the nurse's office for noogie burns.

Kidhuman
01-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Oh, you remember that day, kh? Is that the time when you had to go the nurse's office for noogie burns.

Yo were there.

DarthQuack
01-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Too bad those guys aren't sitting outside in Upstate NY where the tempurature is a balmy -15 BEFORE the windchill which is just insane. So my guess is the temp is about -30.

Slicker
01-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Waiting no more. I read that the city of Seattle booted him from the sidewalks and he's no longer doing it. There reasoning was sound: homeless people can't sleep on the streets why should he be able to.

I also read that since he can't set up shop on the sidewalks he's considering standing it out. He plans on standing 16 hours out of the day and I have no clue where he plans to go the other 8. All that I know is that it's an 8 hour window for me cut in in front of him.

Kidhuman
01-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Haha to him. Get a job loser.

mabudonicus
01-28-2005, 11:01 AM
LOL that is some funny shtuff :D

:beard: to Seattle

JediTricks
01-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Why should he be allowed to stand out there all day though, isn't that loitering?

Slicker
01-29-2005, 02:49 AM
Why should he be allowed to stand out there all day though, isn't that loitering?In the same article I read it said that he was gonna try and go through the city to get something like a street permit which would allow him to stand on the streets.

Now I personally think it's his mission to be able to do it now that the spotlight's on him and he won't give up until the city gives in.

JediTricks
01-29-2005, 02:59 AM
I know it's mean to say, but if this guy somehow gets permission to stand there for the next few months, I really hope the movie doesn't end up playing there after all this. ;)

plo koon 200
01-29-2005, 05:48 AM
You guys are mean. Honestly, if he is going through so much trouble, then this must mean a heck of a lot to him. I guess he is standing up for what he believes is his and he has every right too.

Honestly Jeditricks, if you devoted yourself to something and put a lot of time and effort wouldn't you be dissapointed if it didn't work out.

Think of it this way. What if you worked for two months for a company hoping to get paid and you never caught your check, they went bankrupt, and you have no money. Scenarios like this happen. That really sucks.

mabudonicus
01-29-2005, 07:27 AM
If you worked for 2 months just hoping to get paid I don't know if it'd necessarily be 100% the companies fault- after about 2 weeks you should be hitting the labour board....
I don't think there's too much wrong with saying that this is ridiculous, this film should "mean" about the same to everyone, and the true meaning of what this guy is doing is not so much fulfillment of a "lifelong goal", it would seem, as it is a stupid publicity stunt.... I doubt there are too many of us who plan on not seeing the film on opening day, what percentage of us is already in line????

But I am glad that reeality has entered this, the fawning over those goofs in LA last time was sickening

Kidhuman
01-29-2005, 08:37 AM
I am in line, I got my wireless connection going on my laptop, and everyting. :D :beard: Maybe he should do that and set up a web cam. Charge fopr the site and call it a public study and get grants from the gov't.

General_Grievous
01-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Well, this is my first post. Hope it's a good one.

Why would this guy line up to go see ROTS now? Has he grown bored of spending time in his parents' basement and decided to spend the next 4 months loitering on pavement outside a movie theater?

Has he not learned anything from AOTC?

Okay, look at it this way:

Back in 1999, Phantom Menace tickets were a holy grail for fans, hence why people were waiting in line for so long. Tickets were then sold out for two weeks after release.

Fast forward to 2002. Do you guys remember any lines whatsoever for AOTC?? There were probably about two, one in NY, one in LA. Many people were probably discouraged about Episode 1, so they didn't bother waiting in line for Episode 2. Personally, I feel bad about this, since I feel that AOTC is a much better film than TPM, and it deserved better on a whole. Tickets weren't even sold out on the first day. I was able to not even wait in line for that long. Again, it deserved a better box office. More people went to see "Spider Man" that summer.

Fast forward to today. This guy really should know that he'll probably be able to get tickets to the first show without even waiting in line for 4 months. I'll probably buy my tickets online when they go on sale.

But who are we kidding, anyway? This guy puts the capital "L" in LOSER!!! :D

mabudonicus
01-30-2005, 06:31 AM
That was a pretty decent first post, man, Welcome a :beard: (little joke there, arrrr)

KH- Hope Snigtad is with you and brings you a nice fresh tossed salad every day for sustenance ;) :beard: (I know, I know, I'm dead after school)

But yeah, like you said GG, there were "lines" at AOTC in my area, but they only formed 'cos the theatre was opening kinda early, and only like 30 minutes before the film started, so people sorta had to line up (and the line was fun, when I got outta the car I had arrived in wearing my Jar Jar mask and Leafs jersey, I was swarmed by young padawans and beaten with about a dozen foam lightsabers as the entire line booed lustily, it was a hoot)
But no-one was turned away, I was meeting up with buddies and they showed up as the line was being admitted and there was still no problem....

As a matter of fact, on the day TPM came out (the midnight showing) a buddy I had not seen for some time came over, when I told him what our late-night SW plan was he asked if he could join us- I told him he could try, so he came with us and at 11:55 he was able to buy a ticket and catch the film (not sure if that's a good or bad thing, in retrospect, hmmmm)
So yes, this makes him all the more ridiculous- the only way he can save face is to loudly say "Star WARS?!?!? I thought this was the line for Fantastic Four- guess I'm outta here...." and walk away, whistling, with his hands in his pockets

Hopefully he will see this post and wake up... if not, I hope he takes it too far and gets locked up for vagrancy for just long enough to miss the opening day

JediTricks
02-01-2005, 02:29 AM
You guys are mean. Honestly, if he is going through so much trouble, then this must mean a heck of a lot to him. I guess he is standing up for what he believes is his and he has every right too.

Honestly Jeditricks, if you devoted yourself to something and put a lot of time and effort wouldn't you be dissapointed if it didn't work out.

Think of it this way. What if you worked for two months for a company hoping to get paid and you never caught your check, they went bankrupt, and you have no money. Scenarios like this happen. That really sucks.
What is he working on? He's trying to stay in line for 4 months in a line that won't exist for... 4 months (or maybe ever if that cinema doesn't play the movie). There's no point to it, he could go another 3 months living a normal life and STILL be the "first" in line for this movie. It's a non-achievement, it's like recognizing the world's sleepiest man or Japan's fattest housecat. When you go to work, you do so to make money or to serve the customer or make a discovery, and you do so by putting out effort to achieve goals. What is this guy's goal, other than making Star Wars fans look bad and giving free promotion to a movie that absolutely doesn't need it? What work has he done that has gone to pot: sitting in one place outside? Not exactly a big deal, not exactly tons of planning and effort down the tubes, right?

This isn't like he's the first astronaut to step foot on Mars and the mission got scrubbed at the last second due to weather, the emphasis here was on being "first" to wait in line to give a corporate-owned theater his hard-earned cash so he could then wait in another line just so he could see a movie that hundreds of people who DIDN'T need to wait 4 months in line could see at the exact same time as him - this is NOT an achievement, this is like one of those guys on Aint-It-Cool-News who posts "FIRST!!!" in the TalkBack because he's trying to accumulate enough frequent-nerd-points to get himself a flight to New Zealand to touch the sacred ground where Lord of the Rings was filmed.

You know what waiting in line for more than 2 hours did for people at Ep 1 and 2 at the Grauman's Chinese theater here in Hollywood? It got them a disappointed look on their faces when they found out that people got primo opening day tickets over the PHONE while they had to settle for crappy 2nd-day tix.

stillakid
02-01-2005, 12:43 PM
frequent-nerd-points.

Dorkitron...frequent-nerd-points....

I think you need to start a bumper sticker business. :D

JediTricks
02-02-2005, 04:42 AM
Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitresses. :D

2-1B
02-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Well, this is my first post. Hope it's a good one.

Why would this guy line up to go see ROTS now? Has he grown bored of spending time in his parents' basement and decided to spend the next 4 months loitering on pavement outside a movie theater?

Has he not learned anything from AOTC?

Okay, look at it this way:

Back in 1999, Phantom Menace tickets were a holy grail for fans, hence why people were waiting in line for so long. Tickets were then sold out for two weeks after release.

Fast forward to 2002. Do you guys remember any lines whatsoever for AOTC?? There were probably about two, one in NY, one in LA. Many people were probably discouraged about Episode 1, so they didn't bother waiting in line for Episode 2. Personally, I feel bad about this, since I feel that AOTC is a much better film than TPM, and it deserved better on a whole. Tickets weren't even sold out on the first day. I was able to not even wait in line for that long. Again, it deserved a better box office. More people went to see "Spider Man" that summer.

Fast forward to today. This guy really should know that he'll probably be able to get tickets to the first show without even waiting in line for 4 months. I'll probably buy my tickets online when they go on sale.

But who are we kidding, anyway? This guy puts the capital "L" in LOSER!!! :D

Big talk from a n00b who himself is already in line to see Rockin' Deuce part Deuce. :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

General_Grievous
02-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Yeah, but that one's worth lining up six months in advance for. :D

Jargo
02-25-2008, 09:40 PM
hurhurhur LOSER!!!!! hurhur hur.

CaptainSolo1138
02-27-2008, 08:50 AM
When does this RotS movie come out? I'm kind of sick of standing in this line.