PDA

View Full Version : Why Vintage is better, part deux

Bel-Cam Jos
08-20-2001, 12:47 PM
This is yet another thread from the old Forums:

http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=15&PID=4418

Why Vintage is better
5-08-2001 - 07:46 PM
This isn't a "Bash POTJ" thread. I have noticed some things were just better about the old figures than the new ones of the post-1995 lines. For instance, the straight poses meant no Vintage figure looked weird or couldn't stand real well (except EV-9D9). In my opnion, the cloth accessories beat most of the molded and soft goods of today anyday.

Am I alone in my inability to forget the past? Better not be! 'Cause in my day, we...

JEDIpartner
08-20-2001, 01:02 PM
I loved it when Kenner started getting really creative. I just about peed when I saw the Royal Guard. That was one of the first ROTJ figures I purchased. I couldn't believe how awesome the sculpt was and that "velvety" robe was just too cool!

I loved the endor figures with their ponchos and Han with his trenchcoat. Those rocked!!! I love the cloth accessories and I wish they would bring them back. I purchased a couple of those accessory packs for the E1 figures so I could have the Jedi robes for Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon... LOVE those!

Thrawn
08-20-2001, 02:04 PM
Testing...

Anyway - if vintage didn't rule then why would Hasbro just recyle all the vintage bodies for the ships they make?
Esentially they are EXACTLY the same, just with more paint and less electronics for more money.

artdoesart
08-20-2001, 02:48 PM
thrawn, sorry to take up space but nice avatar? who did it? haha well hope u like it, let me know if you want more detail.. but its hard with a blue face u know?

Thrawn
08-20-2001, 03:19 PM
If I could only get my hands on the guy who made that avatar I'd....:D

My favorite Thrawn pic is the one by Dave Dorman - has the big gold shoulder boards and the rank badge, but you would have to shrink this one down a bit for that detail and more work, but if you are up to the challenge - run with it.

Also - post how much you like vintage over POTJ while you are at it.;)

TTYL

artdoesart
08-20-2001, 03:41 PM
Thrawn,

hey send me the pic and iw ill redo.. get my address from Steve. in any case yeah i agree that VINTAGE is better because we can relate to it more, and also notible comments made earlier are true.

i loved the cloth capes etc, that made the figures "neat". nowadays they look really cool but i don't like the plastic so much. i do not know though its hard to say. perhaps we are a little biased since the vintage stuff looks "right" to us because when we were little we idolized the damn things.... and whats better than getting a pair of plyers to see if u could pull out boba fetts rocket?

Mandalorian Candidat
08-20-2001, 04:36 PM
Sorry to break up your avatar love fest guys, but back to the subject.

I absolutely disagree that vintage stuff is across the board better than POTJ, POTF, EP1, etc. The newer figures generally have better sculpts and absolutely have better articulation. They usually have better (and more) accessories as well.

The strength of the vintage line lays in the durability of the figures. They are beefier (more plastic) and aren't as easily breakable. I mean, look at the EP1 Anakin and Ody Mandrell figures as well as all the Leias. You could snap them in half as easy as Mr. Miyagi with a bottle of beer. Their other cool features are the cloth capes and robes. Where they didn't have the cloth, the robes were incorporated as actual parts of the figure, a la the Emperor.

However, when it comes down to fondness between the two generations, I pick the vintage every time. It just has to do with nostalgia I guess.

bigbarada
08-20-2001, 09:32 PM
I will always prefer Vintage, probably because I see it as a part of my history. I remember my main goal as a kid was to own all 77 figures, then 79, then 92, but you get the idea.

It also harkens back to a time when Star Wars was the unchallenged king of the world. Whereas nowadays, Star Wars figures are lucky to get half the aisle space of Power Rangers.

darth chuck
08-20-2001, 10:46 PM
I love my vintage figs, and I have them all. But, I must agree with MC that the current line of figs is much much more detailed with accurate scale and accessories.

However, some of the vintage figs do stand up very well to the current line. For example, the Imperial Guard, original Klaatu, Squidhead, and by default, all those not yet made in the current line (dignitary, Amanaman, Cloud car pilot, quite few Ewoks)

Eternal Padawan
08-21-2001, 02:34 AM
The old Cloud City wing guards hold their own too. I've got Bespin escape Lando backed up by the black guy, the mexican guy, the asian guy, and the retard. And disco Lobot, too (sigh)

QLD
08-21-2001, 08:59 AM
I will always have fond memories of my vintage figures, but the new ones are hands down, every day, and twice on Sunday, better. There is really no room for debate.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-21-2001, 11:43 AM
Another minor detail was the card backs on Vintage figs. Now you get to check off (all of you are checking off the figures you get on the backs of the cards, right?) about 16-20 figures, but back in the day you have virtually all the figures made up 'til then, aside from "new sculpts" like Limbs Threepio or Scope R2.

Beat that, POTJ! Please? :)

JEDIpartner
08-21-2001, 12:01 PM
POWER RANGERS... snicker snicker... what the hell is up with that??? Does ANYONE care about the Power Rangers anymore? Didn't they go down about 5 years ago when they started releasing all those "great" full-length theatrical features??

Power Rangers... BAH! (nice aside there, BigBarada)

Mandalorian Candidat
08-21-2001, 02:23 PM
Thanks for bringing up the cards BCJ. The vintage ones are so much better than the crap we get now. The picture on the front just made the figure that much more appealing. The figure list on the back made collecting fun because you could see what was coming up next without having to log on (sorry SSG) because Al Gore hadn't invented the Internet yet.

bigbarada
08-21-2001, 08:18 PM
I think I saw about one and a half aisles dedicated to Power Rangers the last time I was at TRU, with about two rows of pegs for POTJ figures. Maybe it's because the PR stuff is really big.

My point was that Star Wars figures nowadays don't rule the roost, like they did in the middle of the last trilogy. Blame who you want for the lack of demand (Hasbro, Ep1, Lucas), I just calls 'em as I sees 'em.

Personally I blame Hasbro for over-charging and over-producing on Ep1 toys. If they had debuted at $3-4 per figure Hasbro still would've made millions, even if they lost money on the first few shipments.

This was one of the appeals of the vintage line back in 78, each SW figure was under $2, while the larger Mego and GI Joe stuff was significantly more. So what is a kid going to spend his allowance money on? One big figure or several small figures?

And don't even get me started on the cards....

Lobito
09-04-2001, 05:24 PM
I think the POTF2/POTJ molds are way superior, but the vintage toys are the ones which started it all, so i would give it a draw.

At the end they are all SW.

GNT
09-08-2001, 11:22 PM
Because Vintage didn't have pack ins until the end of the line (coins)

POTF2 had it since the nearly beginning :)